Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the official forums have always been full of tvtropes addicted superspergs and asskissers demanding eternal fealty to prince balder in exchange for his magnanimity in bestowing unto us the mighty Pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The archons showing up down there was equally rear end-pully as anything else that's happened, really. Erfworld has a "strict" ruleset that everyone agrees upon to follow/believe in, but the comic is all about breaking the rules constantly.

It worked better when it was just Parson breaking them against impossible odds, but it still works with OP erfworlders doing it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It was certainly more set up than uncroaking a volcano, which I don't recall anyone complaining too much about.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well it just kinda felt like watching one of the "Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing" videos. Wanda won by doing nothing besides a bit of stalling.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cat Mattress posted:

Well it just kinda felt like watching one of the "Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing" videos. Wanda won by doing nothing besides a bit of stalling.

Has Wanda ever actually done anything helpful on purpose?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

Has Wanda ever actually done anything helpful on purpose?

Inaction is the only helpful action Wanda can take.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

White Coke posted:

Inaction is the only helpful action Wanda can take.

Well, I mean, she sometimes does helpful things just because they're obvious, like: she gets a tool that lets her raise any corpse as a loyal immortal servant for free, so she starts raising all the corpses she sees. That's helpful but it's not really a choice on her part; it's just her doing the obvious thing with the options presented to her.

I can't remember any given occasion on which Wanda had an actual decision to make and chose correctly.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

She made many choices in Book 0, some of which may even have been correct.

More recently...? I guess trying to murder Janice was a smart decision, even if it didn't work. Preventing Lilith from trying to kill Charlie, knowing that Fate would have stopped her?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

She made many choices in Book 0, some of which may even have been correct.

More recently...? I guess trying to murder Janice was a smart decision, even if it didn't work. Preventing Lilith from trying to kill Charlie, knowing that Fate would have stopped her?

She's definitely been consciously trying to make new and better decisions, she's just very bad at it.

Of course, she's by no means stupid, and she's largely bad at making decisions because Erfworld has tried very hard to hammer all the independence out of her, so it's possible that she's going to improve under Parson's influence.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

She's been wedged into a rather passive position narratively for some time now as well. When she wasn't, you know, literally imprisoned she was making more active choices.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think it's interesting that the pliers being a tool of necromancy is probably only the case because they were picked up by a necromancer. If any other class that looks at Strings were to claim it, it would probably have completely different abilities.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bobulus posted:

I think it's interesting that the pliers being a tool of necromancy is probably only the case because they were picked up by a necromancer. If any other class that looks at Strings were to claim it, it would probably have completely different abilities.

Is that really true? It seems just as likely that they'd only work for a Croakamancer.

I mean, lots of people who weren't Croakamancers, like Ansom, picked them up and wielded them but couldn't use their powers. It seems like the two most likely explanations are "it works for any Croakamancer and only for them" or "literally only Wanda can use the Arkenpliers because they were created for her and nobody else."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the last time she made a decision on her own initiative that was correct i'd say was her choice to take command of the battle at portal park and order the caster linkup. that was pretty shrewd and it ended up being the right call.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Rand Brittain posted:

Is that really true? It seems just as likely that they'd only work for a Croakamancer.

I mean, lots of people who weren't Croakamancers, like Ansom, picked them up and wielded them but couldn't use their powers. It seems like the two most likely explanations are "it works for any Croakamancer and only for them" or "literally only Wanda can use the Arkenpliers because they were created for her and nobody else."

There's also no evidence that Jetstone ever handed the pliers to anyone besides the royal family to test, and none of them were casters. I think it's fair to say that there's some prerequisite along the lines of 'master class caster of string manipulation type'.

At the very least, I'd disagree with the notion that the pliers were made for Wanda specifically. The Titans have never been portrayed as being so specific in their actions.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

My favorite theory is that the Tools can't attune to Royals

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

isndl posted:

At the very least, I'd disagree with the notion that the pliers were made for Wanda specifically. The Titans have never been portrayed as being so specific in their actions.

You mean, they've never been portrayed as having detailed and specific plans for certain people's lives? I'm not so sure about that...

EDIT: Also, Wanda is Royal.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I guess she isn't? I was thinking "Lady" meant she was at least Noble.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 29, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

You mean, they've never been portrayed as having detailed and specific plans for certain people's lives? I'm not so sure about that...

EDIT: Also, Wanda is Royal.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I guess she isn't? I was thinking "Lady" meant she was at least Noble.

No, the Titans themselves have never been about specifics. They made the world, they carelessly lost a gem that resulted in a decisive defeat for Stanley prior to TBfGK, but they've never said 'this is meant for you specifically'. That's the whole argument between Royalism and Toolism, that Royals have divine mandate from lineage whereas Toolists have it via attunement. People are assuming Titanic will, but it's all inference and never explicit.

When I said that Jetstone only handed the pliers to the royal family, I meant that they only gave the pliers to warlords to test. I don't think any of the Jetstone casters were royals, or in any case they were not regarded highly enough to be granted a unique artifact. Wanda is indeed a royal, if I'm remembering her origin story right.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

isndl posted:

Wanda is indeed a royal, if I'm remembering her origin story right.

No she's not. Her father was Overlord, not King.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Ah, that bit I didn't remember. Mark her down as plebeian then.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Wanda knows she's being railroaded to do certain things, so she knows she can do whatever and it'll come to pass in a preordained way. Keep this in mind when judging her actions, she knows she'll get out of any situation alive and relatively fine until she gets to the last of the prophecied encounters.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's not really her belief system at all? She CAN do whatever and have things come to pass, but certainly not in a preordained way. Her whole "easy way and the hard way" spiel.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

reignonyourparade posted:

That's not really her belief system at all? She CAN do whatever and have things come to pass, but certainly not in a preordained way. Her whole "easy way and the hard way" spiel.

That's not the point he was making, though -- stuff like the way she acted in this encounter with Charlie, which might seem like a silly degree of faith in your immortality or just plain fatalism in other people, was a fine way to play it, because no, the archons WEREN'T going to be able to kill her. Why settle for anything less than an equal share of Charlescomm?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
All she asked of Charlie was what she already had working for GK, it didn't seem that unreasonable. I doubt Charlie was exactly dealing in good faith though.

I'm really looking forward to another update from his perspective right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zoe posted:

All she asked of Charlie was what she already had working for GK, it didn't seem that unreasonable. I doubt Charlie was exactly dealing in good faith though.

Huh, you know, she did in fact not ask for anything she didn't have working for GK. And yeah, Charlie is never dealing in good faith.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Zoe posted:

She asked for half his archons including his most senior one. I presume in this case, she meant to decrypt them so they were "hers". There was no way he was gonna give her that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

JuniperCake posted:

She asked for half his archons including his most senior one. I presume in this case, she meant to decrypt them so they were "hers". There was no way he was gonna give her that.

Right, and half of the senior soldiers of GK, except Stanley's knights, are decrypted. And I'm sure there had been decrypted Hobgoblins in the past. lets look at GK's current leadership, it's Chief Warlord is Decrypted, and most of its inner circle is decrytped, as are the majority of its casters.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, Wanda definitely isn't co-ruler of Gobwin Knob and she's not immune to being disbanded.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Onmi posted:

Right, and half of the senior soldiers of GK, except Stanley's knights, are decrypted. And I'm sure there had been decrypted Hobgoblins in the past. lets look at GK's current leadership, it's Chief Warlord is Decrypted, and most of its inner circle is decrytped, as are the majority of its casters.

Yeah but she didn't ask to kill them to decrypt them. They died from events in the comic and most came from other sides which were former enemies.

She was asking to kill half of charlie's archons including his most favored foxer and decrypt them.Which one is that anyways? I can't remember but it would be pretty hilarious if its Tondelayo. That's a bit different. Also I'm pretty sure Charlie cares alot more for the units in his care than Stanley does for his. Like Stanley appreciates useful units like Parson and will go out of his way to help them out, but I doubt he is emotionally invested in them on the same level that Charlie is for his archons.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 30, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah but she didn't ask to kill them to decrypt them. They died from events in the comic and most came from other sides which were former enemies.

She was asking to kill half of charlie's archons including his most favored foxer and decrypt them.Which one is that anyways? I can't remember but it would be pretty hilarious if its Tondelayo. That's a bit different. Also I'm pretty sure Charlie cares alot more for the units in his care than Stanley does for his. Like Stanley appreciates useful units like Parson and will go out of his way to help them out, but I doubt he is emotionally invested in them on the same level that Charlie is for his archons.

The other way to look at it is that Stanley isn't anywhere near as controlling as Charlie is. Stanley has put his foot down (Telling her not to decrypt a still living Jack because he happened to like him) mostly because of their different grand strategies.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Onmi posted:

The other way to look at it is that Stanley isn't anywhere near as controlling as Charlie is. Stanley has put his foot down (Telling her not to decrypt a still living Jack because he happened to like him) mostly because of their different grand strategies.

Oh dear, I just realized - in hindsight, the reason she suggested croaking & decrypting Jack wasn't (mostly!) because she's cruel, ruthless and evil, but because she saw an opportunity to free him from the Deal of a Lifetime and have him brief Parson. She just couldn't explain her true reason to Stanley and hoped he'd be uncaring enough to allow it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Oh dear, I just realized - in hindsight, the reason she suggested croaking & decrypting Jack wasn't (mostly!) because she's cruel, ruthless and evil, but because she saw an opportunity to free him from the Deal of a Lifetime and have him brief Parson. She just couldn't explain her true reason to Stanley and hoped he'd be uncaring enough to allow it.

Annnnndddd now I sat down and reread all of book 2 epilogue. The art style is so jarring between now and then.

Except Jack. Mfer, always looking dapper.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, "Isaac" is officially starting to creep me out.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Welp the MK is hosed.

I wonder if it's possible to contain the Isaac-borg by sealing off every portal? Cause the Deiform doesn't seem like something you could conceivably fight if it decides it just wants to eat every caster.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

What does Deiform need with a dirtamancer?

They share juice when linked, right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

nimby posted:

What does Deiform need with a dirtamancer?

They share juice when linked, right?

To give Wanda a way up? To sink every portal? To reshape the MK to the Deiforms image, maybe it just wants to rebuild the Temple?

EDIT: Oh. Those are the plans to Charlescomm.

Oh.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It is legitimately hilarious how badly killing off the Great Minds is going for charlie.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

reignonyourparade posted:

It is legitimately hilarious how badly killing off the Great Minds is going for charlie.

It's especially hilarious if the Deiform didn't actually give a drat about rescuing Wanda and only killed all the Archons so he could get Charlie's pet Dirtamancer.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

It's especially hilarious if the Deiform didn't actually give a drat about rescuing Wanda and only killed all the Archons so he could get Charlie's pet Dirtamancer.

It's probably a two birds with one stone thing. Wanda is a useful tool against Charlie in her own right.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

EDIT: Oh. Those are the plans to Charlescomm.

Oh.

I didn't notice. Guess the Deiform is going to sink charlescomm the way Charlie sank the temple.

Gotta hope Ivan "surrendering" counts as changing sides so he doesn't trigger massive penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Is there any reason to think this is something other than a normal linkup? Ivan's physical body is unharmed so his strings should steal lead to it and Wanda.