Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
The new season of HoC is even worse than the last, some-loving-how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Famethrowa posted:

hm yes. the magazine named after lost-cause royalists is the true vanguard of cool

The Campbells Butchering Us at Glencoe Doesn't Make Them Edgy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

yoober posted:

translation: both sucked after the first season

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lol i wish

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

a prescient indictment of identity politics

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"The Dirtbag Left have become the cutting-edge of the ruling ideology; the spearhead of the establishment’s ongoing effort to mitigate the damage done by the counterculturalists. They become the primary organ of control, the filter through which alt-right ideas are presented to a wider, more polite audience in order to dissipate their radicalism"? madness. pure madness

there's nothing less cool than thinking right wing contrarianism is punk rock

it wasn't edgy in the 70s when it was at least a novel idea and it isn't edgy now

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

there's nothing less cool than thinking right wing contrarianism is punk rock

it wasn't edgy in the 70s when it was at least a novel idea and it isn't edgy now

what's more punk rock than an octogenarian austrian in a bowtie saying we should be able to sign our kids' sex slavery contracts

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The idea that self-identified leftists don't really believe in that ideology, and that they're simply adopting its trappings in order to look edgy and cool, is pretty ridiculous coming from the ideology of people who """ironically""" post nazi worship material on 4chan

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
(((ironically)))

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
That Jacobite article is the dumbest thing I've ever partially read lmfao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
even the name of the site is reactionary lol

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Matt Zerella posted:

I get the Newsroom/TWW hate but aside from maybe some questionable writing, does HoC really fall into the liberal lanyard worship debate club bullshit?

If anything not kind of throws away all the "respect the office and always have facts to prove you're worthy and right and good"?

I'm honestly just curious here.

I think so, because it's the counterweight to TWW/Newsroom's politics of respectability. HoC shows politicians (well, one politician at least) as these 12-moves-ahead masterminds that know how to say the right things and pull the strings to get stuff done. Unlike in real life where it's Jim from Mississippi who got voted in 30 years ago for being racist, never has to campaign because he's got an R next to his name, doesn't do anything except follow the party line, and can kick back in lobbyist money until he gets caught in an airport bathroom and is unceremoniously booted.

House of Cards is Game of Thrones + The West Wing, so there's your answer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

a prescient indictment of identity politics

It was kinda funny when they tried to keep up the vampir->gay metaphor after establishing that literally all vampires are evil uncontrollable murderers.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Narrator posted:

I think so, because it's the counterweight to TWW/Newsroom's politics of respectability. HoC shows politicians (well, one politician at least) as these 12-moves-ahead masterminds that know how to say the right things and pull the strings to get stuff done. Unlike in real life where it's Jim from Mississippi who got voted in 30 years ago for being racist, never has to campaign because he's got an R next to his name, doesn't do anything except follow the party line, and can kick back in lobbyist money until he gets caught in an airport bathroom and is unceremoniously booted.

House of Cards is Game of Thrones + The West Wing, so there's your answer.

I kind of wish they'd do an episode devoted to The Thick of It. They already had one episode opening be a monologue from that show. And it's basically the anti West Wing in that basically everyone on it is overly ambitious, self-centered incompetent.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/ShutUpAndrosky/status/869676238603919360

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
unironically agc

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
One time there was a steam sale where I bought dark siders 2 because I confused with dark souls 2. What I'm saying is that probably accounts for half of jacobite's subscriptions

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/869620365877760001

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

also, crazy thought, I think he may have been joking.

yeah i hadn't listened yet and thought he'd be way more aggressively david cross about it

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Okay real talk, can anyone actually parse this? It's like trying to read graffiti from a moving car.

Chapo is fake-radical, because they use their real names and faces. Alt-right nazis are the real radicals, because they use anime avatars & fake names on twitter, and their lives would be ruined if anyone found out who they are offline.

That fat, crying nazi firefighter is the true spirit of revolution :smugdog:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I was initially excited about HoC because I'd love to watch a show about backstabbing in Congress but then they had to gently caress it up and make it about the White House like a billion other dumb shows.

I was also excited at the initial crawl in The Phantom Menace when it sounded like we were going to get some trade negotiation action so....

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
similarly i was disappointed political animals wasn't about white house pets

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

covfefe

Dirt
May 26, 2003

We're all gonna die

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

he died on the toilet mid tweet didn't he

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Reince finally snapped and grabbed the phone

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
not with a bang but a whimper. covfefe covfefe covfefe

Dirt
May 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/869777832670638081

I don't see how Trump can recover from this

We rate Dogs is dunking on him

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Joementum posted:

I was initially excited about HoC because I'd love to watch a show about backstabbing in Congress but then they had to gently caress it up and make it about the White House like a billion other dumb shows.

I was also excited at the initial crawl in The Phantom Menace when it sounded like we were going to get some trade negotiation action so....

Don't worry, there are dozens of us.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Citizen Kane :: Rosebud
Donald Trump :: _________

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MR PRESIDENT

edit: oh gently caress me. this dork is a writer for cracked

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Famethrowa posted:

MR PRESIDENT

https://twitter.com/PissPigGrandma/status/869786710787239936

There really are so many of these guys

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Covfefe trap house

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Has anyone first met their spouse in trump mechies yet

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
lol @ jacobite magazine I was wondering where Nick Land ended up

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

MR PRESIDENT

Worse, he's one of the video producers.

That place would have gotten so much better had they dropped the "We at Cracked..." byline they used on quite a bunch of articles, which gives it kind of a monolithic view despite a good part of those pieces being just verticals and blogs and listicles unceremoniously dumped (Which is now a bigger nowadays with more articles just listing stuff they had on the shop, but at least now they have way more quality control given they'd outright have vile poo poo sneaked on said articles).

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This is the worst thing on the internet
https://twitter.com/bortofdarkness/status/869792637103910912

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869858333477523458

Enjoy!

this at least makes it seem like he take an L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU