Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also it was made worse by my incredibly smug Guardian reading liberal colleague who prides herself on her progressive facebook posting sitting 10 feet away and not opening her mouth to say a word.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sorry from like 500 posts back but I love this too much, my favourite thing is the comment thread where he starts out with chipper responses to people and then gets sunk under the wave of derision and stops replying.

What a loving plonker.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wasn't the last tube bomb a White British guy on the autism spectrum with no political motivation? Or at least conveniently not described as terrorism.

Fortunately it fizzled, and the vast majority of people with autism or learning disability aren't likely to blow you up on a train either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

He's one of the Jolyons, grown in a vat and released by radical centrists in response to Corbyn winning the Labour leadership.

He's not the one who fucks his windmill.

Jolyon Green is people.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

El Grillo posted:

Have you guys seen this poo poo (Guardian video today, lady with a disability affected by cuts): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbUqcc2bGs

I am loving seething. May and her shitbags are unbelievable cunts. gently caress them.

My missus knows this lady and does some work with her, it's heartbreaking :(

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't the last tube bomb a White British guy on the autism spectrum with no political motivation? Or at least conveniently not described as terrorism.

Fortunately it fizzled, and the vast majority of people with autism or learning disability aren't likely to blow you up on a train either.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40059351

it was yes. not enough evidence of a political motivation to be charged under the terrorism act according to the Met. still going away for 15 years

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://twitter.com/rascalblog/status/869532830786875392

Not confirmed but not entirely unrealistic

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oberleutnant posted:

My boss just said that he got on the tube this morning and saw "a muslim man with a woman in the full letterbox" and that "it was a bit tactless for them to be riding on the tube at a time like this, but the husband probably wouldn't have blown himself up with his wife there, at least".
I remarked that, on balance, he probably wasn't likely to blow himself up anyway, which drew a response of "well I'm not too sure about that....", before descending into an incredibly awkward and prolonged silence.

What's the time period following such a terrorist attack that Muslim people should be invisible for?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So it turns out my current MP is extremely hard working, has been active in the community, with more surgeries held than most any other MP, and is the head of the Trade Union representation for PCS at Westminster.

So now I'm stuck between voting for someone who I think is a good egg from Labour, but doesn't support independence, or a known good egg who does.

Except my girlfriend is pretty partisan and took my discussing potentially voting SNP badly when I brought it up briefly this morning.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Aren't the SNP now pro-austerity or is that more propaganda?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Well that sucks, but at least you are spoilt for choice of good politicians to vote for: Why is scotland hogging them all, when a bunch of us in England have none.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Vote for Policies has finally been updated with the 2017 manifestos (for England and Wales), pop along and recoil in horror when you discover you've been a secret 'kipper all along.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Verizian posted:

The manifesto includes a massive stimulus package so no, they're not pro-austerity.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

mehall posted:

So it turns out my current MP is extremely hard working, has been active in the community, with more surgeries held than most any other MP, and is the head of the Trade Union representation for PCS at Westminster.

So now I'm stuck between voting for someone who I think is a good egg from Labour, but doesn't support independence, or a known good egg who does.

Except my girlfriend is pretty partisan and took my discussing potentially voting SNP badly when I brought it up briefly this morning.

independence has already been rejected in the recent referendum and it's not the be all and end all.
however many MPs the SNP get next month, another referendum is not happening any time soon.
vote Labour for the chance we might actually get a Labour government again instead of this current Tory disaster, or at least be in a position to get one next time round in a few years.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
What do you think of the fidget spinner craze UKMT?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

The manifesto includes a massive stimulus package so no, they're not pro-austerity.

actions speak louder than words

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Thanks Ants posted:

What's the time period following such a terrorist attack that Muslim people should be invisible for?

Thousand years.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Thanks Ants posted:

Do muslims have magical powers?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Verizian posted:

Aren't the SNP now pro-austerity
Yes, they gutted education for years and now that's hosed they're onto local government as the last refuge of things they haven't tanned completely despite running a deficit of 9%.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

mehall posted:

I'm in sort of the same position. My current (SNP) MP is really good, and locally I'd like to support her. But on a UK level I'd rather vote Labour, even if that means supporting Scottish Labour at the same time.

Not that it likely matters who I choose because the SNP took over 50% of the vote in my constituency last GE.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

permanently, I suppose.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

My local MP is SNP and seems to do a reasonably good job, all the buses and such run by the council and are good and cheap. Bin collection is a bit bad though, these are the sum of my interactions with the local government.
Seems about as good as Brighton which was the last place I lived that had a good local government.
By constrast my hometown bankrupted itself by trying to swindle a neighbouring town over shopfront rights and had BNP on it.

Gonna vote (shudder) Scottish Labour though but its very unlikely to flip, trying to convince my girlfriend to vote for them instead of SNP but... Kezia.

e: poo poo now I'm reminded we have FPTP again, I really want Labour to win but me and my friends votes are gonna be pissed into the wind like a majority of Labour's votes. Woo! what a country.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
think of all the army incubators

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mehall posted:

If it's a safe SNP seat then vote Labour. Like, in Inverness, my vote doesn't matter. The SNP will win. The Labour candidate is the very definition of Scottish Labour, which is to say awful & opposed to the relatively moderate manifesto put forward by Corbyn. But I'll vote for him safe in the knowledge he can't win so it doesn't matter that he'd likely immediately join the awkward squad at Westminster.

Scottish Labour really need to do something about how poo poo they are & how actively off-putting they are for a lot of potential Labour voters by just being utterly worthless at opposing the SNP on anything except independence. Which I support.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

independence has already been rejected in the recent referendum and it's not the be all and end all.
however many MPs the SNP get next month, another referendum is not happening any time soon.
vote Labour for the chance we might actually get a Labour government again instead of this current Tory disaster, or at least be in a position to get one next time round in a few years.

Voting Labour in most Scottish constituencies will split the left vote and risk letting the Tories in. In addition, a lot of Labour candidates up here are anti-Corbyn and would keep putting the knife in should they get elected. The SNP, however, would have no choice but to vote for a Corbyn government should Labour pick up enough seats in England- anything they do that might conceivably aid the Tories would be electoral suicide.

If you're in Scotland, vote pragmatically, and in most cases (with the exception of Ian Murray's constituency maybe) this means voting SNP.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

If it's a safe SNP seat then vote Labour. Like, in Inverness, my vote doesn't matter. The SNP will win. The Labour candidate is the very definition of Scottish Labour, which is to say awful & opposed to the relatively moderate manifesto put forward by Corbyn. But I'll vote for him safe in the knowledge he can't win so it doesn't matter that he'd likely immediately join the awkward squad at Westminster.

Thats the stuff.

The smell of democracy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Voting Labour in most Scottish constituencies will split the left vote and risk letting the Tories in. In addition, a lot of Labour candidates up here are anti-Corbyn and would keep putting the knife in should they get elected. The SNP, however, would have no choice but to vote for a Corbyn government should Labour pick up enough seats in England- anything they do that might conceivably aid the Tories would be electoral suicide.

If you're in Scotland, vote pragmatically, and in most cases (with the exception of Ian Murray's constituency maybe) this means voting SNP.

Nah, I am gonna vote Labour. The SNP are alright but Corbyn is better and there is "nae danger" of my area going Tory (I think they're called "Cunts" in Scots slang).

e: I haven't seen a huge amount of evidence of the SNP being left wing. They seem to be centrists in favour of public investment, which happens to put them on the far-left scale in terms of England but nowhere else.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

What do you think of the fidget spinner craze UKMT?

I think it's completely inexplicable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

The SNP are not a left vote, they are a nationalist vote. Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh is not left wing. Some SNP MPs? Sure. But where was this attitude in 2015 when good left-wing MPs like Katy Clark were unseated by some total party hack who would never break the SNP whip?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Verizian posted:

The SNP are pro-austerity (and pro-corporation) right up to the moment somebody asks them if they are. And contrary to what Coohoolin says, no coalition with them is possible because they will demand Indyref 2 as a condition of it. If you want Tories and you're in Scotland, voting SNP is the best way to get them.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/scattermoon/status/869649319409979394

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/PA/status/869873652711477248

:master:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Trains are cool and good

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

TACD posted:

Vote for Policies has finally been updated with the 2017 manifestos (for England and Wales), pop along and recoil in horror when you discover you've been a secret 'kipper all along.

:siren:VIRTUE SIGNALING:siren:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jedit posted:

The SNP are pro-austerity (and pro-corporation) right up to the moment somebody asks them if they are. And contrary to what Coohoolin says, no coalition with them is possible because they will demand Indyref 2 as a condition of it. If you want Tories and you're in Scotland, voting SNP is the best way to get them.

1) The SNP can vote in a Labour government without a formal coalition;

2) Didn't the SNP just drop an immediate referendum from their manifesto? How do you know they'd demand indyref 2 as a condition of anything?

3) The last sentence is unrelated and backed up with nothing. The best way of keeping the Tories out in Scotland in almost every constituency is to vote SNP.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/869866720042909700

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

The SNP are not a left vote, they are a nationalist vote. Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh is not left wing. Some SNP MPs? Sure. But where was this attitude in 2015 when good left-wing MPs like Katy Clark were unseated by some total party hack who would never break the SNP whip?

Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh does not represent the entirety of the SNP, but in any case, it doesn't change the fact that a LOT of people vote SNP for leftist reasons, and if some of these defect to the utterly useless Scottish Labour, there's a very real danger of letting in Tory wins.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
ILL DBAT FK OUT U M8

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Man, I'm worried. If May doesn't go on, and she probably won't, everyone's just going to be gunning for Corbyn the entire night.

• Locked thread