Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
There is a Discord and it's been mentioned a couple times in this thread.

Drint Blasters posted:

Wtf does "plus on block" "negative frames" "50 50" and all that other poo poo mean?

I just do multiverse stuff and have haven't played anyone online as i am trash and will get destroyed.

Do i need to know what this stuff means?

All of it is in the OP of the Fighting Game Thread but if you're just doing single player poo poo anyway then no not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brosnan posted:

There is a Discord and it's been mentioned a couple times in this thread.

I just thread searched and all I saw was people asking about the discord, not the actual thing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I've pretty much settled on Supergirl and Green Arrow as my two mains. They're pretty different in play style, and a lot of style adjustment options, which keeps things fresh. I've had a surprising amount of success online with GA, as well. Trying to find a third, but I can't quite find a character that "feels" right. I'm circling Blue Beetle, but unlocking Joker's crowbar toss ability has opened up some interesting possibilities in terms of giving him a little bit more a traditional ranged style.

Now just grinding gear to make everyone look as bonkers as possible.

Looking at you Hal Jordan: Soldier of Love.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

McSpanky posted:

I just thread searched and all I saw was people asking about the discord, not the actual thing.

https://discord.gg/74nYxr

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah I need more gear that changes GL's emblem, just have Death and Love right now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have quit out of two guild towers tonight because of modifiers, they are really dumb.

I actually thought about flipping my screen upside down because I kind of can, but the inputs would still be the wrong way

Edit: So as Harley I lost 11 times in a row to Gorilla Grodd in a 4-star tower and had to switch to my all epic Wonder Woman. Either gear really does have a huge effect or maybe I should cross Harley off my potential list

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 31, 2017

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can totally just mash and have fun with Multiverse or even have the AI do things for you.

If you want to get deeper into fighting game tactics, the book I linked earlier explains all those concepts, but in tldr form:

When you attack, you have startup frames (you can't block and are committed to the attack), active frames (where you attack will do damage to the opponent if it connects), and recovery frames (where you don't do damage and you can't do anything else).

"Plus on block" = if the opponent blocks, the number of frames they are stunned is higher than your recovery frames, which means you will be able to act again before they can
"Negative frames" = basically the opposite

You can calculate this from the frame data in the move list.

"50/50" = an attack or string of attacks where the opponent has to choose between two options quickly (e.g. block high or block low)

Ahh cool. Cheers for that, think I was just annoyed cause I was watching some pro streams and that tournament the other day and had no idea what people were talking about.

I'll give online a crack I suppose, got Black Canary to lvl 20 and can do a combo or two fairly regularly so hopefully won't embarras myself too much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One facet to NRS fighters that I'm just now remembering is that you're not actually waiting for the visual confirm of whatever move you're trying to string into something else, you just input the commands to link everything together.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So people are saying this game is pretty pad friendly because it doesn't have circle motions. But how are y'all actually holding the pad?

I'm practicing with Poison Ivy and she has a bunch of alternating strings (121213 is a really fun one) that, if I hold the controller normally with just my thumb on the buttons, I cannot press them fast enough. If hover my hand over the buttons more like a piano (or arcade stick, I guess), I can dial that in ten times in a row without breaking a sweat. But then I can't hit the meter burn button very easily, and her meter burn command throw seems super useful.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So people are saying this game is pretty pad friendly because it doesn't have circle motions. But how are y'all actually holding the pad?
For the record, it accepts circle motions and non-circle motions, so you can play whichever way you want. I just stick it because I'm bad at fighters anyway and the stick feels nicer.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My scrub tier AI teams are kicking rear end in the multi. Maybe I should retire from fighting games and just become a coach.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Green Arrow is almost certainly not top tier, but he's got stuff. Here's some basics that I hope you find helpful:
-Your normal arrows do less damage on hit than most projectiles do on block; that doesn't mean they're useless, but try to keep special arrows loaded whenever possible. Finding combos that end by canceling into loading arrows will help a lot here.
-Holding 4 and jumping backward is a great option, you put space between you and your opponent can fire a straight arrow if they jump or an overhead downward arrow if they try to move forward.
-Ice arrow will be your go-to most of the time because it threatens the most damage, try to learn a basic b3 combo that you can do off that freeze. If you're feeling particularly confidant in your zoning for a particular matchup then the 3-at-a-time fire arrows can be useful, but stay away from the electric ones until you have specific combos for them.
-F2d13 is fast, forward moving, and hits mid-low-overhead, use it often. It can also be canceled at any point, so if they do start blocking it then hit them with a low ice arrow instead of the overhead!
-Your d1 is an amazing fast poke, long reach and you can combo off it if you have an ice arrow stocked. You can also cancel to db2 for a safe way to get some space or just do a couple d1's in a row to see how they react. Once your opponent is respecting these options you can get cheeky and go for the f2 string, a jump back overhead arrow, or just throw.
-Bf3 is your invincible wakeup, it can also catch people off guard as a long range low. Meterburn it for a low-overhead, it's not difficult to block if they know it's coming but it's a great surprise to close out a round. It's unsafe on block though, so however you use it, don't overuse it.

I haven't actually been to training mode with him in this game yet, but my BnB combo right now is freeze into b3 j3 223 load arrow. For some reason I have a hell of a time canceling into load ice arrow, get a normal arrow shot instead, but canceling into loading fire arrows works every time. I'll need to do some debugging to figure out why, but the exact combo you do isn't super important, just something that's reliable for you.

Wow. great stuff.

Some questions:

- I have changed arrow types but it seems almost random honestly. is it just standing still while hitting the "special" key (sorry, I don't know the number signifiers yet) to cycle them?
- I have been using the b3 but it has a lot of start up so I keep getting crushed by faster people. I guess this technically isn't question.
- how do I block grab moves? countering with a grab myself? my current counter is waiting until their grab move finishes doing massive damage and then I wave around in front of me like a hapless moron -- it isn't effective.
- I completely do NOT understand meter burn. I tried playing with it last night in practice mode and think I'm missing something. Most of the time it didn't work when I had plenty of meter to use. Is it just a few moves that it works with? it is totally confusing since it is talked about everywhere like its just a thing and honestly I hadn't even heard of it before I got the game.

Fart City posted:

Of course the most important tip for any Green Arrow player is to equip the baseball cap/chin guard headpiece that covers his goatee (but not his mustache) as soon as it becomes available so that you can be World's Angriest Softball Dad.

I had this hat on but replaced it with a fancy Robin Hood hat. I feel so heroic in itl

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

1 = light
2 = medium
3 = heavy
4 = character power
MB = meter burn button

dubf = down up back forward

j = jump in, you need be in the air and heading toward the opponent's hitbox

xx = cancel

As usual for this thread, you are reading my mind by preempting questions and dropping knowledge. Thanks CF.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can totally just mash and have fun with Multiverse or even have the AI do things for you.

If you want to get deeper into fighting game tactics, the book I linked earlier explains all those concepts, but in tldr form:

When you attack, you have startup frames (you can't block and are committed to the attack), active frames (where you attack will do damage to the opponent if it connects), and recovery frames (where you don't do damage and you can't do anything else).

"Plus on block" = if the opponent blocks, the number of frames they are stunned is higher than your recovery frames, which means you will be able to act again before they can
"Negative frames" = basically the opposite

You can calculate this from the frame data in the move list.

"50/50" = an attack or string of attacks where the opponent has to choose between two options quickly (e.g. block high or block low)

Wow. And again you post as if you're anticipating my questions..

I did have a rough ride last night vs Poison Ivy in the guild Multiverse tier. I couldn't get a hit in. It was the most frustrating fight I've had so far and had to give up. It was strange because I was unbeaten in the stack up to her. Felt almost like an AI bug where she went from "scrub tier" to unbeatable warmind AI.
Also that upside down level hosed with my mind hard. I was surprised I could get by it.

Fun game. This thread and the people in it rule. Thanks everybody.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The arrows have different commands. DF4, DB4, and DD4.

You block throws by pressing throw yourself just as they grab you. But some characters have what are called command throws which are done by regular special move inputs (hence "command") and can be blocked normally, but not broken out of like a regular throw if they grab you.

Nearly all specials have a meter burn. Most likely you're not doing it at the right point in the move. Some need to be on impact, some can only be before impact, etc. for example GA's arrow shot is burned while holding the arrow still to turn it into a boxing glove arrow. His slide is burned on contact for an extra hit, a knock back I think? Most of the time meter burns add a knock or early escape from the animation for combo opportunity. Some simply add damage though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

always be loading Ice Arrows

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never use the arrows as green arrow and can usually always win without them. I just spam the square square square down forward square meter burn jump square x combo over and over again and it works perfectly against AI and online

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Just joined the dark empire, left stairs related comment! Now what do I do to help out goonbudz?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm practicing with Poison Ivy and she has a bunch of alternating strings (121213 is a really fun one) that, if I hold the controller normally with just my thumb on the buttons, I cannot press them fast enough. If hover my hand over the buttons more like a piano (or arcade stick, I guess), I can dial that in ten times in a row without breaking a sweat. But then I can't hit the meter burn button very easily, and her meter burn command throw seems super useful.

It takes a long time for that string to come out and there's no penalty for just entering strings as fast as possible so if you really can't get it to work with your thumb you could just flip your hand and mash it in and flip back to a normal grip in time to end in a dbf1 metered. Or it should come out if you mash just 1+2 1+2 repeatedly. I'd have to try tonight.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

DLC Inc posted:

always be loading Lightning Arrows

Fixed that one for you

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Its not an outline of Raiden - its Static Shock with a Wok on his head

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

DLC Inc posted:

always be loading Boxing Glove Arrows

Jimmy Hats posted:

Fixed that one for you

Fixed it for both of us

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Green Lantern is pretty cool, feels a lot like Kenji from MKX with some cheeky projectile spam.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Fixed it for both of us

:yeah:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Boxing glove arrow is great. I murdered Batman with that and basic in-close combos last night.

Then I AI'd Wonder Woman to get all the movie gear. Good times.

Now, every time I do guild multiverse, I get one or two decent fights in and then I get romped. I seem to have better success in regular multiverse - the fights seem a little easier to manage. Does the difficulty ramp up in guild stuff? I'm only picking the easiest events to do but I'm still getting hammered.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

a mysterious cloak posted:

Boxing glove arrow is great. I murdered Batman with that and basic in-close combos last night.

Then I AI'd Wonder Woman to get all the movie gear. Good times.

Now, every time I do guild multiverse, I get one or two decent fights in and then I get romped. I seem to have better success in regular multiverse - the fights seem a little easier to manage. Does the difficulty ramp up in guild stuff? I'm only picking the easiest events to do but I'm still getting hammered.

The actual difficulty listed on the event is a lie, in my experience. If you're having a lot of trouble, I'd suggest having multiple loadouts for your character with certain 'hate' equipment, such as 'bonus damage against superpowered/lanterns/kryptonians etc. You can change character after losing a fight without losing progress through the event.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

The actual difficulty listed on the event is a lie, in my experience. If you're having a lot of trouble, I'd suggest having multiple loadouts for your character with certain 'hate' equipment, such as 'bonus damage against superpowered/lanterns/kryptonians etc. You can change character after losing a fight without losing progress through the event.

...Really? gently caress.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DLC Inc posted:

always be loading Ice Arrows

Speaking of which, I unlocked an ability for Green Arrow that replaced his meter burn boxing glove arrow with a bolo that incapacitates the opponent. It's kind of neat because you can have another arrow set loaded, but MB out the bolo no matter what. Kind of makes the ice arrow a little redundant though.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
Oh gently caress off. I did the easiest guild multiverse tower without trouble, then went to the next one that's one difficulty higher.
Couldn't get past the first bastard untill I switched to my only 20 with epic gear and blasted through 4-5 AIs.
Now I'm stuck on the second to last and getting absolutely bodied every time.

Adding insult to injury, the AI's decked out in level 20 rares, regardless of character level. So even trying to switch to another character, who are all lower level, they're about 25% weaker stats-wise :argh:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Drint Blasters posted:

Wtf does "plus on block" "negative frames" "50 50" and all that other poo poo mean?

I just do multiverse stuff and have haven't played anyone online as i am trash and will get destroyed.

Do i need to know what this stuff means?

I made a vid about using frame data in this game that I hope you will find helpful.

https://youtu.be/GThPww9DdEY

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sliding between the buttons instead of pushing them makes that string 100x easier.

Like press down one then slide your thumb back and forth.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

hup posted:

Yeah I need more gear that changes GL's emblem, just have Death and Love right now

wait, there are chest armors that change his emblem? I was kind of pissed the shaders didn't automatically do that (or maybe they do, and I'm just blind af)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Why we couldn't get this Damian on the game?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Why we couldn't get this Damian on the game?

the same reason you didn't get the All-Star Superman who prevents a girl from jumping off a building: it's an alternate universe. I assume Injustice Damian never had Dick Grayson to mentor him through his rough phases as a result of Dick's early death.

Damian's arcade ending also hammers home this is the "666" version of him that literally sells his soul to "cheat" his way into the Batman legacy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Does Tim Drake even exist in the Injustice universe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

Yes, he was in Year 3 of the comic and appears in Cyborg's arcade ending in this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DLC Inc posted:

the same reason you didn't get the All-Star Superman who prevents a girl from jumping off a building: it's an alternate universe. I assume Injustice Damian never had Dick Grayson to mentor him through his rough phases as a result of Dick's early death.

Damian's arcade ending also hammers home this is the "666" version of him that literally sells his soul to "cheat" his way into the Batman legacy.

That's Injustice's Damian. His first night as Robin in fact.

Funky Valentine posted:

He does

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did the injustice one comics come out before or after the game?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

They started January 2013, the game came out April, and they continued after.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
The comic came out a few months before the game.

Edit: Yeah, that ^.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Empress Brosephine posted:

Both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok. I really like the comic. In year three now. I never played the first games story or really much of it. Does it take place after the comics and has it aged well?

• Locked thread