Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nasgate posted:

From what I understood when i played tabletop for a short time, Norsca were vikings ineffectively raiding the coast because it was vikings vs walls, artillery, and steel plate. And they were typically too busy fighting eachother unless a chaos champion showed up to unite and direct them. Orcs and night gobbos were a far more dangerous and everpresent threat, but even that was mostly directed at the Dwarves who never really recovered from the Slaan tectonic plate fuckery/the war of the beard.

Also Vlad is dead.

The real tldr of the setting is "all the bad guys are too busy killing themselves or non-human factions, and could be a world ending threat if they united under one leader"

This sounds about right. Even Empire falls prey to the "if only they united" thing. When the Empire is united, they save the world via incredible military might. But the elector counts are such assholes, it just takes a really good reason to unite. Also the nobility are very aloof so when Norscans raid the coast, the nobility just kinda shrugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Man SFO is a nice change up in some ways but a bitch in others.

I like the settlement stuff a lot, but I won a battle against the Leader of Clan Angrund where after i killed all but 8 units(individuals) I had to fast forward as the LL got beat up by squig herds for a solid 8 minutes(had I not sped it up) until he died.

Also, gently caress not being able to assassinate ghost heroes. Permanent -5 unrest so I couldn't leave long enough to kill the faction.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Grimgor is my favourite because he is just an insane orc who fights better than anyone else on the planet and then he walked up to Archaon the EVERCHOSEN SUPERMAN FAVOURITE OF THE CHAOS GODS, BESTEST CHAOSIEST ULTRABADDIE EVER and beat the poo poo out of him

of course, when they ended the setting they retconned that and had it just "be a close fight" and then some bullshit demonshit with archaons sword cut grimgors head off. Lammeee

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What are you guys running for mods?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Is it possible to mod arrow trails to not look like rear end? Turning them off makes them almost invisible. They had missiles perfect in Shogun 2, clearly visible so you could see who was shooting who, without being fat white lines all over the screen. I have no idea why they didn't just stick with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Night10194 posted:

I'm really astonished they're making a 4e and still setting it in the Old World.

Astonished and happy, as I love 2e.

To be fair, it is not like it would be very interesting to roleplay Sigmarines. Also tabletop RPGs are a niche already, WFRP, particularly 1e and 2e which were mentioned as the main references for the game in production, do have an existing following, while Age of Sigmar has no existing fanbase in RPGs and as a setting isn't much more than a fantasy Grim-Dork Rifts.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

This mod is legit as gently caress FYI.

Between Bretonnia and the Empire it turns the midwest and west portion of the map into an actual force to be reckoned with rather than it just being something you slowly mop up if not playing as one of those factions.

It feels pretty great to actually have to plan my invasion of the Empire as the VC's to avoid getting hosed up. Or to actually need to rally the tribes as Chaos, the Orcs, or Beastmen. Because if the Empire faction is doing okay you'll have a ton of allies declaring on you when you invade a province if you wait too long and just rock your poo poo if you aren't prepared for an apocalyptic throw down.

It's basically required for me to play the game at this point.

queeb posted:

yeah im playing a super modded SFO game right now and its really fun/refreshing when you've got a ton of time in the game already.

I think im using...

SFO
SFO all tabletop lords submod
SFO vampire regen cap submod (theyre crazy even with out it)
Instant quest battles
Followers overhaul
Drink It
Rebanner
Legendary Lords Remastered
Starting traits remastered
Better camera
Home region movement bonus

they all seem to work together and lol, its crazy times. Every battle is awesome.

I started empire as fuckin Gelt and holy poo poo he clears units out with his spells all on his own, but you need it since poo poo be bonkers.

Also this has to be wrong. This setup causes the game to lock up on the initial loading screen.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 31, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Instant quest battles does still work with SFO but drink it and rebanner don't I believe. The way I tested it was by deactivating mods I knew would be obvious problems with SFO and steadily going from there until the game worked.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Panfilo posted:

Instant quest battles does still work with SFO but drink it and rebanner don't I believe. The way I tested it was by deactivating mods I knew would be obvious problems with SFO and steadily going from there until the game worked.

Ah, that makes sense.

Also, here's some other great mods that are must haves to enjoy the game with:

AI General Mode brings back AI mode from the earlier Total War games. Remember how people bitched about how much of a pain it was to handle three stacks of greenskins during the more complex fights? Well now you can just assign whatever units you want and they'll fight themselves and act as an independent army. This can also be changed on the fly if you want to alter the units under AI control or finesse a portion of the battle.

This also includes using proper skills during a fight. Though you should be careful about that, because the AI will use spells. It can be nice having an AI controlled general handling oversight for heals and such but they'll be spot on on using it as soon as it's necessary, so it'll deplete your reserve of mana fast.

The Von Carsteins is a texture mod that overhauls the Von Carstein faction to look awesome. It makes both legendary lord's and their faction army look closer to tabletop while giving them a lot of kick rear end looking extra little details. Definitely one of the best reskin mods out there.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Instant quest battles does still work with SFO but drink it and rebanner don't I believe.

They're compatible with literally every mod in existence.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Panfilo posted:

rebanner definitely works. I have the same mod list as queeb, sans the camera and starting traits remastered.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Wallet posted:

They're compatible with literally every mod in existence.

Yeah, I just checked it and they're not what's causing the crash.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I dunno what to say, I just checked and all those are installed and working. Make sure you have the followers upgrade for SFO, not the base one.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

queeb posted:

I dunno what to say, I just checked and all those are installed and working. Make sure you have the followers upgrade for SFO, not the base one.

I just figured out what the problem was. Apparently SFO's Tabletop Lords submod is causing the crash. No clue why, but once I disabled it with nothing but your mod order enabled it started loading past the intro loading screen.

Edit: Looks like you've gotta have Tabletop Lords activated too on top of the SFO submod. Whelp.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Archonex posted:

I just figured out what the problem was. Apparently SFO's Tabletop Lords submod is causing the crash. No clue why, but once I disabled it with nothing but your mod order enabled it started loading past the intro loading screen.

Edit: Looks like you've gotta have Tabletop Lords activated too on top of the SFO submod. Whelp.

Yeah, instead of mentioning it in the mod summary it's on the right side of the steam page listing "required mods" for the submod.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So uh... Lord of Thunder is partially working. It's in the Nodes, it is an ability, it doesn't have an icon, its graphic is broken, and the ability, when you click and target an enemy, doesn't produce a lightning bolt. Also, it's locked-targeting, like a Fireball, rather than a bombardment.

But, good news, we're actually close to a full function SLA of Bolt of Urannos Overcast.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Archonex posted:

Whoops yeah, I'll edit that into my list.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fartbox posted:

of course, when they ended the setting they retconned that and had it just "be a close fight" and then some bullshit demonshit with archaons sword cut grimgors head off. Lammeee

Hah! You think cutting off his head is enough to kill him?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZearothK posted:

To be fair, it is not like it would be very interesting to roleplay Sigmarines. Also tabletop RPGs are a niche already, WFRP, particularly 1e and 2e which were mentioned as the main references for the game in production, do have an existing following, while Age of Sigmar has no existing fanbase in RPGs and as a setting isn't much more than a fantasy Grim-Dork Rifts.

As long as you can still play a rat catcher caught up in an endless, heroic, secret struggle with nazi ratmen, aided only by your small (but vicious) dog I will be happy.

Or accidentally make 1500s German Indiana Jones, that happened in one of my games, too.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Okay, yeah. You weren't kidding about that mod loadout being rad as gently caress.

I'm playing as the Von Carstein's and holy gently caress is it a new game. They're basically a hyper elite faction that balances out in the early game to having just one to four insanely overpowered units on the field along side of maybe one or two units of zombie apocalypse levels of expendable troops at most.

I also just discovered that it enables vampire recruiting by default if you have Isabella active. Which just confirms my opinion that the guy who made this fully intended the Von Carstein's to be the insanely elitist foil to Mannfred's more common sort of gameplay.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 31, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Archonex posted:

Okay, yeah. You weren't kidding about that mod loadout being rad as gently caress.

I'm playing as the Von Carstein's and holy gently caress is it a new game. They're basically a hyper elite faction that balances out in the early game to having just one to four insanely overpowered units on the field along side of maybe one or two units of zombie apocalypse levels of expendable troops at most.

I also just discovered that they enables vampire recruiting by default if you have Isabella active. Which just confirms my opinion that the guy who made this fully intended the Von Carstein's to be the insanely elitist foil to Mannfred's more common sort of gameplay.

Every faction can recruit heroes from the start in SFO, I think.

Fartbox posted:

Grimgor is my favourite because he is just an insane orc who fights better than anyone else on the planet and then he walked up to Archaon the EVERCHOSEN SUPERMAN FAVOURITE OF THE CHAOS GODS, BESTEST CHAOSIEST ULTRABADDIE EVER and beat the poo poo out of him

What actually happened is that Grimgor's army gets smashed by Archaon's lieutenant, who was my favourite character that summer, at 12, bc his model looked cool.

Grimgor decided he wanted in on the action anyway, hacked through both warring armies, and suckerpunched a wounded Archaon before running off into the sunset, confirmed best.

The narrative of Archaon being GW's super favorite and they just couldn't let him lose isn't really the case. They designed a lovely campaign that pit 2 factions vs the other 13 and had no oversight, so everyone could report one win per day and could pretty easily spoof the system for more. Pure math meant Chaos wasn't going to get anywhere and being incompetent at games design, they just boosted Chaos so the much-foreshadowed Middenheim showdown would happen before the end of summer.

We all knew that the hordes were getting to Middenheim, which wouldn't fall, and that Karl Franz and the token armies from the other good guy forces would arrive and beat Chaos back. We knew Franz and Archaon and Grimgor and all the big names would live. We knew Valten and Archaon would fight mano-a-mano. The scene was on the cover of the pre-campaign army book, with Middenheim and Franz's army in the background. Taking the big iconic scene and writing in a very Grimgor moment to reflect the unexpected reality of orcs player overwhelmingly reporting victories against Chaos instead of Order, was pretty cool. Player agency resulted in one of the funniest and most iconic scenes in the setting. It was a pretty fun event and reading the day-to-day war reports, which did in fact take player results and even fan-made background into account, and so on was awesome for a kid like me playing battles(or spoofing battles cuz it was mostly that- no one is playing multiple games of Fantasy every single day all summer break.) I remember the Dogs of War fan forum decided to just report all their battles at one border fortress and stalled out Chaos for way too long. GW moved Chaos on to the next city in that area of the map and wrote about how the brave mercenaries were still holding on and the hordes had bypassed the fort, leaving only a token siege force. They basically saved the town. Archaon also murdered the second-tier character that was commanding that tendril, Vader-style. See to me that was a pretty cool thing, the DoW players get a call out and then the Tzeentch forces move on because the story already exists- they're getting to Middenhim. But to the forum legions it was Chaos Bias.

It was one of the more fun nerd moments of my childhood, anyway, I remember it fondly.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 31, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

So uh... Lord of Thunder is partially working. It's in the Nodes, it is an ability, it doesn't have an icon, its graphic is broken, and the ability, when you click and target an enemy, doesn't produce a lightning bolt. Also, it's locked-targeting, like a Fireball, rather than a bombardment.

But, good news, we're actually close to a full function SLA of Bolt of Urannos Overcast.

The targeting and poo poo should be easy enough to fix. For the ability icon you just need an image with the correct name in the correct place (it's in ui>battle ui>ability_icons).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wallet posted:

The targeting and poo poo should be easy enough to fix. For the ability icon you just need an image with the correct name in the correct place (it's in ui>battle ui>ability_icons).

I think for me it's just a confusion, Lord of Thunder is just cloned from UB. Yet the projectile is missing. Fixed the icon though.

An example of the bolt not coming down, it's just that stream of blue.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 31, 2017

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

So a lot of people have been praising SFO in here lately, and it looks really good. There's one thing keeping me from jumping in though: people have been talking about VC running around with a shitton of stacks, which is fine and applies to them if the stacks are mostly chaff, however... is this the case for all the other factions as well?

The one thing that pisses me off about every Radious mod, aside from the Persian Orc Immortal Elephant Giant Archer Ninja units, is the constant stack spam all over the place because nothing costs any significant upkeep, and it's something we poo poo on constantly in this forum. Every battle is at least a 40v40 and it sucks in the long run, both on the tactical and strategic map.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Washin Tong posted:

So a lot of people have been praising SFO in here lately, and it looks really good. There's one thing keeping me from jumping in though: people have been talking about VC running around with a shitton of stacks, which is fine and applies to them if the stacks are mostly chaff, however... is this the case for all the other factions as well?

The one thing that pisses me off about every Radious mod, aside from the Persian Orc Immortal Elephant Giant Archer Ninja units, is the constant stack spam all over the place because nothing costs any significant upkeep, and it's something we poo poo on constantly in this forum. Every battle is at least a 40v40 and it sucks in the long run, both on the tactical and strategic map.

I can say that upkeep is definitely still big on expensive units. One unit of Vargeists is 300ish upkeep for example (before any reductions). The many large stacks would probably be lots of cheaper units included, and probably later game when the factions have multiple districts and upkeep reduction stuff unlocked.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Washin Tong posted:

One balancing aspect is factions don't confederate nearly as much, and enemy factions don't have as much of a hard on for hunting you down regardless of how far away they are.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You'll be fighting undead and greenskins a lot more, and both of those carry around huge amounts of units (mostly chaff) and bring large amounts of stacks. Greenskins also get waaghs to supplement. Chaos, Empire, Bretonnia, Wood Elfs, etc., are all roughly the same as vanilla, unless they get really really big. And the AI will more eagerly colonize ruins and conquer/confederate neighbors too, so.

It feels more like how the game is meant to be played. Greenskins aren't a defensive faction in the game nor the lore, so it makes sense that they would swing around huge armies and huge stacks of ramshackle units of varying effectiveness, which they do. I've won many, many battles defending a T3 settlement with a full stack against 4 stacks of greenskins because the bulk of their forces were goblins and regular old boyz.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I played about 40 turns into a VH/VH dwarf sfo campaign and didn't really feel much difference from vanilla. Aside from autoresolve being really unfriendly to the player at least, and greenskin settlements paying nothing when sacked (which makes a sort of sense I guess). Will try again

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I am currently playing a SFO campaign as welves and uuuh, upkeep really matters here haha. But then i get battles with Orion, a Waywatcher, a Spellsinger and 11 other units of mostly Eternal Guard and Glade Guards ambushing a full-stack of Tileans and still winning with like 100 losses because holy poo poo elves feel like elves here.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I did my first SFO playthrough with Empire. I was raking in 12k/turn profit after holding 5 full stacks of normal, mid-tier units, including Franz's Golden Army full of Greatswords, Gryphons, and high-level artillery. This was before the real fighting with the greenskins and chaos started bleeding my southern/northern provinces, reducing profits and demanding more and more upkeep.

Empire Privilege: infinite money, infinite problems.

I'd imagine wood elfs would have trouble since they don't get as much money as Empire does mid- and late-game. Unless you confederate early and trade well.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Washin Tong posted:

I've noticed that the AI really tends to keep 2 stacks. Typically though, neither are full and neither have many t3 or any t4 units. There's also a power balance. Empire really has to use their multiple tools (magic, artillery, cavalry). Vampires rely on tons of undead to occupy the enemy while superman von carstein murders things, dwarves are pretty much the same as before but with even less moral issues, and Greenskins rely a lot more on being stupidly numerous model wise.

Another important factor is how strong garrisons are, especially when you play the match out. Ive defeated almost every army that's marched on my doorsteps, especially as dwarves.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
One major thing is changing units to make battles last longer. Many elite/lord units now have vigor loss resistance, so your highlander dudes don't get gassed out from squishing a few hundred chaff dudes as easily. The other is a trait that lessens the likelihood the unit will shatter and rallies faster. Both these are neat because they keep vigor immune/fearless units still potent and unique but give other elite units an in between to make them nasty at ripping through hordes.

And holy hell Dragon back Slayers are only 12 guys to a unit, but stat wise they are the fuckin A team for dwarves as each slayer individually is practically a Thane in effectiveness. Not to mention all regimens of renown can now rank up like their vanilla counterparts which makes them potentially even more insanely powerful.

drans
Sep 1, 2016
Ramrod XTreme
do you guys want to get a big 3v3 together? playing randos who spam blood knights or giants is loving annoying

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

quote:

OK on a train at the moment so will type up bit by bit:
PC Gamer played through a Quest Battle, Lizardmen against High Elves. They had to stop the elves from completing a ritual, either by defeating the Elves or killing two chariot-riding wizards.
The battle map features a narrow bridge which the Lizardmen have to fight across. Judging by the pictures it's the same as the map shown in the recent Lizardmen trailers.
The "Out of Control" feature came in to play a few times, and the player says it added an interesting tactical aspect.
Vampire Count and Human presence in Lustria confirmed!
"Ancient ruins can be explored for treasure, and will draw the attention of other armies"
The campaign map will feature "rogue armies: one-off armies made with no restrictions. Goblins herding dinosaurs!"
High Elves will have a new settlement type called a "Fortress Gate" (presumably the gates between outer and inner Ulthuan).
Meeting certain criteria on the campaign map will unlock faction-specific battleground abilities. If the High Elves properly fortify their Fortress Gates, it allows them to summon Eagles when defending. The lizardmen can "summon velociraptors from space" "like a Star Trek away team". The player in this battle had three charges of this ability on a long cooldown.
Sun Dragon confirmed for High Elves. Appears to be unmounted.
The player shoots down said dragon with lasers mounted on dinosaurs (Solar Engine Bastilodons), which he describes as "an extremely Warhammer moment"
Winning the Vortex campaign will require gathering certain resources. The article implies there will be several ways to collect these (it mentions questing, looting ruins and buildings as three sources)
You'll get a chance to resist being beaten suddenly in the Vortex campaign.
At the end they ask about Skaven: ""We will say that the list of races is yet to be... rat-ified", Roxburgh says, extremely pleased with himself"".

Caught this on the Goonfite Discord: Holy gently caress.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Teleporting velociraptors? Lazer AA guns shooting down dragons? Random armies roaming around possibly consisting of Tyrannosaurs riding F-14s?sign me up!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
:allears:

CA please take all my money (and my soul).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I had a dream.

A dream of rats.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

quote:

"We will say that the list of races is yet to be... rat-ified"
:allears:

I must say, I'm a mite hyped for Total War: Jurassic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
It'll be a 3 way fight that you are in to control the vortex and once you 'win' all those ruins suddenly collapse revealing Skaven settlements everywhere and you realize the Skaven were biding their time waiting for you to get the other two factions off their back so they could jump you. And that the campaign is only 50% complete at that point.

• Locked thread