Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It cannot be chance that all of this was carefully kept out of the community articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Instinctive behavior is SO much less punishing in 8th than in 7th. Good for the bugs.

Bone sabers are D6 damage and Swarmlord gets 7 attacks hahahahaha

I just feel sorry for people who bothered modeling the webguns on termagants. They don't even autohit like normal flamers.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How the gently caress can you gently caress up such a complex, cool system of powers that were present in 7th edition

WHERE IS GEOMORTIS GAMES WORKSHOP

teabot
May 9, 2009
https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0B4IGo22sDo4zdEtrRmEyelg2TkU

Full rules leak, couldn't see if this was posted already but if it was I offer many apologies

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

How the gently caress can you gently caress up such a complex, cool system of powers that were present in 7th edition

Seriously what in the fuuuuuuuck.

In exchange now, apparently all chaos characters can attempt to summon daemons. Even khorne characters can summon khorne demons. (Everybody is better at magic than poor old Tzeentch)

It doesn't say anything about reserving points for summoning, but it only mentions power levels so I don't even know how that rule works for points play?! :shrug:

E: NM core rulebook says you do have to set aside points

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 31, 2017

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Everything about 7th psychic powers sucked balls. Better off dead. :colbert:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I did a quick summary for Nids elsewhere:

Zoans are interesting... they now have 3 wounds for 40pts each, although you have to take at least 3 now. Also there's no points or additional power levels listed for a Neurothrope, so they may be free. The Neurothrope ability is passive too, and only requires a successful Smite. Their Smite power is pretty easy to cast and automatically hits, and a 160pt unit has the potential to do between 2 and 9 mortal wounds which is nothing to sniff at.

Intriguingly Maleceptors have a lot of potential too. T7 W12 with 3+/5++ is way more durable, and they should be able to do a fair bit of carnage in combat with D6 damage attacks. Their Psychic Overload is actually not a psychic power and can't be denied, slapping anything nearby with mortal wounds on a 2+.

Swarmlord is strong now as expected, but at 300pts you really pay for it. That double move ability can be a gamechanger.

Old One Eye on the other hand is a bargain at 140pts; lots of attacks and buffs nearby melee fexes. Plus he regens a wound every turn for free.

Tyrant Guard are T5 W3 with a 25% point decrease, and their lashwhip/bonesword option is only 2pts. Shieldwall works on a 2+ rather than automatically, so not as reliable as I'd hoped.

Hive Guard are 48pts with Impaler or 39pts with Shockcannons. Now BS3+, but will have -1 to hit with the Impaler Cannon if they move as it's Heavy 2. Shockcannons look very effective in a Tyrannocyte.

Termagants have Living Ammunition back for units of 20+, re-rolling 1's to wound for shooting. Spinefists are pistols!

Hormagaunts can pile in and consolidate 6", re-roll 1's to hit again and units of 20+ re-roll 1's to wound as well. Very promising.

Venomthopes are now 31pts each with 3 wounds and 3-6 per unit, but their shroud ability is now -1 to hit for infantry units within 3"

Pyrovores are 42pts each, T4 W4 Sv4+. Flamespurt does D6 automatic S5 -1 hits to 10", and their melee attack is a nasty Ap-3. Might be fun to run in a pod. Oh, and they do mortal wounds to nearby enemies when they explode.

Deathleaper is -2 to hit and +2 to cover saves, and he can pick a specific character to deepstrike within 6" of and charge. Only 90pts.

Shrikes look nasty, 12" movement, 28pts base with way cheaper melee upgrades and their save fixed to 4+. Raveners are quite similar but without synapse.

Tyrannocytes have no more silly targeting rules, T6 W12, and can put out 15 deathspitter, 5D3 VC or 5D6 strangler shots. They're now around ~150pts with weapons though. Also they specifically ruled out russian-doll-stacking-Tyrannocytes :/

Carnifex crushing claws look like a non-starter unless you bring along OOE. Double scytals & bioplasma is cheap though, as are devourers/deathspitters.

Exocrines look solid with T8 W12 at 228pts. If they don't move its twelve S7 AP-3 D2 shots at BS3+. That's gonna hurt.

Sporocysts are like a Tyrannocyte that doesn't transport anything, with a lovely Biovore glued on top. Odd.

Toxicrenes are promising; 8" move, fairly durable with lots of attacks that reroll wounds.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Huh. So Markerlights are no longer a pool that is drained to power various effects, but a cumulative debuff to the affected unit that apparently goes away at the end of the phase. 1 gives a re-roll on 1s to hit, 2 makes any seekers/destroyers fired at the unit to use the firing model's BS instead of only hitting on a 6, 3 makes any attacking models ignore the penalties for firing with a Heavy weapon and moving or Advancing and then firing Assault weapons, 4 means no more cover saves, and 5+ adds 1 to hit for all models attacking the unit.

At least Ethereals aren't free VPs anymore!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
LOL EVEN loving MAGNUS ONLY KNOWS THE DARK HERETICUS POWERS :suicide:

Neither Ahriman nor Magnus knows anything that Sorcerers don't know. They completely butchered CSM psykers, EXCEPT for NURGLE.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

goose willis posted:

Death to 7th ed psykers.

Long live 8th ed psykers.

:colbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Red Paint Job is gone.

My Mek w/ KFF and Burna is useless.

They forgot to give the points for the 'Ard Case.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Artum posted:

Death to 7th ed psykers.

Long live 8th ed psykers. dakka

:colbert:

Psykers are loving dead

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
A bunch of psychic stuff got rolled into special rules. The Maleceptor got a Psychic Tendrils ability that somehow _isn't_ a psychic power, heh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

xtothez posted:

A bunch of psychic stuff got rolled into special rules. The Maleceptor got a Psychic Tendrils ability that somehow _isn't_ a psychic power, heh

Yep but somehow the Thousand Sons missed out on all that jazz

But Death Guard got some!!! :iiam:

Ahriman is now a support unit :negative:

Magnus' special rule is that his magic missiles do a bit more damage :v:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I assume that this would be covered by the varying cost of the base model (i.e. a BS2 model being cheaper than a BS4 one). Is that necessarily a poor solution? (I don't actively play 40K, so this isn't an intuitive subject for me).
In short yeah it's terrible.

There are a bunch of ways to look at it, but here is one.

Model A: hits on a 3+
Model B: hits on a 5+

Gun X: has 1 shot, autowounds
Gun Y: has 10 shots, auto wounds

Expected value of model A with gun X firing 100 times is 66, model B is 33.

Now switch out guns. Model A adds 594 wounds, model B adds 297 wounds.

The gun is almost twice as effective on model A as model B, so you should probably charge more for it.

Very simplistic model but you get the general idea

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Yeah orks don't get 'ard armour :( nobs squads and bosses just get a 4+ standard while boys and boy nobs go without

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If I'm looking at the Genestealer rules right, is anything preventing a trifecta of Tyranids, GSC, and IG from working? Cult has the Tyranid keyword, and every Genestealer detachment gives me a Guard detachment as well.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Bee posted:

If I'm looking at the Genestealer rules right, is anything preventing a trifecta of Tyranids, GSC, and IG from working? Cult has the Tyranid keyword, and every Genestealer detachment gives me a Guard detachment as well.

If I understand it correctly, if you want to run Tyranids + GSC together, that means running them under the Tyranids-keyword, thus being a Tyranids detachment. So that would mean no IG on top of that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep but somehow the Thousand Sons missed out on all that jazz

But Death Guard got some!!! :iiam:

Ahriman is now a support unit :negative:

Magnus' special rule is that his magic missiles do a bit more damage :v:

Death guard only have a discipline because they're in the starter set, got to wait for the codex for the rest of them to get new sets of powers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Bee posted:

Should work.

Hell, is there anything stopping you from taking two different faction detachments?? I'm not seeing the faction grid here. There's no "battle brothers" like before. Could you have one detachment of SM and one of CSM?! As long as everybody within a faction is the same...

And the rules say all models on the same side are considered part of the same army and can be near each other I think??

Artum posted:

Death guard only have a discipline because they're in the starter set, got to wait for the codex for the rest of them to get new sets of powers.

This IS the codex, dude. Not the core rulebook.

I guess we'll get supplements on top eventually, but we JUST got the magic overhaul in 7th like a year ago, having to wait to touch on it again is really lame.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Zaphod42 posted:

Should work.

Hell, is there anything stopping you from taking two different faction detachments?? I'm not seeing the faction grid here. There's no "battle brothers" like before. Could you have one detachment of SM and one of CSM?! As long as everybody within a faction is the same...

And the rules say all models on the same side are considered part of the same army and can be near each other I think??

I guess we'll get supplements on top eventually, but we JUST got the magic overhaul in 7th like a year ago, having to wait to touch on it again is really lame.

I think the core rules have a specification normally saying that all units must share at least one keyword, even if in different detachments, to be battle-forged.

Attestant posted:

If I understand it correctly, if you want to run Tyranids + GSC together, that means running them under the Tyranids-keyword, thus being a Tyranids detachment. So that would mean no IG on top of that.

This is a good point. I guess it'd have to depend if an all-GSC detachment within a Tyranid army would still be a GSC detachment or not.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 31, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Should work.

No, this is the back of the 3rd edition rulebook, thats why everythings extremely pared down.

Also gently caress me RAW magnus can just triple cast his super smite and do 3d6 mortal wounds a turn.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LOL BLOOD ANGELS ARE BETTER PSYKERS THAN THOUSAND SONS

gently caress you GW

The Bee posted:

I think the core rules have a specification normally saying that all units must share at least one keyword, even if in different detachments, to be battle-forged.

Ah okay that'd be good

Artum posted:

Also gently caress me RAW magnus can just triple cast his super smite and do 3d6 mortal wounds a turn.

That may as well be a gun. Its not psyker powers unless you have choices. Just make them gun-like and use them during the shooting phase and get rid of the psyker phase completely if its just gonna be smite, lesser smite and greater smite.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
:allears:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Also, as I predicted, those rules have no restriction on characters or any other form of provision. Your Dudes can include a Creedstealer for crying out loud. Maybe running one will get you several byes in tournaments as lore grogs and IG diehards quit matches with you in disgust.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

That may as well be a gun. Its not psyker powers unless you have choices. Just make them gun-like and use them during the shooting phase and get rid of the psyker phase completely if its just gonna be smite, lesser smite and greater smite.

Its not though, for chaos its better smite, free move, or melee hit buff. Not as cool as the librarius powers but still solid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
30 Boyz with a Nob, 3 Big Shootas, and a Kustom Shoota is 202 points. That's a ridiculous value.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Artum posted:

Its not though, for chaos its better smite, free move, or melee hit buff. Not as cool as the librarius powers but still solid.

I could live with the 3 CSM powers if not for the 1 power per turn restriction. That's just so punishing, and its inherently MORE punishing on armies that get 3 powers, while meanwhile Death Guard, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, Dark Angels and Grey Knights all get 6 powers, which let them cast more per turn and have more tactical options than just smite missiles.

If you're going to give all those guys 6 powers, at least give the guys who are the chosen of the god of magic 6 powers maybe? :smith:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
It'll be interesting to see how the NEW GW will react to this leak. Are they going to continue drip feeding us official spoilers, or react somehow.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man. Biovores. :(

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

30 Boyz with a Nob, 3 Big Shootas, and a Kustom Shoota is 202 points. That's a ridiculous value.

What did it run you before?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Attestant posted:

Looking at it I think it would work if you had a detachment of purely GSC, allowing a detachment of IG. Then You take your Nid detachment under the keyword Tyranids, which the cult also has. I think that is how it works.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Looking at it I think it would work if you had a detachment of purely GSC, allowing a detachment of IG. Then You take your Nid detachment under the keyword Tyranids, which the cult also has. I think that is how it works.

That might actually be correct, looking at it. So if you have three detachments, it could work. Sounds like something a FAQ would be useful for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Bee posted:

Attestant posted:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think this does work. It specifically says in the rules, for the purposes of battle forged, you can include one astra militarum detachment in your army for each GSC detachment, and then you can ignore the astra militarum for the purposes of faction. So your faction is Tyranids, but for each GSC deatchment in your tyranids (GSC have keyword Tyranids) you can have up to one bonus IG detachment?

I'm just happy that GSC and Tyranids are buddy buddy now :)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

People real salty about some get you by rules.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Attestant posted:

That might actually be correct, looking at it. So if you have three detachments, it could work. Sounds like something a FAQ would be useful for.

So it'd basically only work for the giant warzone thaf a Cult world during Tyranid planetfall would be.

Hell, that sounds fine to me.

Chalk me up as another happy the Cult can properly fight for its space gods.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

This is a good point. I guess it'd have to depend if an all-GSC detachment within a Tyranid army would still be a GSC detachment or not.

Looking at it, you're permitted 1 detachment of IG for each detachment of GSC and you completely ignore the astra militarum tag on them so if you want to run nids GSC and IG you have to run a minimum of 3 detachments. Although there's nothing stopping you running the single slot -1cp detachments.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Attestant posted:

It'll be interesting to see how the NEW GW will react to this leak. Are they going to continue drip feeding us official spoilers, or react somehow.

Been curious to see their response the moment the first leaks started appearing.
I figure some heads are going to roll behind the screen but I am curious about their public response.
Unless that turns out to be a release day FAQ or something based on peoples input and opinions.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

People real salty about some get you by rules.

I think there's some confusion over how permanent these rules are, or worries on how they reflect on the final product.

I do find it amusing how 'Nid and Ork players seem to be mostly happy, while others seem a little more likely to complain. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Laughing, saying "you got us," and putting up unit rules clearly and for free would be a great PR move, but also bite into index sales massively.

• Locked thread