Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A lot of things would make more sense if Trump was a doppelgänger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

A lot of things would make more sense if Trump was a doppelgänger.

"No, it wasn't my Donald, it was that...man I saw, disgusting long combed over hair and that awful FACE...."

On a random note as well I always felt kinda bad for Frank Silva, the guy who played Bob - y'know, he was the set dresser on the pilot and Lynch caught him in the mirror and he accidentally locked himself in Laura Palmer's bedroom, etc... But by all accounts, like, he was the ABSOLUTE sweetest guy ever and wouldn't harm a fly. But man oh man did he play the HELL out of that role!

Is it widely known by now that Frank Silva was gay, and died of AIDS-related complications? I'm not sure - my understanding was that he was never closeted, it was just that nobody really cared,as it likely should be... My haircutter of ten years (also gay, also had AIDS, also a sweetheart, also dead now :() knew Frank Silva when he lived in LA and would see him around all the time and liked telling the story of how EXTRA shocked he was at Twin Peaks because a friend of his was playing EVIL INCARNATE. It actually made Bob as played by Frank Silva a bit less scary to me, and now it makes the CooperBob even creepier to me.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 31, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

"No, it wasn't my Donald, it was that...man I saw, disgusting long combed over hair and that awful FACE...."

On a random note as well I always felt kinda bad for Frank Silva, the guy who played Bob - y'know, he was the set dresser on the pilot and Lynch caught him in the mirror and he accidentally locked himself in Laura Palmer's bedroom, etc... But by all accounts, like, he was the ABSOLUTE sweetest guy ever and wouldn't harm a fly. But man oh man did he play the HELL out of that role!

Is it widely known by now that Frank Silva was gay, and died of AIDS-related complications? I'm not sure - my understanding was that he was never closeted, it was just that nobody really cared,as it likely should be... My haircutter of ten years (also gay, also had AIDS, also a sweetheart, also dead now :() knew Frank Silva when he lived in LA and would see him around all the time and liked telling the story of how EXTRA shocked he was at Twin Peaks because a friend of his was playing EVIL INCARNATE. It actually made Bob as played by Frank Silva a bit less scary to me, and now it makes the CooperBob even creepier to me.

Why would you feel bad about Frank Silva? He was a set dresser with dreams of wanting to be an actor. He accidentally showed up in a mirror, which could possibly get him fired, but Lynch decided to make him the central focus and villain of the whole universe. He appears in most of the episodes and he's terrifying. Guy got super lucky and then earned his place, good for him.

Most horror actors or scary-dude actors are actually really nice. Ray Liotta terrifies me, but I've heard he's a sweetheart.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh, I don't really feel bad for him; it's just that if you had aspirations to be an actor getting cast as this character who sort of represents not just evil, but the joy a sort of person might get in the act or torturing and murdering someone and also observing the anguish and heartbreak it causes (garmonbozia) - being widely known for that at the end of your life.

I suppose what I really feel bad about is that he probably died a really awful and protracted death like most people who died of AIDS complications around that time. Unless you were Magic Johnson with a mountain of money, it wasn't just a death sentence back then - it was months and possibly years of ever-increasing pain and sickness that you know can kill you at any moment - horrifying. And (perhaps interestingly) he had contracted HIV well before he was working on the crew for the Twin Peaks Pilot and got cast as Bob. I occasionally wonder if knowledge of his own impending demise informed his performance on some deeper level.

It really was an unbelievably scary time in the gay community, and I can't begin to imagine how awful it would have been to have contracted HIV in the '80s or early '90s. *shivers* So frankly I'm really glad he got to play such an amazing, indelible, unforgettable character.

Oh! Here's some footage I unearthed earlier this morning of Frank speaking and taking questions at Twin Peaks Fest in 1993 (the second one and the only on Frank attended, this would have been shortly after FWWM). Probably some of you have seen this, I doubt ALL of you have...This footage is really fantastic, it's actually pretty high quality given that it's 25 years old and was recorded by someone in the audience I think. I'll post the part where Frank speaks, it's REALLY great and the only video (or interview in writing or otherwise) that I've seen where he really speaks at length. The only other time I'd seen him out of character was in a very short and low quality video with Anderson (or do we refer to him as The Little Man We do Not Name now?) and Lynch.

Anyway, here's the video of Frank Silva talking/taking questions at Twin Peaks Fest in 1993 - the volume is pretty low so you may have to turn it up a first but it gets better when Frank actually starts speaking into the mic after a minute in, heh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4yAGRUqUh0
(it leads into Part 4 which is more awesome Frank. There was some interesting stuff here that I did not previously know.

I also think his analysis of Bob in this video is absolutely spot-on and actually quite pertinent to understanding season 3. Bob may be a denizen of the Black Lodge, but unlike Mike or The Arm or The Giant, he seems totally uninterested in maintaining the status quo and would just as easily destroy the entire multiverse in order to get off on it, if he felt so inclined. Absolutely chaotic amoral personality.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 31, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Franchescanado posted:

Why would you feel bad about Frank Silva? He was a set dresser with dreams of wanting to be an actor. He accidentally showed up in a mirror, which could possibly get him fired, but Lynch decided to make him the central focus and villain of the whole universe. He appears in most of the episodes and he's terrifying. Guy got super lucky and then earned his place, good for him.

Lynch actually talked about how Frank became BOB in this video from ten years ago.

E:VVV Awesome. And it's nice to have corroborating stories!

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 31, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Lynch actually talked about how Frank became BOB in this video from ten years ago.

You get the story from Frank Silva's side in the video I posted (remember to watch Part 4 as well as part 3) except in Silva's version he does a great Lynch impression :colbert:

edit: Holy poo poo! On a totally unrelated note, I just found out that my ALL-TIME FAVORITE Legend of Zelda game (Link's Awakening on the original GameBoy/GameBoy Color) was, in fact, partially inspired by Twin Peaks! No poo poo! Apparently there is this podcast where the director of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, asks various longtime Nintendo developers questions about various games. He gets Takashi Tezuka and Eiji Aonuma together, both deeply involved with the Zelda series (the latter fellow being involved in the production/direction or pretty much every single Zelda game released). Anyway, here is an amusing snippet of conversation:

quote:

Aonuma: Whoa, here we go. (laughs) Iwata-san, do you know about Twin Peaks?

Iwata: No. Bring me up to speed. (laughs)

Tezuka: We were talking about this before you arrived. I was talking about fashioning Link’s Awakening with a feel that was somewhat like Twin Peaks. At the time, Twin Peaks was rather popular. The drama was all about a small number of characters in a small town.

Iwata: Okay…

Tezuka: So when it came to Link’s Awakening, I wanted to make something that, while it would be small enough in scope to easily understand, it would have deep and distinctive characteristics.

Aonuma: At the time, I didn’t know what he was talking about. I was like, “What is this guy talking about?” (laughs) But since Twin Peaks was popular at the time…

Iwata: You thought he just wanted to be trendy?

Aonuma: Yeah. (laughs) I thought, “You really want to make Zelda like that?!” Now the mystery is solved. (laughs) When I was reading Tanabe-san’s comments in the strategy guide, I saw, “Tezuka-san suggested we make all the characters suspicious types like in the then-popular Twin Peaks.”

No wonder that game was always my favorite! Oh man. And I can see the similarities when I think about the game, which I've actually beaten again a few times recently since I own it on 3DS and it's a fun game to just play on a long plane ride or car trip or whatever. It totally has an offbeat strange vibe that makes it very different and much... erm, less welcoming than other Zelda games. I find this soooo fascinating.

edit: I confused myself writing this post and...yeah :psyduck:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 31, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

kaworu posted:

You get the story from Frank SIlva's side in the video I posted (remember to watch Part 4 as well as part 3) except in Silva's version he does a great Lynch impression :colbert:

Developing a good David Lynch impression is one of the most important actions anyone can take in their lives.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kaworu posted:

You get the story from Frank Silva's side in the video I posted (remember to watch Part 4 as well as part 3) except in Silva's version he does a great Lynch impression :colbert:

edit: Holy poo poo! On a totally unrelated note, I just found out that my ALL-TIME FAVORITE Legend of Zelda game (Link's Awakening on the original GameBoy/GameBoy Color) was, in fact, partially inspired by Twin Peaks! No poo poo! Apparently there is this podcast where the director of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, asks various longtime Nintendo developers questions about various games. He gets Takashi Tezuka and Eiji Aonuma together, both deeply involved with the Zelda series (the latter fellow being involved in the production/direction or pretty much every single Zelda game released). Anyway, here is an amusing snippet of conversation:

No wonder I always liked that one the best! And in retrospect it makes total sense, that particular Zelda game has always been strange, with its own bizarre, internal logic at work throughout. Fascinating. Aonuma: Whoa, here we go. (laughs) Iwata-san, do you know about Twin Peaks?

Iwata: No. Bring me up to speed. (laughs)

Tezuka: We were talking about this before you arrived. I was talking about fashioning Link’s Awakening with a feel that was somewhat like Twin Peaks. At the time, Twin Peaks was rather popular. The drama was all about a small number of characters in a small town.

Iwata: Okay…

Tezuka: So when it came to Link’s Awakening, I wanted to make something that, while it would be small enough in scope to easily understand, it would have deep and distinctive characteristics.

Aonuma: At the time, I didn’t know what he was talking about. I was like, “What is this guy talking about?” (laughs) But since Twin Peaks was popular at the time…

Iwata: You thought he just wanted to be trendy?

Aonuma: Yeah. (laughs) I thought, “You really want to make Zelda like that?!” Now the mystery is solved. (laughs) When I was reading Tanabe-san’s comments in the strategy guide, I saw, “Tezuka-san suggested we make all the characters suspicious types like in the then-popular Twin Peaks.”

No wonder that game was always my favorite! Oh man. And I can see the similarities when I think about the game, which I've actually beaten again a few times recently since I own it on 3DS and it's a fun game to just play on a long plane ride or car trip or whatever. It totally has an offbeat strange vibe that makes it very different and much... erm, less welcoming than other Zelda games. I find this soooo fascinating.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure twin peaks is one of those bits of western culture that has a cult following in Japan, see also, Deadly Premonition

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Do we know if Silva had training as an actor? I always thought he did an amazing job with an almost silent role. The way he used to move around - and I'm thinking of the scenes in FWWM where he enters through Laura's window - and his facial expressions, etc were stunningly effective.

That dude scared me more than anything else I ever saw in my adolescence.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Majora's Mask also has a heavy Twin Peaks vibe, though there's also obviously Swery (Deadly Premonitions), and likely Suda51 as well.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

BeigeJacket posted:

Do we know if Silva had training as an actor? I always thought he did an amazing job with an almost silent role. The way he used to move around - and I'm thinking of the scenes in FWWM where he enters through Laura's window - and his facial expressions, etc were stunningly effective.

Well, frankly the one scene where he had to do "real acting" was in that absurd scene they shot as an ending for the Pilot where Coop, Truman, and One-Armed Mike go into the basement of the hospital and find Bob in "The Killer's Lair" where Mike shoots him and it ends. Frank Silva's acting was decidedly not all that top notch in this scene.

But everything was up in the air during that scene and if you listen to the videos I posted, that was filmed at the end of a long day and Silva had never done anything like it and barely had time to memorize his lines. Once he knew what he was doing with the character and had a better handle on who/what he was actually playing, he did a *fantastic* job I think. Heck, even parts of the "Killer's Lair" scene were still pretty great, like his delivery of "I'll catch you with my death-bag, you may think I've gone insane. But I swear, I will kill again."

But really, he was very talanted at exuding menace with his body language, and comportment. Using his face and affectations extremely effectively, especially when he'd throw back his head and do this scream/howl. Terrifying. There was always this wolf-like, stalking quality to him and his body language, too - yeah, probably had something to do with the long grey hair, I admit, but still. "Wolflike" is perhaps the best way to describe him, really.

Kyle Machlachlan's portrayal of him is much less wolf-like and much more... reptilian. Which kinda makes sense, if Coop and Bob had merged. Coop was always a bit reptilian, from the way he wore his hair to his extreme precision, and the way that he seemed never to waste a single movement of his muscles - every action Cooper makes is deliberate and thought out, he never twitches or fidgets. And his Bob is the same way, but it's far more menacing in that case.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 31, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Developing a good David Lynch impression is one of the most important actions anyone can take in their lives.

I practice daily. I'm getting close.

taser rates posted:

Majora's Mask also has a heavy Twin Peaks vibe, though there's also obviously Swery (Deadly Premonitions), and likely Suda51 as well.

*cough*Alan Wake*cough*

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

*cough*Alan Wake*cough*

Haven't played it! I was thinking mainly about Japanese games in my defense, though isn't that more Stephen King?

kaworu posted:

Well, frankly the one scene where he had to do "real acting" was in that absurd scene they shot as an ending for the Pilot where Coop, Truman, and One-Armed Mike go into the basement of the hospital and find Bob in "The Killer's Lair" where Mike shoots him and it ends. Frank Silva's acting was decidedly not all that top notch in this scene.

But everything was up in the air during that scene and if you listen to the videos I posted, that was filmed at the end of a long day and Silva had never done anything like it and barely had time to memorize his lines. Once he knew what he was doing with the character and had a better handle on who/what he was actually playing, he did a *fantastic* job I think. Heck, even parts of the "Killer's Lair" scene were still pretty great, like his delivery of "I'll catch you with my death-bag, you may think I've gone insane. But I swear, I will kill again."

But really, he was very talanted at exuding menace with his body language, and comportment. Using his face and affectations extremely effectively, especially when he'd throw back his head and do this scream/howl. Terrifying. There was always this wolf-like, stalking quality to him and his body language, too - yeah, probably had something to do with the long grey hair, I admit, but still. "Wolflike" is perhaps the best way to describe him, really.

Kyle Machlachlan's portrayal of him is much less wolf-like and much more... reptilian. Which kinda makes sense, if Coop and Bob had merged. Coop was always a bit reptilian, from the way he wore his hair to his extreme precision, and the way that he seemed never to waste a single movement of his muscles - every action Cooper makes is deliberate and thought out, he never twitches or fidgets. And his Bob is the same way, but it's far more menacing in that case.

The scene where he crawls through the frame of composition at Maddie is one the most terrifying in the show for me, and that was basically all his body language, wolflike and stalking like you say.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

taser rates posted:

Haven't played it! I was thinking mainly about Japanese games in my defense, though isn't that more Stephen King?

This is Lantern Lady. She receives premonitions from her lantern.

This is the diner where everyone hangs out, and Shelley the waitress.

There's a TV show throughout the game called "Night Falls" which is basically Invitation To Love

There are a lot of other connections, too.

It is inspired by Stephen King in a "What if Stephen King went to write a book in Twin Peaks" sort of way.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

kaworu posted:

edit: Holy poo poo! On a totally unrelated note, I just found out that my ALL-TIME FAVORITE Legend of Zelda game (Link's Awakening on the original GameBoy/GameBoy Color) was, in fact, partially inspired by Twin Peaks! (etc)

It was also also the first Zelda to feature the Owl.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zat posted:

It was also also the first Zelda to feature the Owl.

holy poo poo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BeigeJacket posted:

IMDB says he studied theater in school, getting a masters in light design, so i would assume he had done some acting while learning his backstage skills. and from what i remember, when lynch had the idea to use silva, he was moving furniture around the set and someone warned him not to block himself in. this gave lynch a vision of silva trapped, so he wanted to film some shots of silva not knowing how they would be used. lynch asked silva if he had a SAG card, which he did

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
As long as we're mentioning games that take a lot from twin peaks, a big one is Earthbound.

There's sly references like the Jackie's bartender only having one eye, and Moonside in general being very Lynchian, but both also have a very similar mishmash of 50s and 80s americana.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Speaking of video games influenced by Twin Peaks, what about the Persona series? I thought the Velvet Room was inspired by the Black Lodge.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mizzurna Falls basically is Twin Peaks: The Game, maybe even more so than Deadly Premonition.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Speaking of video games influenced by Twin Peaks, what about the Persona series? I thought the Velvet Room was inspired by the Black Lodge.

The Japanese seem to really like turning the Black Lodge drapes blue. It's there in Persona, it's there in (OBSCURE ANIME ALERT!) RahXephon, right down to the floor design -- and I know it's in something else, though I'm possibly thinking of Death Parade.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dougie's house is the white lodge. cooper's arc will end with him accepting his new role as Dougie and raising Sonny Jim

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Japanese seem to really like turning the Black Lodge drapes blue. It's there in Persona, it's there in (OBSCURE ANIME ALERT!) RahXephon, right down to the floor design -- and I know it's in something else, though I'm possibly thinking of Death Parade.

I like to believe it also serves to reference Lynch's Blue Velvet. Two references for the price of one.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The first time I ever saw anything about Twin Peaks was a scene of Bob appearing to someone who screamed at him and my first impression is that it must be an absurd comedy because how could anyone be scared of such a goofy looking long haired guy. Frank Silva looks like the kind of guy who does macrame and gives out his pieces for free to his neighbors.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Shibawanko posted:

The first time I ever saw anything about Twin Peaks was a scene of Bob appearing to someone who screamed at him and my first impression is that it must be an absurd comedy because how could anyone be scared of such a goofy looking long haired guy. Frank Silva looks like the kind of guy who does macrame and gives out his pieces for free to his neighbors.

He was definitely that guy in real life, and he didn't grow into the role until the movie IMO. He was an art department guy who ended up in the role sort of by accident.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

2 questions:

1 - are there any really good / worthwhile TP podcasts?
2 - Back in 2001 I bought a newly released DVD box that was season 1 only. S2 wasn't released until the Gold Box DVDs, and S1's set never included the pilot because of varying rights/licensing issues. I had a VHS version that was edited totally differently then the pilot in the box sets now, and included the weird int'l version ending as well as some scenes that were later removed.

I have a really really clear memory of this, but can't find info on it anywhere: the version I had that I remember watching dozens of times, had a scene where Lucy and Andy are at home at night, sitting in bed in pajamas and playing musical instruments loudly, when Andy gets a phone call? Does anyone else remember this or am I completely crazy? I can't find it online.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mraagvpeine posted:

Max Payne has that tv series playing on some of the sets in the game that's a pretty good twin peaks parody, down to the last episode having the protagonist look in the bathroom mirror to see he is his own doppelgänger.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a really really clear memory of this, but can't find info on it anywhere: the version I had that I remember watching dozens of times, had a scene where Lucy and Andy are at home at night, sitting in bed in pajamas and playing musical instruments loudly, when Andy gets a phone call? Does anyone else remember this or am I completely crazy? I can't find it online.

It's in the International Pilot and it's a pretty funny scene. It's definitely on the bluray version.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've read somewhere that Silva had a very hard time watching any of his Twin Peaks performances and seeing himself portray this pure evil character.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

hallo spacedog posted:

2 questions:

1 - are there any really good / worthwhile TP podcasts?

Twin Peaks Rewatch is fantastic.
https://www.idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks/

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's in the International Pilot and it's a pretty funny scene. It's definitely on the bluray version.

Thanks! I have the bluray set but no player so I've never seen it, or missing pieces, which is pretty stupid I know.

I remember that scene and how funny it was but now I'm starting to get the sense it means way more than I originally thought. I'm probably overanalyzing though.

Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks! I have the bluray set but no player so I've never seen it, or missing pieces, which is pretty stupid I know.

I remember that scene and how funny it was but now I'm starting to get the sense it means way more than I originally thought. I'm probably overanalyzing though.

Thanks!

My friend loves the Idle Thumbs podcast (at least I think that's the one). They've read Frost's book and everything.

I've never seen Missing Pieces either, because I can't/won't spend $90 on a blu-ray set.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

hallo spacedog posted:

Thanks!

It's the moment where the international version really hugely diverges from the actual show. Leland calls them, tells them about Bob, and then Cooper and Truman go to confront him in his lair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just finished season 2... Cooper! :ohdear:

Just Fire Walk With Me to go and I can start the new episodes. It's been a week and a half since they started airing the new episodes, I think I may be the person who has waited the longest in history before being able to see new Twin Peaks. Almost two weeks between season 2 and season 3? Horrifying.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Just finished season 2... Cooper! :ohdear:

Just Fire Walk With Me to go and I can start the new episodes. It's been a week and a half since they started airing the new episodes, I think I may be the person who has waited the longest in history before being able to see new Twin Peaks. Almost two weeks between season 2 and season 3? Horrifying.

Not that it's in any way the same show but I really enjoyed your takes on The Wire, so I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on the movie and new series!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Last time I watched FWWM, I was really impressed with Frank Silva during the rape scene, because BOB doesn't come off as if his actions are fueled by sexual desire, it's more out of control and cruelty, which is incredibly dark and fully evil instead of just sexual perversion.

Spoilers because it's probably the most shocking moment of the movie, don't want to spoil some that haven't seen it yet.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, it's very funny reading the posts from Jerusalem, because (and I hope he's not reading this post yet) it's got to be very odd to go from FWWM and the end of season 2 straight into season 3. It just seems odd.

Mostly because the passage of time is such a critical aspect of the plot in season 3. One of the really difficult things that Lynch had to pull off, was he had to simultaneously acknowledge the passage of time - how could he not? Actors age and even if they didn't you couldn't just pick right up with Cooper in the bathroom after 27 years. It wouldn't do!

But at the same time, time also seems to have been standing still - to me, that's almost part of the point of the Red Room. I think it's important to refer back to Inland Empire in this case, because I imagine that time flows in The Red Room (and perhaps in season 3 itself as a whole) probably a great deal more like it does as Grace Zabriskie describes it in a scene from that film. "Why, if it was 9:45, I would think it were after midnight!"

I cannot entirely wrap my head around what I'm trying to say, but I feel like what we had been witnessing was part of something cyclical and important and expected, and I think Cooper-BOB's actions are throwing things out of whack in ways that will gently caress with the fabric of the barrier between reality and whatever sort of dimensions or world(s) Agent Cooper was moving through from the moment he entered at Glastonbury Grove to the moment he exited a power outlet 25 years later.

I'm also still unclear about the oft-repeated query, "Is it future? Or is it past?" If you forgot, this is also a question that The Arm asks Cooper twice in FWWM (or Missing Pieces, I forget). Regardless, it's a significant question in the Red Room, and I think it may be an even more significant question in "The purple room" or where-ever that was. Perhaps it's an even an important question in reality in some way we don't quite understand, yet.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 1, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Only asking here because it's the most likely to have knowledgeable answers. I saw MulhollNd Drive like 6 months ago and I couldn't get it. Like I get that either the first half is s dream or the second half is a dream or maybe both are half dreams, but while I still suppose I liked it, I still couldn't tell you what happened or what the blue box or the homeless woman (whose expression I just read was the actress making gently caress Me Eyes at David Lynch) really "mean," etc. Of Lynch's works I've seen Twin Peaks, FWWM , the past 4 eps of S3, Mulholland, and Eraserhead like 4 times because it's possibly my favorite movie.

So I'll watch the rest of his works, but are there any tips or recommended cliff notes guides of Mulholland Drive? I liked it and I know that you can never 100% understand one of his works, but I want to make sure I'll understand it fully as possible next time I watch it since it's a long movie and I'd like the next viewing to be my definitive one.
Or if some tips of things to focus on or think about when viewing would also be fine. Remember, I HAVE seen it I just don't know what he hell happened. Then I'll see Inland Empire I guess

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm on my 5th or 6th rewatch of the original series since it aired and I'm always amazed at how much I forget. A lot of it is convoluted as hell, or just boring. It's crazy how obvious it is when you're watching a Lynch-directed episode, the mood is so different, more absurd and horrific. That's the mood I always associate in my mind with Twin Peaks, but a lot of the actual show is very much not like this. FWWM really nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Only asking here because it's the most likely to have knowledgeable answers. I saw MulhollNd Drive like 6 months ago and I couldn't get it. Like I get that either the first half is s dream or the second half is a dream or maybe both are half dreams, but while I still suppose I liked it, I still couldn't tell you what happened or what the blue box or the homeless woman (whose expression I just read was the actress making gently caress Me Eyes at David Lynch) really "mean," etc. Of Lynch's works I've seen Twin Peaks, FWWM , the past 4 eps of S3, Mulholland, and Eraserhead like 4 times because it's possibly my favorite movie.

So I'll watch the rest of his works, but are there any tips or recommended cliff notes guides of Mulholland Drive? I liked it and I know that you can never 100% understand one of his works, but I want to make sure I'll understand it fully as possible next time I watch it since it's a long movie and I'd like the next viewing to be my definitive one.
Or if some tips of things to focus on or think about when viewing would also be fine. Remember, I HAVE seen it I just don't know what he hell happened. Then I'll see Inland Empire I guess

You're right: it's about dreams, with one part of the movie most likely a dream. Just consider that each half of the movie is telling one story, they're just telling it from different angles, and between them you have to decide what the real story is. Consider the concept of dreams within dreams. Consider that, in our dreams, people and situation are exaggerated or changed to fuel our ego. Consider that everyone considers themselves as the main character in the movie that is there life, and that it can create delusion to reality. You like it? Watch it again. Lynch's movies, for me, just make more sense the more I watch them. Each has their own internal logic. Maybe the blue box makes more sense, maybe you realized the Club Silencio scene explains the movies themes in a certain way.

I think you're going to get hosed up on Lost Highway and INLAND EMPIRE if you have issues understanding Mulholland Drive. Lost Highway is more related to Twin Peaks than anything. But you'll enjoy Wild At Heart, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, and The Straight Story.

Have you seen Blue Velvet? You should probably watch Blue Velvet.

Eraserhead is till my favorite.