Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

In the US I've never heard anything other than "El Camino" (after one of the earlier brands) used to refer to what you are calling a "small ute" (i.e., a car body with a pickup back).

The Ute (Short for Utility Coup, apparently) as a concept started in Australia back in the '30s, as a way to have a car that could "Go to church on Sunday and bring the pigs to market on Monday," and has stayed pretty popular there even after the brief American love affair with the Ford Ranchero and the Chevy El Camino died in the '70s. Just less demand for that kind of vehicle in the States, especially when pickup trucks are already ubiquitous.

Except, IIRC GM was actually going to bring the El Camino back in the late 2000s as a rebaged Holden Ute, until the stock market crash happened and the company had to drastically restructure itself to avoid total bankruptcy :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda don't think you needed to explain Steve Irwin THAT thoroughly, because he was pretty drat famous.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zagglezig posted:

Quick backtrack to the update: was that place an Avatar the Last Airbender reference? You've got the moon and sea = yin and yang thing, plus the history of the town sounded basically the same as the two lovers story about Omashu, even down to combining names. Just that much more baffling that they put in all that effort to set up all those moon/waves themes and didn't actually make the gym leaders use appropriate types to reflect that.

uh no it was just drawing on the same kinds of real world eastern cultural influences that the avatar writers did

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just less demand for that kind of vehicle in the States, especially when pickup trucks are already ubiquitous.
...and when an El Camino looks as ugly as homemade sin.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Waffleman_ posted:

I kinda don't think you needed to explain Steve Irwin THAT thoroughly, because he was pretty drat famous.
He died a decade ago, it's entirely possible that someone of voting age could have only vague memories of who he was. (And how's that for making you feel old?)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

PMush Perfect posted:

He died a decade ago, it's entirely possible that someone of voting age could have only vague memories of who he was. (And how's that for making you feel old?)

:negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

...and when an El Camino looks as ugly as homemade sin.

you take that back you son of a bitch the El Camino is beautiful

fake edit: okay maybe not the later ones

Late '70s/early '80s were not a good time for cars

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

you take that back you son of a bitch the El Camino is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqn7vXeVCLE

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love Stubbs for the large testicles hanging out of each leg.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Coq au Nandos posted:

Context for Theraynesarere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxfurkPuTo

Also the Wifi Pokémon is Australian because wifi was invented by the CSIRO.

Thank you. I was wondering if anyone would remember the ad. Sure, the monsoon makes sense but why is it corn? That's why.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Gridlocked posted:

Aw man they don't explain Errwinn properly.

They don't explain it because it doesn't need explaining.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Golden Goat posted:

So was there any point to pokemon uranium the floor tile puzzle?
Like you just had to run around to fill squares and you didn't have to reach the door just as you balanced the tiles or anything.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that was how it was supposed to work, but they messed up. And then never tested it/just made sure the actual intended solution worked, but didn't try to just get equal #s.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

uh no it was just drawing on the same kinds of real world eastern cultural influences that the avatar writers did

Ok, it just seemed a little too similar, considering this game's blatant use of pop culture references like the hokage stuff.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Gridlocked posted:

Theraynsarere: The Rains Are Here. Not 100% on this either but large weather events are both a blessing and curse in Australia. Often times there is drought where a spot of rain is most welcomed by farmers but typically when it happens it ends up being a LOT of rain and floods everything out. On the coast it's typically in the form of a cyclone (monsoon) that destroys fuckin' everything.

It's almost certainly a reference to this ad campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxfurkPuTo

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Gridlocked posted:

Blaccbox: The black box of an aircraft, used for recording flight data. Typically high sought post-crash to help discover the issue that caused the crash. Not found in the case of MH370.

Wifly: It's a fly but also the WiFi symbol on your phones and tables and poo poo.

Blackbox- idk, I guess because Australia was the first place to make them mandatory and some dude worked on them here in the 50s?

WiFi- because CSIRO

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No 'it's Showtime!' references when explaining any of the Bigs, for shame. You even had the titlular Big O. :colbert:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gridlocked posted:

Elekidna: It's an Echidna. A native Australian animal that is a spiny anteater of the Monotreme family, that is mammals that lay eggs which are only found in Australia and some surrounding islands (and PNG).

Elekidyeah: Same as above but he's giving you the thumbs up bro. Yeah!

Isn't the joke here supposed to be that aussies tend to use "Nah" and "Yeah" rather than no and yes?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

This thread has taught me more about Australia than I would have ever imagined.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Make this thread the official June Auspol thread. If you do, I'll get a Girafarig named Healthy Harold.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that the yin-yang is a symbol of Daoism, which is distinctly not Zen Buddhism. Granted, Daoist thinking influenced Chan Buddhism, which became Zen Buddhism when it spread to Japan, but man those are some pretty serious degrees of separation.

Also those Australian pokemon rule.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
everything from asia are the same.

but yeah, I'm pretty sure yin-yang is more of a chinese thing than Japanese.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Did you know your pokemon can die in the latest grimdark mobile pokemon game?

It's a game where you raise magikarp and if you get a bad roll a pidgeotto will swoop down and devour it alive.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Tunicate posted:

Did you know your pokemon can die in the latest grimdark mobile pokemon game?

It's a game where you raise magikarp and if you get a bad roll a pidgeotto will swoop down and devour it alive.

uhhh

No, it just steals the Magikarp and forces you to catch a new one. The pokémon doesn't die on-screen or anything like that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There's also an event where a pidgeotto appears in the forest as Magikarp splashes his way home with his friend Pikachu, who thundershocks the pidgeotto so it doesn't brutally murder your Magikarp, and when I showed it to a friend his only comment was to quote Psalm 23.

Now that's some dumb fuckin fan art I really want to see

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Aerdan posted:

uhhh

No, it just steals the Magikarp and forces you to catch a new one. The pokémon doesn't die on-screen or anything like that.
Well, the implication is there. But then again, that's how Pokemon does its grimdark; hidden behind a layer of implications and Pokedex entries. Not with TRAGIC NUCLEAR DEATH before the game even begins.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Another fail state is for a Voltorb to blow your Magikarp to kingdom come.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Aerdan posted:

uhhh

Yeah, the magikarp only dies if you run into a pokeball on your way back from training and try to take it. Most of the time it's a voltorb and it blows your magikarp to smithereens.

Magikarp Jump is pretty great.

e:

Begemot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 31, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kurieg posted:

Isn't the joke here supposed to be that aussies tend to use "Nah" and "Yeah" rather than no and yes?

Probably sounds about right yeah.

Look in all fairness I'm pretty big on pop-culture but I didn't really RESEARCH anything. Everything was off the top of my head so I probably did miss a few bits and pieces.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I'm sorry you don't appreciate the inherent sublimity of business in the front, party in the back

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aerdan posted:

uhhh

Yes yes, I know pidgeotto takes it to a nice farm where it can splash around.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tunicate posted:

Yes yes, I know pidgeotto takes it to a nice farm where it can splash around.

Nah, he just knocks it unconscious

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

If I recall correctly it was established in season 1 that magikarp is actually completely inedible ("just scales and bones").

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scarodactyl posted:

If I recall correctly it was established in season 1 that magikarp is actually completely inedible ("just scales and bones").

This is also what the Pokedex says in... at least early generations; not sure about later on.

Also, as far as I can tell, there are (at least so far) three "failure states" that force you to retire your fish in that game. One is exploding it via Voltorb, one is getting it snatched by a bird (there's a few events that can do this), and one is.... overclicking your fish, breaking its everstone, and evolving it into a Gyarados. Apparently this competition is only for lovely fish, not awesome murderfish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

This is also what the Pokedex says in... at least early generations; not sure about later on.

Also, as far as I can tell, there are (at least so far) three "failure states" that force you to retire your fish in that game. One is exploding it via Voltorb, one is getting it snatched by a bird (there's a few events that can do this), and one is.... overclicking your fish, breaking its everstone, and evolving it into a Gyarados. Apparently this competition is only for lovely fish, not awesome murderfish.

There's also a later event where a scientist asks to experiment on your magikarp and it has the chance of evolving it (thus forcing retirement)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Gyrados ones was definitely a 'Congratulations... but Gyrados can't compete, so yeah'

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I shed a tear when my Magikarp got murdered. Luckily it wasn't a gold one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

IIRC it's not only that, but that they say "nah, yeah" to mean "yes", and "yeah, nah" to mean "no".

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

IIRC it's not only that, but that they say "nah, yeah" to mean "yes", and "yeah, nah" to mean "no".

Yup. Ignore all but the last word; we've even got "Yeah, no-- yeah", which means "I agree."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Nah yeah nah, you're right, that's how we talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Sorites posted:

Yup. Ignore all but the last word; we've even got "Yeah, no-- yeah", which means "I agree."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRlqmTKyQx0

• Locked thread