Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
I finished Yakuza 5 yesterday and jumped straight into 0. Thought it might be a mistake because I'd end up getting burned out, but so far it's just highlighted how slick and well-made 0 is, plus all the quality of life improvements like not having the streets constantly filled with crowds of pedestrians.

0 owns so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Oh poo poo it's happening

What's everyone's baseless speculation for what it'll be about? I'm hoping and praying for Akiyama.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
My dream is a game set in post-war Japan.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mikeycp posted:

My dream is a game set in post-war Japan.

Yakuza -1

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
The yakuza fan site presented the idea of a new game set outside of Japan. I don't hate the idea of visiting the underworld in other parts of Asia. Hell, I'd kill for any kind of game to take place in Macau.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 30, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

TheLoser posted:

The yakuza fan site presented the idea of a new game set outside of Japan. I don't hate the idea of visiting the underworld in other parts of Asia. Hell, I'd kill for any kind of game to take place in Maccou.

They had a dope idea for a post-war game too. Where you follow the rise of the guy who started the Tojo.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

mikeycp posted:

They had a dope idea for a post-war game too. Where you follow the rise of the guy who started the Tojo.

Now do you commit crimes like an actual Yakuza in this one or do you beat up all of the people who are committing the crimes as in every other Yakuza game?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's the Tojo, so both.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress?! Holy poo poo! The Bed of Styx...

Edit: I've had a poo poo ton of fun with the darts minigame... But I'm having a lot of trouble with the pool one... I'm having a lot of problems making shots. It says pull back the right sticj and release it, but 80% of the time that does nothing, and I ent up wildly flicking the stick trying to get it to trigger a shot. After a random amount of time it decides to accept an input.

Edit: further experience seems to indicate that you just need to hold the stick at your desired draw for a few seconds and then release it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 30, 2017

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I started this game tonight and played for a couple of hours. I heard it was funny but I guess I expected more weirdo japanese goofiness than the deadpan absurdist I got. I meant that as a compliment - the tutorial fight where you decide to beat two guys sober AND THEN DO IT was really loving hilarious. The plot's pretty good too so far!

I beat Persona 5 and other than that hadn't played a Japanese game in a really, really long time. It's nice to see Yakuza's translation isn't as terrible as Persona's. I've seen no incomprehensible lines so far, and good use of idiom - for a super niche game about pretending you're an irresponsible Japanese salary-man in the 1980s (also with occasional fistfights) it does a great job of adapting things to make me, a stupid westerner, actually understand what's going on. Like, early on the protagonist tells his friend 'stop busting my balls' which is a phrase i understand which lets me understand what the characters are saying to each other. I'm sorry if I'm harping on this but persona's translation was so bad guys, so bad, they would have never said "busting my balls" because a word-for-word japanese translation is SO MUCH PURER and just been like 'oh don't get the exact reference to this 16th century japanese novel? well git gud at the animes bitch!'

question: how do I pick up items in combat? I've done it a few times but I'd prefer it to be choice and not button-mashing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yakuza 0's translation is fantastic.

Example: every moment of the crossword puzzle quest

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
??? gently caress I must have missed something where is that?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just did the crossword puzzle quest. It's in Sotenbori in front of Kani Douraku.

I really like the flavor of the sub stories in thism it's my first Yakuza game, and I keep thinking "if this was a quest in Witcher 3, the ending would have been really dark".

Edit: you pick up items with circle, if you are jn a style that can pick up items.

This game definitely has its share of ridiculously goofy poo poo.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Sega had Atlus do a once-through with the translated English script for the game and it really shows. I hope they keep doing it for the other games.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

wait, Atlus did the translation? Like, the same Atlus who did Persona 5?

What the gently caress happened to Persona then? Do they usually translate games well? There were whole scenes in P5 that were actually incomprehensible. There was a moment in your in-game English class where the teacher refers to an English idiom THAT DOESN'T EXIST. There's an extended subplot with serious pathos where they keep using the phrase "maternal neurosis" instead of the actual term, "postpartum depression." Does Atlus have different divisions or something? I'm now seriously curious how the same company could have turned out such wildly different quality translations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I thought Atlus was told to do P5 the way they did

Like Do This Because We Said So

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

wait, Atlus did the translation? Like, the same Atlus who did Persona 5?

What the gently caress happened to Persona then? Do they usually translate games well? There were whole scenes in P5 that were actually incomprehensible. There was a moment in your in-game English class where the teacher refers to an English idiom THAT DOESN'T EXIST. There's an extended subplot with serious pathos where they keep using the phrase "maternal neurosis" instead of the actual term, "postpartum depression." Does Atlus have different divisions or something? I'm now seriously curious how the same company could have turned out such wildly different quality translations.

They only made light edits to the already translated script. Sega still did most of the heavy lifting.

Persona 5 has all the signs of a rushed job. They had something like 10 translators and a whopping 6 editors work on localization. Persona 3 and 4 were both edited by just two people, if I remember right.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so, the bossfights in this game are bullshit. The lack of actual lockon is basically a death sentence. And you can easily get stjnlocked for 90% of your healthbar.

It's really lame. It's a shame, because outside of stunguns, the rest of the ckmbat system seems pretty robust and pretry breakable. But a guy than just dodge my attacks and then be behind me and stun me and take me down to 10% of my health, then I heal and he does the same poo poo 3 more times... It's just dumb.

gently caress Sera. Gice me Kuze round 4... (That's probably a real fight that happens, actually... I'm not there yet...)

Edit: I can get Sera down to his last health bar, at which point he just stunlocks me to death. 4th time in a row.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 31, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I,stabbed the poo poo outta Sera with Spicy Knives

Worked like a charm

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

0 is maaaaaaybe the easiest one of these games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, when you finish his first healthbar, a qte cutscenes triggers, if you hit the button, you get full heat. Which is awesome. Except that the next thing that happens is he launches into an unblockable, undodgable combo that drains my heat completely and takes me down to a quarter health.

The fact that any attack I launch against him he has a change of dodging behing me ands stunlocking me makes this really hard.

Even the dodge hit combo he can own me on. x -> triangle is the evade quickhit, and he can dodge hit and combo me from behind. It feels like no matter what I do, I just get donkey punched to death.

Edit 2: I don't understand how I'm supposed to know whether a grapple will succeed or fail, and I don't know how to deal with being hit from behind. Like, if I attack him and he dodges, I get hit frk.behinds and I can't dodge or block, I just habe to take it until his ckmbo ends or I'm knocked down. Is there something I'm missing? Getting behind him barely matters, because he spins around like he was raised by dark souls 2...

Edit3: I'm uploading a video, but it's gonna take a half an hour to upload a 3 minute video. Mostly I feel 2 things: Like I'm fighting the controls more than​ the boss, and the boss is cheating his rear end off.

What am I doing wrong, and how do I git gud at this game?

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 31, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yakuza 0's translation is fantastic.

Example: every moment of the crossword puzzle quest

Sophisticated Lad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Here's the video of my average attempt: https://youtu.be/tMDGak7E0cQ

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When you notice a boss is blatantly auto-dodging your attacks in the basic style, you either have to play defensively (lock-on and dodge when they attack to get behind them) or try the other fighting styles to see if they have a harder time countering those. The bat and beast styles can pretty much button mash anyone down once you've upgraded them enough.

Yeah the Yakuza fighting system is super bad and outdated when it comes to bosses but that's how you work with it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I don't remember any of that guess I just stabbed him way to many times

How many moves so you have unlocked???

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I have unlocked all the 15mil moves. The environmental heat grapple with double qte seems to be the best dps by a longshot, so I'm using Thug, bu5 it's a total crapshoot whether I can grab him or not. At first I thought it was related to his heat level, but it doesn't seem to be.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

p sure i spammed bat nunchuck for that whole fight. though it could've been the 4th style.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Yeah, when bosses start dodging and blocking all your normal stuff, it's time to get creative with other styles and weapons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just beat him swapping to bat, even though the arena seems specifically designed for thug.

The biggest frustration was that there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to when I could and couldn't grab him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The "golf bag full of taser shotguns" method of boss fighting worked for me. Perhaps not intended gameplay but hey

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Snak posted:

Yeah, I just beat him swapping to bat, even though the arena seems specifically designed for thug.

The biggest frustration was that there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to when I could and couldn't grab him.

As a general rule of thumb, unless you have full heat, and even then it's a risk, don't grab a boss. There's really no benefit to it. Block, dodge, and use counter moves. Try to change styles as well, as others have said.

Also, not sure what you're on about with the lack of proper lock on. Pretty sure R1 locks you on to an enemy to let you dodge very specifically around them, and that's just muscle memory watching your video and imagining I'm playing.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

projecthalaxy posted:

The "golf bag full of taser shotguns" method of boss fighting worked for me. Perhaps not intended gameplay but hey

It's good practice if you're ever going to play through Legend difficulty.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I haven't seen a shred of information about that Yakuza announcement so maybe it just didn't happen.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Also, not sure what you're on about with the lack of proper lock on. Pretty sure R1 locks you on to an enemy to let you dodge very specifically around them, and that's just muscle memory watching your video and imagining I'm playing.

In my mind, a 'proper' lockon woukd cause my character to turn around and face the enemy I'm locked on to, should they dodge behind me. Not necissarily instantly, but you, know ever. As you can see from my video, locking on does not help help keep me facing the enemy when he moves, only when I move.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yeah, I think I see the problem. You aren't drinking enough staminans. You should be drinking more staminans.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think your biggest problem, at least with Majima, is that you aren't breakdancing constantly. Or using slugger mode in the rare instance where breakdancing is not viable.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

mikeycp posted:

0 is maaaaaaybe the easiest one of these games.

6 was by far the shortest and easiest I've played

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

whip posted:

6 was by far the shortest and easiest I've played

I haven't gotten to play more than the demo of 6 so I wasn't counting that. But by far the easiest? Yikes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

In my mind, a 'proper' lockon woukd cause my character to turn around and face the enemy I'm locked on to, should they dodge behind me. Not necissarily instantly, but you, know ever. As you can see from my video, locking on does not help help keep me facing the enemy when he moves, only when I move.

You don't have the Charismatic Autobiography equipped, do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I do not :)