Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Love them curves. Fantastic job.

Gonna get into this soon again, but I need that mod that removes the vanilla grass sprites. Bugs the hell out of me when I'm plopping farming decals. Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hamshot posted:

With all the poop rivers this game is an accurate London Thames simulator pre-sewerage system.

If the smell was anything to go by when I visited, it's still accurate

GotLag fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 29, 2017

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Been working on the island city some more. Hand plopping is such a pain but I think it's worth it. I think it's worth it?

[img-awesome]

Yes, definitely worth it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

GotLag posted:

If the smell was anything to go by when I visited, it's still accurate

before the sewers it was a hell of a lot worse! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stink

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BigglesSWE posted:

Love them curves. Fantastic job.

Gonna get into this soon again, but I need that mod that removes the vanilla grass sprites. Bugs the hell out of me when I'm plopping farming decals. Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=547533304&searchtext=

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Friction posted:

Started a new city, and this time I want to make proper industrial zones. The stock 4x4 generic industry looks bit rear end.

This is going to take a while isn't it? :ohdear:

I hate you so much, dang

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There' still a real lacking of heavy industry on the workshops. I want huge steel mills and chemical plants and poo poo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

There' still a real lacking of heavy industry on the workshops. I want huge steel mills and chemical plants and poo poo.

Yes please, gigantic industrial complexes chewing up several stock coal power plants worth of output, but also providing many thousands of jobs and massive exports.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Being a former conductor (and writing this inside one) I'm a bit annoyed that Trams don't have a dedicated category in the workshops. They're not the same as trains dagnabbit!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BigglesSWE posted:

Being a former conductor (and writing this inside one) I'm a bit annoyed that Trams don't have a dedicated category in the workshops. They're not the same as trains dagnabbit!

They do, but no one has tagged their tram stuff for it yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

There are also a decent number of trams that really are straight up trains that were made before the snowfall DLC added real support for them. The Metro Overhaul converter can update them, though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

They do? I can only see Transport, Bus, Metro, Train, Ship and Plane.

D'oh! Way down there eh? Alright, I was wrong. But yeah, start tagging them A32's!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Also, thanks for this!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Sheriff posted:

I am such a hardened veteran of SimCity 4 modding that this is the first time I've fully processed that mods needing dependencies might be questionable to some people.

It's just a lot of work for a video game. Hours spent tweaking settings and dependencies isn't really that fun to most people for what should be a game, and there are better engines out there

free content isn't always enjoyable content (after paying the publishers' cover charge, ofc)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Man Musk posted:

It's just a lot of work for a video game. Hours spent tweaking settings and dependencies isn't really that fun to most people for what should be a game, and there are better engines out there

free content isn't always enjoyable content (after paying the publishers' cover charge, ofc)

Yeah, I build by stuff with no mod dependencies, for the average player who "sees the thing, wants the thing, downloads and installs the thing" without relying on making sure they have 10 other mods (even if they are 'must haves').

I've had requests for some assets to have mod versions of them and i'm either too lazy/stoic in my ways (it's hard to differentiate at this point) to do it. Power users are usually learned enough to add it themselves though honestly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man Musk posted:

All of the mods and assets made for this game are plug and play, and it doesn't matter what order you install them in. Almost none of them have incompability issues, and I can think of four mods that actually need to be configured based on trial and error. I find it hard to believe that you've ever spent hours tweaking any mods or assets unless you're making your own. C:S has easily the most streamlined modding system that I've ever seen.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've had some moments of hesitation. The metro overhaul mod is cool, for example, but when it listed required items which in turn said they required it, I kind of sat there for a moment, sighed and ignored Steam yelling at me to download one of the required items before I downloaded the other thing in the set.

There's also a few maps that ask for Network Extensions or some other road mod to be installed. When I did my usual post-patch unsubsubscribe-to-all-and-rebuild-from-scratch thing after Mass Transit came out, I ended up skipping those maps because I wasn't sure if the relevant mod had been updated or if something had changed in that mod since the map had been made and would no longer work right.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ofaloaf posted:

I've had some moments of hesitation. The metro overhaul mod is cool, for example, but when it listed required items which in turn said they required it, I kind of sat there for a moment, sighed and ignored Steam yelling at me to download one of the required items before I downloaded the other thing in the set.

The MOM changes the way the metro network works, so it needs new stations designed for the new mechanics to work. Obviously, then, the new stations designed with the mod require the mod in order to work. I'm not sure what's so outrageous about that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wanted to buy skylines but then it told me I needed "steam" so I installed steam, then it installed the game but then some dependency popped up saying I needed a "direct X update" so I just closed it down and gave up. Wayyy too many steps and too confusing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Picked up this game after the update and got a solid 6 hours in.

Found a map that's just infinity ~1x1 km hex tile looking islands with plenty of room inbetween for ferries, freighters, cruise ships​ to sail between.

It's pretty neat not having bridges, I ended up having two industrial islands with highway access, and between them was a sort of Manhattan island with no personal cars, just ferry (and later blimp) access, and a commercial ship port to deliver goods.

There's still a surprising amount of goods and services traffic, with deliveries, garbage, fire, police etc

I do wish that there was a half size cargo port for smaller island settlements, a little hamlet of 30 people on an island don't need a full size containership port, nor do they need a full size police station, etc.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 30, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hadlock posted:

Found a map that's just infinity ~1x1 km hex tile looking islands with plenty of room inbetween for ferries, freighters, cruise ships​ to sail between.

It's pretty neat not having bridges, I ended up having two industrial islands with highway access, and between them was a sort of Manhattan island with no personal cars, just ferry (and later blimp) access, and a commercial ship port to deliver goods.

There's still a surprising amount of goods and services traffic, with deliveries, garbage, fire, police etc

I do wish that there was a half size cargo port for smaller island settlements, a little hamlet of 30 people on an island don't need a full size containership port, nor do they need a full size police station, etc.

There's a few smaller ports on the workshop and someone made a "blank" port that's just the a chunk of seawall and nothing else so you can decorate it how you want.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

can you link to that map?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Phone posting so can't find the link, but It's the first and only result for "hex island", or "hex islands" when searching for map assets. It's great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Doorknob Slobber posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932700506&searchtext=hex+

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Hadlock posted:

This is really my little gripe / mod crusade. The game just doesn't give you enough options when it comes to utilities etc. It's just "here's an X, and it does Y that it needs to do", and at most there may be a small/med/large economy of scale versions of X, but never anything more interesting, like no power required, or super expensive, or huge-footprint & cheap. Nothing with really interesting pro/cons. It's particularly hard to even add new interesting custom transport assets because the sizes for the passenger links are static (e.g. the metro stations need to be 1 tile thin, the exit needs to be in the center as to let passengers out of the station and on to pavement).

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 30, 2017

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

The MOM changes the way the metro network works, so it needs new stations designed for the new mechanics to work. Obviously, then, the new stations designed with the mod require the mod in order to work. I'm not sure what's so outrageous about that.
I get that the system needs stations for it to work, but come on, can you appreciate that a circular requirement of X needing Y needing X needing Y is at least a little bit silly at first blush? It didn't stop me from subscribing, but it was enough for me to make a face for a moment before carrying on.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ofaloaf posted:

I get that the system needs stations for it to work, but come on, can you appreciate that a circular requirement of X needing Y needing X needing Y is at least a little bit silly at first blush? It didn't stop me from subscribing, but it was enough for me to make a face for a moment before carrying on.

I mean, in certain circumstances, like if they were both mods, yeah, but as far as I know a mod uploaded to the workshop can't include new assets (I think that MOM gets around this by modifying the original metro train), so having separate downloads for the buildings is just how things have to be done. They aren't so much separate mods, but individual pieces for a single mod.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why are there two network extensions? Why a "2" and not just continuing development of the current one. The new one mentions trams in the future! I want more tram streets but I guess I have to start a new city to switch from ne to ne2? ?? loving mods.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Why are there two network extensions? Why a "2" and not just continuing development of the current one. The new one mentions trams in the future! I want more tram streets but I guess I have to start a new city to switch from ne to ne2? ?? loving mods.

I'm pretty sure that the developers changed and they needed a new person to manage the mod page. This has happened a number of times.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wonder if there a way to upgrade to the new version without save destroying.

For major mods like that there should be ways to have joint ownership or transfer ownership.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

I wonder if there a way to upgrade to the new version without save destroying.

I think that you can just switch to the new version.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn off the TV posted:

I'm pretty sure that the developers changed and they needed a new person to manage the mod page. This has happened a number of times.

Lazarus Man is the "owner" of both mods, weird.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Lazarus Man is the "owner" of both mods, weird.

He's the owner of the second mod, but only a contributor to the first. The Steam Workshop can't actually give multiple people full ownership of a mod, and contributors can't actually upload the main file. There's no way to transfer ownership or have multiple people push updates.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm just loving pumped they're going to do more tram and bike lane poo poo. Like really pumped.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/05/31/crazy-chongqing-interchange.php

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

This is begging for an animated version with Sabre Dance thrown on it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The dazzle camo guard rails really add another level of incomprehensibility to this.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Check out my sweet urban airport bros

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Check out my sweet urban airport bros

London City isn't quite that bad. Also if you miss you hit Canary Wharf which nobody would be sad about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Baronjutter posted:

I wanted to buy skylines but then it told me I needed "steam" so I installed steam, then it installed the game but then some dependency popped up saying I needed a "direct X update" so I just closed it down and gave up. Wayyy too many steps and too confusing.

Um isn't that whole process automated? Also if that process is too confusing this game may not be for you.