Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

What did it run you before?

I think Shoota Boyz were 7 points each in the previous edition, and Nobz weren't free. Also Kustom Shootas didn't exist. The big difference is that Boyz can now hurt anything, their high leadership is great, and if you have more than 20 of them then they're really nasty in assault with 3 attacks each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think Shoota Boyz were 7 points each in the previous edition, and Nobz weren't free. Also Kustom Shootas didn't exist. The big difference is that Boyz can now hurt anything, their high leadership is great, and if you have more than 20 of them then they're really nasty in assault with 3 attacks each.
Worth having then.

Doing the mathhammer on it i think 30 strong of boyz with shootas and associated kit might actually be worth taking on Da Jump.

Even if its just shootas then the mass dakka before you charge is exactly equal to the extra attack from choppaz in terms of average wounds, you're guaranteed it even if the charge fails after, its maximum number of wounds is a lot higher and you're mitigating your own losses to overwatch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Worth having then.

Doing the mathhammer on it i think 30 strong of boyz with shootas and associated kit might actually be worth taking on Da Jump.

Even if its just shootas then the mass dakka before you charge is exactly equal to the extra attack from choppaz in terms of average wounds, you're guaranteed it even if the charge fails after, its maximum number of wounds is a lot higher and you're mitigating your own losses to overwatch.

I think Shoota Boyz on foot and Choppa Boyz if you're on a Battlewagon.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think Shoota Boyz on foot and Choppa Boyz if you're on a Battlewagon.

The 20 boy limit on the wagon is brutal, you pretty much HAVE to succeed with charging them with the battlewagon to soak overwatch, otherwise if you lose a single boy to it the plan stumbles.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Attestant posted:

I think there's some confusion over how permanent these rules are, or worries on how they reflect on the final product.

I do find it amusing how 'Nid and Ork players seem to be mostly happy, while others seem a little more likely to complain. :haw:

Probably because 'just good enough' rules are a step up for us :)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Summery of 8th Leaks from my digipals: AoS Skirmish looks really good. A must buy.

Agreed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

The 20 boy limit on the wagon is brutal, you pretty much HAVE to succeed with charging them with the battlewagon to soak overwatch, otherwise if you lose a single boy to it the plan stumbles.

The Battlewagon has twice the movement the Boyz do before charging, so with proper positioning you should be able to make a good charge.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Seriously what in the fuuuuuuuck.

In exchange now, apparently all chaos characters can attempt to summon daemons. Even khorne characters can summon khorne demons. (Everybody is better at magic than poor old Tzeentch)

It doesn't say anything about reserving points for summoning, but it only mentions power levels so I don't even know how that rule works for points play?! :shrug:

E: NM core rulebook says you do have to set aside points

You know these lists are all placeholders right

e: Like we are literally getting a new Death Guard Codex this year and we've already seen images of death guard terminators that aren't in the index

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

You know these lists are all placeholders right

e: Like we are literally getting a new Death Guard Codex this year and we've already seen images of death guard terminators that aren't in the index

I have to wait a WHOLE MONTH to get the rest of my primaris units, its an outrage that WILL NOT STAND.:argh:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hra Mormo posted:

Everything about 7th psychic powers sucked balls. Better off dead. :colbert:

also this guy gets it

gently caress 7th edition powers and gently caress geomortis

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Battlewagon has twice the movement the Boyz do before charging, so with proper positioning you should be able to make a good charge.

Continuing Ork chat. Do Kommandos not suck again? They can infiltrate and (in my quick review of the core rules) it looks like they can charge or shoot on that same turn. Am I reading that right?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If a Deathwatch squad has one Jump Pack dude in it, everyone can hold on and assault a flyer. Best edition.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Indolent Bastard posted:

Continuing Ork chat. Do Kommandos not suck again? They can infiltrate and (in my quick review of the core rules) it looks like they can charge or shoot on that same turn. Am I reading that right?

Yeah they look really reliable. Maximum of 15, but they have a really nice cover bonus.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

You're reading it right they can shoot and charge on the turn they appear, only thing special deployments like that stop you from doing is moving/running and the odds of a charge are against you.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

More leaks - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4IGo22sDo4zdEtrRmEyelg2TkU - lots of stuff here.

Skyweir
Apr 29, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

It's only referring to whole units so unless Reanimation Protocols do something entirely different than before Necrons should be safe.

Pretty sure they are safe, the reanimation protocol rules speaks specifically about models, while this rule talks about setting up new units.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Yeah, that's how it works in AoS as far as I can remember. Replenishing units up to their original size doesn't cost you anything. Creating new units uses points from your reserves allocation.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I'm painting some Thousands Sons stuff as my first 40k army and I'm a bit confused about the Rubric Marines' role from those leaked scans.

It says that all Thousand Sons Rubrics are troops instead of elites, but I can't tell if that means Rubrics always are troops (since they always have the 1k Sons keyword and the data sheet already has the Troop symbol) or if that only applies in an all 1k Sons army (which seems to be implied by the location of the Legacy of the Rubrics rule).

This might be dumb but I'm new and want to play those new Death Guard and some generic CSM with my dust boys.

Edit: whoops didn't see that the special marines have multiple data sheets never mind

Danimo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 31, 2017

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just want to stop in and say that that Space Wolf Contemptor Dread looks even better in person and was very fun to put together.

Btw, the claws for mine are rubbery and semi-flexible rather than being hard like resin usually is. Should I be concerned about that?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Skyweir posted:

Pretty sure they are safe, the reanimation protocol rules speaks specifically about models, while this rule talks about setting up new units.

Agreed but you can count on That Guys around the world to argue otherwise until it's FAQ'd.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

Agreed but you can count on That Guys around the world to argue otherwise until it's FAQ'd.

I dunno, it says unit and not model. It doesn't seem to get past a little bit of scrutiny.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
dark eldar seem bad :(

cant my spikey pain drew caries ever be good

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Don't get emotional about how stronk your miniatures are people

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Weird how the guard dont have techpriests anymore.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

Don't get emotional about how stronk your miniatures are people

I'm glad I had the leak for my army early so I could deal with that immediate visceral reaction that everything is poo poo.

Remember everyone. These rules are purely to get us by until actula codices drop.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

They're under Admech and they have the Astra Militarum keyword, you're fine to take them.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I've not gone though all the sheets yet, but did the Vendetta disappear? I see the Valkyrie in the guard but it does not have the options to turn it into the Vendetta.

It may be one of those "wait for Forgeworld" things but I thought everything that currently was in the books was going to get updated.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Crazy Ferret posted:

I've not gone though all the sheets yet, but did the Vendetta disappear? I see the Valkyrie in the guard but it does not have the options to turn it into the Vendetta.

It may be one of those "wait for Forgeworld" things but I thought everything that currently was in the books was going to get updated.

As far as I can tell it is indeed gone. Technically FW are the ones who produce the kit option for the Vendetta so it's probably in their book.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're under Admech and they have the Astra Militarum keyword, you're fine to take them.

Oh, fair enough.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I'm glad I had the leak for my army early so I could deal with that immediate visceral reaction that everything is poo poo.

Remember everyone. These rules are purely to get us by until actula codices drop.

I think I'm just going to shelve my AdMech and play AoS until the actual codex drops.

Cause god drat do they look awful.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I dunno, it says unit and not model. It doesn't seem to get past a little bit of scrutiny.

The reinforcement points section? It says anytime you create a unit or add models to an existing unit, so it's definitely going to be an issue in some games.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

my kinda ape posted:

As far as I can tell it is indeed gone. Technically FW are the ones who produce the kit option for the Vendetta so it's probably in their book.

lol that's my Guard on the shelf until the codex then, all I own is Vendettas

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The reinforcement points section? It says anytime you create a unit or add models to an existing unit, so it's definitely going to be an issue in some games.

Where does it say about adding models to an existing unit?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The unit/model distinction in full effect here.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

my kinda ape posted:

I'm at work so I'm limited in how much messing about I can do with the leaks, but is it possible to point cost them out? I know that some vehicles have a cost without gear attached so could I take a base Valkyrie and add the cost of two sets of twin-linked lascannons?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Leman russ with heavy 4 autocannon 2 damage and 3 HBs: 181

Predator with 2d3 autocannon 3 damage and 2 HBs: 171

Russ has +1 T, +1 W, -1 BS but can fire its turret on the move at full BS and the predator can't. Predator is a bit faster at least. Russ can come 3 to one HS slot, predator can't.

With power levels, the russ is 11 and the predator is 9. Maybe I'll just play PL games.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 31, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Bleh, something I just noticed in the Matched Play section - every unit in your army has to share a common Faction Keyword. i.e. no Allies in Matched Play (unless you're Chaos, Eldar or Imperium, gently caress the NPC races).

Not a major thing but means I can't use my Diggas or Waaagh Daemons alongside my Orks in Matched Play.

OTOH you only need to share a single faction keyword in each detachment, so you can mix CSM and Daemons into a Batallion or whatever.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 31, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

Leman russ with heavy 4 autocannon and 3 HBs: 181

Predator with 2d3 autocannon and 2 HBs: 171

Russ has +1 T, +1 W, -1 BS but can fire its turret on the move at full BS and the predator can't. Predator is a bit faster at least. Russ can come 3 to one HS slot, predator can't.

With power levels, the russ is 11 and the predator is 9. Maybe I'll just play PL games.

Could you take 5 minutes off from being a massive baby about Predators, thanks

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Leman russ with heavy 4 autocannon and 3 HBs: 181

Predator with 2d3 autocannon and 2 HBs: 171

How many predators were you running if losing squadrons is this much a problem? Techmarines are an HQ now theres little stopping you from just adding another detatchment for 6 heavy support slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zark the Damned posted:

Bleh, something I just noticed in the Matched Play section - every unit in your army has to share a common Faction Keyword. i.e. no Allies in Matched Play (unless you're Chaos, Eldar or Imperium, gently caress the NPC races).

Not a major thing but means I can't use my Diggas or Waaagh Daemons alongside my Orks in Matched Play.

I think it's a good change if it removes Taudar-style nonsense.

But reading over missions and extra rules, Narrative play looks like about a thousand times more fun than matched play. I suspect my group will do Narrative play mostly using matched play points costs and maaaaaybe the 3 extra guidelines.

• Locked thread