Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JBP posted:

Isn't the point of power levels to just take the fully tricked out squad and decide between melta or plasma or similar?

It is stated that Power Levels assume that the squads are taking their upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Were the nobs T4? My mistake, I thought they were T5.

Since kastelans and datasmiths are split there might not be any mixed toughness stuff.

Yep, the nob has S5 but of course you are rolling out your attacks so you can roll separately in that case. And without WS being a table, there shouldn't be weapon skill majority stuff going on now.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Zuul the Cat posted:

[Dissapointment]

This is the first time ive been legitimately disappointed in 8th. All the haywire is gone which leaves them with almost all weapons maxing out at S6, I mean bionics are neat but...

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I am so goddamn excited for Grey Knights. Teleporting in, smiting dudes, shooting them then charging sounds like an amazing time.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Am I imagining things or do leman russes explode if they roll a 1 on an overcharged plasma cannon shot?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Hencoe posted:

This is the first time ive been legitimately disappointed in 8th. All the haywire is gone which leaves them with almost all weapons maxing out at S6, I mean bionics are neat but...

I don't know about anyone else, but Tyranids have kept their Haywire equivalents with a new rule. Shockcannons and Tentaclids now roll for damage as a normal attack, but against vehicles a 4+ to wound gets a bonus mortal wound and 6+ gets D3 mortal wounds.

In related news, looks like we got a nice alternative to brainleech devourers. They're basically the same as before without twin-linked for 14pts a pair, but HTs and fexes can upgrade to uber-Deathspitters for an extra 6pts a pair giving them an extra point of strength and AP. I'm just waiting on Tyrant guard rules to surface, but I think shooty walkrants (with 9" move!) may be the future.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Am I imagining things or do leman russes explode if they roll a 1 on an overcharged plasma cannon shot?

I remember reading a fuzzy scan showing a special rule for russes where they take mortal wounds for misfiring plasma weapons instead of exploding.

Edit: it looks like this is just for the Tank Commander Russ, not the regular one :(

xtothez fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 31, 2017

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Purifiers lost their extra attack. woof :(

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I saw someone say a few pages ago that Wyches are good now

can anyone confirm this, or is it more a case that someone has extinguished the garbage fire, and they are now just hot garbage

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

AdMech Pages: Some hits some misses

While I am disappointed that they didn't make Rangers better(Precise shots on 6 with -1AP standard) its not the end of them, Sicarians are probably out the door though.

Still, we can work with a lot of this. The Transuranic Arqubuses(Can target Characters even if they are not closest unit, S7 -2AP and 1d3D) are downright DEADLY now and could really spell doom to people who don't protect their Independent Characters. Neutron Lazers are crazy strong, putting even Lascannons to shame with their punishing hits. Kataphron Breachers and Kastelan's look extremely tanky now especially with datasmiths and Dominus's healing them when they're near, and they should be most of the time. The Enginseer looks like a really neat cheap HQ, and though I don't see their stats or weapons I see we can take heavily armed Servitors now so that's a plus.

Sydonian and Ironstrider Chickenwalkers also look really good and I'm considering taking them when I start to grow from a 1000 point army to a 1500 party.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Points for Ork non Named Units and their ranged weapons. (Picture is small however) Battlewagon is 161 points by default.

Interesting, Warbikes went up by 8 points and are limited to units of 12 instead of the current 15.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

xtothez posted:

I remember reading a fuzzy scan showing a special rule for russes where they take mortal wounds for misfiring plasma weapons instead of exploding.

Edit: it looks like this is just for the Tank Commander Russ, not the regular one :(

Emergency Plasma Vents, take 6 mortal wounds and it can't fire plasma cannons for the rest of the game. The regular Leman Russ probably has the rule too it's just cut off in the picture.

Although 6 mortal wounds is still pretty fuckin' brutal. Fortunately there's that order you can give them that rerolls 1s to hit.

Tank commanders have a 3+ to hit so Vanquishers might be pretty good command tanks.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Clawtopsy posted:

I saw someone say a few pages ago that Wyches are good now

can anyone confirm this, or is it more a case that someone has extinguished the garbage fire, and they are now just hot garbage

Good might be a strong word but there's a lot of moving parts to consider here. New Power From Pain and Combat Drugs look better, they became cheaper by one point and the Succubus had a leadership ability that let wych units within 6" reroll 1s to hit I think. People are lauding the No Escape ability but it's a bit too random for my tastes. Also fun fact, No Escape also blocks the Reaver's (now garbage) Cluster Caltrops from working so no synergy there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

JBP posted:

gently caress I want to see Orks winning tournaments even though I don't care about tournaments. I just want to see some Orks getting stuck in with the boys.

I'm gonna have to paint So. Many. Boyz.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
While there seem to be quite a few improvements in 8E, there are quite a few :psyduck: decisions too.

Plasma weapon overcharging is incredibly punishing for most units, especially tanks to the point where it will very rarely be used.
Flyer -1 to hit penalties are simply ignored by flamer-type weapons, so if you can get them in range you can literally flamethrower planes to death.
Several Tyranid MCs have a single mandatory tail attack that's worse than their regular attacks, because ???

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oh my God the IG orders are amazing.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
My parents found a 5th ed starter box in the loft yesterday that not even had anything assembled, they're shipping it over today. That's a solid number of boyz to get me started, now just to learn how to paint garish camo patterns...

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Maybe I'll finally actually use the Baneblade I bought 5 years ago, back when that was still an exciting thing and not the most vanilla superheavy available

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I haven't played since 5th - what's the deal with the missing 'ard armour option on Orks? Are they a separate unit entry or are armour options not a thing anymore? All my shoota boys have plates and gobs stuck on them. My Nobs have a mix of armour types

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
We haven't really seen the full gear list yet, AFAIK.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm tentatively very interested in what I've seen for the Orks and Tyranids. At the very least it seems better than we were in 7th.

I want to field an army of Trygons and Raveners so bad, I really really hope they're viable now. I'm liking the Hive Tyrant in 8th from what I can see...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Kingfish posted:

Oh my God the IG orders are amazing.

There's apparently a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about combined squads being gone and orders being ruined or something.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Artum posted:

There's apparently a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about combined squads being gone and orders being ruined or something.

gently caress grognards they ruin everything anyway

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artum posted:

At least you're allowed to use rank fire more than once per turn!!! :colbert:

Perfect World
Jan 16, 2009

Someone leaked everything on a Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4IGo22sDo4zdEtrRmEyelg2TkU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
Oh no, windriders are now fast attack instead of troops...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

My God...

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I'm in love with veil of time, 6+ a unit within 18 gets to reroll charge and advance rolls and always strikes first.

I might actually run a librarian.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Awww damnit, they made the Deathstrike Missile real lovely now. One shot 3d6, 4+ to hit, then each hit is a mortal wound. Then you roll a d6 for each unit within 6" to and they take d3 mortal wounds on a 4+. That's like 5.25 wounds on average? What a fuckin' joke.

And it's harder to activate!

edit: It actually might be pretty good (or at least funny) for nuking expensive characters but it's garbage against weak troops lol

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 31, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Instinctive behavior is SO much less punishing in 8th than in 7th. Good for the bugs.

Bone sabers are D6 damage and Swarmlord gets 7 attacks hahahahaha

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So.... check these matched play rules

The way I read that, you need to keep reserve points for everything restored or summoned. Even Necrons will have to pay for units brought back from Reanimation Protocols.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Holy crap deathwatch are insane now. Having any terminators in a kill team makes them immune to morale, having any bikes lets the entire squad charge even if they fell back, having any vanguard vets lets the squad shoot after falling back as if they had fly.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

xtothez posted:

So.... check these matched play rules

The way I read that, you need to keep reserve points for everything restored or summoned. Even Necrons will have to pay for units brought back from Reanimation Protocols.

It's only referring to whole units so unless Reanimation Protocols do something entirely different than before Necrons should be safe.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Artum posted:

Holy crap deathwatch are insane now. Having any terminators in a kill team makes them immune to morale, having any bikes lets the entire squad charge even if they fell back, having any vanguard vets lets the squad shoot after falling back as if they had fly.

Oh gently caress yes that's cool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
KFF is useless now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Update on the miscast Carnifex I had: GW just sent me a new kit like v:)v "Sorry bro, use this."

I swear it's like I'm the only one who's having poo poo luck with their customer service.

Perfect World
Jan 16, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

It's only referring to whole units so unless Reanimation Protocols do something entirely different than before Necrons should be safe.

It does do something entirely different now. Lets say a squad of 20 necron warriors loses 10 models in the first turn. At the start of the necron player's movement phase in turn two he rolls a d6 for each lost model and on a 5+ it comes back into the squad. For any models that still remain 'dead' you leave them aside and keep rolling in successive turns. The only way to stop this is to completely wipe the unit out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Reading the full rules I don't mind the morale killing models thing so much. Guardsmen routing from battle does make sense. Tyranids only do it if outside synapse; fair. Orks only fail morale checks when lots of them have died, that makes fluffy sense. Marines get to re-roll at least. Chaos is kinda screwed?

Oh man, Icon of Flame is actually good now?!
Scarab occult sorcerers went from knowing literally every psyker ability in the loving game in 7th to knowing ONLY SMITE in 8th. Wow. I mean I can understand aspiring sorcerers only knowing smite but SCARAB OCCULT? Well, I guess its the beefed up smite at least. But no choices feels lame :(

E: Oh gently caress me ONLY DAEMONS GET TO USE TZEENTCH DISCIPLINE ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

Literally only Nurgle gets his own spells for CSM. Everybody else uses the same defaults. HOW DOES NURGLE GET BETTER MAGIC THAN TZEENTCH? :argh:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 31, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I'm really bummed GSC lost 'return to the shadows' =/

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Wait wait wait

They hosed up psyker powers for Chaos?

:siren: GAMES WORKSHOP BAD :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

KFF is useless now.

Its working on the same logic as cover as far as i can tell; they dont all get a save unless they're inside, so when the unit gets shot at you allocate all the wounds to the ones in the open and then everyone out of cover is dead so the rest have a cover save.

• Locked thread