Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Staying with the ulema!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
The tally so far:

25, TildeATH, Lord Cyrahzax, Dick Trauma, paragon1, Hitlers Gay Secret, Bloody Pom, Luhood, Archaeology Hat, Erwin the German, ThatBasqueGuy, Grizzwold, Snipee, Frionnel, Flavius Belisarius, everydayfalls, RZApublican, Aeromancia, Technowolf, Sampatrick, mcclay, Rodyle, Prince Orcus, catlord, Yvonmukluk, Mr_Autoshades.

6, Ralepozozaxe, Slaan, tunapirate, AJ_Impy, Nine of Eight, Affi.

10, GunnerJ, Talas, HiHo ChiRho, Dance Officer, Mikl, Deceitful Penguin, Yessod, Thordain, Ikasuhito, WilliamAnderson.

8, Mountaineer, Soup du Jour, Crazycryodude, Sinner Sandwich, LordGugs, Patter Song, ZearothK, Zakrelo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Al-Andalus Tujjar Alshshay have advised their elected representative, Samwyiyl al-Samivyr, to support the Taifas. Now that colonies are established in which tea can be grown from India, we must spread the tradition to the entirety of the peninsula! We will make this land a tea-drinking nation by hook or by crook!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 31, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We have gone too far. Not only do we take instruction from dhimmi 'experts', the law now considers dhimmis to be every bit as good as proper pious Andalusians. I must change my allegiance to the Ulema and hope we can reverse this disasterous trend before the Christians who could not conquer us by force take us over from within.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, has accepting those cultures meant that we can expect no further separatist revolts in those areas, or do we need to turn those captured territories into cores as well?

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Staying with the merchants

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I side with the Jizrunid Loyalists. The man has a 6 Milscore he's obviously divinely inspired.

Also: Gonna laugh when the New World is more devoutly Islamic than us in the long run.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, has accepting those cultures meant that we can expect no further separatist revolts in those areas, or do we need to turn those captured territories into cores as well?

Any provinces that were sieged by the rebels get ten more years of separatism. This increases unrest. The accepted cultures definitely reduces unrest however. They're still wrong religion, so that's a bit of unrest too. Without the numbers it's a bit hard to tell.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain Oblivious posted:

I side with the Jizrunid Loyalists. The man has a 6 Milscore he's obviously divinely inspired.

Also: Gonna laugh when the New World is more devoutly Islamic than us in the long run.

I could see some Ulamas disgruntled about all this tolerance going out to build their own 'city on a hill', for sure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean that's literally what the Puritans were doing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rodyle posted:

I mean that's literally what the Puritans were doing.

:thejoke:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can never assume anymore

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Yvonmukluk posted:

Without a tolerance of heathens bonus those provinces are likely to have at least some level of unrest.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mountaineer posted:

Without a tolerance of heathens bonus those provinces are likely to have at least some level of unrest.

I see. How do we get such a bonus? I'm guessing by sticking to League of Merchants policies, but I mean specifically.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bonuses can be pretty rare. Some occasional National Ideas and government types have them, and low piety will give us a small bonus, but the only real reliable source is Humanist Ideas. The tolerance boosters in that group are strong enough that with a single idea you can eliminate all the problems with other religions/cultures unless you actively try and dick them over to cancel it out for some reason.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How fast we stray from God, even as the Christians grow weaker by the day.

I stay with the Ulama

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
From what I remember of Wiz's Paradox Mega LPs, the various penalties for not converting the Christians now will continue in different forms well into the modern era even after we convert to Victoria II. I offered a proposal to stop the Merchants from choosing short-term profits and bandaid solutions over the long-term stability of conversion, but oh well. It's too late for the Ulama now. We are also so close to unifying all of Iberia that my urge for pretty borders translates into a firm vote for the Taifas.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

I will join the Loyalists.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Accepting cultures makes no difference on the difficulty of converting, by the way. Maybe the rule of no conversions at all unless the Ulema is dominant will be a bit too punishing in the long term, until we can at least adopt humanism.

But hey, the other option is to conquer a bunch of muslim land to balance out our demographics. Morocco is Andalusian clay!

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 31, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Look, all the other LP's just haven't had enough tolerance. We will tolerate the poo poo out of our northern subjects. With machine guns, if necessary.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Frionnel posted:

Accepting cultures makes no difference on the difficulty of converting, by the way. Maybe the rule of no conversions at all unless the Ulema is dominant will be a bit too punishing in the long term, until we can at least adopt humanism.

But hey, the other option is to conquer a bunch of muslim land to balance out our demographics. Morocco is Andalusian clay!

yes it does, since we're not in the same culture groups as the Iberians. Non-accepted cultures in a different group have a -2% reduction in conversion speed.
Not that this really matters, since Hashim has said that he's not going to convert accepted cultures at all.

Also: I'm declaring for the Loyalists

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

The negligent attitude some members of the Majlis have taken towards the Northern Christians will only bring more hardship in time. Rather than ignoring or 'accepting' the state of their souls, these people need to be saved through the teachings of the prophet. I remain with the Ulema.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

yes it does, since we're not in the same culture groups as the Iberians. Non-accepted cultures in a different group have a -2% reduction in conversion speed.

Oh well, i stand corrected then.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Time to declare my allegiance to the Jizrunid Loyalists. The Cripple Kings will continue to lead us to glory!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Fourth Meeting of the Majlis, cont'd.

26, TildeATH, Lord Cyrahzax, Dick Trauma, paragon1, Hitlers Gay Secret, Bloody Pom, Luhood, Archaeology Hat, Erwin the German, ThatBasqueGuy, Grizzwold, Snipee, Frionnel, Flavius Belisarius, everydayfalls, RZApublican, Aeromancia, Technowolf, Sampatrick, mcclay, Rodyle, Prince Orcus, catlord, Yvonmukluk, Mr_Autoshades, Samovar.

9, Ralepozozaxe, Slaan, tunapirate, AJ_Impy, Nine of Eight, Affi, The Lone Badger, Vinny Possum, Chatrapati.

11, GunnerJ, Talas, HiHo ChiRho, Dance Officer, Mikl, Deceitful Penguin, Yessod, Thordain, Ikasuhito, WilliamAnderson, Invader Zym.

12, Mountaineer, Soup du Jour, Crazycryodude, Sinner Sandwich, LordGugs, Patter Song, ZearothK, Zakrelo, Captain Oblivious, Duey, sheep-dodger, Alikchi.

The League of Merchants have fallen hard, and the New Taifas sweep into power.

---

For more information on policies, available buildings and diplomatic actions, click here.

Policy Restrictions

The New Taifas can submit two policies, the League of Merchants one, the Ulema one, and the Jizrunid Loyalists one.

The New Taifas are the dominant faction, so they will have no restrictions to their policies.

The League of Merchants are the second-largest faction, which means colonisation will be greatly decreased (only one colonist will likely be used, so money can be diverted to the Taifas' policies.) If the Merchants wish to change colonisation focus, they still need to submit a policy about it.

The Ulema are the smallest faction, so there can be no religious conversion of provinces.

---

Coalitions

Okay, so what are coalitions?

Basically a way for smaller factions to band together and force issues through the Majlis. A coalition works when two factions agree to submit a single policy. So, for example, say the Ulema submit a policy to convert a certain province to Islam, and a bunch of Jizrunid Loyalists agree to use their vote to support it. If that policy gains the most votes from both the Ulema and the Loyalists, then it will be passed.

There are no restrictions on coalition policies, no matter what factions is in power. The Ruling Faction, however, cannot form any coalitions at all.

---

Buildings

Shipyards and Weapons Manufactory have been unlocked, so they're are now available for policies. For more information on available buildings and their effects, click here.

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The New Taifas
Permitted Factions: The League of Merchants, the Ulema, the Jizrunid Loyalists.
Rivals: France, Italy
Alliances: Tunis, Palermo, Aragon.
Subjects: none
Other Pacts: none
Diplomatic slots: 3/5
Treasury: 310 gold
Current net income: 10 gold/month
---

With that, the floor is now open for policies.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
It is ti-
poo poo, just as I click reply, the new post is made. Still declaring for the

Loyalists, however, defecting away from the merchants! If only in spirit, I guess.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Proposing Olé -- Conquer Iberia first and foremost and then take back historically Muslim lands like Corsica

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lynneth posted:

It is ti-
poo poo, just as I click reply, the new post is made. Still declaring for the

It's fine, you can join a faction at any time, you just can't change until the next Majlis Meeting once you've already declared for a faction.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Olé -- Conquer Iberia first and foremost and then take back historically Muslim lands like Corsica

Indeed, it'll be so much easier to convert those heathens once they're fully exposed under the radiance of Islamic rule.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TildeATH posted:

I support this. It's time to secure Iberia. How can we spread to other lands if we can't even master our own?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Proposing the New World Diplomacy Act: Form the best possible beneficial diplomatic relationship* with one of the mainland native empires west of our island colonies. We'll need their help to deal with the rest of the native empires and then I guess the Ulema can go try to convert them, why not.

*Not a EU4 player so idk whether an alliance or a trade partnership or whatever would be the best fit for this.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

TildeATH posted:

I support this. I'm willing to bet that Corsica has already been converted back to Christianity, but I want to see us humiliate France.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, Propose the Brothers in Arm(enian)s Act. We should improve relations with the Armenians, get a royal marriage with them, ally them, and help them, whether with troops or moolah in any wars against the Crusaders of Egypt. For too long have the crusaders plagued the holy land, and now the Armenians are proving strong enough to kick them out. With our help, we cant rid the Levant and Egypt of these pests.

Also, i'm sad to say that my relative, a member of the Dhimmi, has been freed from their tomb do to our tolerance. I hope you are all happy.

AT LAST, I AM FREE!

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Proposing the Northern Colonization Effort: Our islands are a good stepping stone to change the colonization focus to the greater lands in the north. The south of the continent is too sparsely inhabited for Islam to really take root... and for people to buy our stuff. And all that with the added bonus of eventually blocking the Celts or any other European power.

Some virgin lands or florid shores await us!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I want to propose that we build a bunch of Regimental Camps and Barracks for the New Taifas' second policy, but I'm not sure where to suggest they be built/where they've already been built. Thoughts?

Also is there a limit to how many things can be built in a province?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

There's a limited number of building slots in a province, with the base value being 2 modified by terrain (extra slots for friendly terrain like farm/grasslands, fewer slots for arctic climates). Every 10 development also adds another building slot to the province.

Most of our provinces can probably fit anywhere between 2 and 4 buildings at this point in the game, because development is relatively low and the terrain throughout most of our territory is neutral or +1.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 31, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Hey Hashim, what is the diplomatic situation of the Morocco and the natives of Mexico? I feel like our second policy could be an easy war against the Maya.

Also, those new Coalition rules are interesting, i suggest the Ulama take notice of them.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 31, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Frionnel posted:

Hey Hashim, what is the diplomatic situation of the Morocco and the natives of Mexico? I feel like our second policy could be an easy war against the Maya.

Morocco is allied with Palermo and Mossi, an African power. I should add that it's not impossible to re-ally Morocco right now, if the Majlis so wishes it, it can be done with a few gifts and improved relations.

As for the New World, this is what it looks like right now:

I don't think any of them is allied to one another, but we don't have a casus belli on them yet, so it'll be very difficult to actually go to war with them.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

No CB best CB :getin:

Well, i'm not all too happy with Morocco taking land in the Caribbean, but i bet other people will want that alliance back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Frionnel posted:

No CB best CB :getin:

Well, i'm not all too happy with Morocco taking land in the Caribbean, but i bet other people will want that alliance back.

On the other hand, gently caress Morocco get out of our islands.

They've not been the best ally in the past anyway honestly.

I'm genuinely curious where we're going next in the New World. Where does the lion share of our attention go? North America or South?