Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Noxville posted:

May would not have made nearly so many mistakes because Hilary Benn or any of the other Labour right would have put her under no pressure and agreed with most of the Tory manifesto.

I'd argue that May has really gone out of her way to put herself under pressure in this situation. It was her election to lose in every sense of the phrase. And if you believe what Corbyn has been saying recently, the Labour manifesto was created democratically and on consultation and has little of his own actual opinions in it.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Arguing about other leaders and if they could have beaten May is irrelevant cos she wouldn't have called an election if Labour weren't 20% behind.

Corbyn was so bad it was good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Honestly can't recall. All I remember is Pigfucker threatening not to turn up, some suggestion of doing the old HIGNFY gag of putting a tub of lard on his podium, his eventual caving, and then Farage gobbing off about an imaginary flood of HIV infected refugees for former Communist countries, drawing gasps of horror from the audience.

He also accused the crowd of being left-wing plants that were evidence of the BBC left wing bias (despite the BBC having nothing to do with the audience selection)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rakosi posted:

I think a Hilary Benn lead Labour would have beaten May in this election, or at least polled higher that Corbyn.

Can you just imagine how insipid & uninspirational & bland the platform this election would be fought on when it was put together by Hilary Benn? Jesus.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

i'm remembering leadsom and having a little chuckle here

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rakosi posted:

That remains to be seen. A Tory government until 2020 is preferable to a Tory government until 2022.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Boris will be PM by the middle of June because that would keep us on the darkest timeline

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm not sure I'm totally on board with him replacing Thornberry, she's been on fire. There's no real angles to attack her from and she's getting great at putting tories in their place.

Rakosi posted:

Corbyn's a street fighting shark, he's hustled may like a drunk in a bar

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

He also accused the crowd of being left-wing plants that were evidence of the BBC left wing bias (despite the BBC having nothing to do with the audience selection)

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that.
I look back on those simpler, more innocent times with nostalgia.

Zephro posted:

Boris will be PM by the middle of June because that would keep us on the darkest timeline
I think that if he'd had a chance 3 or 4 years ago he'd have been a shoe-in, but his brand seems terminally hosed these days.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

I think the natural outcome of this is a National Government with BoJo as PM, Jezza as deputy PM and Theresa May being deported to the Falklands

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Spangly A posted:

I'm not sure I'm totally on board with him replacing Thornberry, she's been on fire. There's no real angles to attack her from and she's getting great at putting tories in their place.

none of that will matter as much as the terrible optics for the Tories of May being the only one too scared to show.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Rakosi posted:

I'd argue that May has really gone out of her way to put herself under pressure in this situation. It was her election to lose in every sense of the phrase. And if you believe what Corbyn has been saying recently, the Labour manifesto was created democratically and on consultation and has little of his own actual opinions in it.

it was largely written by andrew fisher, a corbyn aid with compromises made to the labour right like adding the poo poo about immigrants driving wages down and not renationalising the nhs.

the worst bits in the manifesto would be the manifesto under benn, or any other of the no hoper centrists. there would be none of the enthusiasm around it, just like there wasn't in 2015. the narrative would be entirely set and dominated by the tories again.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

It is utterly inexcusable for May not to appear on that debate stage. If you haven't at least got the courage of your convictions then you are not suitable to be PM.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

Thornberry doesn't get you this headline on the bloody Telegraph

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Macarius Wrench posted:

As an aside I hate it when people call gambling the gaming industry. That's for videogames!

It's what the industry calls itself, as 'gambling industry' has (entirely correctly) a negative stigma.

I also worked in the computer games industry which is at least only terrible to the people working in it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

VileLL posted:

i'm remembering leadsom and having a little chuckle here

Dear god could you imagine Leadsom in May's position at the moment. What was amusing about the Tory leader selection was just how identically loving toxic they all were, and that May only got the job, because she was the last one standing.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/869928690515365888

good performance from corbs tonight and labour could take the lead on the %

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dear god could you imagine Leadsom in May's position at the moment. What was amusing about the Tory leader selection was just how identically loving toxic they all were, and that May only got the job, because she was the last one standing.

I'm cracking up at the thought of Leadsom going campaigning with Ruth Davidson and making some sort of remark about how "she's a lovely woman, shame she can never be a proper mother because she's queer" or something like that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Funnily enough I first saw this clip without sound and my reaction was "Holy poo poo she's Gordon Brown-ing". With the audio it's so, so much worse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

peanut- posted:

Thornberry doesn't get you this headline on the bloody Telegraph

Best part about this is that it's premium only and the picture has her looking scared.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

thehappyprince posted:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/869928690515365888

good performance from corbs tonight and labour could take the lead on the %

lmao at UKIP's range being literally 0.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-picks-arguments-tory-strength-economy/

James O'Brien is great.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Rakosi posted:

I think a Hilary Benn lead Labour would have beaten May in this election, or at least polled higher that Corbyn.

Hilary Benn is full of poo poo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I gotta say looking at that graph seriously gently caress the SNP they've completely delivered Britain to the tories, like what the gently caress chances does labour have if the best they can ever hope for is to lose not so badly to the Tories? it's like they lost a leg to Scotland.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 31, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say looking at that graph seriously gently caress the SNP they've completely delivered Britain to the tories, like what the gently caress chances does labour have if the best they can ever hope for is to lose not so badly to the Tories?

Regardless of any posturing for the press that Corbyn or Sturgeon say regarding any coalition or agreement, if either party has the opportunity to work with the other to stop the Tories forming a government then they will.

For the SNP, it would go against their own rhetoric to let the Tories in, even if it meant somewhat legitimising the Labour party again.
For Labour/Corbyn, regardless of personal opinion on where the SNP lie as a progressive party vs. the rhetoric, they can't afford to lose a chance to enact some real left wing policies.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zephro posted:

I'm picturing Boris meeting up with Trump and the two of them laughing and slapping together. It's too perfectly nightmarish to not happen.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I did not expect to be enjoying this election so much.

Come on Corbs. Hold your poo poo together for tonight's debate. We're so close to being in with a realistic chance here.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say looking at that graph seriously gently caress the SNP they've completely delivered Britain to the tories, like what the gently caress chances does labour have if the best they can ever hope for is to lose not so badly to the Tories?

The main reason that the SNP are doing so well are that Scottish Labour are useless neoliberal wankers, plus it just so happened that the Lib Dems committed electoral seppuku at the exact same moment.

Getting ScotLab on board with the rest of the party will be one of the big tasks for Labour after this election.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say looking at that graph seriously gently caress the SNP they've completely delivered Britain to the tories, like what the gently caress chances does labour have if the best they can ever hope for is to lose not so badly to the Tories? it's like they lost a leg to Scotland.

The SNP's seats are for many (but not all!) practical purposes Labour seats.
The SNP can't afford to ever help the Tories even with a confidence and supply arrangement because it would obliterate their support in Scotland at a stroke.

Of course, their (necessary) support for Labour govt is used as a stick to beat Labour with, but more than anythig the rise of the SNP is Labour's fault for taking the Scottish vote utterly for granted for so long.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Al-Saqr posted:

Maybe England should stop overwhelmingly voting for the Tories, then.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

STRONG AND STABLE :byodood:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Jose posted:

who the gently caress even is there to replace her if they get rid?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I did not expect to be enjoying this election so much.

Come on Corbs. Hold your poo poo together for tonight's debate. We're so close to being in with a realistic chance here.

Yeah seriously when kommando told me May had seriously called an election I was mortified, now... now I'm starting to allow myself to be crushed come the end of next week.

Guav please name next month's thread "UKMT June 2017 - May's Finished"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh you motherfucker I was stretch-yawning as the page reloaded and this made me burst out laughing mid-stretch

my ribs oof

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Part of the Tory's appeal for some voters is their resistance to Scottish independence. Ironically I think a less successful SNP would lose the Tories some votes. When Corbyn says he will discuss the issue with the SNP, I do hope he is just placating dumb nationalists.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He said his intention of talking was to talk them down from the ledge, so to speak.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Oberleutnant posted:

STRONG AND STABLE :byodood:

Found you Elizabeth

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Tesseraction posted:

He said his intention of talking was to talk them down from the ledge, so to speak.

The whole point of their party is independence. That's like talking UKIP down from being racist.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Hilary Benn is full of poo poo.
I dunno, I'd love to see more of his adventurous interpretations of Christian parables to bolster his policies that are more or less the same as the Conservatives. Maybe he should even expand his readings to all of the Bible, maybe turning "thou shalt not kill" into an argument for police brutality or Jesus cleansing the temple into a policy for de-regulating financial markets.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rakosi posted:

The whole point of their party is independence. That's like talking UKIP down from being racist.

Independence doesn't have to be hard break-up. The idea of full federalisation is acceptable to many, as I recall. Little difference for the average citizen but greater self-determination in terms of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/JakeWiafe/status/869848994272362497

Jeez, are they allowed to show this kind of brutality before the watershed?

• Locked thread