Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah that's the one! I started 4-1 then went to a loving shameful 4-4. I was on bant spirits.

One of our teammates top 16'd, we were the guys in the purple Untapped Potential shirts.

They weren't packing team shirts or anything; just a handful of guys from my old hometown in Sask. The guy who made Top 4 was on G/W Tron - the other guys were on a bunch of other decks (Ad Nauseum, Robots, Cheeri-0s, something else) but I don't think anyone else broke top 16.

I'm up in Alaska now though - one of my best bros is a judge in the same group of pals and was there judging for the weekend as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So did anyone ever try to cram tons of clone effects into a deck with biovisionary? And if not, how many clone effects are there?

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 31, 2017

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

C-Euro posted:

This but unironically. Also I'm undefeated in matches vs Death's Shadow decks on Mill.

1-0 :v:

Tell me more about playing mill :unsmigghh:

I've been trying this list a bit on XMage a bit, but I really have no idea what the lands should be. I know Ryan Grande was running Darkslick Shores, but I like a fetch heavy package to maximize Hedron Crab's upside. On the other hand it gets blown out pretty hard by a Blood Moon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

xanthan posted:

So did anyone ever try to cram tons of clone effects into a deck with biovisionary? And if not, how many clone effects are there?

Yes, people have done this. If you mean, "was this deck ever competitively viable", no, it wasn't.

The number of clone effects is probably around 80, here's a search that removes a lot, but not all, of the false positives

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mikujin posted:

They weren't packing team shirts or anything; just a handful of guys from my old hometown in Sask. The guy who made Top 4 was on G/W Tron - the other guys were on a bunch of other decks (Ad Nauseum, Robots, Cheeri-0s, something else) but I don't think anyone else broke top 16.

I'm up in Alaska now though - one of my best bros is a judge in the same group of pals and was there judging for the weekend as well.

I hope it wasn't the tron player who refused to draw into top 8 with my teammate in the last round at X-1

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

I hope it wasn't the tron player who refused to draw into top 8 with my teammate in the last round at X-1

I have literally no idea. :shrug: That someone on G/W Tron made top 4 is all I really know.

E: There's two Tron lists in the Top 8 for that event, G/W Tron and Eldrazi Tron. Guess it depends on who your friend was up against.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 31, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mikujin posted:

I have literally no idea. :shrug: That someone on G/W Tron made top 4 is all I really know.

E: There's two Tron lists in the Top 8 for that event, G/W Tron and Eldrazi Tron. Guess it depends on who your friend was up against.

Yeah I don't know, I just know he was salty about it. I ran wild on r/g and g/w tron. Lost to martyr proc, deaths shadow, grixis control, and eldrazi taxes. Two due to misplays.

Every game I played against deaths shadow if I got to 4 mana I won. If I didn't, I lost.

Also played against a spicy temur prowess list.

Cool tournament, good opponents, wide open meta.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah I don't know, I just know he was salty about it. I ran wild on r/g and g/w tron. Lost to martyr proc, deaths shadow, grixis control, and eldrazi taxes. Two due to misplays.

Every game I played against deaths shadow if I got to 4 mana I won. If I didn't, I lost.

Also played against a spicy temur prowess list.

Cool tournament, good opponents, wide open meta.

That's awesome. I just know that the guys were excited to go to their first real tourney - there's not a lot out our way. I think the last big tourney in SK was a F2F 2K I took down during... RTR-THS standard? It was a hell of a good show and my mono black opponent was super salty in the finals when he kept trying to Doom Blade my Rakdos Cacklers and I - and the judges - had to remind him they were black. :smug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Tell me more about playing mill :unsmigghh:

I've been trying this list a bit on XMage a bit, but I really have no idea what the lands should be. I know Ryan Grande was running Darkslick Shores, but I like a fetch heavy package to maximize Hedron Crab's upside. On the other hand it gets blown out pretty hard by a Blood Moon.

I've been running this UB list as of late. It's not a world-beater but I've always gone .500 or better with it, partially because there's very little Tron or Primeval Titan decks in my meta so a Fatal Push with Revolt can kill just about anything I go up against. The Ashiok is a flex spot that should honestly just be another Snapcaster (especially with 4 Orbs) but I'm too cheap for that yet.

Speaking of which, Mesmeric Orb is awesome and will easily mill 10+ cards from your opponent before they realize that they need to remove it or play around it. I won a match against Merfolk recently where I hit turn 1 Profane Memento and then Orbs on turns 2, 3, and 4, which basically locked him out of attacking ever. Definitely find space for a fourth Orb, MD or SB. I also insist that you run at least some Surgicals MD, it gives you great game against combo decks. I turn 1 Surgical'd a Thopter Foundry player's Sword of the Meek one game and he literally couldn't kill me in time, it felt great.

I was running an Esper list for a while that I really liked as well, but the Path -> Trap interaction was too tough to pull off consistently and I got tired of taking 5+ damage from my manabase every game, especially when your worst matchups are aggro decks like Affinity. Plus as I said before Push gave the UB version of the deck a great 1-mana removal spell.

I do like Wall of Omens and Lingering Souls in your build but I was always hesitant to run cards that didn't mill, since you need to resolve a critical mass of mill spells to win. I have everything for your main deck besides the Walls though so I might give it a spin if I'm feeling frisky someday. I drew with a U-Tron player last time out and really missed Path that game, last time I played against U-Tron with my Esper Mill list I completely smoked them.

E: Thinking about it more, I might cut the four Walls for some MD Surgicals, Orb #4 and more Lingering Souls, the latter could be good in Mill because it's the wide aggro strategies like Affinity and Zoo that are your biggest problem, and it gives you an out to planeswalkers which you can't kill without Souls. Plus you have Visions for card draw. I might put more Ceremonious Rejections into those empty SB slots, Tron is supposedly making a comeback and you are dead to a resolved Karn or Ugin (stops stuff like Chalice too).

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 31, 2017

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

xanthan posted:

I took this to FNM once. I did OK (3-2 or 4-1)

Deck: Bant Biovisionary

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
6 Forest
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
3 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Mystery
3 Temple of Plenty

//Spells
4 fated infatuation
4 Selesnya Charm
4 Simic Charm

//Creatures
4 Artisan of Forms
4 Biovisionary
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Progenitor Mimic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Display deck statistics

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay so first you clone Biovisionary with Saheeli's Artistry and then resolve Mechanized Production–

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Mirrorweave, baby

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Not a chance.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

All cards with that particular art are fakes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The name with that art? Maybe.

A 4 mana wrath? Hell no.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

A 4 mana wrath? Hell no.

I could imagine 5BB.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

do the commander stories have any impact on the mainline stories? today's took place on rav so it feels like it might i guess

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The only plot-relevant indestructibles at the moment are the Gods, and they're already on Bolas's team.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Still doesn't deal with Gideon and vehicles anyways :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The only plot-relevant indestructibles at the moment are the Gods, and they're already on Bolas's team.

This is a damnation that hits the "new" type of regeneration, temporary indestructability. It's fake, but that's how they'll have to do it in the future.

Of course, it doesn't hit actual regeneration. The transition between the two is going to cause some neat edge cases where "old" bury effects don't hit "new" regeneration cards, and "new" bury effects don't hit "old" regeneration cards.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Needs to be an instant.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Instead of losing indestructible why not have all creatures get -X/-X, where X is their toughness? Then you don't have to worry about removing keywords.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Balon posted:

Instead of losing indestructible why not have all creatures get -X/-X, where X is their toughness? Then you don't have to worry about removing keywords.

Is X set at casting or at resolution on a card like that?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

evilweasel posted:

Is X set at casting or at resolution on a card like that?

It would depend on how it's worded.

If it's something like Toxic Deluge,

X is determined by a casting cost and thus is set at a fixed number at the time of casting.

If it's something like Electrostatic Pummeler's pump effect,

the ability checks for the value of X upon resolution.

The hypothetical -X where X = toughness card would take after the latter. Because X is only determined as the spell resolved and nobody has priority there wouldn't be any way to break the card. The hard part I'm seeing in the rules is that for any given spell or ability with an X value, that X value is typically only a single number. I don't think I've ever seen a spell where there would be a different X value for each individual creature. I think it still works within the logic of the rules, but I imagine it would never be released on MTGO!

If you wanted a simpler version you could just say X = the highest toughness among all creatures on the battlefield. Again, because X is only determined as the card resolves there's no room for shenanigans.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Or just say -100/-100.

Then in a year's time release a 101/101 creature.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Do whatever it would take to put all the creatures into the graveyard. This includes those weird boys like Blightsteel Colossus.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
2BB, Exile all Creatures

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
3BB

Each player sacrifices each creature they control.

Why get all silly with -x/-x?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

2BB, Destroy all creatures.

Let indestructible creatures not be destroyed. That's the point. That's why they replaced Wrath of God with Day of Judgment well before they started to phase out regeneration.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PJOmega posted:

3BB

Each player sacrifices each creature they control.

Why get all silly with -x/-x?

Sigarda exists and sees some sideboard, play, among other things.

Picking any fixed value also wouldn't work, because commander sees plenty of stupidly larger creatures develop on the table and real formats have combos that produce arbitrarily large creatures in normal play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Sigarda exists and sees some sideboard, play, among other things.

Picking any fixed value also wouldn't work, because commander sees plenty of stupidly larger creatures develop on the table and real formats have combos that produce arbitrarily large creatures in normal play.

2BB

Gain control and ownership of all creatures permanently. Other players may concede before this spell resolves to ignore this effect.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

card numbers
:goonsay:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
TLDR for magic story today:

- We are in the ravnican undercity, golgari central
- We learn there are some bug ppl who have been assimilated into the guild but aren't regarded highly
- Jarav's right hand man accepts an invitation from the bug people
- Flashback to the bug priest plotting with Vraska (Who has planeswalked into oblivion recently, according to Ral Zarek)
- Bug priest kills the prideful golgari guy & entourage and harvests their soul energy to open a crypt
- Some undead begin to emerge from sarcophagi within the crypt

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Elyv posted:

do the commander stories have any impact on the mainline stories? today's took place on rav so it feels like it might i guess
I think they said in last week's story team podcast that Commander sets let the team do stories that are not immediately relevant to the main storyline. On the other hand, Maro's said that they're going to revisit Ravnica a third time sooner or later, and the 2015 Commander story was also set there. It was about Teysa trying to sue the Ghost Council, which makes me feel the third Ravnica block might be about conflicts within the guilds.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

A 4 mana wrath? Hell no.

I mean, why would you hose indestructible for no reason

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

TLDR for magic story today:

- We are in the ravnican undercity, golgari central
- We learn there are some bug ppl who have been assimilated into the guild but aren't regarded highly
- Jarav's right hand man accepts an invitation from the bug people
- Flashback to the bug priest plotting with Vraska (Who has planeswalked into oblivion recently, according to Ral Zarek)
- Bug priest kills the prideful golgari guy & entourage and harvests their soul energy to open a crypt
- Some undead begin to emerge from sarcophagi within the crypt

We going back to Ravnica again? I thought the story is always about the current set?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

80s James Hetfield posted:

We going back to Ravnica again? I thought the story is always about the current set?

Yup totally. The next set is RRR, return to returned ravnica. It will feature Jace the living guildpact versus the combined guildleaders who will have a voltron mechanic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey if you're playing the Early 2000s Throwback Gauntlet on MTGO and you get Rebels, go ahead and swap out those maindeck Wax/Wanes for those inexplicably sideboarded Armageddons. Turns out Slide can never beat an Armageddon, along with most of the other decks in the Gauntlet.

We're on the board after crushing Slide twice and beating the mirror.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's the Commander 2017 story.

Edit: Which, come to think of it, implies one of the four tribes is insects? Eww, creepy crawlies.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they do random one-off stories in the downtime between sets sometimes, this does read like a teaser for a near-future Ravnica 3 though. don't think Ravnica has anything to do with this year's Commander sets since those are tribal themed.