Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

How many predators were you running if losing squadrons is this much a problem? Techmarines are an HQ now theres little stopping you from just adding another detatchment for 6 heavy support slots.

I was running a squadron of 3 plus other HS choices. I know I could run the extra HS detachment if I want to give up 2 command points, guard don't have to lose them though.

Corrode posted:

Could you take 5 minutes off from being a massive baby about Predators, thanks

Everyone in this thread is being a massive baby about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Warhammer 40000: Everyone in this thread is being a massive baby about something.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Most on point thing you've ever said mang

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

I was running a squadron of 3 plus other HS choices. I know I could run the extra HS detachment if I want to give up 2 command points, guard don't have to lose them though.

Not instead of you can just run 2 detachments of marines, your regular stuff plus a detachment of a techmarine on a bike or whatever and up to 6 heavy support with an additional command point.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Not instead of you can just run 2 detachments of marines, your regular stuff plus a detachment of a techmarine on a bike or whatever and up to 6 heavy support with an additional command point.

Yeah, that's fair. I hadn't thought of that. My 3 predators could basically be a detachment by themselves if I played a 2500 or 3000 point game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I hope they're putting out some new kits for more than just SM's here.

I'm going to need about a million boyz, and it'd be nice to have some new poses and gubbinz.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

When was the last time Ork Boyz even got an update, 4th ed?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TBF Guard have had Russ Squadrons for ages. Marines only got Pred squadrons in their last Codex.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think it's a good change if it removes Taudar-style nonsense.

But reading over missions and extra rules, Narrative play looks like about a thousand times more fun than matched play. I suspect my group will do Narrative play mostly using matched play points costs and maaaaaybe the 3 extra guidelines.

Agreed that stopping Taudar bullshit is good (having said that, making them Allies of Convenience did that), just annoying that I'll have to agree houserules with multiple opponents if I want to use my old allies as most likely the local players will be matched play or nothing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

When was the last time Ork Boyz even got an update, 4th ed?

Was 5th with black reach I think? Still entirely too drat long.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zark the Damned posted:

Agreed that stopping Taudar bullshit is good (having said that, making them Allies of Convenience did that), just annoying that I'll have to agree houserules with multiple opponents if I want to use my old allies as most likely the local players will be matched play or nothing.

Yeah it's not going to help cool fluffy ally armies like BC's Catachan with spore mines or the Ork daemons, but really I see matched play as "these are the tournament rules"

It's also kind of funny to see people suggesting that the tournament orgs will throw those rules out, when they're the ones who playtested them and likely approved them

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Was 5th with black reach I think? Still entirely too drat long.

Yeah the models are the same from AoBR.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zark the Damned posted:

TBF Guard have had Russ Squadrons for ages. Marines only got Pred squadrons in their last Codex.

The squadron thing isn't even that big because fielding 3 would be as much as 600 points. It's just not something you can do in a 1500-2000 point game while having room for mechanized infantry and such. In bigger games I could just put them in that detachment.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah it's not going to help cool fluffy ally armies like BC's Catachan with spore mines or the Ork daemons, but really I see matched play as "these are the tournament rules"

It's also kind of funny to see people suggesting that the tournament orgs will throw those rules out, when they're the ones who playtested them and likely approved them

It sucks because the GSC rules mean he actually could run the spore mines just fine, problem is still not being able to run calvin and hobbes as a thunderwolf cavalry then.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Callidus is good and cool. Having a chance to gently caress with Command Point spending should be important and helpful.

I really like all the Assassins.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah the models are the same from AoBR.

I don't think that's right. The Black Reach Orks were two-piece Sluggas, the Boyz box is multipose.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So power level wise, I have 100 points even. I haven't really looked at how new forces are organized. Can someone post the detachment pages(FoC?) again?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

It sucks because the GSC rules mean he actually could run the spore mines just fine, problem is still not being able to run calvin and hobbes as a thunderwolf cavalry then.

Yeah that's OK--he can figure out something else to run it as.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Corrode posted:

I don't think that's right. The Black Reach Orks were two-piece Sluggas, the Boyz box is multipose.

I meant the model line. If you hack off the arms and pegs from the AoBR Boyz they're compatible with the rest of the boxed sets.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I wonder if preorders on the 3rd will include new 8E kits like that Bigmar dread or if they'll limit that to the Dark Imperium box, did anything transpire on that?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

Can someone post the detachment pages(FoC?) again?

No.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Any leaks concerning Eldar yet?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Boon posted:

C'mon man, it was only posted like six times a page ago.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Ayn Marx posted:

I wonder if preorders on the 3rd will include new 8E kits like that Bigmar dread or if they'll limit that to the Dark Imperium box, did anything transpire on that?

The 3rd is Dark Imperium, the rulebook, indices, and all the terrible chotskies that come with a new edition. I'd expect the Death Guard and Primaris to come out through June and July.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Just fluff about ultramar and an unboxing video for the starter set today then.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The 3rd is Dark Imperium, the rulebook, indices, and all the terrible chotskies that come with a new edition. I'd expect the Death Guard and Primaris to come out through June and July.

More time to paint the first set of Bigmars then, thanks

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

C'mon man, it was only posted like six times a page ago.

:( I'm a bad thread reader on my phone

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I was able to get my 1850 list back down by replacing the dreadnought with a second HQ, dropping my rhinos (keeping my sternguard in a razorback), dropping 1 predator and replacing another with a cheaper vindicator, and dropping a lot of wargear like all my combi-weapons. The list feels much less potent and less mobile but we'll see how it goes. If 2000 becomes the new standard then that'll give me a little more room, might add the rhinos or dreadnought back in. It says 2500 games should be played on an 8x4 table so I don't think they intend for that to be a standard.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fuegan posted:

Where does it say about adding models to an existing unit?

My fault, shouldn't go off of things I thought I read early in the morning.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
Living Metal just straight up gives you a wound back at the start of the turn, and it's on all the single-model units instead of reanimation protocols. (except the usual suspects, bugs and the c'tan)

This owns.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

muggins posted:

I'm really bummed GSC lost 'return to the shadows' =/

Some part of me wants to be mad about this, but the Cult Ambush chart allows 2 results that will let me bring the searing light of the Ordo Esotericus Dägoneth to the unbelievers from the shadows (advance D6 then shoot & charge on a 5, move then shoot & charge on a 6). :getin: We're glassier, but also cannon-ier. Also, check the symbol beside the Broodmind Discipline. They know what they're doing with the faction.

Besides, Mawlocs will pop right up into not!combat to tie up select units, allowing my squishier Cultists to advance unmolested. GET HYPE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think Shoota Boyz were 7 points each in the previous edition, and Nobz weren't free. Also Kustom Shootas didn't exist. The big difference is that Boyz can now hurt anything, their high leadership is great, and if you have more than 20 of them then they're really nasty in assault with 3 attacks each.

4 attacks each with choppas :orks101: I think I've finally come to terms with selling off my Orks, but it'll be to a friend of mine who wants to run them, and they look to play as well as ever. What a time to be alive.

General Olloth posted:

Living Metal just straight up gives you a wound back at the start of the turn, and it's on all the single-model units instead of reanimation protocols. (except the usual suspects, bugs and the c'tan)

This owns.

Also, RP is back to its old self. I could not be happier about this edition and these rules--my only misgiving is when the actual codexes will release, but poo poo, someone made Scything Talons re-roll 1s To Hit again, so my fears feel entirely unfounded.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 31, 2017

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Haven't had a chance to read; if I want to spawn Termagants with a Tervigon, do I need to set aside the points for them?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DO IT TO IT posted:

Haven't had a chance to read; if I want to spawn Termagants with a Tervigon, do I need to set aside the points for them?

Yep.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Everyone really needs to chill out about missing faction specific options. This is Ravening Hordes 2.0, all the special chapter/chaos god related stuff will come in the in-depth battletome.

It's a cash grab, sure, but they had to release something like this to get 8th kicked off.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DO IT TO IT posted:

Spawn a new unit yes, top up an existing unit no.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Necron article just went up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/31/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-necrons/

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

The loss of Predator Squadrons is disappointing, as I liked the fluffy look of it. I might still run three of them though.

Anyway, looking at the rules for Terminators (specifically SW Terminators) is there anything stopping me from making a squad of TH/SS Terminators but making one of the guys a heavy flamer guy instead?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 31, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TKIY posted:

Everyone really needs to chill out about missing faction specific options. This is Ravening Hordes 2.0, all the special chapter/chaos god related stuff will come in the in-depth battletome.

It's a cash grab, sure, but they had to release something like this to get 8th kicked off.

Yeah they had to push something out the door. Looking forward to seeing my iron hands chapter tactics and psyker table.

Edit: Holy poo poo the contemptor is amazing now. I'm going to put it back in instead of the vindicator.

10 wounds, and until it's dropped to 5 it's 9 inch speed, BS and WS 2+. Still has a 5++.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah the Indexes are just AoS' Grand Alliance books. According to rumors we'll have battle times for Primaris, Deathguard and Admech before the end of the year.

I wonder if the way points are presented are simply because they wanted to put the data slates on the website to download and then put the matches play points behind a paywall. If that's the case we might see a more sane points presentation in the individual battletomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The new rules for a teleport homer on a terminator squad look interesting. Basically you deploy the beacon like a normal unit and then once the terminators are on the table they can all teleport back to it.

Between this, the new deepstrike rules and the new stats for storm bolters I think Tactical Terminators may actually be pretty fun now.

E: The Vindicare looks positively disgusting now :allears:

• Locked thread