Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alm is supposed* to be the only one who can defeat the Final Boss. Just FYI.

* You can use Clerics too since they apparently carried over a bug from Gaiden but well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Alm is supposed* to be the only one who can defeat the Final Boss. Just FYI.

* You can use Clerics too since they apparently carried over a bug from Gaiden but well.

What does it matter? If he keeps up his current strategy he won't even make it to the final boss.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this game isn't very hard

I just want to have fun :(

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

this game isn't very hard

I just want to have fun :(

We are trying to save you from running into a literal brick wall in the final dungeon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Alm being the only one able to kill the final boss is one thing, since even at level 1 he technically can do it. But there is literally a solo mission later in the game that you have zero chances of winning without a trained Alm.

Anyway grinding is readily available so you can just play how you want first.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Tired Moritz posted:

Are there items that increase growth rates? I haven't touched Faye/Slique/Alm/Lukas while I let the myrm crew just sweep everything.

I like seeing numbers go up.

I hope you like DLC :10bux:

E: I mean Star Shards from Astral Temple or Inner Sanctum, to be clear. You can also talk to the right NPC at the beginning​ of that DLC to put all 12 of them together with a Black Pearl to form a Star Jacinth, if you hate flaws.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 31, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

blizzardvizard posted:

Anyway grinding is readily available so you can just play how you want first.

my good man, you understand. I just want to chill and watch my dreadlords murder everyone before I stash them away and grind the other units.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that seems like a really boring way to play a video game tbh

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
So I started playing Fire Emblem with Awakening, and I've gone back to play a few of the older ones but uh...

Shadows of Valentia might be my favourite one in the series? The combat on hard is just the right amount of challenging where if I play my cards right I can get through with no deaths in all the maps, and the growths don't turn all my characters in to roided up super-monsters, or useless sacks of garbage (Awakening and Fates, respectively). I am having lots of fun with this game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just realized I had a Devil Axe in the Convoy for the whole game and never found anything to do with it.

Are you just supposed to sell it, or is it used for a quest I never found?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RandomNinja posted:

So I started playing Fire Emblem with Awakening, and I've gone back to play a few of the older ones but uh...

Shadows of Valentia might be my favourite one in the series? The combat on hard is just the right amount of challenging where if I play my cards right I can get through with no deaths in all the maps, and the growths don't turn all my characters in to roided up super-monsters, or useless sacks of garbage (Awakening and Fates, respectively). I am having lots of fun with this game.
wait, the growths in fates turn your characters into useless sacks of garbage?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

wait, the growths in fates turn your characters into useless sacks of garbage?

Maybe he tried using Rinkah.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe he tried using Rinkah.

Rinkah and Odin mostly, but when combined with the weapons available and the punishment for using higher tiers, no one character really felt good to me. SoV makes the characters feel better as the game goes on, even though the difficulty ramps up. Having 2 Killer Bows with no drawback certainly helps I suppose.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, that's just fates having actual balancing such that the game gets harder instead of easier as it goes on. it's not really about growth rates.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Endorph posted:

i mean, that's just fates having actual balancing such that the game gets harder instead of easier as it goes on. it's not really about growth rates.

I feel like the balancing wasn't that well done. A few of the maps were ridiculous to the point where it was feasible that I would have been stonewalled there if I had worse luck with a few key characters. The bridge level in Revelations comes to mind.

They may have tried to balance the game, but I don't feel the characters were balanced appropriately. That's just my opinion. Shadows of Valentia seems to be doing that better, and is much less frustrating imo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What, Chapter 23? Here's a dude doing it on 0% growth, on Lunatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06lebyRTV8

That's not to say Revelation doesn't have bad balancing - it does - but that's not because of growth rates or bad and or good luck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

prepromotes exist so that you don't get stonewalled by bad growths.

i mean, i agree that echoes's growth rates are better because low growth rates own, but echoes employs the exact same balancing mechanics as fates when it comes to growths. it gives you good to decent prepromoted units in the late game.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Alm doesn't get another healer until very late in the game so you may want to uh, consider restarting or reverting to an earlier save. I don't know how you can get through some of the Act 3 maps without a healer.

Normal reduces enemy stats in general so HP too probably.

Yeah, I lost silque because she died when there was only a couple of units left on the map, I wasn't paying close attention and skipping enemy turns and didn't notice she was gone until I saved and tried to deploy next mission. Probably going to restart for that one now that I know I don't get another healer :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

In a stunning development I'm most likely bringing Mycen along for the final dungeon because I have one empty slot and the other candidates are just not trained enough. Now that I look at him his stats aren't actually that bad. Guess I'll finally find out what he sounds like in battle.

edit:

Captainicus posted:

Yeah, I lost silque because she died when there was only a couple of units left on the map, I wasn't paying close attention and skipping enemy turns and didn't notice she was gone until I saved and tried to deploy next mission. Probably going to restart for that one now that I know I don't get another healer :v:

By the way I'm not trying to tell you how you should play or anything, but Cleric!Faye gets a very, very useful ranged heal spell that Silque doesn't get, which would make your life so much easier. But if you want to keep Faye as a Peg Knight the game's certainly still beatable.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 31, 2017

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
So today I found out that Ward Arrow doesn't stop Upheaveal. That sucks a whole lot but Leon is still a good boy who tries his hardest.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Some of the VA really knock it out of the park when it comes to line delivery for the final map.

Edit: I struggle to see the appeal of Faye as a cleric. She does get some useful spells but having two healers at the start of the game seems wasteful.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 31, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

eventually, you will not be at the start of the game anymore, and will have to deal with a lot more things, and will still only have two (at most) healers.

also valmar with the draco shield is so good. him and genny could solo the whole desert

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Every single character can kill stuff. Very few characters can provide support.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Every single character can kill stuff.

Let me introduce you to half my army friend

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Edit: I struggle to see the appeal of Faye as a cleric. She does get some useful spells but having two healers at the start of the game seems wasteful.

Cleric Faye can kill things, heal things, Rescue things, and in endgame/postgame, Refresh things.

She's a swiss-army knife of murder wrapped up in a pink ball of PTSD and obssession with Alm.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

eventually, you will not be at the start of the game anymore, and will have to deal with a lot more things, and will still only have two (at most) healers.

also valmar with the draco shield is so good. him and genny could solo the whole desert

By the point that one healer is inadequate your mages should be starting to progress into their evolved forms and thus can start healing as well.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

Yes but Faye is better at it by a huge margin because of Physic.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Like if you want to drop a healer it would be Silque, not Faye, because Physic is too good. 1 range heal is really bad when your combat units have an upwards of 9 move and Saints only have 5. But later on Silque's major contribution is being a Warpbot, and it's a very very good contribution to any battle she's in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Let me introduce you to half my army friend
Every single character can POTENTIALLY kill stuff!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

faye does way better with seraphim than silque does

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

This run my Silque didn't even get Seraphim because she's Warping too much.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess I will have to start a new campaign for Echoes and give Faye as cleric a try.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I made Faye a peg knight on my first hard playthrough and there were times that a second healer with physic would have been very much appreciated. At least you get an influx of healers later.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

blizzardvizard posted:

Like if you want to drop a healer it would be Silque, not Faye, because Physic is too good. 1 range heal is really bad when your combat units have an upwards of 9 move and Saints only have 5. But later on Silque's major contribution is being a Warpbot, and it's a very very good contribution to any battle she's in.

And if you deploy both of them, you can do Warp/Rescue shenanigans which more than justifies having two healers around.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is Delthea supposed to be this game's Nino? Because I'm feeding her kills and her first two levels were 1-statters. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is Delthea supposed to be this game's Nino? Because I'm feeding her kills and her first two levels were 1-statters. :(

She has the best non Alm-Celica growths, and don't worry about a slow start. Her base stats will make her better than the average Tobin/Kliff at that point, and she's one of your few Seraphim users that aren't the Saints. You get Mage Ring and Speed Ring to fix her problems anyway.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
She became a destroyer of worlds in my run and even better with the mage ring. Her ragnarok shaved off half a dreadfighters HP when they were becoming really loving annoying to deal with.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Delthea's lack of Excalibur and Thunder is a problem IMO, but in any case Alm sorely needs magical nukers against those Knights and Barons so she'll put in work.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i gave the woodsman on celica's path the cursed axe. was that a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How much time needs to pass for the peddler to reappear?

• Locked thread