Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

I've played Tekken exactly once in my entire life but I'm going to get this game on PC and try to learn a character who is fun to play and incredibly cool-looking (tbd).

I'll be playing with a PS4 gamepad. How does the claw grip work? One finger per face button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Go raw keyboard, that's what I'm going to try

This is how I picked my main:

Brosnan posted:

Miguel (fights with the renowned martial art of "drunk guy at a bar")

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 31, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is the bear a girl? If the bear is a girl I also am an extremely gay dude who mainly knows female characters in this game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

is the bear a girl? If the bear is a girl I also am an extremely gay dude who mainly knows female characters in this game.

No, but the panda is.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I forgot, is the panda an actual separate character or a palette swap?

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

sexpig by night posted:

I forgot, is the panda an actual separate character or a palette swap?

i think panda and kuma are the same character aside from their rage art?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that's what I think too but it's been forever.

I know exactly 1 male character then, and that knowledge is mainly just 'pin them to the wall and eat their face'

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

gently caress it, I crumbled. Going to get the PC version and get wrecked by everyone.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Go raw keyboard, that's what I'm going to try

I don't think mine can handle the simultaneous keypresses, plus I really like the d-pad on the DS4. Looking forward to figuring out how to press the rest of the buttons.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

gently caress it, I crumbled. Going to get the PC version and get wrecked by everyone.

:same:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I pre-ordered the PC version from gamesplanet because they were offering the deluxe edition in gbp for the same as the regular edition plus tax in USD. Then I forgot about it because I did that in February. Cut to me pre-ordering the regular edition on steam last month, then receiving my code from gamesplanet two weeks ago. Facepalm.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I really need a store to break street date around me :shobon:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

pissdude posted:

i think panda and kuma are the same character aside from their rage art?

nope

upon further research, yep

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dosvidanya posted:

I really need a store to break street date around me :shobon:

Yeah the only game stores I live near are like, best buy and gamestop and I'm pretty sure they won't sell it to me early.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I am finally within traveling distance of Ottawa and Montreal but the only canadian city I know that actively has shops that break street date is in Toronto and I cannot be assed to go that far

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Can someone post a character select screenshot of the final game whenever they find one? I've looked but it seems like it doesn't exist yet. Was hoping a review article somewhere would have one at least!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Trykt posted:

Can someone post a character select screenshot of the final game whenever they find one? I've looked but it seems like it doesn't exist yet. Was hoping a review article somewhere would have one at least!

Like this?

Giant Bomb has a quick look of the game if you are looking for footage

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I preordered a while ago and I'm just waiting for the game to drop. I couldn't find anyone near me that would break street date or sell it early anyway without me getting murdered over it

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like this?

This is missing Eliza who is very important because she makes the top row symmetrical

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Maximum Planck posted:

I'll be playing with a PS4 gamepad. How does the claw grip work? One finger per face button?
Nah, just your index and middle finger, index for square and X and middle for triangle and circle.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Here's to hoping PC isn't dead in a week.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like this?

Thanks! Looks like Kuma and Panda are actual separate chars, I wonder how different they actually are.

Also like, how did they decide the character order? The only thing that halfway makes sense is all the Mishimas are near the center. It doesn't really matter of course but man it's weird!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Trykt posted:

Also like, how did they decide the character order? The only thing that halfway makes sense is all the Mishimas are near the center. It doesn't really matter of course but man it's weird!

I dare you to tweet this at Harada

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Asking as someone who knows literally nothing about Tekken: what makes the top tiers in Tekken games top tier? Is it just good frames? Like, what made Bob so oppressive in Tekken 6 and why are the Mishimas so consistently good?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It looks like there's some logic behind their organization on the select screen. Paul and Law are near each other. Lars and Alisa are close. But then the rest are just like whatever who cares it's character select.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

tyblazitar posted:

Nah, just your index and middle finger, index for square and X and middle for triangle and circle.

Thanks, that seems doable.

Trykt posted:

Thanks! Looks like Kuma and Panda are actual separate chars, I wonder how different they actually are.

This overview that got posted on the last page says they have different rage arts.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

fadam posted:

Asking as someone who knows literally nothing about Tekken: what makes the top tiers in Tekken games top tier? Is it just good frames? Like, what made Bob so oppressive in Tekken 6 and why are the Mishimas so consistently good?

short answer: there's a lot that goes into it

Some characters have a ton of good buttons, or an answer to everything, or 50/50 mixups, or good evasion and punishment, or all of the above

Every character has their fine points, the tiers are pretty close in t7 if all accounts are to be believed. Top Tier in t7 appears to be because stuff like hwaorang's launching power crush or xiaoyu's aop are extremely good.

Bob in t6 had plus frame bulldogging mids and good lows in db3+4 and something else iirc.

Mishimas that have a player that can EWGF are consistently good because it's a 13 frame launcher that does good damage and has advantage on block. They all usually have pretty good buttons to go along side that but a mishima that can't EWGF is probably not going to be as scary as one who can.

Other people will have better answers than this for you hopefully but maybe this'll give you something to think about until someone posts them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a glossary for all those acronyms? I know generic fighting games ones but there seem to be like dozens of Tekken-specific ones. Even the beginner's character guide posted earlier uses stuff like "i13 CH" without explanation

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a glossary for all those acronyms? I know generic fighting games ones but there seem to be like dozens of Tekken-specific ones. Even the beginner's character guide posted earlier uses stuff like "i13 CH" without explanation

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Glossary

i13 means impacts in 13 frames and counter hits

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thanks! I was reading that list and thought it was somewhat intimidating. Then I saw that other "Tekken Jargon" page with over 200 entries and :stare:

Funny that all the tutorial and character pages are blank, though. For a game that's been out for years in arcades it feels like there should be more material up already

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Keegers posted:

Here's to hoping PC isn't dead in a week.

I honestly couldn't see that being the case. My (totally anecdotal) hunch is that the playerbase size is gonna poo poo on everything that isn't SF5.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dosvidanya posted:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/Glossary

i13 means impacts in 13 frames and counter hits

What is this nonsense just punch and throw people, and remember, side and back throws are the best and if you get caught by one it's shameful as hell.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Yodzilla posted:

What is this nonsense just punch and throw people, and remember, side and back throws are the best and if you get caught by one it's shameful as hell.

thread delivers

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thanks! I was reading that list and thought it was somewhat intimidating. Then I saw that other "Tekken Jargon" page with over 200 entries and :stare:

Funny that all the tutorial and character pages are blank, though. For a game that's been out for years in arcades it feels like there should be more material up already

I mean you';re not supposed to absorb it all at once. Take it slowly lol

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Yodzilla posted:

Why are you not spamming giant swing? You know you're playing the game wrong, right?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
A big portion of that page is stupid and unnecessary outside of staring at a movelist and wanting to know every last detail of a move's properties. No one uses abbreviations for types of hitstun or whatever, and outside of WGF you don't need to memorize abbreviations for characters you don't play.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
listen just like stand still so i can do these cool wrestling moves with king on you okay? i'll let you get some hits in on me too so we have even health after

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

KungFu Grip posted:

listen just like stand still so i can do these cool wrestling moves with king on you okay? i'll let you get some hits in on me too so we have even health after

Look brother, we'll plan this whole thing out. Work the marks make some money with the Kingster

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is there any info on how the PC version runs? I kind of want to preorder but not sure about how optimized it is and how good or bad the netcode will be.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Why are you not spamming giant swing? You know you're playing the game wrong, right?

there's a bunch of idiots who will spend $60 on this game, put the character select cursor over the giant jaguar wrestler, and then not immedately mash the confirm button, so they will never know the beauty of the giant swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

CharlestonJew posted:

there's a bunch of idiots who will spend $60 on this game, put the character select cursor over the giant jaguar wrestler, and then not immedately mash the confirm button, so they will never know the beauty of the giant swing

:hfive: