Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

They would have gotten away with it too if they hadn't tried to counterfeit an inferior product with, well, anything else

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2096300/chinese-gang-refill-empty-cans-budweiser-beer-plastic-tub
Hunan is a poo poo-tier garbage province full of insane people, so this makes sense that they would do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Well, at least they're recycling.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But is it better than real Budweiser?

Almost certainly not.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'm assuming that the US Budweiser has qualitywise nothing in common with the Czech original?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/oGdrdcr.gifv

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

This made my day; thank you.

Also I saw a poodle today with a lady's face spray-painted on its butt, that was pretty good, too.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

I'm assuming that the US Budweiser has qualitywise nothing in common with the Czech original?

US Budweiser is watered down piss in comparison

though I personally prefer Kozel

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grand Fromage posted:

You go to Little Japan to buy 30 rice cookers since the filthy inferior Japanese build things that don't break immediately. Then you load up on 50 kilos of ginseng and try to bring it as a carry-on in an enormous cardboard box.

i don't watch it much but watching Nothing to Declare and chinese people getting pulled up by australian customs for the ridiculous things they've tried to get through is really entertaining

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

US Budweiser is watered down piss

Presumably the bathtub they're using to refill the cans contains more concentrated piss than the original bud.
I like how this thread is always making GBS threads on Chinese innovation, and here you have some Chinese entrepreneurs taking a horrible product and improving on it, yet the thread still won't salute their ingenuity.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

angel opportunity posted:

A lot of the "ugly American" stereotypes are mostly where Americans skew more toward a Chinese goal of travel, but they still aren't nearly that far on the continuum. Someone like my Mom, a babyboomer who rarely traveled when she was younger, will read a book about a place and want to go there. She loves to do all the super on-rails touristy stuff, take pictures of herself standing next to the famous places while having very little interest in what people who live there actually are like or how they live their lives. She does all of that, but she also will have SOME kind of aesthetic preference for while she is there. Imagine the "instagram fantasy" of eating at a Paris sidewalk cafe where it's not too crowded and you are just relaxing. Or maybe you are in a city and you just get kind of lost in the feel of it and you have some kind of aesthetic enjoyment out of being there. I think even the ugliest American or German tourists can get into that kind of thing.

This is all such modern day self delusional bullshit to me.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I think most Chinese people legitimately don't care how crowded a place they go to is. The main reason to go to x or y place as a Chinese person is to take pictures there and tell/show other people that you were there. There is also some sense of checking off an accomplishment box in your head of "I have been to Paris and seen: Eiffel Tower, Mona Lisa."

When I took my in-laws to Disney, they were ready to go after only three hours. They had already been there and taken some photos, they didn't need to go on more than a few rides.

I don't think there is any actual sense of how fun a place is, trying out the food, looking around to see what life there is like, or anything most people would consider a goal of travel.

A lot of the "ugly American" stereotypes are mostly where Americans skew more toward a Chinese goal of travel, but they still aren't nearly that far on the continuum. Someone like my Mom, a babyboomer who rarely traveled when she was younger, will read a book about a place and want to go there. She loves to do all the super on-rails touristy stuff, take pictures of herself standing next to the famous places while having very little interest in what people who live there actually are like or how they live their lives. She does all of that, but she also will have SOME kind of aesthetic preference for while she is there. Imagine the "instagram fantasy" of eating at a Paris sidewalk cafe where it's not too crowded and you are just relaxing. Or maybe you are in a city and you just get kind of lost in the feel of it and you have some kind of aesthetic enjoyment out of being there. I think even the ugliest American or German tourists can get into that kind of thing.

For Chinese tourists I really just never see any of that. It's always just like shuffling from one location to another as fast as possible to mark off the mental checklist item. If you tell them, "There is this really cool place that not many people know about, but I live here and can show you," they will usually be completely uninterested in it because it's "not famous."

We met my wife's mentor from China in Orlando (he was at a conference) and I asked him what he wanted to eat. He shrugged and made zero effort to give me any idea. I looked at my wife and she gave me zero input. I said "How about Indian food?"

My thinking was that a lot of Americans really like Indian food and most Chinese people have never tried it, so it would be good for him to try. They both politely agreed, then we get to the restaurant and he looks at the menu and I can tell he's not excited. I ask what kind of thing he wants to eat so I can help him decide, and he says in the most retroflex Chinglish you can imagine, "How about shrimpers?"

He was in Florida, which is on the sea, so if you are on the sea, you should to eat sea foods (<--Chinese logic chain), even though Orlando is like as in-land as you can get in Florida, and not really known at all for its seafood. I got in trouble from my wife later because when he suggested "shrimpers" we should have left the Indian restaurant and gone to find a seafood one. Ignore that he gave me NOTHING when I asked originally. Also ignore that we had literally 2.5 hours total to eat and do the next thing...see below.

After that, my wife again put it on me (as the "local people" who has never lived in Orlando and who had to drive 2 hours south to go meet this guy) to "Take us to a park or something nearby, with water."

I go on google maps and find a park which ended up being a "residents only" walkway for some expensive neighborhood. I got bad looks again when we got there, but I really didn't give a poo poo because this whole situation was annoying me a lot already. It definitely looked kind of lovely, but there was a walkway, trees, and water--which is what this guy asked for basically. Again note that he wants "water," because Florida is famous for its beaches. Let's never look at a loving map in our lives and just assume all of Florida is literally on the ocean and that there couldn't possibly be parts of this peninsula that are nowhere near the sea.

We start walking around and I expect almost nothing, but after like 5 minutes we saw a full-sized alligator just right there on the walkway, and when it saw us it waddled off the walkway, jumped into the water, and swam off. My wife and I pretty much freaked out. It was cool, unexpected, and we both were thinking that this guy would get a kick out of it as someone who had never seen an alligator in person.

He barely reacted at all and didn't seem to care. He didn't try to fake enthusiasm either; he just kind of stared dully at it. He didn't even keep watching it as it swam away. I'm guessing "See alligator" isn't on the official Chinese person "Thing you must do in Florida" checklist, so it barely registered to him.

agree

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Sounds fun, AO.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/krislc/status/869836253746876416

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

We start walking around and I expect almost nothing, but after like 5 minutes we saw a full-sized alligator just right there on the walkway, and when it saw us it waddled off the walkway, jumped into the water, and swam off. My wife and I pretty much freaked out. It was cool, unexpected, and we both were thinking that this guy would get a kick out of it as someone who had never seen an alligator in person.

He barely reacted at all and didn't seem to care. He didn't try to fake enthusiasm either; he just kind of stared dully at it. He didn't even keep watching it as it swam away. I'm guessing "See alligator" isn't on the official Chinese person "Thing you must do in Florida" checklist, so it barely registered to him.

This would be the part of the story where we all hop in the car, I take him 20-30 miles down some abandoned swamp road, let him out, and drive off, leaving him to die from alligators/mosquitoes/hillbilly rape.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I don't read any chinese, but I am pretty sure that they are all variations on "don't poo poo/spit here"

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Blistex posted:

This would be the part of the story where we all hop in the car, I take him 20-30 miles down some abandoned swamp road, let him out, and drive off, leaving him to die from alligators/mosquitoes/hillbilly rape.

Jesus, man!

I mean really, drop him off at a nice farm in Immokalee for a "working vacation".

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

JaucheCharly posted:

Budweiser Budvar was the worst beer I could get at pubs when I was in the Czech republic so there's that.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I don't understand this, aren't they having to pay extra baggage fees negating any savings? Whenever I fly through India or the Middle East pretty much everyone is taking about 10 giant TVs with them.

Higher end electronics are a good 30~40% more expensive in India and due to low demand it's harder to get the latest and greatest TV sets without paying through the nose. An Indian coworker of mine visited our US office, quickly did the math, and discovered that the same TV would cost $500 to buy back home, even including the extra baggage fees.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Who is afraid of the big bad dragon? posted:

The concept of hierarchy and ranking is so solid in China that whenever a choice needs to be made about anything, the Chinese people want to know if it is top-ranked. This applies to fashion brands, restaurants, tourist spots, and of course educational institutions. When they decide which college to attend, domestic or overseas, Chinese parents and students are much more concerned about the ranking of the institution than what it actually offers or whether it suits them.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

JaucheCharly posted:

are you from like, the moon

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Prob just fishing for the usual so he can go, lol poo poo American beer.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is Koreans being bad tourists a Thing? Because I just spent some time in Manila with my girlfriend on a work trip, and I definitely noticed the way she treated service staff. Like, her brusque attitude is great when she's telling a scammer to gently caress off, but it doesn't seem to change much even when a waiter or hotel staff is being genuinely nice to us. Maybe I'm just too sheltered?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Prob just fishing for the usual so he can go, lol poo poo American beer.

Budweiser beer is #1 ranked in the US, do you know?

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is Koreans being bad tourists a Thing? Because I just spent some time in Manila with my girlfriend on a work trip, and I definitely noticed the way she treated service staff. Like, her brusque attitude is great when she's telling a scammer to gently caress off, but it doesn't seem to change much even when a waiter or hotel staff is being genuinely nice to us. Maybe I'm just too sheltered?

Maybe she just sucks

Wait, that came out wrong

I mean like, not because she's Korean, but because like she HERSELF is a lovely person

Uh hmmm...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i read an article about tourists on a cruise tour of florence eating lunch on the cathedral steps causing the mayor to hose the place down at lunch time and immediately thought of this thread. I think thats probably bad

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

TsarZiedonis posted:

Koreans are bad tourists but they aren't mean tourists, if that's what you're getting after. Korean tourists will try to scratch things off the bucket list by taking bus tours and cramming in as many 'highlights' of a city / country / countries as possible (usually within a week). They will only eat at restaurants that either serve Korean food or very carefully vetted (i.e. gave the biggest kickbacks) local restaurants. Going off the beaten path is usually not the goal. They need to be reminded that tipping is a thing since it isn't a thing in Korea for most Koreans.

In short:

for sale posted:

Maybe she just sucks

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Haier posted:

Her and her friends are wearing the same watch. I asked why they all had bought the same wrist watch. "It's our gay watch." "Your what?" "GAY WATCH. We are now all gay, and in a gay club." "You're in a gay club? Wow." "So we wear the gay watch, because anyone in the gay club wears the gay watch!"

lol, if only american gays could be so organized.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wanna see that watch

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Snowy posted:

I wanna see that watch

(Gays, please wait until you are of legal age to try to keep up with this watch.)

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

this but it says "Taco Time"

edit: like this

(because they are lesbians, you see)

ladron fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 1, 2017

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

ladron posted:

this but it says "Taco Time"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it's this watch

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Haier posted:

Her and her friends are wearing the same watch. I asked why they all had bought the same wrist watch. "It's our gay watch." "Your what?" "GAY WATCH. We are now all gay, and in a gay club." "You're in a gay club? Wow." "So we wear the gay watch, because anyone in the gay club wears the gay watch!"

if you're talking about tongzhis it has to be this watch

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7bu6I1DiMBJi5V28/giphy.mp4

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Efexeye posted:

it's this watch

Must be a minuteman.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

quote:

When they decide which college to attend, domestic or overseas, Chinese parents and students are much more concerned about the ranking of the institution than what it actually offers or whether it suits them.

This is true and endlessly frustrating.

TsarZiedonis posted:

Yeah, Koreans were known for being the worst tourists before the Chinese. Especially in SE Asia people loving hate Koreans because they treat the locals like trash. You were in the Philippines, those aren't really people so why be polite to them?

Korean pop culture is super popular all over Asia but actual Koreans are mostly hated, as much or more than the Japanese in my experience.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

TsarZiedonis posted:

Most Korean tourists I've seen overseas can be very demandypants and sort of act snotty to service workers, especially in Southeast Asia. I have heard that tour groups are especially bad in the Philippines, but this is secondhand from a Filipina friend of mine.

Maybe your girlfriend was just being brusque because she thought people might not understand her? Did you say anything to her about it?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Maybe your girlfriend was just being brusque because she thought people might not understand her? Did you say anything to her about it?

I'll put money on the fact that they were brown and thus not actually human, which is even worse than being white and not korean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I was dating someone and they were rude to service workers that would be a deal breaker, if they were rude because they were racist that would be a double deal breaker. jesus

• Locked thread