Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

little munchkin posted:

*glances at boner confessor's posts and frowns*

Most of our posts are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like "It happens so it's fine" is not a position you should take in the thread devoted to making fun of people for being egotistical internet nazis.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

boner confessor posted:

it makes him look like a big fat pansy bawwwing about the sudden realization that his decisions in life have consequences he has to deal with

That's all that this comes down too. Dude did thing without thinking, upset at result.

Should what he did qualify as a crime? Hmm, maybe. Maybe not. But that's not what y'all're arguing about.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

boner confessor posted:

lot of people struggling with understanding and accepting reality itt today

because you refused to acknowledge there's an acceptable threshold between comedy and damaging acts by supporting the "it's just a prank" defense for one youtube idiot but you did draw that line for a different youtube idiot, despite both youtube idiots filming themselves doing illegal things. in two similar cases you applied a shoddy defense to one of them but not the other, and you're relying on strange appeals to common sense to support your argument. you're saying people who don't think like you regarding teaching a dog to respond to hate speech are just humorless buzzkills but then you cross the line and join team this isn't funny when we go a bit further down the line into a man pranking his children with emotional abuse. this all indicates to me you haven't really thought at all about the things you're saying and you're just throwing big words out in a pile to justify your kneejerk emotional reactions, which is a boring thing to read since neither i nor anybody else cares about your opinion on things

Your problem is that you take the poo poo I say too literally and as you made it quite clear, your need for consistency goes against common sense. The truth is that you have to treat these scenarios differently despite them having a few similarities. Of course most jokes are hurtful in some way. But to me, it seems like you are reaching when you compare a joke that is detrimental to a kid to a video that is controversial (and quite silly) to viewers but harmless to the owner of the dog.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Midig posted:

Of course most jokes are hurtful in some way.

No, they're really not. You have a very strange concept of comedy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

Your problem is that you take the poo poo I say too literally and as you made it quite clear, your need for consistency goes against common sense. The truth is that you have to treat these scenarios differently despite them having a few similarities. Of course most jokes are hurtful in some way. But to me, it seems like you are reaching when you compare a joke that is detrimental to a kid to a video that is controversial to viewers but harmless to the owner of the dog.

i'm not talking about the joke necessarily, but when you can apply the "i'm pranking you" defense to excuse illegal or immoral behavior. screaming dad does and did explain his emotional abuse and horrific parenting by claiming he was just joking, because he is literally mentally ill and the product of childhood abuse himself. he is not a good judge of what is a prank and what is not, because to him it is normal to scream at children until they develop personality disorders. do we have to take him at face value, like nazi pug man, or are we capable of overriding their claim and pointing out that their behavior is not a joke? if as you have claimed the nazi pug man was just joking and therefore shouldn't be punished for violating hate speech laws - and you did make this exact claim, by saying we can't judge others by our own subjective criteria - then why shouldn't screaming dad's behavior be accepted as a joke instead of child abuse? is it just because you're less comfortable with child abuse than teaching a dog hate speech? if so, why do your emotions matter more than others here who feel like teaching a dog hate speech is not ok?

OwlFancier posted:

You've said something many times in very plain english but I'm not sure if it's conveying the meaning you want it to.

that's fine. you may not be sure what it means, but i am sure. please stop quoting me

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 31, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

only quoting you to let you know i've seen your post and chosen to ignore it because you have absolutely no idea what i'm arguing here despite me saying it multiple times in very plain english

You've said something many times in very plain english but I'm not sure if it's conveying the meaning you want it to.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Of course most jokes are hurtful in some way.

I love when you Kramer into the thread to defend Nazis because you wind up saying some really dumb poo poo like this.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

boner confessor posted:

:shrug: take it up with society. the reason young people do it is because it's transgressive. i dont care if someone has piercings or not, and only someone who can't read would think i've made a personal statement on the matter

it's just so absolutely simple to me, and also funny, that someone who alters their appearance on purpose to look edgy and fashionably taboo would come to regret their decisions in this manner. it makes him look like a big fat pansy bawwwing about the sudden realization that his decisions in life have consequences he has to deal with

i agree that the guy is an idiot who makes bad decisions, but you just seem very obsessed with his appearance (or proud of your very funny take on it) which doesn't really matter. i don't think you can claim to know why anybody decides to express their appearance the way they do either. you sound like a 50s dad.

maybe i just live in a place where nobody cares (very left-leaning part of the UK) but i've never had a problems in my field looking the way i do. unless you have a very public/client-facing job who the gently caress cares what you look like. getting some piercings isn't going to necessarily make you unemployable immediately.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I love when you Kramer into the thread to defend Nazis because you wind up saying some really dumb poo poo like this.

I prefer it when you try to explain why I am wrong. If you keep this up I might be able to kill you by throwing some salt.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lovechop posted:

maybe i just live in a place where nobody cares (very left-leaning part of the UK) but i've never had a problems in my field looking the way i do. unless you have a very public/client-facing job who the gently caress cares what you look like. getting some piercings isn't going to necessarily make you unemployable immediately.

damaging employment potential isn't the same as unemployable. most of the people i know with faddish piercings or superfluous holes above the neck remove them as they grow, mature, and try to set out on their careers. the only people i know who still have them are content to be approaching middle age while working in low effort low pay jobs in head shops or call centers. it's an ugly thing, but society generally has grooming standards which signal to others "i am a capable, sane human individual" and part of the appeal of ear plugs, septum piercings, or other body mods is that you get to playfully cross this line in a way which doesn't make you seem disgusting the way not bathing would, or having rotten teeth. maybe as more people age this will change but currently having unorthodox piercings on the visible portions of your face make a statement about one's acceptance of western society's rules, and this impacts your employment potential whether you like it or not

in the context of this ongoing conscious decision on the part of nazi pug man to maintain the appearance of a young adult placing himself at odds with society's norms, it is amusing to me that he would claim to be concerned about his ability to find and hold a job as a consequence of uploading videos of himself chanting hate speech at an animal

Lovechop posted:

you just seem very obsessed with his appearance (or proud of your very funny take on it)

:shrug: i'm only responding to the people who keep quoting me, i'm no more obsessed with it than you are

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

I prefer it when you try to explain why I am wrong.

I would have thought it was obvious that I was implying most jokes aren't hurtful, but once again I overestimated you.

quote:

If you keep this up I might be able to kill you by throwing some salt.

Do... do you think I'm a vampire?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I would have thought it was obvious that I was implying most jokes aren't hurtful, but once again I overestimated you.

Ok. Just explain to me what you think a hurtful joke is to see if we are on the same page. BTW I did not bring a chart. But stand-up comedians tend to bring up subjects that might offend people all the time. The word joke might have been a bit broad, but puns are out of the selection and so are jokes that are cool to share at work.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Who What Now posted:

That's also not how you kill vampires. Distract them maybe, in some traditions. But not kill them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

Ok. Just explain to me what you think a hurtful joke is to see if we are on the same page. BTW I did not bring a chart. But stand-up comedians tend to bring up subjects that might offend people all the time.

without getting into the "what is comedy" derail stand up comedians are also generally good at defusing or mitigating the offense of their humor. part of being a good comedian is saying offensive things in a way which doesn't offend people, or at least as few people as possible. that's why they are professional joke tellers instead of just people who uncomfortably repeat filthy jokes around a water cooler, since it's pretty easy for any human to come up with and verbalize an amusing statement. shock comics generally dont have much success on their career trajectory, and it's the kind of thing that can utterly destroy your career if you gently caress it up

here is an american comedian with a promising career, on a comedy stage, with a comedy microphone, delivering what people widely regarded as hate speech. his career is totally shot clean dead. why can't he claim the "i was joking" defense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 31, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Ok. Just explain to me what you think a hurtful joke is to see if we are on the same page. BTW I did not bring a chart. But stand-up comedians tend to bring up subjects that might offend people all the time. The word joke might have been a bit broad, but puns are out of the selection and so are jokes that are cool to share at work.

Well no poo poo if youre only willing to consider offensive jokes to be valid then the only valid jokes are offensive. Great job making a tautology, genius.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Or a slug?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Midig posted:

The word joke might have been a bit broad, but puns are out of the selection and so are jokes that are cool to share at work.

So....you're going to just straight up disqualify any joke that's not hurtful.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

boner confessor posted:

the only people i know who still have them are content to be approaching middle age while working in low effort low pay jobs in head shops or call centers.

this isn't true for myself, or a fair few other people i know, but i think we've got some very different experiences here so i'll agree to disagree on this one.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lovechop posted:

this isn't true for myself, or a fair few other people i know, but i think we've got some very different experiences here so i'll agree to disagree on this one.

i say this with no offense or insult implied, but if you're a young adult in your 20's you don't really have to worry about the kinds of jobs that having facial peircings would disqualify you for. but once you cross that line into your thirties you start to be very concerned about not working at the chip shop forever and maybe cleaning up your act a bit

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Slugs can't post on the internet, though. Maybe he thinks I'm a witch from Hocus Pocus?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Well no poo poo if youre only willing to consider offensive jokes to be valid then the only valid jokes are offensive. Great job making a tautology, genius.

No, I left out jokes around the water cooler because no one would engage in those conversations if they had any real choice.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Slugs can't post on the internet, though. Maybe he thinks I'm a witch from Hocus Pocus?

Slugs, indicating sliminess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

i say this with no offense or insult implied, but if you're a young adult in your 20's you don't really have to worry about the kinds of jobs that having facial peircings would disqualify you for. but once you cross that line into your thirties you start to be very concerned about not working at the chip shop forever and maybe cleaning up your act a bit

Still not doing very well on that whole "there's something wrong with people who look odd" thing bud.

Also not doing very well on the whole classism thing in general tbh.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

boner confessor posted:

just to clarify my experience, i'm almost 30 and have a senior position at a job where i'm responsible for leading a team. definitely don't work at a chip shop. do have visible piercings and tattoos but i'm very good at what i do, so it's not a problem for me. if we're talking about more unskilled work i would of course agree with you though.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

boner confessor posted:

without getting into the "what is comedy" derail stand up comedians are also generally good at defusing or mitigating the offense of their humor. part of being a good comedian is saying offensive things in a way which doesn't offend people, or at least as few people as possible. that's why they are professional joke tellers instead of just people who uncomfortably repeat filthy jokes around a water cooler, since it's pretty easy for any human to come up with and verbalize an amusing statement. shock comics generally dont have much success on their career trajectory, and it's the kind of thing that can utterly destroy your career if you gently caress it up

here is an american comedian with a promising career, on a comedy stage, with a comedy microphone, delivering what people widely regarded as hate speech. his career is totally shot clean dead. why can't he claim the "i was joking" defense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0

Well, with this example I see your point with more clarity. Even if you argue that he was joking he was being overtly racist in a way that would make anyone uncomfortable. I get it. I think a lot of other points were made with the pug and abusive dad example and we were sort of talking past each other.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 31, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Does anyone actually have the legal complaint in question?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

No, I left out jokes around the water cooler because no one would engage in those conversations if they had any real choice they are really inconvenient for my argument.

Hey, I made your post more honest. No need to thank me, it was my pleasure!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Lovechop posted:

just to clarify my experience, i'm almost 30 and have a senior position at a job where i'm responsible for leading a team. definitely don't work at a chip shop. do have visible piercings and tattoos but i'm very good at what i do, so it's not a problem for me. if we're talking about more unskilled work i would of course agree with you though.

My partner and sister-in-law both have visible tattoos, are in their 30s, and have white collar "respectable" jobs for the government/contracting. I think it depends on the field, I can't imagine going on interviews with visible tattoos.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lovechop posted:

I don't think boner is making the point right, but I see the argument as basically being: People frivolously putting themselves into an identity at odds with a large portion of society by design, only to later lament these choices and instead of fixing the cause of the problem they rail against the consequence.

In the piercing example it comes down to kids wanting to rebel against society's ideas of acceptable presentation, only to then realize that for a lot of jobs you can't look like a bad 90s comic character. And instead of just removing the piercings or accepting that it's going to cost money to remove tattoos/reconstruct body mods, they rail against people not liking their choice of aesthetics. Which, granted, might be a fine thing to push back against so it's not the best example.

But you can apply it to things like being an alt-right ( or white supremacist or Nazi) as well. These people choose to be a part of a group that seeks to offend and attack large portions of society, and then once society says "yep, enough of that then" and pushes back via getting fired, being charged with an offense, etc they just don't want the consequence.

At the same time though, the alt-right example works better because the explicit goal of their ideology in many cases is to offend. Like what the gently caress is the point of using a slur, or directly invoking Nazi imagery at a Jew person, or as they explicitly state time and again, trying to trigger snowflakes, if not to get a bad reaction from people. The consequence that they rail against here is that people do not like them, do not want to associate with them, and do not want to give them a platform to continue harassing others AND WELL NO poo poo! That was your goal!

All they really want is a small, politically impotent group that they have carte blanche permission to attack.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Hey, I made your post more honest. No need to thank me, it was my pleasure!

You think I'm being dishonest or do you personally enjoy conversations with a combination of a contrived and muffled environment?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe some people just like beards and piercings, guys.

Maybe that's a possibility, you bunch of old granddads.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Does anyone actually have the legal complaint in question?

Which one?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

My partner and sister-in-law both have visible tattoos, are in their 30s, and have white collar "respectable" jobs for the government/contracting. I think it depends on the field, I can't imagine going on interviews with visible tattoos.

There's also a difference between having visible tattoos in work attire and, well, something like this:

If you're going to go with something like that...well you're just going to have to be that much better of a candidate for a given job.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

You think I'm being dishonest or do you personally enjoy conversations with a combination of a contrived and muffled environment?

Both, actually but mostly the former. You're intentionally going out of your way to eliminate all non-offensive jokes so that you don't have to admit you can be funny without denigrating or attacking somebody. What else should I do except see that as dishonest?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

puglad. I think we've wandered into another PDP-style derail where a group of posters are arguing about something without reading about it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Both, actually but mostly the former. You're intentionally going out of your way to eliminate all non-offensive jokes so that you don't have to admit you can be funny without denigrating or attacking somebody. What else should I do except see that as dishonest?

Well, not necessarily attacking someone. But dealing with difficult subjects.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

puglad. I think we've wandered into another PDP-style derail where a group of posters are arguing about something without reading about it.

According to the Daily Mail they are looking at this as an offense under The Communications Act of 2003

Dunno which part, I'm scrolling through now to see if anything jumps out.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Has he been charged yet?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/09/nazi-pug-man-arrested-after-teaching-girlfriends-dog-to-perform/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Well, not necessarily attacking someone. But dealing with difficult subjects.

Plenty of jokes don't deal with difficult subjects, though. I see no reason why you want to exclude them other than it's inconvenient for your argument.

• Locked thread