Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Judakel posted:

"On character terms, Diana stands apart from the previous DCEU heroes by simply being not human..."

This is totally true though. Superman was born an alien, but he was raised as a human, in the human world, just like Batman. Wonder Woman was raised apart from the human world, and then retreated again until the events of BvS, so she's an outsider capable of making criticisms of the human world in a way that someone who lives within it might not be able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

This is totally true though. Superman was born an alien, but he was raised as a human, in the human world, just like Batman. Wonder Woman was raised apart from the human world, and then retreated again until the events of BvS, so she's an outsider capable of making criticisms of the human world in a way that someone who lives within it might not be able to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWTJIBGNId0

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

are you gonna quote Gorden Gekko and Tyler Durden next?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

are you gonna quote Gorden Gekko and Tyler Durden next?

If you make a dumb point and it is applicable, sure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ahaha someone actually willingly uses that kill bill bullshit as a serious response? Jeeeesus Christ.

I mean, it works as a speech in the movie because it's a parallel for the Wife's situation, but come the gently caress on, man, the only Superman that it's pertinent to is the 70's era one where he marries Jimmy to an Ape or slaps Lois for not making him a sandwich.

But I guess it's the Snyder movies that AREN'T MY SUPERMAN!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's barely even applicable to her situation it's a fictional sociopath's manipulative speech, it says more about his hosed up perspective than it does about Beatrix and certainly Superman

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I was gonna say like, Bill's words about Superman were so wise and great that he got killed right after.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

Ahaha someone actually willingly uses that kill bill bullshit as a serious response? Jeeeesus Christ.

I mean, it works as a speech in the movie because it's a parallel for the Wife's situation, but come the gently caress on, man, the only Superman that it's pertinent to is the 70's era one where he marries Jimmy to an Ape or slaps Lois for not making him a sandwich.

But I guess it's the Snyder movies that AREN'T MY SUPERMAN!

Here is how dumb your point is: Superman so clearly identifies as a Kryptonian rather than a human that even his diary is written in Kryptonian. In his most private of moments he doesn't consider himself human. Even in the animated series. He has always been Kryptonian, which is key to why he is just a much better person than all the humans around him. It isn't Kansas. It is his dad.

Guy A. Person posted:

It's barely even applicable to her situation it's a fictional sociopath's manipulative speech, it says more about his hosed up perspective than it does about Beatrix and certainly Superman

Woosh.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Judakel posted:

Here is how dumb your point is: Superman so clearly identifies as a Kryptonian rather than a human that even his diary is written in Kryptonian. In his most private of moments he doesn't consider himself human. Even in the animated series. He has always been Kryptonian, which is key to why he is just a much better person than all the humans around him. It isn't Kansas. It is his dad.

oh yeah, i remember the part in the movie where he wrote in his journal in Kryptonian, it was right after the part in the movie where lois turned into a black woman and Jimmy Olsen switched minds with a gorilla.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

oh yeah, i remember the part in the movie where he wrote in his journal in Kryptonian, it was right after the part in the movie where lois turned into a black woman and Jimmy Olsen switched minds with a gorilla.

You mean those awful movies?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So your argument is that his review of MoS is dumb because it mischaracterizes the Superman from MoS as being non-alien but he clearly is alien as evidenced by other Superman stories but not MoS which is awful anyway

So an elaborate "Not My Superman"

Why not just say that poo poo in the first place?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

So your argument is that his review of MoS is dumb because it mischaracterizes the Superman from MoS as being non-alien but he clearly is alien as evidenced by other Superman stories but not MoS which is awful anyway

So an elaborate "Not My Superman"

Why not just say that poo poo in the first place?

It isn't a review of MoS, but just a dumb article defending Zack Snyder's decisions in those two other movies and claiming WW is most definitely not a reaction to the horrible reception of those two films because Diana isn't even human so you see it is totally normal to shift and WW is in no way "better" or anything.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Judakel posted:

You mean those awful movies?

that is literally what we are talking about. this isn't BSS, that article is specifically about Zack Snyder's two Superman movies, why would I give half a poo poo what happened in one issue of a comic book?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DC Murderverse posted:

that is literally what we are talking about. this isn't BSS, that article is specifically about Zack Snyder's two Superman movies, why would I give half a poo poo what happened in one issue of a comic book?

Because that writer's point is that wonder woman is different because she isn't human. Follow the thread.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Judakel posted:

Because that writer's point is that wonder woman is different because she isn't human. Follow the thread.

I never meant for the discussion to go to WW from that writer's article - I merely wanted to point out what made MoS so divisive, but their point was that she was raised as an outsider. Clark discovers his alien heritage and views it through a modern human point of view while WW views the world through her alien (a thousand year old retro fantasy god-world) pov. And Batman is just psychotic so who knows what the gently caress he thinks.

And literally everything you've written misses the point, it's quite weird. :crossarms:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Judakel posted:

Woosh.

Pretty sure you'd be able to find an issue or three where you can make the exact opposite argument. It's weird that you get so abrasive because some guy's point is clearly invalidated by two examples from over 75 years of publication history.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure you'd be able to find an issue or three where you can make the exact opposite argument. It's weird that you get so abrasive because some guy's point is clearly invalidated by two examples from over 75 years of publication history.

Yeah, say virtually every issue written since 1986.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

I never meant for the discussion to go to WW from that writer's article - I merely wanted to point out what made MoS so divisive, but their point was that she was raised as an outsider. Clark discovers his alien heritage and views it through a modern human point of view while WW views the world through her alien (a thousand year old retro fantasy god-world) pov. And Batman is just psychotic so who knows what the gently caress he thinks.

And literally everything you've written misses the point, it's quite weird. :crossarms:

I didn't miss your point. I think the rest of the article shows just how sad that entire school of reasoning is, though.

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe, but I seriously doubt those two examples are the only ones. In fact, I would be willing to bet that things which run counter to those 2 examples are in the small minority compared to things which support those 2 examples.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 31, 2017

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
So was Leonardo Da Vinci secretly a mirror beast from the Opposite Dimension because his journals and diaries were written backwards?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ungulateman posted:

So was Leonardo Da Vinci secretly a mirror beast from the Opposite Dimension because his journals and diaries were written backwards?

Have you seen Twin Peaks?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/30/15675084/review-wonder-woman

Polygon posted:

Wonder Woman is a film about the horrors of war, taking place as the German war machine is on its last legs and armistice is on the cusp of being drawn. The setting of World War I seems strange for the character at first. The Great War predates her creation as a historical event — predates the superhero genre itself by decades.

But it becomes clear over the course of the movie why this story simply could not be told about World War II. Jenkins uses Steve Trevor and his band of misfit operatives to drive home the particular horror of the first world war — that a conflict of its scale, brutality and unflinching endurance had no precedent in its time.

Diana is looking for a simple solution: Find the bad guy, stop them, save the world. And given that we’re following a movie that presupposes the existence of the Greek gods, we could be forgiven for believing her. But Wonder Woman has more to say than pinning a complicated historical conflict on a fictional supernatural force.

Previous DCEU movies have tried to use a cynical view of humanity’s complexity but ultimately failed to have any of it within their own characters. Wonder Woman grapples with the conflict between the allure of the simple solution and the complication of the real world explicitly, and how it does so — through character and theme — is something the rest of the franchise should be taking notes on.
Hmm.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'd rather die in trench warfare than read an article from polygon.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

quote:

Diana stands apart from the previous DCEU heroes by simply being not human, and not ‘of’ the modern world.
The quote already includes an additional point obviously distinguishing Diana from Clark Kent if you're not super disingenuous about it.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Drifter posted:

I'd rather die in trench warfare than read an article from polygon.

Having just watched the movie, I reckon dying in trench warfare might be preferable to watching the film as well

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Judakel posted:

Maybe, but I seriously doubt those two examples are the only ones. In fact, I would be willing to bet that things which run counter to those 2 examples are in the small minority compared to things which support those 2 examples.

If you want to make the point that Superman is a callous sociopath an alien the Golden Age will yield plenty evidence, I guess. On the other hand, every single character from that era seems alien today.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Superman isn't an alien, he is a robot programmed to obey. He spends all his time doing what his dead fathers want, what zod wants, what Louis wants, what the government wants. He asks his mother for instructions and she said he should do what he wants, so he flew off and bowed to Lex.

He just didn't do what the audience wanted.

Anyways, is Wonder Woman an agent of free will?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Goffer posted:

Superman isn't an alien, he is a robot programmed to obey. He spends all his time doing what his dead fathers want, what zod wants, what Louis wants, what the government wants. He asks his mother for instructions and she said he should do what he wants, so he flew off and bowed to Lex.

Makes sense, in Superman IV: Quest for Peace Superman ends the nuclear arms race because a kid from Bumfuck, Idaho asked him to. He's like the Chief from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, you just have to approach him about ending world hunger and it's done.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/30/15675084/review-wonder-woman

But Wonder Woman has more to say than pinning a complicated historical conflict on a fictional supernatural force.

Hmm.

What movie did they watch because this is exactly what happens lmao

Edit: reading that review I wish I saw the movie they did where it actually engages with the setting in any meaningful way.

Ghosthotel fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 31, 2017

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Ghosthotel posted:

What movie did they watch because this is exactly what happens lmao

Edit: reading that review I wish I saw the movie they did where it actually engages with the setting in any meaningful way.

Seriously. I read the polygon review before I saw it, and afterwards I was just unsure how they wrote that piece. I guess if it was the only piece of WWI media you'd ever seen?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mT46UlOC6k

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ungulateman posted:

That isn't relevant.

Grendels Dad posted:

If you want to make the point that Superman is a callous sociopath an alien the Golden Age will yield plenty evidence, I guess. On the other hand, every single character from that era seems alien today.

Nah, callous sociopath is Snyder's bag.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 31, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
If saving the world makes you a sociopath, sure.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So Judakel are you planning to see the movie?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Scylo posted:

Seriously. I read the polygon review before I saw it, and afterwards I was just unsure how they wrote that piece. I guess if it was the only piece of WWI media you'd ever seen?

When was the last time The World At War was broadcast on TV? It may well be.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/869965802455355403

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
"It's her time."

I can remember another woman recently who tried to campaign with basically that slogan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wonder Woman's poster game has been real solid. So many great ones.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Drifter posted:

"It's her time."

I can remember another woman recently who tried to campaign with basically that slogan.

Does the villain grab Wonder Woman by the pussy as well?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Scylo posted:

There's not a huge amount of WW1 media. I mean, currently, there's a computer game, which boils down a hellish conflict into "Throw grenades at zeppelins while you're on a horse" and there's a few horror movies set in the trenches, but with the war being as awful and pointless as it was, and having a bigger budget sequel, it doesn't lend itself to popular media very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

There's not a huge amount of WW1 media. I mean, currently, there's a computer game, which boils down a hellish conflict into "Throw grenades at zeppelins while you're on a horse" and there's a few horror movies set in the trenches, but with the war being as awful and pointless as it was, and having a bigger budget sequel, it doesn't lend itself to popular media very well.

Verdun is much more of a simulator and is actually on sale this week! Sadly no Wonder Woman DLC has been confirmed, but you can lob mustard gas at your enemies!

• Locked thread