Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bandsaw. You use a bandsaw for bio-deconstruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm the apparently blood-splotched carpet square in the nook on the right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but the rest of the world didn't have a hundred years of inertia. They had thousands of years of inertia.

Not really. Measurements weren't standardized until just a couple of hundred years ago (and in most cases, less than a hundred years ago). Even countries that used the same term for a measurement for centuries did not have accurate and universally-applied standards for those measures.

And for sure the entire rest of the world has not been using a single system for thousands or even hundreds of years.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SoundMonkey posted:

people talking about plastic are the worst for this. "yeah i'm gonna use 6mm" "i really doubt that"

That explains the laminating stuff back when I used to work in the copy shop of an OfficeMax. It was all 3 mil or 5 mil, and it definitely wasn't 3 or 5 mm.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but the rest of the world didn't have a hundred years of inertia. They had thousands of years of inertia.

I think you underestimate the sheer weight of American inertia. Please note how much of the American South is still, well, The South.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

I think you underestimate the sheer weight of American inertia.

Oh yeah I forgot how immensely fat they are :doh:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Americans also tend to stockpile ammunition, so that's a lot of additional lead to use as ballast.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/869224678384050176

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh yeah I forgot how immensely fat they are :doh:

I'd like to reply indignantly, but I really can't.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Too bad if you want to take a shower. Or ever get away from that reek you just created. Or sleep dry. Or, you know, live like a human in a first world nation.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Friendly reminder that horses are measured in hand-widths. Except a 'hand' is standardized as like 4 inches. Why not just measure them in inches, or feet? Who knows.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

suuma posted:

Friendly reminder that horses are measured in hand-widths. Except a 'hand' is standardized as like 4 inches. Why not just measure them in inches, or feet? Who knows.

I did a bit of Binging and around here they are measured in cm.

e: Or m or mm or dm it doesn't matter of course.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Darchangel posted:

Too bad if you want to take a shower. Or ever get away from that reek you just created. Or sleep dry. Or, you know, live like a human in a first world nation.

The ad DOES say "Water is included"

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Push ons suck.

Lever Nuts are GOD

From a couple pages ago, but this is the truth and the light.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I don't think you fully appreciate how cheap $450 a month is in Berkeley, CA.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

If I didn't have a life and responsibilities, I would kinda want to take this up and then be the worst tenant by complaining about the actual, you know, circumstances of this "loft".

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I've lived in a lot of places but I guess I've never lived in a literal shithole before.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bed, bath and nothing beyond.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm trying to imagine the look you'd get, bringing a bar-find home.

She'd have to be drunk enough to ignore the fact that you live in a bathroom, yet sober enough to make it up the ladder.

That's a fine loving line.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

She'd have to be drunk enough to ignore the fact that you live in a bathroom, yet sober enough to make it up the ladder.

Like you aren't luring her up with promises of a sweet hot tub to begin with.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

suuma posted:

A "foot" is standardized as 12 inches, so why is a "hand" weird?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MrYenko posted:

You can both just puke it out before climbing up.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Arachnamus posted:

A "foot" is standardized as 12 inches, so why is a "hand" weird?

Just because it's only used for horses. Kind of like how it's the only time furlongs are used these days, too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is that a load bearing bookshelf?

Things are going to get interesting when all the wood touching the floor starts to rot from the constant damp.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can see the top of the corner post, and it doesn't look like those white shelves are as deep, so it's probably supported.

As for the rapid deterioration of the wood due to damp, I imagine that's what the poor bastard's security deposit will be used for.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think you fully appreciate how cheap $450 a month is in Berkeley, CA.

2 BR for $2600? A deal! Grab it!

I can afford my apartment only because of rent control.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-rent-in-berkeley-rent-trends/

quote:

As of April 2017, average apartment rent within the city of of Berkeley, CA is $3200.
One bedroom apartments in Berkeley rent for $2539 a month on average and two bedroom apartment rents average $3644.

A 2br for $2600 would probably get around two hundred applicants on the first day.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My next-door neighbor is goon and carpenter RivuletsofGlop, employed by a developer that rehabs & flips repo homes in south Jersey.

Last week while working on a deck, he found this GFCI in a weather enclosure, attached to the rear elevation of the house.

It was still working. The indicator light was still lit...although he didn't try to actually test or use it.

We're trying to ID the manufacturer so that we can send them a testimonial.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's wrong with 6mm plastic?
6 millimeteres thick (~ 1/4 inch), while an awesome vapour barrier, would be really hard to install and would probably cost more than :20bux: a roll. Whereas 6 thousandths of an inch (>1/100 inch) is quite acceptable: http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/c/mil-Poly-Sheeting-sft-per-roll-Dream-Home-POL/10008736.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Explosionface posted:

Just because it's only used for horses. Kind of like how it's the only time furlongs are used these days, too.

Simple solution: Don't try to apply logic to horse people. They're all insane.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

wolrah posted:

Simple solution: Don't try to apply logic to horse people. They're all insane.

I think it's also that hobbies specifically built around outmoded activities tend to throw in a whole lot of incidental oldtimeyness just because that's what their into. The stupid units are part of the affectation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think the landlord isn't thinking this through. Put a water mattress in the tub, rent to two tenants. They can still use the tub, just drain the mattress and refill after since water is included.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
My next door renter neighbors just dug a large hole, lined it with a blue tarp, filled it with water and put rocks around it. It looks about as bad as you could imagine. I guess they have no idea what Mosquitoes are. Once they ran out of rocks for the "water feature" they decided to bust up the concrete downspout extensions that are intended to direct rainwater away from the foundation and used them as ersatz redneck pond rocks.
I'm thinking about mounting a directional loudspeaker outside that plays dueling banjos on an infinite loop aimed at their yard at a low volume.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 31, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MullardEL34 posted:

I'm thinking about mounting a directional loudspeaker outside that plays dueling banjos on an infinite loop aimed at their yard at a low volume.
You want several non-directional ones, hidden around their garden so it's harder to identify where it's coming from.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MullardEL34 posted:

My next door renter neighbors just dug a large hole, lined it with a blue tarp, filled it with water and put rocks around it. It looks about as bad as you could imagine. I guess they have no idea what Mosquitoes are. Once they ran out of rocks for the "water feature" they decided to bust up the concrete downspout extensions that are intended to direct rainwater away from the foundation and used them as ersatz redneck pond rocks.

i halfassed up a little pond at my old rental place. i hate pond liner, i think it looks like poo poo, so i went googling. turns out bentonite clay, aka loving walmart cat litter, makes an excellent pond liner when prepared properly

in other news, i was digging the trench to my shed to run power to it, and the gas line was in fact buried at 10", not 24" as specified on the drawings the gas company sent me when i got the dig permit. that's one loving spade thrust and you're hitting gas line. the gas company said "the ground may have shifted."

this is why i was using small hand tools only within 2' of where i figured the line was

it's hard to see in the picture but there's more than a foot of air under where that line runs to where they said it ran

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

They guy replastering my kitchen ceiling just tripped the RCD so I guess we'll have some fun figuring out what caused that when the electrician comes round to re-fit the lights.

Hasn't tripped again after resetting so it *probably* isn't a nail through a wire but if it wasn't that then who knows!

Edit: they even re-routed the wires so that they were actually run through the joists rather then hanging off the bottom of them specifically to avoid this sort of thing so gently caress knows what they did. Hopefully just jiggled the copper pipes running under the floor above and upset the RCD somehow....

Edit 2: turned out he left his radio out in the rain or something then let it dry out and it was probably shorting when he knocked it!

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 31, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

it's hard to see in the picture but there's more than a foot of air under where that line runs to where they said it ran

Just had my line moved. Rules state 375mm below private ground. It was directly under a 30mm concrete slab. How we missed it with the digger needle I don't know.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MullardEL34 posted:

My next door renter neighbors just dug a large hole, lined it with a blue tarp, filled it with water and put rocks around it. It looks about as bad as you could imagine. I guess they have no idea what Mosquitoes are.
Toss a piece of a mosquito dunk in there once a month, and there won't be any mosquitoes. It just stops the larvae, it won't hurt other insects or animals who drink from it or anything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did this get posted already? saw it over in the BWM thread

http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

bought a crackhouse, interior unseen by wife until purchase was completed

cheaped out on contractor, burned through 100k on his mistakes

gets bailed out by rich family member giving them a loan when no banks would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BraveUlysses posted:

did this get posted already? saw it over in the BWM thread

http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

bought a crackhouse, interior unseen by wife until purchase was completed

cheaped out on contractor, burned through 100k on his mistakes

gets bailed out by rich family member giving them a loan when no banks would

To be completely fair, the end result is beautiful. Just really the most retarded route to get there.