Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

"Is no one watching this?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Bhaal posted:

Good lord the amount of insecurity they have is mesmerizing.

Why not just make a statement like: "The president obviously meant 'coverage' and had more to write but, as we've all experienced, he had a little fumble with the phone after being interrupted because of (afghanistan news, or really any excuse they care to make up that's more important than loving shitposting on twitter) and was occupied by that for a while before he could find time to go back and realize the erroneous tweet was actually sent out"

How hard is that?

In these people's minds backing down from a position or admitting you might have made a mistake is seen as being a beta male cuck.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bhaal posted:

Why not just make a statement like: "The president obviously meant 'coverage' and had more to write but, as we've all experienced, he had a little fumble with the phone after being interrupted because of (afghanistan news, or really any excuse they care to make up that's more important than loving shitposting on twitter) and was occupied by that for a while before he could find time to go back and realize the erroneous tweet was actually sent out"

How hard is that?

It's admitting fallibility, which they don't do.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RottenK posted:

Chris Cillizza should be guillotined.

However did you manage to know exactly who I was thinking about when I said that the worst offenders haven't owned their fuckup?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

spicer confirmed trump will be tweeting about comey tonight

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/869990880245039104

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Every morning Sean Spicer wakes up on a desert island surrounded by burning wreckage, cobbles together a raft, and rows back home, knowing full well he's only a few hours away from waking up on that god forsaken beach again.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Piell posted:

PBS link, was having technical difficulties
Golden State Times, plays music while you wait

The PBS stream says it starts in 12 minutes but don't take that for certain.

>Hillary Clinton Confirmes She is an ALCOHOLIC: She Drinks Wine to Cope With ELECTION LOSS!!!!
The title of one of the latest uploads of Golden State Times channel. I wouldn't want to give them views.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RottenK posted:

Chris Cillizza should be guillotined.

He deserves worse. He should be forced to serve as Trump's press secretary, damned to defend the golden shower of stupidity.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Bhaal posted:

Why not just make a statement like: "The president obviously meant 'coverage' and had more to write but, as we've all experienced, he had a little fumble...
I think the answer is stupidly simple. Trump can not ever admit he made a mistake, no matter how big or how utterly insignificant. A sane person would just say "Oops, I far fingered a key there" and that would be the end. Trump absolutely can not admit ANY error, and is probably demanding that his staff waste a day coming up with an explanation that makes it look intentional. If Spicer came out and said "oh yeah, that was just a typo, we all do it sometimes" his boss would probably go apeshit.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Radish posted:

They've gone all in on authoritarianism and you can't ever be wrong or people start to question why you should have unlimited power.

There is something poetic in seeing the American cult's reverence for their god-orange escalate over a twitter typo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fart City posted:

Every morning Sean Spicer wakes up on a desert island surrounded by burning wreckage, cobbles together a raft, and rows back home, knowing full well he's only a few hours away from waking up on that god forsaken beach again.

This is a beautiful metaphor, I just wanted to say.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Trump's personal lawyer handling questions about investigations into other people is basically confirmation that Trump is actually involved.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Robot Hobo posted:

I think the answer is stupidly simple. Trump can not ever admit he made a mistake, no matter how big or how utterly insignificant. A sane person would just say "Oops, I far fingered a key there" and that would be the end. Trump absolutely can not admit ANY error, and is probably demanding that his staff waste a day coming up with an explanation that makes it look intentional. If Spicer came out and said "oh yeah, that was just a typo, we all do it sometimes" his boss would probably go apeshit.

And while we see that as a massive character flaw, around 40% of the country thinks it shows he's a strong leader.

Everything is terrible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Trump's personal lawyer handling questions about investigations into other people is basically confirmation that Trump is actually involved.

Or that he was talked into it by said lawyer who wants to keep him from saying something dumb that implicates him.

If I was Trump I would have only been using lawyers to talk about this poo poo from the jump, even if I was 100% innocent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fart Amplifier posted:

nah, this is just good sense

which is why he won't actually let the lawyer handle it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Isn't his lawyer part of the investigations as well now?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

LaserShark posted:

And while we see that as a massive character flaw, around 40% of the country thinks it shows he's a strong leader.

Everything is terrible.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh that many don't ACTIVELY think he's a strong leader. I think you're really missing how much soft support Trump has. The number who think that never admitting a mistake is a sign of strength is like 20-25%.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fart Amplifier posted:

That's quite the stretch... innocent people get lawyers... like as a right.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Dexo posted:

Or that he was talked into it by said lawyer who wants to keep him from saying something dumb that implicates him.

If I was Trump I would have only been using lawyers to talk about this poo poo from the jump, even if I was 100% innocent.

Sure but you wouldn't use your personal lawyer, would you? Like if you're a CEO and your CFO is being charged with a crime, the CEO's personal lawyer wouldn't have anything to do with it. Admittedly I know nothing about this and maybe this is normal.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Boon posted:

Just saying Hillary didn't have one for Benghazi.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jaxyon posted:

Or they do realize because it gives them reason to mistreat the press and they figure that plays with the base, per Gianforte

I could be wrong but I sincerely doubt that the GOP at large or Trump Administration is going to start taking lessons from the guy who lost 15 pts on their November numbers even without his literal assault that will plague his entire term having enough time to affect most of the votes.

The simpler answer is that Sean Spicer has been picking fights with the press pool since DAY 1 and they simply don't want to answer questions and never have. And they never, ever do even the bare minimum of thought about the consequences of their actions or the mess it will create for them later. Like when they turn a stupid typo memo into a longer story by giving an absurd non-answer to it that makes it seem like the President can't admit he's human.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chilichimp posted:

The GOP really knows how to beat off a horse.

Wait, that's not right.... how does that go... oh well, looks right. :shrug:

Mister, can you please help my meme

It's down in the dirt won't you help it

I think its it's lung

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Boon posted:

Only if you're the subject of a criminal investigation. Otherwise they do not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have no proof of it but regardless of what's happening in her life I feel confident saying Hillary Clinton has a lawyer.

We'd all have one if we could afford it just to keep us from loving up. They could read all those terms we always agree to but never read.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willo567 posted:

Different lawyer.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Mister, can you please help my meme

It's down in the dirt won't you help it

I think its it's lung

Mother said the meme was head honcho with the ladies.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Willo567 posted:

Different lawyer. Marc Kasowitz is the lawyer in the Russia investigation, Michael Cohen is the lawyer who is a subject of the investigation.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Finally someone beat some sense into this buffoon.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

STAC Goat posted:

I could be wrong but I sincerely doubt that the GOP at large or Trump Administration is going to start taking lessons from the guy who lost 15 pts on their November numbers even without his literal assault that will plague his entire term having enough time to affect most of the votes.

The simpler answer is that Sean Spicer has been picking fights with the press pool since DAY 1 and they simply don't want to answer questions and never have. And they never, ever do even the bare minimum of thought about the consequences of their actions or the mess it will create for them later. Like when they turn a stupid typo memo into a longer story by giving an absurd non-answer to it that makes it seem like the President can't admit he's human.

What's the dumbest possible hot-take you could get from the Montana election?

Remember this is the Trump admin

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boon posted:

Those lawyers are appointed by a court.

There's little good reason for the president"s personally hired attorney to answer questions about investigations into other people. Either he's representing them too in which case there is a potential conflict of interest or he isn't in which case he's throwing those other folks under the bus and they should get their own attorneys.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Sure but you wouldn't use your personal lawyer, would you? Like if you're a CEO and your CFO is being charged with a crime, the CEO's personal lawyer wouldn't have anything to do with it. Admittedly I know nothing about this and maybe this is normal.

I can only speak for me, but yes. I was taught from an early age to lawyer the gently caress up asap and don't say poo poo.

When it comes to any lawsuit I would direct any and all inquiries made to me to my lawyer. And Let my Lawyer say whatever needs to be said.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Democrats should reach out by beating the poo poo out of Montanans as is their local custom.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jaxyon posted:

The Trump Administration does enough stupid and horrific stuff on its own that I don't feel compelled to dream up now ways for them to be bad when the old explanations still fit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those lawyers are appointed by a court.

There's little good reason for the president"s personally hired attorney to answer questions about investigations into other people. Either he's representing them too in which case there is a potential conflict of interest or he isn't in which case he's throwing those other folks under the bus and they should get their own attorneys.

It's an investigation into his campaign. Even if he is factually innocent and is not a target, his lawyer should be doing the talking.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Jaxyon posted:

The victories in Montana and Kansas are a sign that the AHCA should go full steam ahead, unchanged. It's also further confirmation that firing Comey was right. Also, don't body slam reporters. *wink*

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
You should hire lawyers for everything you do and also always pay them on time and don't try to haggle over the bill

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Zil posted:

Just saying Hillary didn't have one for Benghazi.

Hillary is literally a graduate of Yale Law. And has been a career politician.

She's likely competent enough in matters involving talking about cases to deal with basic inquiries and questions on her own.

Trump, hell your average person is not.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dexo posted:

Hillary is literally a graduate of Yale Law. And has been a career politician.

She's likely competent enough in matters involving talking about cases to deal with basic inquiries and questions on her own.

Trump is not.

It's not like Yale Law School is the best in the country.
-Ted Cruz

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

evilweasel posted:

It's an investigation into his campaign. Even if he is factually innocent and is not a target, his lawyer should be doing the talking.

He's not smart enough to back off and let the lawyer do it, though, because he's convinced he can just clear this up himself with his amazing persuasive abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

Ok, good point. If it were up to me, I'd still suggest that an attorney for the campaign should be speaking for the campaign, and everyone else should get their own independent attorneys.

• Locked thread