Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

EvilJoven posted:

Mulcair could have won a majority if he hadn't morphed from Angry Tom to Creepy Overly Agreeable Centrist Tom between when the writ was dropped and the vote was cast, while we all watched in horror.

Dips gonna Dip, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Mulcair was a much stronger leader than freaking Stephane Dion, christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOXqGHvp8MI

this compared to yesterday's Horgan/Weaver presser, my god

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

Scheer isn't a bad choice

He's a social conservative therefore a literal piece of poo poo therefore yes he was a bad choice.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Anyone know of any good resources on how multi-member districts would be formed under a PR system? It seems like it would especially prone to good ol' Yankee gerrymandering.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

And yet neither were good choices.

Who did or would you have voted for then? Brian Topp? Nathan Cullen? Peggy Nash? Niki Ashton?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how is everyone feeling about that minimum wage increase in Ontario? My Facebook collection of regressive Renfrew county morons has been having a field day screaming about economic doom. Because naturally one of the shittiest, poorest counties in the province is clearly against a pay raise. The sooner the old geriatrics die off and the county population collapses the better

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
gently caress any business that can't afford to pay it's workers 15 dollars an hour

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Someone's not happy about the NDP-Green deal

quote:

Let's burn this loving failure of a country to the mother loving ground so that it can finally be rebuilt.

You loving enviro-zealots want a civil war? You're gonna loving get one, and you're gonna gently caress lose. Bigly. I almost don't know how we avoid it at this point.

You're going to see the NDP boot-hosed from office in 2019, and you're going to see a new Alberta nationalist / separatist surge thereafter.

Actions have consequences, and oh my god will there ever be loving consequences. I can see this situation getting so out of control and so bad that it will literally resolve itself in bloodshed and tears. Not kidding. At this point you loving 'progressives have pulled the Newton's cradle back so far that it's going to swing just as fast and just as far when it starts going the other way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

gently caress any business that can't afford to pay it's workers 15 dollars an hour

$15 canadian, even, $11.11 USD.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

the trump tutelage posted:

Anyone know of any good resources on how multi-member districts would be formed under a PR system? It seems like it would especially prone to good ol' Yankee gerrymandering.

The parliamentary committee talked all about this in the report. There are some complex ways of doing it, relatively simple ways of doing it (huge multimember districts for complete urban areas, separate balancing for rural areas), and ways you don't have to bother with it at all (MMP).

e: Oh you're talking about BC, rather than Federally.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 31, 2017

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So how is everyone feeling about that minimum wage increase in Ontario? My Facebook collection of regressive Renfrew county morons has been having a field day screaming about economic doom. Because naturally one of the shittiest, poorest counties in the province is clearly against a pay raise. The sooner the old geriatrics die off and the county population collapses the better

Been reading the reactions from the friends-of-friends from back in Hamilton, and it's pretty much the same. Just ranting about how they went to Mohawk and trained in whatever so that they could make $18 to $20 an hour, so how dare these fry cooks think they deserve nearly as much? FYGM at its finest.

At least, that's​ what I thought they were saying - the bunch of waterheads can barely loving spell.

St. Dogbert fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 31, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Funkdreamer posted:

Someone's not happy about the NDP-Green deal

lol Please Alberta separate so we don't have to listen to your whiny bullshit anymore.

Also good luck negotiating pipelines when you're an independent country instead of a province.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

lol Please Alberta separate so we don't have to listen to your whiny bullshit anymore.

Also good luck negotiating pipelines when you're an independent country instead of a province.

Seriously. Alberta, shut up, you petulant hicks.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

all that nonexistent LNG money

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
If anything, multimember districts would be harder to gerrymander than single member districts. Gerrymandering works because the margin of victory/loss doesn't matter. The more those votes get redistributed in some way, the less you can leverage the effect.

I doubt we're talking just multimember districts, though. BCSTV is good for, essentially, a two party system (or a balanced several party system). The district sizes are too small to be proportional when you have a party in the 10-20% vote range, and if you increase their size they get too big to be linked to reasonable sized ridings. If there are multimember districts, it is probably in combination with some other system that ensures proportionallity, which takes out the threat of gerrymandering the individual ridings.

As far as what prevents an attempt at gerrymandering, it's the fact that our boundaries are set by a nonpartisan panel and its seen as inappropriate to overly gently caress with their recommendations or game the system. So, basically, some systems are in place combined with tradition.

http://142.34.128.33/index.php//resources/maps/electoral-boundaries-commission-reports/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also that Alberta subreddit owns

https://www.reddit.com/r/alberta/comments/6duiu4/can_i_raise_a_kid_off_the_grid_and_free_from_the/

quote:

Hi, my wife is expecting a child and I want to raise the kid without the interference or even the knowledge of the government. I'm a contractor and I've set my business up in such a way that I'm only paying taxes when I buy stuff, like GST and the loving Carbon Tax. I haven't done taxes in years, or used our socialized health care system either. However, I know that that I'm still in the system because I registered my last couple of trucks, and my parents registered my birth, and schooled me publicly.
I want to raise my expectant child without the government involved or aware of him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Alberta is a real treasure, but you'll find poo poo like that in rural BC and Ontario too. The main problem with Alberta is that "rural culture" and attitudes are more common in urban areas rather than safely quarantined in dying rural towns.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

Seriously. Alberta, shut up, you petulant hicks.

By "shut up" do you mean double down on the arrogant rhetoric? 'Cause if so Notley's on the job!

quote:

"At the end of the day, we can't be a country that says one of its two functional coastlines is only going to do what the people who live right beside it want to do," Notley said in an interview Wednesday with CBC Radio's Edmonton AM.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kinder-morgan-pipeline-expansion-proceed-promises-rachel-notley-alberta-premier-1.4137867

Get hosed. The coast belongs to the people who live here.

You'd get a lot further with trying to sweeten the deal and win people over versus just declaring "we want it, it's happening, deal with it".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not a big surprise that rural ontario's biggest export seems to be Fort Mac workers. Shitheads love to congregate

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Can confirm

quote:

when conservatives bitch about the drama teacher, remind them that their leader is a liberal arts grad insurance salesman.

or http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-no-sales-tax-alberta-already-has-one-but-doesnt-get-the-revenue

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There was a Radiolab about someone raised like this who was utterly hosed later in life.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

The Butcher posted:

By "shut up" do you mean double down on the arrogant rhetoric? 'Cause if so Notley's on the job!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/kinder-morgan-pipeline-expansion-proceed-promises-rachel-notley-alberta-premier-1.4137867

You'd get a lot further with trying to sweeten the deal and win people over versus just declaring "we want it, it's happening, deal with it".

Tell her if the coast isn't BC's the oil isn't AB's. What now

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, nationalize the oil, nationalize the coasts.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I read an article a couple years back about how some off the grid peeps managed to raise kids off the system. Imagine how hosed those kids were without a SSN or birth certificate. Yeah, turbo hosed.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Tell her if the coast isn't BC's the oil isn't AB's. What now

Seriously how many times have I seen Albertans whine about the country profiting of THEIR OIL!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I made a post about it on my Facebook page yesterday. A ton of my friends have liked it, including a handful of my ultra-rich marketing friends who also own their own businesses.

The only person who's tried to be even remotely like "nuh-uh" was a guy I knew from high school who barely graduated and just started a marketing company in rural northern Alberta, and even he wasn't openly against it, he was just like "eh we'll see, it might work out even though their economy is different to Alberta"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Butcher posted:

Lmao gently caress Alberta. It's our coast. If they want to use it, loving pay up and properly compensate us.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao gently caress Alberta. It's our coast. If they want to use it, loving pay up and properly compensate us.

They can also try to ship it south through the USA to Houston :iamafag:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just introduce a dangerous cargo seaway toll. Put the money into a "eventual massive disaster cleanup fund" and then spend all that money on first time home buyer subsidies and just beg the feds for money when one of those tankers eventually hit something.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Maybe they should get a domestic manufacturing industry that consumes their extracted resources instead of eschewing value add and selling to lowest bidder in China.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just introduce a dangerous cargo seaway toll. Put the money into a "eventual massive disaster cleanup fund" and then spend all that money on first time home buyer subsidies and just beg the feds for money when one of those tankers eventually hit something.

That would be the most BC solution possible so therefore I am 100% for it

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Photo radar probably wouldn't be a good idea to try again, but I think it would be tough to argue against a system that took a photo of your plate as you left Whistler and then another as you arrive in Vancouver. (Or say the start/end of the 60 zone in Lions Bay, or many other examples) If you get through too quickly it's probably hard to argue that the photo radar happened to catch you for the two seconds you were over the limit while passing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Evis posted:

Photo radar probably wouldn't be a good idea to try again, but I think it would be tough to argue against a system that took a photo of your plate as you left Whistler and then another as you arrive in Vancouver. (Or say the start/end of the 60 zone in Lions Bay, or many other examples) If you get through too quickly it's probably hard to argue that the photo radar happened to catch you for the two seconds you were over the limit while passing.

Woah that's a PRIVACY ISSUE. The government shouldn't have any records on where or how fast you're operating an extremely dangerous multi-ton piece of machinery on public roads.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Evis posted:

It sounded like Horgan/Weaver plan to leave road pricing up to the cities (:ssh:), maybe they can do average-speed enforcement cameras like in the UK

it's the urban areas where speed really kills. highways I could give a gently caress about

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

The parliamentary committee talked all about this in the report. There are some complex ways of doing it, relatively simple ways of doing it (huge multimember districts for complete urban areas, separate balancing for rural areas), and ways you don't have to bother with it at all (MMP).

e: Oh you're talking about BC, rather than Federally.

Still good, thanks!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canadian innovation: an electrified pickup truck.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/electric-pickup-truck-developed-by-u-of-t-grad-on-display-in-markham-1.4138734

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Evis posted:

I hate this idea but only because I regularly speed along the S2S and I don't want to add an hour to my time to get to Vancouver when there's no one on the highway on a sunny day just to do the speed limit.

The bigger problem is people going too slowly, studies have shown that's actually a bigger accident cause than people going too fast. There's nothing like coming around the corner on the S2S doing 100 to find a guy doing 50 right in front of you and having to slam on the brakes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, doing like 120 on a 90 signed highway when there's no one around to crash into is fine. But doing 50 in a 30 zoned neighbourhood street in a city is absolutely deadly. It's way easier to give tickets to people speeding on the highway than neighbourhood streets though, so the cops enforce where the money is rather than where the safety issues are.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, doing like 120 on a 90 signed highway when there's no one around to crash into is fine. But doing 50 in a 30 zoned neighbourhood street in a city is absolutely deadly. It's way easier to give tickets to people speeding on the highway than neighbourhood streets though, so the cops enforce where the money is rather than where the safety issues are.
Civil engineers design road banking, corners, materials and other factors around the signed speed. It isn't just a random number. Speeding is unsafe regardless of the absence of other traffic.

A road built for 50 and one for 100 along the exact same corridor will be very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreploy
Mar 14, 2016

cowofwar posted:

Civil engineers design road banking, corners, materials and other factors around the signed speed. It isn't just a random number. Speeding is unsafe regardless of the absence of other traffic.

A road built for 50 and one for 100 along the exact same corridor will be very different.

Yeah, but there are tolerances built into that, as well. +100% speed is one thing, but +25% actually seems like a fairly small margin for traffic engineers.