Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Midig posted:

Well, not necessarily attacking someone. But dealing with difficult subjects.

Now you're moving the goal posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Crain posted:

According to the Daily Mail they are looking at this as an offense under The Communications Act of 2003

Dunno which part, I'm scrolling through now to see if anything jumps out.

Oh here they say:

quote:

A Scotland Police spokeswoman stated that Markus was arrested for “the publication of offensive material online (improper use of electronic communications under the Communications Act 2003).”
http://teneightymagazine.com/2017/05/21/scottish-youtuber-faces-hate-crime-charges/

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ah, well there you go. So basically violating broadcast standards.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Plenty of jokes don't deal with difficult subjects, though. I see no reason why you want to exclude them other than it's inconvenient for your argument.

Well, I guess if you took what I said literally and ignored the context you might think that there is an almost infinite amount of hypothetical jokes that are not sexist, homophobic, racist, offensive, unsympathetic etc. and it was wrong of me to not point that out, but being charitable is not your strong suit.

Midig fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 31, 2017

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Midig posted:

Well, I guess if you took what I said literally and ignored the context you might think that there is an almost infinite amount of hypothetical jokes that are not sexist, homophobic, racist, offensive, unsympathetic etc. and it was wrong of me to not point that out, but being charitable is not your strong suit.

This is incredibly dumb, even for you.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

loving lol. So it seems like the dude hosed up and basically guaranteed himself a guilty judgement:

Communications Act 2003 - Section 127 posted:

Improper use of public electronic communications network

(1)A person is guilty of an offence if he—
  1. sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or
  2. causes any such message or matter to be so sent.
(2)A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—
  1. sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,
  2. causes such a message to be sent; or
  3. persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

This is why you don't say poo poo without talking to a lawyer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The only media covering this case initially were those trying to beat an "anti-PC" drum. It's worth considering why that is.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The only media covering this case initially were those trying to beat an "anti-PC" drum. It's worth considering why that is.

I see reference to it in Jewish media as well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Say what you mean and mean what you say, it's not hard.

Edit:

I love your use of "hypothetical", as if non-offensive jokes don't actually exist except as a thought experiment.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 31, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crain posted:

loving lol. So it seems like the dude hosed up and basically guaranteed himself a guilty judgement:

This is why you don't say poo poo without talking to a lawyer.

OTOH perhaps there shouldn't be a law against mildly irritating people.

Again, our laws make a lot of things illegal but are applied selectively.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

what kind of defence is that, anyway? i don't know what kind of maniac goes to that amount of effort just to annoy their girlfriend. i sing pop songs off key, works an absolute treat.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lovechop posted:

what kind of defence is that, anyway? i don't know what kind of maniac goes to that amount of effort just to annoy their girlfriend. i sing pop songs off key, works an absolute treat.

turns out there's a shitload of idiots on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBt2714dcQo

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Say what you mean and mean what you say, it's not hard.

Edit:

I love your use of "hypothetical", as if non-offensive jokes don't actually exist except as a thought experiment.

They exist. They just tend to be really boring and are reserved for forced interactions.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lovechop posted:

Originally I thought he was doing this to an ex-girlfriend, which made somewhat more sense even if it's a little odd to have that much access to your ex's dog.

But yeah that too reeks of "Think of something think of something...I GOT IT! Wait poo poo that's made it worse..."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Midig where is your YouTube where you detail in a 30 minute talking head video about what a really jokes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe that was his initial and fairly immediate statement when this first gained media attention, before he was arrested, it is quite possibly sincere.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

They exist. They just tend to be really boring and are reserved for forced interactions.

You should maybe go out into the world and see some forms of comedy besides /pol/ memes and rage comics from r/edgyHumor.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Midig where is your YouTube where you detail in a 30 minute talking head video about what a really jokes

Someone did the work for me:

>A thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.<

Maybe my laziness is a blessing to the world.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr-ouyT1HhI

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I believe that was his initial and fairly immediate statement when this first gained media attention, before he was arrested, it is quite possibly sincere.

Maybe, but it's still telling that his defense is "I was TRYING to be an rear end in a top hat".

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM

I love these kind of videos for some reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crain posted:

Maybe, but it's still telling that his defense is "I was TRYING to be an rear end in a top hat".

Again, being a slight annoyance isn't generally supposed to be illegal.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Midig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyKD4KagqbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZGYrMwqU_A

:shrug:

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Midig posted:

Wow, suddenly I understand all of your posts in this thread

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Wait, Jim Carrey is still considered funny? I though we let all the bad poo poo from the 2000s behind.

EDIT:

He is an anti-vax shithead, my opinion is highly biased.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

filming yourself speaking hate speech and choosing to upload that to the internet, and encouraging people to watch it is illegal however, even if it's done "ironically" by saying it to a dog, cat, or houseplant

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Midig posted:

Wait, Jim Carrey is still considered funny? I though we let all the bad poo poo from the 2000s behind.

Still a good joke that's not "really boring and are reserved for forced interactions."

Which is the point I'm making.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

filming yourself speaking hate speech and choosing to upload that to the internet, and encouraging people to watch it is illegal however, even if it's done "ironically" by saying it to a dog, cat, or houseplant

Unless you broadcast it to the entire country via a paper or national radio show, in which case you get paid to do it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Will you literally melt into a puddle of reactionary goo if you say you don't have to be a shithead to be funny? Will your tongue catch fire in your mouth if you admit that you were wrong? One of the greatest comedic bits in human history is right there and doesn't even use a swear word, and it's like your soul will be rent asunder by alt-right demons if you acknowledge it.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Will your tongue catch fire in your mouth if you admit that you were wrong?

I think I did this more often then I would have liked to in the gassed thread. My tongue is still operational, interpret that any way you want to.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Midig posted:

He is an anti-vax shithead, my opinion is highly biased.

You can spend the rest of the day deflecting and trying to shift the goalposts or you can just admit you made a bad argument.

"Comedy can be hurtful and still be funny" is a defensible argument that can actually be applied to the situation we were talking about. "Most comedy is hurtful and anything that isn't is just puns or bad watercooler talk and forced interactions no one wants" is not.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

I think I did this more often then I would have liked to in the gassed thread. My tongue is still operational, interpret that any way you want to.

If you admit you were wrong, but then go back to defending these shitheels at any chance you get, it seems like maybe you didn't really internalize why you were wrong.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you broadcast it to the entire country via a paper or national radio show, in which case you get paid to do it.

the hipocrisy of the system and its bias towards the upper classes is an argument to make that same punishment apply equally, not to allow anyone to say anything they want without consequence. i can't say "well rich people get away with murder" as an argument in support of free murder

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

If you admit you were wrong, but then go back to defending these shitheels at any chance you get, it seems like maybe you didn't really internalize why you were wrong.

Well i can try to sum it up:

I was wrong about TAA, guaranteed pedo

I was wrong about the PDP thing because I didn't read that WSJ article thoroughly enough.

I was wrong about Sam Harris. I gave him too much credit while having too many lovely views.

I think there was way more in all the mess, but that is the biggest points I think.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So is it, or is it not, possible to be funny without talking about "difficult subjects"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

the hipocrisy of the system and its bias towards the upper classes is an argument to make that same punishment apply equally, not to allow anyone to say anything they want without consequence. i can't say "well rich people get away with murder" as an argument in support of free murder

However in the persistent absence of any desire to make the law equally punitive, is making it unequally punitive more or less just than making it equally permissive?

If the law is de-facto "murder is illegal only if you're poor" or in this case "hate speech is illegal mostly if nobody is listening to you anyway" is the enforcement of that law not simply a distraction from the state sponsored brand of xenophobia?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

So is it, or is it not, possible to be funny without talking about "difficult subjects"?

It can make me smirk. It has that power.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

However in the persistent absence of any desire to make the law equally punitive, is making it unequally punitive more or less just than making it equally permissive?

do you have any other examples of men teaching dogs to be racist who were not prosecuted under scottish law? or are you just getting very specific here when you can no longer generalize about how other people are doing other things in other places and that means this guy shouldn't be punished somehow in this time and place because the world is too unfair

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

It can make me smirk. It has that power.

Take note everybody, this is what the top keks of 4chan will do to your mind. Abbot & Costello's greatest bit can make this broke-brained idiot smirk on a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You've never heard of disturbing the peace? Or sound ordinances?

• Locked thread