Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFistfulOfBitcoins
Feb 11, 2014
Hey fellas looking for fellow goons on PS4 for good times. hobbies include hiding in closets and climbing through windows. PSN is Gin-And-Goose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I have still never survived a round. For the first time ever I had a lucky spawn near the two seater with all of the car items nearby. Me and another counselor start it up and successfully dodge jason, and I'm getting a feel for the car as I turn towards the exit....

Game crashes. Dammit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I have still never survived a round. For the first time ever I had a lucky spawn near the two seater with all of the car items nearby. Me and another counselor start it up and successfully dodge jason, and I'm getting a feel for the car as I turn towards the exit....

Game crashes. Dammit.

The key item for my survival has always been the map. If I find a map in one of the first few cabins I'm in, then I stand a decent chance at surviving. The map allows you to see where everyone is, so it makes it easier to chill inside a cabin and then run to the car when its ready to go, or plan a route to the police so that you aren't running around aimlessly like Jason chum. There are a lot of times when people fix up the car or the boat but they don't have mics so you won't know it unless you're paying attention.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I only play as Jason 7 because he's my favorite of all the designs, AND the lack of running really gets you in the Jason mood.

A limping Chad or Vanessa can still outrun you, but if you know how to read a map and use Morph, you can teleport right in on them in Stalk, or when your shift cools down you got 'em in a choke.

You have to be drat good at the shift grab, though, so an open field chase can take a while.

BUT, if you rely on fear, killing the power/phone, stalking, trapping, etc, after about 15 seconds of running their fear is maxed out and you've got them dead to rights.

As 7 the most important thing to do is teleport to every power box immediately. For the first 2 minutes you can't run, stalk, or shift. Don't even bother killing unless they did something dumb like hide in a tent or outhouse. Kill the power. Your morph regenerates in 20 seconds. You can hit all 3 boxes before those idiots know where they are.

THEN you hunt.

Plus, Jason 7's sense is unreal. You can hear Tiffany breathing in a hiding spot on the other side of the map. And man, having rapid morph plus fast water movement makes killing boaters ridiculously easy. Just pop in near the moving boat icon and you can outswim the boat. It's so rad.

UUUUUUUUUUUGH I wanna get home and play.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Holy poo poo, this morning I've finally gotten to see the axe throw kill and the birdbath kill. :lol: They are pretty amazing/creative.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There really was no reason for anyone to be complaining about the kill variety, which it seemed like some were doing the first day before they knew how to play properly. Each Jason has 3 unique kills, plus a shared pool of like 10 more. Then when you throw in the environmental kills, and there are a lot of those too not just 1 or 2, and there's plenty of room for "creativity" as Jason.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I saw the same guy killed on a coat rack by myself and another Jason, back to back.

He was loving furious in dead chat that second time, saying it's a bug and the game is cheating.

Newbies. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I only play as Jason 7 because he's my favorite of all the designs, AND the lack of running really gets you in the Jason mood.

What up slow murderer, buddy. Can practically feel the terror in your victims.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My problem last night with Jason 7 was that I was forgetting to throw in a few machete chops when counselors were giving me a hard time. I'd try 2 or 3 times to shift grab someone before getting it right, when really I need to be hacking away before the first grab attempt just in case I miss and need to chase them down again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is the outside camp fire kill the one where you shove a machete down their throat? I tried being near it thinking it would toss someone in the fire the other day but that's what came out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shadowlz posted:

Jesus I've played this game so much longer than I normally play games. 41.7 hours past 2 weeks. Would be more but I had to hangout with ~*~MY GIRLFRIEND~*~ all weekend.

I really love the guys that get salty and say I'm a poo poo Jason after I kill 8/8 without trapping the cars or phone. I try to kill every person differently. Like, what the gently caress else can I do chief?

I got accused of being "cheap" by using shift-grab to slaughter all 8 in less than half the allotted time. I only repeated a single kill and one was just speared to death with normal attacks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

Is the outside camp fire kill the one where you shove a machete down their throat? I tried being near it thinking it would toss someone in the fire the other day but that's what came out.

Yeah, it's a skewer for marshmallows.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I managed to get and use the sweater last night on a Jason downed by Tommy, but I couldn't tell what it actually did.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it's a skewer for marshmallows.

Welp I just looked this up. It is a skewer. Except in my game it was a machete clipping wildly out of their bloody body.

That definitely makes more sense.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 31, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

What up slow murderer, buddy. Can practically feel the terror in your victims.

The only downside is I once morphed into a gang of 6 at the Packanack Lodge car, grabbed one, got hit and dropped them, then shift-grabbed and killed one.

Jason 2 could've probably killed 2 or 3 in that scenario. But the trade off is ol' Baghead can't hunt for poo poo, so once they're scattered it's mostly guess work.

'salright, though. Dying lonely and terrified out of your mind in the woods is the proper way to go.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Sorry I know this has been asked before, but how do I set my counselor and Jason preferences in the game lobby instead of the gray ? boxes?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Arnm616 posted:

Sorry I know this has been asked before, but how do I set my counselor and Jason preferences in the game lobby instead of the gray ? boxes?

On console:

Move cursor left (d-pad) to the box of usernames
Highlight yourself (up/down)
Move cursor right so the counselor box is highlighted
Enter (X on ps4)
Change dude
Accept (square on ps4)

You have to ACCEPT on the counselor from the options. Hitting back (circle) won't save your selection.

Hit start/options if your thing says "unready" under the picture of the selected map if you can't move cursor

You're ready when the box by your name is checked

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 31, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Well, that was weird. Went 7/8 as Jason and was chasing an AJ - she dived into a tent but I wasn't able to get the interact prompt to drag her out and kill her. Showed up on sense and could be heard everything, just not be touched; even the guy playing her was confused.

Weirder still when the timer ran out and he got a "You survived!" message, I still received the trophy for killing everyone and Tommy, along with the bonus experience for doing so. :psyduck:

literally have had this happen twice but with closets, once when I was Jason and another time when I was a person inside the closet. not idea why this interaction glitch happens but it's def the worst feeling when you have 1 person left and this bug prevents the game from being completed for real

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Somberbrero posted:

I managed to get and use the sweater last night on a Jason downed by Tommy, but I couldn't tell what it actually did.

You will get one free stun on Jason. If he is already down/stunned and you use it then nothing will happen. If you were trying to get the kill, their are more steps besides just using the sweater and having Tommy around.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

On console:

Move cursor left (d-pad) to the box of usernames
Highlight yourself (up/down)
Move cursor right so the counselor box is highlighted
Enter (X on ps4)
Change dude
Accept (square on ps4)

You have to ACCEPT on the counselor from the options. Hitting back (circle) won't save your selection.

Hit start/options if your thing says "unready" under the picture of the selected map if you can't move cursor

You're ready when the box by your name is checked

Great, thanks.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

'salright, though. Dying lonely and terrified out of your mind in the woods is the proper way to go.

This is what I've resigned myself to for each time I get picked as a counselor.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The only downside is I once morphed into a gang of 6 at the Packanack Lodge car, grabbed one, got hit and dropped them, then shift-grabbed and killed one.

Jason 2 could've probably killed 2 or 3 in that scenario. But the trade off is ol' Baghead can't hunt for poo poo, so once they're scattered it's mostly guess work.

It's pretty great that they worked the attributes of the Jasons that way, the ones before he died work more like human killers with their running and emphasis on direct attacks and traps, while the zombie Jasons rely more on terrorizing and literal movie magic to build a slow but relentless assault.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

chitoryu12 posted:

I got accused of being "cheap" by using shift-grab to slaughter all 8 in less than half the allotted time.

I've had that happen in a few pubbie games and I'm like, am I supposed to feel bad or something?

Because I don't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ComposerGuy posted:

I've had that happen in a few pubbie games and I'm like, am I supposed to feel bad or something?

Because I don't.

Anyone who complains is almost certainly young enough that they weren't even born when the Friday movies were popular, so I just laugh at them. With nostalgia its basically impossible to be pissed off while playing this game, but without nostalgia the desire to constantly tryhard is probably overpowering and frustrating when you realize there's no consistent way to win.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Should I get this game on PS4 or PC? I wasn't sure the differences between communities or if hacking was something to worry about on this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mr E posted:

Should I get this game on PS4 or PC? I wasn't sure the differences between communities or if hacking was something to worry about on this.

I haven't seen any hacking yet, and so far the main difference we've been able to tease out between the two communities is that PC has more insane foreigners ranting in Russian, Chinese, and Korean.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

I have seen one hacker so far in my PC time but both games have active communities, up to you really.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
One change I would like to see for shift is that if someone is looking at you, you can't shift. It makes more thematic sense, since the trope is offscreen teleportation, plus it would be balanced by the fact that by looking back at you, a counselor are far more likely to run into a tree or something, and looking forward to get their bearings lets you shift with all of the "Oh gently caress me" that brings.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

poptart_fairy posted:

So, I figured out on reason I love this game so much now - it reminds me of Dungeons and Dragons. :v:

This is how I see it, minus the talking. Jason controls the flow of the game and Jason has a ton of power to just poo poo on everything the counselors can do.

Jump out a second story window to escape? Nothin personnel kid I'm still right behind you. Lay traps inside the door? Nothin personnel kid. *teleports behind u* Lure me into a bedroom and set off firecrackers at the door so I'm stuck there until they're gone? Not bad, it took almost 10% of my power to negate that attack. And of course grabbing you in the middle of your attack animation and instantly killing you.

So when I'm playing with obviously immersed counselors who aren't being shitters I'll give them freebies. I'll walk into traps they lay or fall for their ruses on purpose so they feel like they have some kind of control over the game. Sometimes if I stop the car but I think they've earned the escape I'll drag out a passenger instead, let the rest start the car and run.

If a counselor successfully bamboozles me (or if I see th rough their ruse but decide it's clever enough to "fall for it" anyway) I'll morph out and find somebody else to gently caress with, give them some breathing room.

Never talk.

All that goes out the window if they're abusing bugs or talking poo poo. Last time somebody was like 'lol this jason is trying so hard and just can't catch me' so I immediately shifted on top of him and beat the poo poo out of him, pocket knives flying out of his body like a pinata. If you don't respect my show you can leave.

Haven't had any serious throwdowns on the Jason side yet, though I've clowned on Jasons before. It's hard to judge right now. On one hand I've had several games where we just beat the poo poo out of Jason all day and went home with 2 or fewer deaths, even one 0-death, but then I almost always get Jason the next round and they're lucky to leave with one, despite deliberately handicapping myself with the above.

I'm not sure if it's just me Chadding it up that pulls the team together so when I'm not there they fall apart, or if the Jasons I see doing that are just shitters. The first things I do when Jasoning are taking out the power boxes and putting bigtime harass on any counselors I see first-thing. I know the pain of getting tunneled ten seconds into the game, but I've also seen how much hurt an organized group can put on, so damaging the group before it forms is critical if you actually want to win. Despite my personal rules I do play to kill everybody. If we're doing immersion, movies rarely end with more than one survivor you know.

I play 8 and I'm going for 9. I just don't understand the shift-grabbing thing. There was a guy on :reddit: asking what the fastest execution was so he could be as efficient as possible. That'll be real useful to get to the top of ranked play and win that big tournament coming up, you god drat dweeb.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 31, 2017

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Hey fellow Jason 7s. Here is my usual routine. I find how you spend your pre shift time sets the pace for the rest of the match. I typically start by looking at the map for blip concentrations. If there are lots ill pop in and say hi, maybe catch an unlucky slower guy. Otherwise most times I go for the phone. Pop nearby electricity if possible, bust down the house's doors, maybe a second if it is really close. On my way out ill leave a trap if I'm feeling saucy on the jumper box.
Then I'll head for the nearest car. By now I'm at or close to shift, and have the phone area pacified. If i warp by the yellow car and no one is around ill bust down the nearest door until my cooldown recharges. Blue car usually has at least 1 person by it. I'll do a short chase here even if shift isn't up, i want people to run from the car. Run back, bust down doors. I'll trap the gas, maybe the battery when no one is around. By now shift is up and the hunt is on. Check the phone again, usually there will be someone there you can catch. If not, terrorize the car areas with stalk which should be up soon after and continue the hunt. Busting down doors by foot trafficked areas is the most important thing to allow you to shift through indoor areas to catch people since your walk speed is such poop. I usually try and swing on someone once or twice before grabbing. If I've wounded them or better yet slowed them, i don't care as much about getting knifed as the time i spent on the chase has weakened them and likely guaranteed the next shift grab.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Bup posted:

This is how I see it, minus the talking. Jason controls the flow of the game and Jason has a ton of power to just poo poo on everything the counselors can do.

Jump out a second story window to escape? Nothin personnel kid I'm still right behind you. Lay traps inside the door? Nothin personnel kid. *teleports behind u* Lure me into a bedroom and set off firecrackers at the door so I'm stuck there until they're gone? Not bad, it took almost 10% of my power to negate that attack. And of course grabbing you in the middle of your attack animation and instantly killing you.

So when I'm playing with obviously immersed counselors who aren't being shitters I'll give them freebies. I'll walk into traps they lay or fall for their ruses on purpose so they feel like they have some kind of control over the game. Sometimes if I stop the car but I think they've earned the escape I'll drag out a passenger instead, let the rest start the car and run.

If a counselor successfully bamboozles me (or if I see th rough their ruse but decide it's clever enough to "fall for it" anyway) I'll morph out and find somebody else to gently caress with, give them some breathing room.

Never talk.

All that goes out the window if they're abusing bugs or talking poo poo. Last time somebody was like 'lol this jason is trying so hard and just can't catch me' so I immediately shifted on top of him and beat the poo poo out of him, pocket knives flying out of his body like a pinata. If you don't respect my show you can leave.

Haven't had any serious throwdowns on the Jason side yet, though I've clowned on Jasons before. It's hard to judge right now. On one hand I've had several games where we just beat the poo poo out of Jason all day and went home with 2 or fewer deaths, even one 0-death, but then I almost always get Jason the next round and they're lucky to leave with one, despite deliberately handicapping myself with the above.

I'm not sure if it's just me Chadding it up that pulls the team together so when I'm not there they fall apart, or if the Jasons I see doing that are just shitters. The first things I do when Jasoning are taking out the power boxes and putting bigtime harass on any counselors I see first-thing. I know the pain of getting tunneled ten seconds into the game, but I've also seen how much hurt an organized group can put on, so damaging the group before it forms is critical if you actually want to win. Despite my personal rules I do play to kill everybody. If we're doing immersion, movies rarely end with more than one survivor you know.

I did this the other day when Jarvis and three counselors were trying to get away in a car. I shut them down at first, and killed one of them right away, but then they all scattered. So in the end just one counselor makes it back to the car, but Tommy is lagging behind them. I step out into the road right in between them, so I have an obvious choice: go after Tommy or stop the car from getting away.

I felt the right choice was to go after Tommy for two reasons. First, it allowed a single counselor to escape in the car, which is exactly what should happen in a Friday the 13th movie. Secondly, Tommy is Jason's nemesis and him getting killed in a showdown with Jason, allowing someone else to get away, also felt like something that could totally happen in one of the movies.

Roleplay is really fun in this game.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I kinda hope they add the remake Jason at some point. Pretty forgettable movie but the Jason costume looked dope.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I've noticed that even shitters and part 3s instinctively respect the Tommy sacrifice. Like the time I got to the two-seater just as it was being fixed and when we got to the place where Jason was going apeshit I got out and gave my seat to a Deborah. As they're getting ready to drive off I post up and tell Jason to come get his rear end whooped. He goes for me, we have our Grudge Match, and as he's twisting my head around the counselors escape in the car. That wasn't the first time that kind of thing had happened either.

Buggzy is also a good candidate for heroic sacrifices. Going ham as Buggzy with melee combat perks gets you a ton of points too and since you'll be the first one to die you'll probably get to Tommy and go for the escape.

Worst environmental kill aside from ground-floor window is probably folding chair. Even in an F13 game I can't take it seriously.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mister Bup posted:

Worst environmental kill aside from ground-floor window is probably folding chair. Even in an F13 game I can't take it seriously.

I haven't seen the folding chair kill but ground floor window kill is hilarious and emphasizes that this is a comedy game.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

I haven't seen the folding chair kill but ground floor window kill is hilarious and emphasizes that this is a comedy game.

The window kill is a concession to the movies, because in the movies Jason would murder someone before throwing them into the window, it was just a scare tactic, not an actual killing method. But in the game you can't carry the counselors corpses around once their dead so I guess they just put the window throw in as a kill instead. I'm fine with it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm watching the reboot movie for the first time and so far I'm PRETTY sure Jason is just protecting his weed field.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
So a number of folks have asked for a full run of my singing Jason gimmick, I went ahead and did it yesterday and got lucky enough to have some Twitch streamstar on there as well reacting to it. It wasn't as good as people mistaking it for gospel music but it was still pretty amusing.

My view is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B04AXaHkNhA here. Apologies for my many years old mic giving a static crackle in the background, there's not much I can do about that.

The streamer I happened to random into has her archive video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/148420657. The match starts at 56:00. I wasn't able to hear most of her reactions to my 'chanting', as she puts it, and her chat also has a pretty what the gently caress reaction to it, so it's a decent watch.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 31, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm watching the reboot movie for the first time and so far I'm PRETTY sure Jason is just protecting his weed field.

You are correct.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mister Bup posted:

Never talk.

I need to shut my mouth a few times but when people are having fun it's too infectious. :saddowns:

Very similar playstyle to mine otherwise though. Game is great when everyone's in on it - I just don't think it's fun to get instantly murdered, or to instantly murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Can you swim to the water exit?

I had fun discovering this. It was the first time I found out Jason had a kill in the water. I was like hah I'll wait out here in the water on this little rock island thing near the exit. It didn't work out well.

• Locked thread