Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Beastie posted:

The last time I preordered a game for fear of not being able to obtain it was in 2004 for Half-Life 2. I think that and GTA4 where the last two games where there simply were not enough copies to go around.

Oh my god 2004 was 13 years ago.

My GTA4 story:
A friend and I decided to go to Walmart (the one year they tested being open 24/7) to get it at midnight release. No preorders, nothing. There was an EB in the same plaza, with a good hundred people lined up outside for it. We went in, bought ourselves our copies, and were out in five minutes. :smug:
I haven't preordered since Halo 2. Logistical planning for supply is just too good these last ten/fifteen years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

irlZaphod posted:

I bought Disgaea 5 today even though I'm not finished Fire Emblem yet.

Congrats on now owning a game worth the time investment.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Mister Facetious posted:

My GTA4 story:
A friend and I decided to go to Walmart (the one year they tested being open 24/7) to get it at midnight release. No preorders, nothing. There was an EB in the same plaza, with a good hundred people lined up outside for it. We went in, bought ourselves our copies, and were out in five minutes. :smug:
I haven't preordered since Halo 2. Logistical planning for supply is just too good these last ten/fifteen years.

Halo 2 was probably the craziest midnight release ever. I remember the local EB Games had an insane amount of people and the first dude in line ran outside after midnight with the game and promptly licked it in front of the crowd, prompting loud boos. It was hilarious.

The Switch was first midnight release for anything that I've attended in years thanks to digital purchases.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

irlZaphod posted:

I ended up liking it alot more than FE so ya made the right choice.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Beastie posted:

The last time I preordered a game for fear of not being able to obtain it was in 2004 for Half-Life 2. I think that and GTA4 where the last two games where there simply were not enough copies to go around.

Oh my god 2004 was 13 years ago.

lmao if you didn't get a download code for a free copy of Half-Life 2 in the box with your ATI Radeon 9600.

also lmao if you weren't 13 and confused where the game was/disappointed to see the "included game" was just a code

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
RE: Pokken Switch stuff

Hace posted:

That's cool and all, but will it just straight up not have local multiplayer?

If this really exists, then it's actually going to be hard to say. Split screen would be very complicated, and most importantly the competitive scene for Pokken already uses 2 Wii Us for a LAN connection on their local multi. Forced LAN for local multi would be a bit of a bummer, but I don't think it would be that large of a deal breaker (and it certainly wouldn't be for the competitive crowd).

empathe posted:

Why does it need splitscreen? Couldn't they just change the camera to be more like Tekken?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I believe gameplay changes somewhat depending on perspective. You are at a disadvantage when in side view mode and an advantage when behind the shoulder.

You can't change the camera around; the gameplay itself is tied around switching from the 3D and 2D modes and each player needs their own perspective. It's not a "disadvantage/advantage" thing though, the movesets/movements/properties are different between the modes. It switches between the two at damage caps/throws/special triggers for match flow.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Ventana posted:

RE: Pokken Switch stuff
You can't change the camera around; the gameplay itself is tied around switching from the 3D and 2D modes and each player needs their own perspective. It's not a "disadvantage/advantage" thing though, the movesets/movements/properties are different between the modes. It switches between the two at damage caps/throws/special triggers for match flow.

That's some pretty rough lock in to the Wii U.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How did it work in the arcade? Two screens per cabinet?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

This is me but I'm rebuying it and I haven't finished Persona yet

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How did it work in the arcade? Two screens per cabinet?

JP fighting games in arcades have been single screen/player with a local network setup for multiplayer for a while.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

empathe posted:

That's some pretty rough lock in to the Wii U.

Yeah, that's why as hopeful as I am about the news, I'm going to remain very skeptical until there is more definitive proof. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to play only via LAN connection, since Nintendo was okay when Splatoon did the same thing (even though it's a different genre obviously).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

enojy posted:

Big Bunch o' Isaac.

Thanks for that. I thought maybe I was about ready to move on to a different game, but nope!

Actually I did have one crazy run where I ended up beating The Lamb well before I'd even unlocked It Lives!, but I thought there was just that one area and it had something to do with the key fragment I can only ever get half of.

Turns out I need to git gudder.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Oh the fake Smash screens from yesterday were most likely mock-ups created by a white supremacist for his YouTube channel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh the fake Smash screens from yesterday were most likely mock-ups created by a white supremacist for his YouTube channel.

:thunk:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

gently caress that guy for trying to get into a fight with Charles Martinet. Little Nazi better pump his brakes before he comes at the voice of Mario

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Milkshake Duck strikes again!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

He's a birther, jfc

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

So, I bought this Anker charger, and it's fully charged, but does not seem to want to charge my switch at all. Either with the USB to USB-C cable or the dual USB-C cable. What gives?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

it shriveled up posted:

So, I bought this Anker charger, and it's fully charged, but does not seem to want to charge my switch at all. Either with the USB to USB-C cable or the dual USB-C cable. What gives?

Neither the Switch, nor that battery or its included cable are USB-C compliant. (Edit: almost nothing is, but the Switch is extra bad and even Anker is not 100% reliable. USB C is a mess because no one is regulating it.)

I've​ heard that battery can charge C to C with the Switch, so maybe try a different cable. Check Benson Leung's list.

But yeah. Officially you can only use Nintendo's plug to charge the Switch and anything else is a crapshoot.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I saw a tip for Disgaea 5 earlier in the thread that I want to reiterate upon.

If you don't mind putting in a bit of time, you can shoot up in levels fairly quickly near the beginning of the game. So basically, every time you use an item, you gain about an eighth of a level's worth of experience, no matter the item or your character level. In the first level of the Second Episode, Spirit Internment, there are some tiles at the left of the starting point with EXP +50%. Using items on these squares give about a sixth of a level's worth experience. Buy a lot of Unopened Sodas for about 4,000 money, and go to town chugging on these squares. You get 2 uses out of each Unopened Soda, so you get a lot of mileage out of them.

I don't remember when exactly you get access to the Strategy Assembly, but you can expedite the process if you have access to it and a character with 100 mana. Pass the bill called Cheat Shop, and it will unlock an character in the base that will allow you to adjust how much money, exp, mana, mastery, etc you gain per map. You can crank your EXP even higher there. I increased the EXP to 155% at the expense of money and weapon mastery (I'm in episode 9 of the game and there are only 5 enemies on the map so the money and mastery gains are negligible). Now when I stand on the squares, I gain a level with about 3 items.

I haven't gotten this far in the process yet, but apparently if you level up a Thief first, you can have the Thief create boxes for your other lower level characters to destroy. The boxes actually have levels, so a level 200 Thief creates a level 200 box. Destroying those boxes with lower level characters apparently levels them up quicker than anything else.

I'm playing on the PS4, but this all worked for me. I got burned out on the game, but I think this will give me the oomph to plow through it. Just wanted to share/reiterate with you guys!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Shadow225 posted:

If you don't mind putting in a bit of time, you can shoot up in levels fairly quickly near the beginning of the game. So basically, every time you use an item, you gain about an eighth of a level's worth of experience, no matter the item or your character level. In the first level of the Second Episode, Spirit Internment, there are some tiles at the left of the starting point with EXP +50%. Using items on these squares give about a sixth of a level's worth experience. Buy a lot of Unopened Sodas for about 4,000 money, and go to town chugging on these squares. You get 2 uses out of each Unopened Soda, so you get a lot of mileage out of them.

I don't remember when exactly you get access to the Strategy Assembly, but you can expedite the process if you have access to it and a character with 100 mana. Pass the bill called Cheat Shop, and it will unlock an character in the base that will allow you to adjust how much money, exp, mana, mastery, etc you gain per map. You can crank your EXP even higher there. I increased the EXP to 155% at the expense of money and weapon mastery (I'm in episode 9 of the game and there are only 5 enemies on the map so the money and mastery gains are negligible). Now when I stand on the squares, I gain a level with about 3 items.

I haven't gotten this far in the process yet, but apparently if you level up a Thief first, you can have the Thief create boxes for your other lower level characters to destroy. The boxes actually have levels, so a level 200 Thief creates a level 200 box. Destroying those boxes with lower level characters apparently levels them up quicker than anything else.

I'm playing on the PS4, but this all worked for me. I got burned out on the game, but I think this will give me the oomph to plow through it. Just wanted to share/reiterate with you guys!

Yup, That's what I did for a bit to blow through a lot of the story levels. Also the Thief box thing I'm unsure if it gives tons of exp but it does give good class proficiency which helped unlock Sage early.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I am traveling to Europe on Friday and I want to take my switch for the flight but I really don't want to have to put it in my checked luggage on the way back. What are the odds that they are going to change it in the next week so I have to check it?

:confused:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

So I am traveling to Europe on Friday and I want to take my switch for the flight but I really don't want to have to put it in my checked luggage on the way back. What are the odds that they are going to change it in the next week so I have to check it?

:confused:

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm headed to Ireland on Monday.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I believe it just came out yesterday they decided to not change the travel rules from Europe.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I believe it just came out yesterday they decided to not change the travel rules from Europe.

Thats great news it would have been a stupid change.

I'll let you goons know if I sit next to a girl and we engage in mario karting.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Modus Pwnens posted:

Neither the Switch, nor that battery or its included cable are USB-C compliant. (Edit: almost nothing is, but the Switch is extra bad and even Anker is not 100% reliable. USB C is a mess because no one is regulating it.)

I've​ heard that battery can charge C to C with the Switch, so maybe try a different cable. Check Benson Leung's list.

But yeah. Officially you can only use Nintendo's plug to charge the Switch and anything else is a crapshoot.

I used these cables and they've charged my switch both from my Samsung wall charger and from my Anker Powercore 10000 battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M75GQ2K/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spellman
May 31, 2011

what you think will happen

MarcusSA posted:

I sit next to a girl and we engage in mario karting.

what will actually happen

you will be sitting next to someone who minds their own loving business. a man in fedora and a goku shirt will later approach you. he will say "hi, i'm larry. soooo what's the battery like in that thing?" he will then point to his internet girlfriend "i wanna get one, but i'm waiting for HER to let me." his girlfriend will roll her eyes

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I played Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on a plane with my attractive millenial friends

Thanks for reading

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dr Cheeto posted:

I played Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on a plane with my attractive millenial friends

Thanks for reading
:same:

Except I think we're a bit old to be Millennials.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

irlZaphod posted:

Millennials goes all the way to like 40 my dude.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

irlZaphod posted:

If you were born after 1979 but before 2000, you're a millennial. Your confusion is understandable because one of the key traits of millennials is not wanting to be labeled as such, especially by baby boomers or other millennials.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Nobody wants to be associated with the baby boomer thinkpieces about how if we just stopped eating avocado toast we could be homeowners.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well, that's today's narrative. Who knows what will happen the next time dear leader falls asleep on Twitter.

It's all chaos at this point, so who knows what the check situation will be like in even 48 hours.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nobody wants to be associated with the baby boomer thinkpieces about how if we just stopped eating avocado toast we could be homeowners.

That entire thing just made me more embarrassed on the behalf of any baby boomer who uses "millenial" as an insult

It's okay grandpa I won't let the mean 30-year-old kids hurt you, let's just get you over here into this nursing home before you drive your car and/or the economy any further off the road

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

If you were born after 1979 but before 2000, you're a millennial. Your confusion is understandable because one of the key traits of millennials is not wanting to be labeled as such, especially by baby boomers or other millennials.

Its not 1979 its like 82 or 83.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It's 1980-2000.

But it doesn't really matter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm generation Y. That's the way it's always been, that's how it's going to be.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gimbal lock posted:

Just because digital preorders has been a thing for years doesn't make it any less dumb, especially if you consider why preorders exist in the first place.

This is the weirdest hill to die on, even in this post-covfefe world.

Shadow225 posted:

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (on the 19th, so I might try to swap to digital because I'm impatient) so I've only messed around in the demo, but early in the game what's the best way to max out your combo meter? I haven't played since D4 and I forget what non-item world tile flipping tricks existed early on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I'm generation Y. That's the way it's always been, that's how it's going to be.

:same: Don't delete my cohort, pop sociology!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

X&Y sucked

wait for Stars on the Switch

• Locked thread