Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Narrative Play and Power Levels actully seem pretty balanced considering they are taking upgrades into account. I will probably give it a few tries to see how it compares to points.

Also for those who want the rules to change a bit for the Thousand Sons I guess try Narrative play as Psychic powers are not limited in that version. And if you play with friends I don't think many would object to your guys also having assess to the Change Discipline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey, it looks like RAW scions can't use Voice of Command.

Scions don't have <Regiment> they instead have the Militarum Tempestus keyword. There needs to be an FAQ that says that the Militarum Tempestus keyword can take the place of the <Regiment> keyword.

Edit: nevermind I'm dumb, it says that Miltarum Tempestus is a regiment in the sidebar

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MonsterEnvy posted:

Narrative Play and Power Levels actully seem pretty balanced considering they are taking upgrades into account. I will probably give it a few tries to see how it compares to points.

Also for those who want the rules to change a bit for the Thousand Sons I guess try Narrative play as Psychic powers are not limited in that version. And if you play with friends I don't think many would object to your guys also having assess to the Change Discipline.

I really would like GW to explain why they think it's a good idea to limit armies that only have 3 psychic powers to no repeats each turn.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Are the chaos points listed somewhere in that leak?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Well at least you are embracing it now.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Check out those ratlings. 7 points a model with their sniper rifles. They're going to be pretty brutal. 70 points to set up these guys 18 inches away from enemy models and shoot whatever character you want.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

For_Great_Justice posted:

Books do appear to be incomplete, as I don't see anything showing what each chaos mark does

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I really would like GW to explain why they think it's a good idea to limit armies that only have 3 psychic powers to no repeats each turn.

Yeah while I don't have any issue with no repeats, there should be more powers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Edit: Ninja'd.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They're stop gap rules and they prevent spamming of a spell in case one results in a horribly broken benefit or interaction somehow. I'm a TS player and it's a bit "eh" but we have Smite still which is a good solid spell. We had access to waaaaaay too many spells at the end of 7th, and it made list building and rolling for powers at the start exhausting. I was GMing a narrative based game and had to step in to cover a last minute drop out but it was a Friday night and I was so tired I could not face drawing up and running even a thousand points of TS so went Death Guard instead.

We will get new spells and updates soon - Chaos is getting a big push and focus this expansion and the 1K sons models are less than a year old.

Also it only applies to matched play which has been built for tournaments. Seems an OK restriction given that. Just go narrative like all the cool dudes .

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:rip: Vindicators

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

:rip: Vindicators

At least they do d6 hits against most infantry. And on the bright side, they got a much smaller points increase than most vehicles because of demolisher cannons not being great.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you.

It may be the marks might do nothing but be key words at this point. No furious charge listed for khorne for example unless its completely seperated for no real reason.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Milotic posted:

I'm a TS player and it's a bit "eh" but we have Smite

Your Aspiring Sorcerers and Scarab Occult Sorcerers don't have Smite, they have Teensy Weensy lovely Smity.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Thank you.

It may be the marks might do nothing but be key words at this point. No furious charge listed for khorne for example unless its completely seperated for no real reason.

Marks don't do anything but give keywords in AoS

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It looks like most armies have Smite + 3 powers (possibly 2 schools of 3 powers) .

This edition definitely isn't Psi-hammer. I am ok with this.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

At least they do d6 hits against most infantry.
D6 shots :eng101:

After seeing more weapons in the leaks, I'm now with BULBASAUR on the new blast weapons. They're pretty bad.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Am I missing something, or are all the IG superheavy tanks forced to shoot the majority of their weapons on 5+ to hit if they move at all? That's terrible.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Geoff Zahn posted:

Books do appear to be incomplete, as I don't see anything showing what each chaos mark does

I don't think they're incomplete; I don't think they do anything right now--it's either already included in the unit profile or adding the devotion merely gives you access to the icon. Hence why there are no points costs for marks of chaos.

This is somewhat OK; in the old rules there was very little reason, even after the Traitor Legions book, to take Plague Marines or Berserkers over regular CSMs with the Mark.

But as with everything else, these are placeholder rules, designed to hold us over until a codex (or 5) is released.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

chutche2 posted:

Marks don't do anything but give keywords in AoS

I could have sworn there was something shown on the Warhammer Community site awhile back that said they all do something, like Nurgle is +1 T, Slannesh is +1 A, Undivided is +1 LD, etc. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: NVM I think I'm remembering the SWA army lists.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

D6 shots :eng101:

After seeing more weapons in the leaks, I'm now with BULBASAUR on the new blast weapons. They're pretty bad.

Yeah most blast weapons are lovely, but also fairly cheap. And it helps that some armies can reroll 1s to hit pretty reliably so more of your shots will hit if you roll a good number of attacks.

Earthshakers roll 2 and drop the lowest for their shots, that's something at least. And a wyvern is loving 4d6 shots. A wyvern is 93 pts and a basilisk is 108, that's nothing compared to a lot of vehicles now.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 31, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just got my preview copies in. They're pretty neat.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

In short yeah it's terrible.

There are a bunch of ways to look at it, but here is one.

Model A: hits on a 3+
Model B: hits on a 5+

Gun X: has 1 shot, autowounds
Gun Y: has 10 shots, auto wounds

Expected value of model A with gun X firing 100 times is 66, model B is 33.

Now switch out guns. Model A adds 594 wounds, model B adds 297 wounds.

The gun is almost twice as effective on model A as model B, so you should probably charge more for it.

Very simplistic model but you get the general idea

Nicely illustrated, thank you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I wouldn't mind if the number of psychic powers doubles when the proper codices hit, especially for Psyker-heavy armies. Then again, I might be biased on them being okay right now because the Nid and Genestealer disciplines are already really interesting and flavorful. I can totally understand why Thousand Sons players are pissed, and I'm honestly kind of shocked Death Guard got their own powers instead of them.

As is, though, the psyker system is weirdly biased towards factions which can have a lot of allies and therefore pull from many disciplines. So mixed faction Imperium seem to be in the lead with like 7 disciplines (Marines, Redmarines, Greenmarines, Dogmarines, Greymarines, AM Psykers, Inquisition), then mixed faction Eldar with 4 (two for Eldar, Ynnead, and Harlequins), and a full Imperium+Cult-spliced Tyranids interestingly takes third place with 3 (Nids, GSC, and AM Psykers). This makes Chaos, the masters of the Warp, a distant fourth place, and that just feels weird to me. Like, if they could give all of those Imperium factions their own psyker disciplines, the least they could do was make Khorne, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh disciplines to go with Nurgle.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 31, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Looks like another source for the full rules dump if the russian Google Drive stuff is down:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ALe1vRw6e6HC0pA&id=B363D7DA57D09F04%2137264&cid=B363D7DA57D09F04

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

haha, holy poo poo yes. exactly this, even with the weird gleeful giggle.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Bee posted:

Like, if they could give all of those Imperium factions their own psyker disciplines, the least they could do was make Khorne, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh disciplines to go with Nurgle.

Well. Maybe not Khorne psychic disciplines.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Deptfordx posted:

Well. Maybe not Khorne psychic disciplines.

I think the khorne psychic discipline is just a box with the chainaxe profile.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

The Bee posted:

I wouldn't mind if the number of psychic powers doubles when the proper codices hit, especially for Psyker-heavy armies. Then again, I might be biased on them being okay right now because the Nid and Genestealer disciplines are already really interesting and flavorful. I can totally understand why Thousand Sons players are pissed, and I'm honestly kind of shocked Death Guard got their own powers instead of them.

As is, though, the psyker system is weirdly biased towards factions which can have a lot of allies and therefore pull from many disciplines. So mixed faction Imperium seem to be in the lead with like 7 disciplines (Marines, Redmarines, Greenmarines, Dogmarines, Greymarines, AM Psykers, Inquisition), then mixed faction Eldar with 4 (two for Eldar, Ynnead, and Harlequins), and a full Imperium+Cult-spliced Tyranids interestingly takes third place with 3 (Nids, GSC, and AM Psykers). This makes Chaos, the masters of the Warp, a distant fourth place, and that just feels weird to me. Like, if they could give all of those Imperium factions their own psyker disciplines, the least they could do was make Khorne, Tzeentch, and Slaanesh disciplines to go with Nurgle.

Having 3 psychic powers + magic missiles kind of sucks when the entire army is psykers that all use the same discipline(GK). Maybe it would be OK if you could have someone else try to use the same power if the first one failed, but "Sorry, this one unit failed to cast Gate of Infinity, gently caress off no gating for you this turn" is just kind of bizarre and lovely. Similar for TS. IDGI.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Khisanth Magus posted:

Having 3 psychic powers + magic missiles kind of sucks when the entire army is psykers that all use the same discipline(GK). Maybe it would be OK if you could have someone else try to use the same power if the first one failed, but "Sorry, this one unit failed to cast Gate of Infinity, gently caress off no gating for you this turn" is just kind of bizarre and lovely. Similar for TS. IDGI.

Yeah. Factions defined by being Psykers should at least have six options instead of three. Generic Imperium may have 7 disciplines to choose from, but that really doesn't help with most of your Grey Knights only having Grey Knights as an option.

Would allowing Space Marine subfactions to pick from the main Space Marine list help any?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sadly, Possessed still seem a throwaway afterthought. Still no weapon options, or ability to get any ranged attack or special powers. Even Vessel of Chaos is gone. Plus you're rolling d3 for attacks. *Sigh*.

I've got 15 of them, and I never use them. They either need to be squatted, given options or buffed up into mini-Gal Vorbak.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Deptfordx posted:

Sadly, Possessed still seem a throwaway afterthought. Still no weapon options, or ability to get any ranged attack or special powers. Even Vessel of Chaos is gone. Plus you're rolling d3 for attacks. *Sigh*.

I've got 15 of them, and I never use them. They either need to be squatted, given options or buffed up into mini-Gal Vorbak.

The problem with Possessed is that they're another close combat unit in an army that is bursting with them. Possession needs to be an upgrade you can drop on top of other units to make them better

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's one option.

Personally I'd basically make them what the Mutilators are supposed to be, a heavy close combat unit, equivalent to the Assault Terminator/Tooled up Tyranid Warrior.

But I'm not fussy. Just do *something* with them.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

They should be a deamonic style unit you buy upgrades for. Build them how you want but make it costly. Maybe actually give them useage of the wings a few of them have for example.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Deptfordx posted:

That's one option.

Personally I'd basically make them what the Mutilators are supposed to be, a heavy close combat unit, equivalent to the Assault Terminator.

But I'm not fussy. Just do *something* with them.

...but then Mutilators are worthless

Like I said, the problem is that Possessed have to find a place with Berserkers, Mutilators, CCW Marines/Chosen, Raptors, Warp Talons, Terminators, Maulerfiends, Helbrutes, and daemons, all of which are basically close combat units in one way or another.

If it were me writing the codex, I'd kill off Possessed and Warp Talons, and add Daemonic Possession as an option to some units, where it'd give them +1M, +1S, +1W, +1A and the Daemon special rule for something like a 50% points increase on the base model cost (to be balanced/tweaked later). Then let almost any unit become possessed. Give Raptors the ability to take Lightning Claws and now Lightning Claw Raptors + Possession = Warp Talons.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

The problem with Possessed is that they're another close combat unit in an army that is bursting with them. Possession needs to be an upgrade you can drop on top of other units to make them better

It would be cool if a possessed unit had the chance of turning into a demon of the appropriate god upon the death of the possessed model.

Also, warbikers have 2 wounds now so I can excuse their point increase. Also, why would you ever take a skorcha over a big-shoota, they are 3x the points and have much lower range. I am looking at a Kan/Dread wall backed up by large mobs of Boyz, good stuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

...but then Mutilators are more worthless

Everybody hates the Mutilator model anyway, just get rid of them.

Edit: Also called it days ago.

Deptfordx posted:

The Mutilators going to have some sort of stupid random 'Fleshmetal claws' equivalent isn't it.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 31, 2017

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

...but then Mutilators are worthless

Like I said, the problem is that Possessed have to find a place with Berserkers, Mutilators, CCW Marines/Chosen, Raptors, Warp Talons, Terminators, Maulerfiends, Helbrutes, and daemons, all of which are basically close combat units in one way or another.

If it were me writing the codex, I'd kill off Possessed and Warp Talons, and add Daemonic Possession as an option to some units, where it'd give them +1M, +1S, +1W, +1A and the Daemon special rule for something like a 50% points increase on the base model cost (to be balanced/tweaked later). Then let almost any unit become possessed. Give Raptors the ability to take Lightning Claws and now Lightning Claw Raptors + Possession = Warp Talons.

I like this, and I think a few armies could benefit from this kind of consolidation.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Miruvor posted:

Yeah, Guard still have leman russ squadrons, which is all well and good.. But that's ignoring the bigger issue, the complete loss of Platoons! Which is kind of of a bummer. You don't even need platoon command squads, which along with special weapons and veteran squads are all elite choices, which now really crowds that slot for guard.

Really cutting down on the horde potential

All IG squads lost their ability to take krak grenades/melta bombs too, and no more doctrines on vets really saps a lot of the variation and flavour from the army

*Edit* Master of ordinance grants re-rolls on 1s to all the artillery vehicles, but not mortar squads, feels like a huge waste of potential

I'm still trying to get my bearings on what the new rules mean (it's impossible to take in all the changes to tactics and strategy without playing some games) which is not bad any easier by the atrocious new manner of noting and assembling points costs. Is it just a sinister coincidence that this system makes it slightly harder for an experienced player to tot up his list, but orders of magnitude harder for a player reading leaked jpg files to figure out what the gently caress stuff costs?

But yeah, IG structure is boned for the moment. The conventional infantry type list is pretty different in structure as veterans and special weapon squads are elite and heavy weapon squads are (individually) heavy support, which hasn't been even partially true since 3rd edition. Some interesting things though: you could just take a Tempestor Prime as your army's senior officer alternative if you like. Ditto command squads, you can take them freely as sort of 4-man all-special weapon teams. Commissars and the masters of ordnance/fleet are interesting.

EDIT: well I suppose a Tempestor Prime could only give orders to Scion units. Ha, RAW you can just name your regiment 'Militarum Tempestus' and then it works.

On consideration, one upside of the loss of Pl structure (which seriously does make the army fill up detachments at several times the rate of other forces) is that you can fill detachments and gather in mad stratagem points pretty easily. It's just so hard to envision the radical changes in action. I need to get together with some other hams for a game or two.

I have lots of little bits and pieces of inquisition type models and stuff that is all quite diverse. Going to add up some unit costs and compare them.

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Rubric marines got a few points more expensive; I've got a bunch of them so I'm curious to see how they perform on the table. Their bolters got better vs 2+ save infantry and can now wound T7 on a 5+. Otoh they're worse vs power armor and their invuln save went down a point (but they gained a point vs small arms fire).

Being excited about 40k is loving with my head. I thought the whole point of this dumb game was being bitter about space mans.

• Locked thread