Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To play Devil's Advocate, the "Who's On First" routine's humor is derived from making fun of Asian names, so it's not exactly an example of innocent humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KomradeX posted:

You've never heard of disturbing the peace? Or sound ordinances?

Public disturbances yes and they shouldn't carry the possibility of jail sentences.

Like the law as written literally means you could go to jail for telling someone to gently caress off on twitter.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Who What Now posted:

Take note everybody, this is what the top keks of 4chan will do to your mind. Abbot & Costello's greatest bit can make this broke-brained idiot smirk on a good day.

But not nearly as much as calling a Jewish person a kike while having your specially trained dog bark at him while giving the Bellamy salute.

Or reposting the same A. Wyatt Mann comics over and over again with new poo poo MSpainted ontop.

WampaLord posted:

To play Devil's Advocate, the "Who's On First" routine's humor is derived from making fun of Asian names, so it's not exactly an example of innocent humor.

uh. You literally never watched or hear the actual bit have you?

They're not making fun of Asian names.

Crain fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 31, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

WampaLord posted:

Oh poo poo really?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh poo poo really?

No.

quote:

Abbott: Oh, I'll tell you their names, but you know it seems to me they give these ball players now-a-days very peculiar names.

Costello: You mean funny names?

Abbott: Strange names, pet names...like Dizzy Dean...

Costello: His brother Daffy.

Abbott: Daffy Dean...

Costello: And their French cousin.

Abbott: French?

Costello: Goofè.

Abbott: Goofè Dean. Well, let's see, we have on the bags, Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third...

Costello: That's what I want to find out.

Abbott: I say Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third.

Costello: Are you the manager?

Abbott: Yes.

"What" and "I don't know" Aren't asian names. The joke is literally that those 3 players have odd names that aren't names.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Okay that's what I thought. It's been a while since I listened to the whole thing.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I could not tell it was based on making fun of asian names so I would personally give it a pass.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Okay that's what I thought. It's been a while since I listened to the whole thing.

The other players are Tomorrow, Today, Why, and I Don't Give A Darn. I don't think those are Asian names either.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Public disturbances yes and they shouldn't carry the possibility of jail sentences.

Like the law as written literally means you could go to jail for telling someone to gently caress off on twitter.

Or it carries a fine, much like what this guy is facing. Which lets be honest he not going to jail he's going to pay a fine for being an rear end in a top hat which society has decided is perfectly acceptable, outside of the type of people who say an armed society is a polite society.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Who What Now posted:

The other players are Tomorrow, Today, Why, and I Don't Give A Darn. I don't think those are Asian names either.

Yeah this is one of those cases where someone was looking for an angle that just isn't there.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
this was a thing not too long ago so it's probably easy to misunderstand the who's on first routine. a lot of vaudville was based in absurd misunderstandings

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/wholesomememe?lang=en

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Or it carries a fine, much like what this guy is facing. Which lets be honest he not going to jail he's going to pay a fine for being an rear end in a top hat which society has decided is perfectly acceptable, outside of the type of people who say an armed society is a polite society.

A minimal fine and no criminal record I might consider appropriate.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

boner confessor posted:

this was a thing not too long ago so it's probably easy to misunderstand the who's on first routine. a lot of vaudville was based in absurd misunderstandings

Much like this other classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS2aEfbEi7s

Which conveniently also manages to be funny produce a smirk, it has that power, without being hurtful or spending 3 minutes yelling about killing non-whites.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Is this the new 9GAG?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crain posted:

Which conveniently also manages to be funny produce a smirk, it has that power, without being hurtful or spending 3 minutes yelling about killing non-whites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7pMYHn-1yA

OwlFancier posted:

i'll notify the scottish police that you've decided on an appropriate punishment in this case

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eh, fair enough, it was a bit of a reach, and like I said, I was playing Devil's Advocate, I don't actually think it's a hurtful routine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

i'll notify the scottish police that you've decided on an appropriate punishment in this case

gently caress off with that.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

He'll pay a fine ave now have to explain to potential employers about why he was convicted of hate speech, maybe just maybe he shouldn't have been a dick and avoided all of this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KomradeX posted:

He'll pay a fine ave now have to explain to potential employers about why he was convicted of hate speech, maybe just maybe he shouldn't have been a dick and avoided all of this.

Maybe justice being arbitrarily and unequally punitive is loving idiotic?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe justice being arbitrarily and unequally punitive is loving idiotic?

it's equally idiotic to use the nature of inequally applied justice to argue that there should be no repercussions for crimes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

it's equally idiotic to use the nature of inequally applied justice to argue that there should be no repercussions for crimes

What part of "a small fine and no criminal record" do you parse as "no repercussions"?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crain posted:

You know what would really make this funny? If they made some very hilarious jokes about Costello did this because he was a cheap, stingy Jew! Man, that would have been a laugh riot!

Wait, no, not funny, the other thing. Humor-killing, that's it! Man, maybe there was a reason they didn't do jokes like that! Probably because they weren't funny then and aren't funny now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lol that this thread gets mega salty about eighty year old vaudeville bits as well as the idea that teaching a dog to hate jews might be punishable in a court of law

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think dogs can be antisemitic it might be a slightly too complicated concept for them to grasp.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Was there a big argument when that french Nazi "comedian" got in trouble for being a Nazi in France? He invented an upside down heil salute which got by everyone let me tell you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think dogs can be antisemitic it might be a slightly too complicated concept for them to grasp.

i said dogs, not brits

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

i said dogs, not brits

Please stop doing more damage to the concept of 'joke'

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

That's probably why the dog isn't the one being punished.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Who What Now posted:

That's probably why the dog isn't the one being punished.

Not by the state at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

There was the big thing a while back that police dogs were being trained to be racist, and it's been known for a long time in places like South Africa that dogs owned by racists tend to be racist.

Maybe antisemitism is a bit more complicated for them to pick up on, but the alt right manage it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dogs cannot be antisemitic on account of being Very Good Boys and Girls, please do not even entertain the thought.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Who What Now posted:

I love when you Kramer into the thread to defend Nazis because you wind up saying some really dumb poo poo like this.

Jokes and humour are the product of paradoxes and contradictions exploring expectations, societal norms, and cultural and personal identities. So they'll often be at odds with the people who identify with said norms. Challeging said identities is the very function of humour, that of exploring the gap, creating a libidinal distance, between a norm and it's contradictory effects. This often leads to offense to some people. It's part and parcel of modern culture that one should be able to 'laugh at one self'.

What I mean is that offence is very much involved in jokes altough not always and not necessarily, but I don't believe there is a strictly 'safe' type of humour where you aren't phrone to offend anyone. You don't need to be a racist shithole to acknowledge this, which is what your strawmen of Kramer seems to point to.

Nazi pug idiot, repeated 'gass the jew's too many times in his dumb video, that what might have initially been a kind of funny dog video gradually turned into crappy edgelordiness. Still, I think arresting him for this is too much, especially if it's a first time offense, which it might not be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There was the big thing a while back that police dogs were being trained to be racist, and it's been known for a long time in places like South Africa that dogs owned by racists tend to be racist.

Maybe antisemitism is a bit more complicated for them to pick up on, but the alt right manage it.

I did say "slightly".

Racist I can get but unless you have a lot of Orthodox around you'd have trouble, and you'd probably also end up with a dog that hates barristers.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Midig posted:

Is this the new 9GAG?

I haven't the slightest idea what a 9GAG is. :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I haven't the slightest idea what a 9GAG is. :colbert:

Image meme hosting site.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, uh, I have no idea what's going in here but Contra has a new video. It's part of a series, too. I can't wait to see more on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGTDhutW_us

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

Image meme hosting site.

Looked down upon by meme "elitists" who don't realize how absurd that notion is.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

9gag is the new ebaumsworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

So, uh, I have no idea what's going in here but Contra has a new video. It's part of a series, too. I can't wait to see more on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGTDhutW_us

drat, this video is extremely relevant to the conversation of the past few pages. It's almost spooky.

• Locked thread