Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I guess I will mentally take the asterisk off the vengeance pally's 60 damage turn of which I was supremely jealous but for me this doesn't change much as with a +1 str I don't hit poo poo in the first place. I need those spell slots for putting nere-do-wells to sleep and reflex shielding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Krinkle posted:

I don't think you can smite twice in a turn. I haven't, at least. If you cast a spell in your bonus action you can only cast cantrips in your main action, for example. It seems to imply you can only ever use one spell slot per round. monks and sorcs can go nuts with the point systems but spell slots are bottlenecked. It would be nice to be able to divine smite as many times as I connect, a round, but I'm not sure it's allowed?

Booming Blade is a cantrip, and Divine Smite doesn't count as spellcasting. Nothing in the description says you can only use it once per round. That's how Paladins nova.

An alternative cheapo character is a grapple-stacked Barbarian who just grapples then prones enemies constantly. They can't get up from prone while grappled because they have 0 movement, and you can cave their faces in with a handaxe or longsword or whatever with advantage. The other old standby is a Fighter with Archery style, Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, just go akimbo hand crossbows and end up with like 3d6+39 damage or whatever.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 31, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Krinkle posted:

I don't think you can smite twice in a turn. I haven't, at least. If you cast a spell in your bonus action you can only cast cantrips in your main action, for example. It seems to imply you can only ever use one spell slot per round. monks and sorcs can go nuts with the point systems but spell slots are bottlenecked. It would be nice to be able to divine smite as many times as I connect, a round, but I'm not sure it's allowed?

Pretty sure Booming Blade is a cantrip, so casting it as a Bonus Action (using Quickened) and an Action should be legit. Also, what about Divine Smite's text would imply it's only once per round?

e;fb

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Razorwired posted:

If you REALLY wanna be passive aggressive and gently caress with the DM pull this on him.

Show up with a Lore Bard.

As soon as the game starts cast Leomund's Tiny Hut and invite the players inside.

Spend the entire session roleplaying your Bard giving the party a little reprieve with a friendly game of cards.

Bust out snacks and your favorite deck builder. If the DM tries to take snacks tell him that he can't because he's not in the scene and that would be metagaming.

At the end of the game, grab the players you like from that table and form a new game.
Have your character DM a game of pathfinder in his hut and caricature the main DM.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Razorwired posted:

If you REALLY wanna be passive aggressive and gently caress with the DM pull this on him.

Show up with a Lore Bard.

As soon as the game starts cast Leomund's Tiny Hut and invite the players inside.

Spend the entire session roleplaying your Bard giving the party a little reprieve with a friendly game of cards.

Bust out snacks and your favorite deck builder. If the DM tries to take snacks tell him that he can't because he's not in the scene and that would be metagaming.

At the end of the game, grab the players you like from that table and form a new game.

I kind of want to do this minus the passive aggression in my own game. I'm pretty sure everyone including the DM would think it was pretty funny.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Ok, I guess it never occurred to me to just print it. Thanks!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Something's gotta be wearing thin on Crawford lately -- dude has been really snarky.

Latest story on the pile, I told him about that mess with the Lore Master last night and he just replied "it's a good thing it's not part of the game then!"

And like.... yeah, but you guys specifically put that poo poo out for us to play it and try it out and my game is suffering for it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
WotC isn't a particularly nice place to work, and dealing with the shitshow that is 5e probably doesn't help either.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
having to answer RAW questions for a game as shoddy as 5e would age me right the gently caress up, too

And UA is specifically designed to absolve them of any responsibility to put out quality work, so

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

"it's a good thing it's not part of the game then!"

Imagine if you did this at your job. A customer has a problem, and your response is just, "nope." dandwiki becomes less ridiculous with every UA article.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man, what magical land of plenty do you guys live in where you can just dump playing with a table after 1 bad night? It took me loving months to find people I could play with outside of childhood friends on roll20.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Garl_Grimm posted:

Imagine if you did this at your job. A customer has a problem, and your response is just, "nope."

You've never called IT?

Edit: this being SA I should probably frame this the other way: You've never done this in your IT job?

Garl_Grimm
Apr 13, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

You've never called IT?

Edit: this being SA I should probably frame this the other way: You've never done this in your IT job?

Nope.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This is directed to the thread at large. I grew up playing Rifts which is lol levels of fuckery for a system and except for an excessively home brewed ADnD campaign that I didn't know was based on DnD until after the fact, I didn't have much involvement with the system until 5e.

I'm completely agnostic on which version is best or better and have had fun with 5e, but there seems to be a consistent under current in thread about 5e being a poo poo show or just objectively inferior to older versions.

Is there any kind of summary that could be given to explain how you guys got here or just an article that you could link to that says it for you? Genuinely just curious to what informed the thread's opinion. From lurking for awhile now it seems part of it is directly tied to the personalities that dev'd the edition but I feel like there is more to it than that.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Seconded. 5e is the first system I learned, and it seems way more fun than what I've seen of 4e, which just seems boring. I know there are balance issues between the classes, with the wizard being way overpowered and some classes not getting much to do at higher levels, but honestly I've never played a campaign beyond level 9 anyway.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
5e iterates on 3e while ignoring almost all of the lessons of 4e.

That said, if you're happy with what you're playing, don't worry about it too much.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
theory crafting: if your bbeg opponent in a campaign is indestructible and takes minimal to zero damage from attacks, what are good end runs to kill him?

I'm thinking of drowning , suffocation, anything else? he's super strong too so just getting him incapacitated is going to be really hard.

I'm sure our DM will end up with us on a quest to remove this guy's protections but hey I'm all for cheap wins earlier than expected

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They seemed to focus on "feeling like dnd" over mechanical soundness - there are a number of rough edges. This is the first edition I've ever played/DMed seriously and I'm less than impressed. There's plenty of things in the old rulebooks that sound like a pain in the rear end, but thoughtfulness of the design compared to what I've looked at of 4e is...lacking.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

This is directed to the thread at large. I grew up playing Rifts which is lol levels of fuckery for a system and except for an excessively home brewed ADnD campaign that I didn't know was based on DnD until after the fact, I didn't have much involvement with the system until 5e.

I'm completely agnostic on which version is best or better and have had fun with 5e, but there seems to be a consistent under current in thread about 5e being a poo poo show or just objectively inferior to older versions.

Is there any kind of summary that could be given to explain how you guys got here or just an article that you could link to that says it for you? Genuinely just curious to what informed the thread's opinion. From lurking for awhile now it seems part of it is directly tied to the personalities that dev'd the edition but I feel like there is more to it than that.

I'm very much a D&Dilettante, so I don't speak from deep experience. I see people pointing out a lot of rule inconsistencies, conflicts, and bad editorial decisions in the rulebooks, more than I see from other editions. That being said, those problems all seem like the kind of thing that players and DMs should easily be able to come to a compromise about. I personally prefer 5e's generally streamlined approach, which pretty explicitly expects players to not lawyer too hard. 3e is probably more extensible and you could do more simulation with it if you wanted, but it's also kind of a bear to navigate and teach.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

mastershakeman posted:

theory crafting: if your bbeg opponent in a campaign is indestructible and takes minimal to zero damage from attacks, what are good end runs to kill him?

I'm thinking of drowning , suffocation, anything else? he's super strong too so just getting him incapacitated is going to be really hard.

I'm sure our DM will end up with us on a quest to remove this guy's protections but hey I'm all for cheap wins earlier than expected

Flesh to Stone, True Polymorph, Imprisonment are all p good options if you have the spells and slots, esp if you can somehow inflict disadvantage on the save. If you have two casters with 9th level spells, True Polymorph (or heck even regular Polymorph) plus Power Word Kill is OP.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Time Cowboy posted:

Seconded. 5e is the first system I learned, and it seems way more fun than what I've seen of 4e, which just seems boring. I know there are balance issues between the classes, with the wizard being way overpowered and some classes not getting much to do at higher levels, but honestly I've never played a campaign beyond level 9 anyway.

Ok well first let me answer your question with another question. What are you looking to get out of the game? because we're pretty much living in the golden age of RPG design and there are tons of well made games for every playstyle and game goal. The only actual reasons to play D&D 5e is if you are looking to play the current edition of D&D no matter what or if it's literally the only thing people will play.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Time Cowboy posted:

Try running games of both editions, and I bet you'll change your tune.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Reclaimer posted:

Flesh to Stone, True Polymorph, Imprisonment are all p good options if you have the spells and slots, esp if you can somehow inflict disadvantage on the save. If you have two casters with 9th level spells, True Polymorph (or heck even regular Polymorph) plus Power Word Kill is OP.

good suggestions but I'm trying to avoid spells. I have a suspicion that they won't work or else it'd be too easy.

for reference we killed this guy's brother (who had gone invisible and has stayed invis a week after death which is weird) by putting a bucket of blood over a door and ambushing him once we could see where he was. I'm thinking ridiculous poo poo like lassos and nets

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

mastershakeman posted:

good suggestions but I'm trying to avoid spells. I have a suspicion that they won't work or else it'd be too easy.

for reference we killed this guy's brother (who had gone invisible and has stayed invis a week after death which is weird) by putting a bucket of blood over a door and ambushing him once we could see where he was. I'm thinking ridiculous poo poo like lassos and nets

Get the Muscle to grapple then prone him in a square with shallow water so he drowns. He has to use his own action to break the grapple or just stay down there, and he cannot stand up until he breaks the grapple. The rest of the party can join in on the grapple too, so he has to break multiple grapples before he can stop drowning, and whichever people he shakes off can just grapple him again on their turns.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dameius posted:

It's mostly because it came on the heels of 4E, which was a marked departure for the franchise after 3/3.5. This led to two things happening:

1) Nerds hated it, oh lord do nerds ever hate change
2) SA's hivemind saw the cool things about the system and circled the wagons reactively due to 1)

Now, in my opinion (and this is going to make a lot of people here frown slightly and probably think less of me), but as a DM I think 5E is pretty much neck and neck with 4E in terms of editions. It's just so streamlined. There are absolutely rules and layout issues with the 5E books, but that's absolutely true of every edition (even 4E, which has just absurdly, completely loving broken math in major sections of the book that only got band-aids rather than real fixes and then only in the DMG2 and MM3. Like, the whole system was built around balance, but then it threw in a system for Skill Challenges that wavered between "impossible" and "impossible to fail" depending on level because someone hosed up their probability homework.).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Reclaimer posted:

Get the Muscle to grapple then prone him in a square with shallow water so he drowns. He has to use his own action to break the grapple or just stay down there, and he cannot stand up until he breaks the grapple. The rest of the party can join in on the grapple too, so he has to break multiple grapples before he can stop drowning, and whichever people he shakes off can just grapple him again on their turns.

nice, now that's what I'm tolkien about

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

mastershakeman posted:

Is this evil dude living in a doom fortress or a normal city, and does he need to sleep and eat? Basically, what do you know about him?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mastershakeman posted:

Divination Wizard to make him fail his saves, and then save or die or trap him in a demiplane or whatever.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is this evil dude living in a doom fortress or a normal city, and does he need to sleep and eat? Basically, what do you know about him?

He's campaigning at the front of his army, we're defending civilization from him. ran into him once and got chumped and fled. He's directly powered up by a god but I don't think he's an avatar. No idea if he needs to eat or sleep, I'm hoping he needs to breathe.

Theres a high chance he's going to be immune to the spells we're capable of throwing at him. we're extremely light in spellcasting partly due to irl drama and a player quitting.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 31, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

but as a DM I think 5E is pretty much neck and neck with 4E in terms of editions. It's just so streamlined.

I seriously cannot wrap my head around the idea that CR and building monsters as PCs is somehow more "streamlined" than MM3 on a business card.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Big Black Brony posted:

Anyone have a good system for handling monster stat blocks as a dm? I've started writing them out on index cards but it's very time consuming and if they have any more than a few abilities I lose space quick.

I'm late to this but this is pretty good. Good for spells too.

http://hardcodex.ru/monsters/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

I seriously cannot wrap my head around the idea that CR and building monsters as PCs is somehow more "streamlined" than MM3 on a business card.

The Gynosphinx has spell slots and it needs to use them to cast Tongues and Heroes Feast.

Heroes Feast! How the gently caress is that simplified?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dameius posted:

This is going to down as overly harsh because I wasn't "watching my tone" when I wrote this, but:

quote:

5e is a badly designed game.

The saving throw system is a loving sham. Each ability score is its own saving throw, and classes are generally "proficient" at two of them. Except the vast majority of spells target either the Dexterity save, the Constitution save, or the Wisdom save, which means if you the Fighter are proficient in Strength and Constitution, or you the Bard are proficient in Dexterity and Charisma, then the Strength and Charisma saves are largely useless because you never get to use them!

It's like they really wanted to keep using Reflex (Dexterity) saves, Fortitude (Constitution) saves and Will (Wisdom) saves, but couldn't because they needed to be different, and then having already committed to tying it to the ability scores, they must have thought, gently caress it, let's include the other three as well! So you've got a Fighter that has good saving throws in Fortitude/Constitution and, quelle surprise, bad saving throws in Reflex/Dexterity and Will/Wisdom saves! Just like in 3e! But you have three other numbers that you have to keep track of anyway!

The combat mechanics are a step backwards. We're back to a gentleman's agreement between the DM and the Player to please not have all the Orcs run past the Fighter after he's used his one Opportunity Attack. They've only just recently begun making a dent in this with the Unearthed Arcana articles, but taking the Knight archetype (if your DM allows it) means you get to miss out on the interactivity of a Battlemaster's Superiority Dice anyway.

And speaking of the Battlemaster, how hosed-up is it that the Champion, whose one and only job it is is to swing at dudes and kill them, still cannot output more damage than a Battlemaster unless the DM is egregiously violating the number of encounters between Short Rests?

The healing mechanics are a step backwards. Clerics are back to spending Standard Actions to play healbot, and the tight, logical interaction of Healing Surges with the intra-day encounter mechanics was just entirely taken out. Credit to 5e for a lack of solid crafting rules so that you don't have to worry about the players making Wands of Cure Light Wounds anymore, but even the Healing Hit Dice design makes just about zero sense: it's always the rough equivalent of your health, and gaining more levels only means you get finer control over when and how you get to spend it.

At level 1, you have 8 HP, and you have a single 1d8 Healing Hit Dice. At level 5, you have 8 + 4d8 HP, and 5d8 Healing Hit Dice. It doesn't give you more longevity, but it doesn't really get any better either - you just waste less of it as each Die starts representing a progressively smaller proportion of your health.

Which brings me to my next point that Mike Mearls does not have a single innovative bone in his body. The Healing Hit Dice is a direct rip-off of Reserve Points from Iron Heroes, except worse, because these Healing Hit Dice in 5e are rolled, so a level 1 Bard with 8 HP can't choose to restore just the 4 HP now and the 4 HP later. And Iron Heroes's Reserve Points itself was lifted out of 3e's Unearthed Arcana.

The simplification of the Vancian spell system so that slots are no longer tied to spells? Yet another copy-paste from Unearthed Arcana, page 153.

They still haven't meaningfully iterated upon the feat system, where Lucky is competing with Sentinel is competing with Tavern Brawler is competing with loving Linguist.

They're still running on a system of 5-foot squares and measurements, despite telling people that you can totally run the game gridless.

The damage/health ratios are a complete step backwards, where you've got level 1 characters with 8-12 HP fighting goblins that still deal 1d6 damage on a hit.

The naturalistic language makes a total mess of trying to run the game "RAW", because there's just so much of it that you either have to fill in yourself or else it doesn't make any sense. Unarmed Attacks had to go through at least two different sets of errata, and woe betide the player that thinks Bonus Action means "an Action, but another one as a bonus"

And that's not even covering the entire swathes of the DMG that were just copy-pasted from earlier books, the equipment list that has you spending individual copper coins on pieces of loving chalk when you start with 100 GP, the Unearthed Arcana where they couldn't be bothered to fix a math mistake from over a decade ago, and all the "balance" issues like the book Ranger being a piece of poo poo, the Berserker Barbarian being a piece of poo poo, and the entire goddamned dynamic of casters still being strictly superior to martial classes.

Now, to be the least bit fair, it's not really hard to "bolt on" whatever pieces of homebrewed design you want to in an attempt to fix these issues. Set the confusing naturalistic language in stone, per your interpretation, for your home game. Copy over the Tome of Battle Maneuvers and give them to the Fighter. Limit the Wizard to only learning spells from scrolls that you as the DM deign to let them have.

But if you're going to play armchair designer, you can download a copy of Basic Fantasy for free and use that instead. Won't cost you a dime.

And if you're a newcomer to the genre, it's downright execrable to ask someone to play armchair designer by dead reckoning. How do they even know what the issues are that they need to fix, much less know how to fix them?

And that, for me, is the core of my problem with 5th edition. I played it three separate times. The first resulted in a TPK. The second also in a TPK. Before I did the third I rolled up my shirtsleeves and redesigned the monster math from the ground up. Ran it again. Great session that time - an hour of medieval mystery to search for a stolen locket followed by a short dungeon crawl to clean out a Druid's grove of corrupting cultists. Finished on time, with a satisfying resolution, the players hurt and tense but not completely broken.

After that I stopped - because if I needed to put in that much work to make it work, the designers weren't doing their drat jobs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

P.d0t posted:

MM3 on a business card isn't exactly a core book, dude. MM3 itself came out two years after the game proper and most DMs I know never bought it (hell, I didn't, and I have a full bookshelf of 4E stuff. It's not like I didn't enjoy the game then.). And, uh, if people are talking about streamlining a game, they might not be as concerned with building monsters as you'd think. I just reskin/alter what's there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MM3 on a business card isn't exactly a core book, dude. MM3 itself came out two years after the game proper and most DMs I know never bought it (hell, I didn't, and I have a full bookshelf of 4E stuff. It's not like I didn't enjoy the game then.). And, uh, if people are talking about streamlining a game, they might not be as concerned with building monsters as you'd think. I just reskin/alter what's there.

It's not relevant to the point if MM3 on a business card wasn't there when the 4e books first came out. What is relevant is that the design paradigm was extant by the time they were designing 5e, and they deliberately chose to go back to a model that's significantly more inconvenient for the GM to run.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
^This guy gets it. 5e could have been a refinement of the best that 4e had to offer in terms of DM tools; as it is, I'd rather run 4e as it existed at the end of its life cycle than run 5e as it exists, what, 5 years after that?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not relevant to the point if MM3 on a business card wasn't there when the 4e books first came out. What is relevant is that the design paradigm was extant by the time they were designing 5e, and they deliberately chose to go back to a model that's significantly more inconvenient for the GM to run.

It's also not like they didn't have access to designers who were cognizant of these things and capable of generating good designs- I mean Robert Schwalb was one of the designers and Shadow of the Demon Lord is so much better at doing everything 5th edition claims as a strength than actual 5th edition that it's hilarious. It's also vastly better supported in terms of ancillary content than D&D 5E despite being produced by his own small imprint rather than loving WotC/Hasbro.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sorry, but I ran three games of 4E in that two year period, it's absolutely relevant to what I was saying. And the CR system is flawed here but it was nonsense there unless you wanted every combat to involve plinking away for hours. I don't see it as "significantly more inconvenient" to run, either, because the game itself flows much better (again: in my experience) when everyone isn't obsessing over how to best synergize their push/pull abilities for ten minutes a turn. I mean, your mileage may vary, but from personal experience my group regularly clears out half a dungeon floor in a session where my longest-running 4E group (with less players, so less complicated fights with less participants) very rarely rarely got through more than one encounter in the same amount of time.

5E is really far from perfect but I've genuinely come to enjoy running it more than I did with 4E. I think it's really a matter of expectations - 4E has, hands-down, the meatiest and most satisfying combat of any iteration of the game yet - I'd go so far as to say it's one of the best tactical battle systems in tabletop games, period. And combat is obviously the thrust of D&D, it's what most of the rules are based around, whatever. But it's not all there is - my players like a game where the threat of combat is always looming but it's focused on exploration and discovery first and foremost. That's cool, I like that. 5E lets us play that game without a single combat derailing a whole night. I know there are groups out there that would rather have every encounter be a super intense tactical battle where everyone is using all of their fifteen options, but for me and my groups we found it a little too heavy.

Plus, for what its worth, the first several years of published adventures for 4E were absolute garbage. I don't run straight-up published adventures but I like cribbing stuff from them, and things like Keep on the Shadowfell and Pyramid of Shadows were dire. I'm pretty fond of OotA and CoS in 5E.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

my players like a game where the threat of combat is always looming but it's focused on exploration and discovery first and foremost. That's cool, I like that. 5E lets us play that game without a single combat derailing a whole night.

So why not play a better game that actually has this as a focus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Elfgames posted:

So why not play a better game that actually has this as a focus?

Because despite what this board has told you, none of 5E's flaws are nearly as insurmountable at the table as everyone likes to make them out to be here.

Again, since you don't seem to be really parsing this crucial bit of information: my group enjoys playing 5E. I enjoy running it. Why would we play something else?

If we wanted something lighter, we'd play Dungeon/Inverse World, if we wanted something crunchier we'd break the 4E books back out, but we are genuinely enjoying our game, I promise that we are not actually pretending to be elves wrong.