Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So I don't think I've ever read a Youngblood comic, but the art style on the new one that starts this week is a style that caught my eye. It's pretty much the opposite of what Youngblood has looked like in the past from my experience of only looking at bad Liefeld covers. Is the writer any good? I don't think I've ever read anything by Chad Bowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He wrote the really fun X-Men '92 that got cut tragically short, so I'm giving it a shot based on that alone.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Man, I just read the last HC for Chew.

Man.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've only read Bowers' collaborations with Chris Sims, but they're always fun. I don't know how much of that is Bowers and how much is Sims, but it sounds like it's worth checking out. I'm curious about the artist since Liefeld found him on Deviantart, so while his designs and linework might be good (and it does look like it!), I'd like to see his storytelling.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm a bit late on this, but read GodShaper.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB171285

It's another Simon Spicer comic, and an interesting setup. Gas and electric powered devices stopped working, but everyone has their own personal god. The gods can do various things, like freeze things, x-ray vision, etc (for example, one background character fed cream into one god, to make it into an ice-cream machine). The main character was 1 in 1,000 who does not have their own personal god. This makes him an outcast. However, he can "shape" the gods. Make them look different, reconfigure their powers, etc. However, he's also teamed up with an abandoned god, and together they rob people.

It's an interesting setup, and it has amazing colors in the issue. I'm waiting for #2 to drop, and telling my shop to subscribe me to it today.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also the artist's name is GOONFACE

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Paper Girls got some official shirts now

They're pretty rad looking. I wouldn't mind getting them.

Edit - As for the indies themselves, Manifest Destiny and Paper Girls were both good issues, as I expect them to be. Eternal Empire doesn't seem to be my thing at all. It felt like a bad web comic to me.

Youngblood was honestly pretty good. Nothing spectacular, but it is fun, and I want to read at least the first arc.

Roth fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 4, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I actually finally just read Godshaper and yeah that's a really cool book. It did a good job world building without getting in the way of the story, which seems really interesting. I'm definitely on board.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I've only read Bowers' collaborations with Chris Sims, but they're always fun. I don't know how much of that is Bowers and how much is Sims, but it sounds like it's worth checking out. I'm curious about the artist since Liefeld found him on Deviantart, so while his designs and linework might be good (and it does look like it!), I'd like to see his storytelling.

Speaking of Sims and Bowers, Swordquest #0 is out and free on comixology, and is pretty different from what I read of their other work. The premise itself is also not what you'd expect from a comic based on a videogame, but makes a whole lot of sense.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Swordquest cost a quarter at my shop (and it sounded like they were sent a whole lot at my shop), so I picked it up. Haven't read it yet. Is there going to be a bunch of these? Do we know what titles if so?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's also Centipede from Max Bemis.
https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/193290-Dynamite-Announces-Centipede-The-Latest-in-Their-Atari-Comics

Not sure if anything else's been announced.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone get yourself to a comic shop today for 'I Hate Image' alone.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 6, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I was the first one in my shop today (because an employee misinformed me about opening time) and I'd never seen the full assortment of free comics before they'd been picked over. Grabbed about 50 different issues, because the store loves me, and because between me and my daughters, we have pretty wide ranging tastes.

If you like Mouse Guard be sure to grab the Boom Summer Blast It does not advertise the fact that it has a new original Mouse Guard story in it, except for that tiny Saxon on the shoulder of the girl on the front cover, but it's there on page 1.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Instead of going to FCBD, I went to Barnes & Noble and bought the first 3 trades of Descender :cheers:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everyone get yourself to a comic shop today for 'I Hate Image' alone.

The Dark Horse one was pretty bad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My local shop had a "two FCBD issues for each adult" policy, so I got Incal and 2000 AD. Doubt many kids were scrambling for those, anyway.

They also had a 50% off sale for old titles so picked up the first volume of Fatale, since I've been enjoying Kill or Be Killed and liked the few other Brubaker things I've read before.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
This month's Astro City was about a cat with superpowers and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Next two issues are supposed to bring movement on the Broken Man story that's been running since the new series started in 2013 and I'm excited about that too!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Curse Words is amazing and drops a few bombs in this issue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wicked and the Divine 455 answers the question of what happens after two years are up. D:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wicked and the Divine 455 answers the question of what happens after two years are up. D:

Mainly just came here to say holy poo poo wicdiv!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How much more does W+D have? I wanna read the whole thing but only when I can read the whole thing.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

zoux posted:

How much more does W+D have? I wanna read the whole thing but only when I can read the whole thing.

I think the aim is around 50 issues, plus 6 specials. So a couple more years probably.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought it was wrapping up for some reason. Oh well.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Curse Words is amazing and drops a few bombs in this issue.

Yeah, I thought it was a very satisfying end to the first arc and has me excited for more. I always tell people Curse Words isn't the best comic out there these days, but it is definitely the coolest.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading Usagi Yojimbo with my son. Holy gently caress this book is so good.

Also the Dark Horse Conan (not with my son). Kurt Busiek writes (adapts) fantasy comics really well. I love the idea of going back to the Howards material and using that as the basis for a full run. Conan is a Bad Dude but he's such a fun Bad Dude to read about.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New Über is out.

Bleak as always for the allies, but it ends with a promise of great things to come.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Are there are any cool new indie series starting soon? My pull list is a bit light.

Unrelated to that, what's up with Nowhere Men right now?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

frameset posted:

Are there are any cool new indie series starting soon? My pull list is a bit light.

Gail Simone has a spy series called Crosswind starting next month I think.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

frameset posted:

I was just reviewing my Comixology subs and the next issue is listed as February 28, 2018 so it's either another hiatus or they're planning for the long-term.

I'm not sure what's starting soon (aside from some new BPRD), but my recent subs include Royal City, Grass Kings, Ether, and Extremity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

New Über is out.

Bleak as always for the allies, but it ends with a promise of great things to come.

Also despite Leah on the cover, she's not in it at all! Fakeout!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also despite Leah on the cover, she's not in it at all! Fakeout!

The covers this arc were deliberately chosen to have nothing to do with the issue contents. That said, the payoff for Okinawa was amazing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Uber Invasion 6 talk: Patton is loving hilarious. My understanding is this depiction has a fair basis in reality, yet his attitude still comes across as cartoonishly grandiose. I hope he's planning to decapitate or cripple what little industry Germany has left rather than a terror attack; I'd like the Allies to maintain at least some moral superiority.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Neurosis posted:

Uber Invasion 6 talk: Patton is loving hilarious. My understanding is this depiction has a fair basis in reality, yet his attitude still comes across as cartoonishly grandiose. I hope he's planning to decapitate or cripple what little industry Germany has left rather than a terror attack; I'd like the Allies to maintain at least some moral superiority.

Yeah that Patton is spot on from my understanding. I'm not entirely sure what he's going to do with the Alps, but my guess is he's going to take as many tank men as they've got and try for a decapitation strike of some sort, possibly using the snow as cover, or maybe he wants to see if a Battleship can survive an avalanche...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
On my phone and can't be bothered with the spoiler thingy ATM, HERE IT BE ÜBER #6 SPOILERS

Wouldn't be surprised if Patton will try to link up with the forces in northern Italy and then dash right through the Balkans to burn the Romanian oilfields. But a strike north towards Ruhr is probably more likely.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chinston Wurchill posted:

my recent subs include Royal City, Grass Kings, Ether, and Extremity.

I've been enjoying Royal City so far, but when Jeff Lemire has complete control he tends to nail it. Extremity's first couple issues had me pretty happy, but that sequence in the third issue with the leviathan was definitely the highlight of that day's comic reading.
I haven't read the other two, but Grass Kings is on my radar at least while Ether is a mystery.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Saga #43 cam out this week (at price of only 99 cents, at least on comixology). I'm still liking this series.

my main thoughts while reading it were; is that Zebra thing inspired by the old Fruit Stripes Gum Mascot?

and when I got to page 20, Holy poo poo (literally!)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It's so hard to pass up on things like this when you read stuff in trades. (Walking Dead also had something major spoiled for me in the first page of Image+ this week since I only read the yearly hardcovers).

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

The_Other posted:

Saga #43 cam out this week (at price of only 99 cents, at least on comixology). I'm still liking this series.
It was an emotional boomerang going from the bleak gutpunch of last issue's ending to having a guilty chuckle at the gallows humor of the newest issue's opening page.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I got the Complete Phonogram for my birthday and it's bloody lovely. Rue Brittania looks great in colour, it's got all the B-Sides and it's just a lovely object to have. Absolutely recommended for Phonogram or Gillen/McKelvie fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just found out today when visiting my local comic shop that IDW is putting out a continuation of Paul Cornell's old Vertigo comic Saucer Country, renamed Saucer State. I'm super excited, I loved Saucer Country and had absolutely no idea this was coming.