Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

#LibDemFightBack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Headline on the Telegraph site right now lol:

"Amber Rudd: Theresa May’s saviour... or her successor?"

Tories move fast!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I... might actually have to buy one of those as it would suit me well and I need another print tee.

What's the sizing like?

I dunno, small medium large?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That poll is YouGovs normal polling method btw, not the new model they've been experimenting with the past few days

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Not Operator posted:

Did May give a reason for no-showing? Her earlier snipe against Corbyn made it sound like she was planning to sit in a dark room for an hour to calculate the many facets of brexit like a loving current day mentat, but I somehow doubt that's it.
May is pretty far from any kind of mentat tbf. Her official reason was "I'm too busy making sure Brexit (which I think is a great idea) doesn't become a loving terrible disaster to participate in this debate, even though I wasn't too busy to call this election in the first place"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We just need everyone voting Lib Dem to stop being such melts and join the Good Guys.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So I know the question "How do the Express get away with this?" could be asked of every single square cm of the paper but seriously:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/870025076325875712

How do they get away with that price thing?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

We just need everyone voting Lib Dem to stop being such melts and join the Good Guys.

Looking at the polls over the last few weeks I think that's the plan already.....

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hoops posted:

That's missing a syllable isn't it? Would it not have to be

Vote

For
Je
re
my
Cor

byn

I want to hear this song.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Monopoly chat: My family set had wooden houses and hotels, the player pieces, boot, dog, etc were the same wooden blocks with a 2d paper token wedged in it. My parents always told me the reason everyone else had metal playing pieces was because our set came from my grandparents who had donated their monopoly pieces to be melted down into spitfires to win the war.

It is only now I am suddenly questioning this... can anyone confirm this was a policy at the time and my monopoly set is not a whole 'nother lie my parents have perpetrated upon me?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Snipee posted:

I want to hear this song.
You have mate, it's loving seven nation army by the white stripes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Alright well if the gap's closing to 3% then this might actually start to get interesting...

loving hell though, plane's running out of runway fast.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

It goes like this

Doo do do do doo doo

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

TheRat posted:

That poll is YouGovs normal polling method btw, not the new model they've been experimenting with the past few days

What's the difference in methods?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Alright well if the gap's closing to 3% then this might actually start to get interesting...

loving hell though, plane's running out of runway fast.

20% to 3% in a few weeks, and today's May noshow isn't factored in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

I dunno, small medium large?

I was meaning do they run small or large, like American XLs are loving massive on me.

I got one anyway, looks baller and it's for charity so why not.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ. If this is replicated in other polls I will totally stop caring how the gently caress I do in my exams next week. Though tbf neither of those things is at all likely it seems at this point.

e: my most :tinfoil: inner self really wonders if Yougov does this poo poo just to try and scare more Tory voters out

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can feel something massive happening in the next week.

May resigns as Tory leader the day before the election?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Monopoly chat: My family set had wooden houses and hotels, the player pieces, boot, dog, etc were the same wooden blocks with a 2d paper token wedged in it. My parents always told me the reason everyone else had metal playing pieces was because our set came from my grandparents who had donated their monopoly pieces to be melted down into spitfires to win the war.

It is only now I am suddenly questioning this... can anyone confirm this was a policy at the time and my monopoly set is not a whole 'nother lie my parents have perpetrated upon me?

There were scrap metal donation drives in WW2 for all sorts of war industries, so maybe

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

spectralent posted:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/869928427473838080

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

spectralent posted:

I think this is a traditional poll of about 2,000 people whereas their election model attempts to use more localised data and ongoing interviews to derive movement on a per-contituency basis and derives vote share from it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dunno, but it seems to me that a) the amount of metal in all monopoly sets in England would likely amount to the necessary materials for one plane tops (and even that seems questionable), and b) I don't think they made monopoly pieces and fighter planes out of the same sort of metal.

EDIT: Could have been some kind of symbolic thing, of course.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 31, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

I can feel something massive happening in the next week.

May resigns as Tory leader the day before the election?

At this point it might help their campaign.

Cerebral Bore posted:

I dunno, but it seems to me that a) the amount of metal in all monopoly sets in England would likely amount to the necessary materials for one plane tops (and even that seems questionable), and b) I don't think they made monopoly pieces and fighter planes out of the same sort of metal.

If I recall they had people donating pots and pans and all sorts. Just because they donated them doesn't mean they used them and "give up your monopoly pieces" sounds like the kind of daft thing someone would do.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

El Grillo posted:

Jesus Christ. If this is replicated in other polls I will totally stop caring how the gently caress I do in my exams next week. Though tbf neither of those things is at all likely it seems at this point.

There's been at least one other poll released today though not sure if it's got as much attention

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/869926097026256896

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Pissflaps posted:

It goes like this

Doo do do do doo doo
Nah, listen to it again it's seven notes in the riff

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There was a policy to confiscate scrap iron, there was a policy for public iron like lampposts and fences to be taken down, there was even a policy for new board games to have spinners instead of dice and eliminate metal parts. I don't think there was ever a policy to donate board game pieces to make 1% of an aileron though.

It's possible that they donated them along with a larger pile of scrap metal, but it seems unnecessary as most of them were pot metal or similar.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

It goes like this

Doo do do do doo doo

You missed a do.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

There's been at least one other poll released today though not sure if it's got as much attention

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/869926097026256896

Probably because taking five days to do the fieldwork in the middle of a general election campaign isn't really a snapshot of public opinion.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

Nah, listen to it again it's seven notes in the riff

haakman posted:

You missed a do.

I don't think it's a full do before the second do. More of a de.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Pistol_Pete posted:

Headline on the Telegraph site right now lol:

"Amber Rudd: Theresa May’s saviour... or her successor?"

Tories move fast!
This really could be a thing eh. It's a pretty crazy move to send someone else, who's better at public appearances than you, to go do a loving leadership debate on live TV in your stead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's not impossible that they would have donated them to the scrap drives but as the pieces were/are made of pewter it's unlikely they found their way into a Spitfire. They were probably sold to the Yanks for scrap, which was the fate of almost all of the stuff donated because aluminium, the thing we were really short of and which was absolutely essential to the aero industry, was almost entirely unused domestically those days and we already had quite enough iron, copper, tin and lead just lying around. They realised that after the very first one, but it was considered (and probably was) very good for morale if civilians could feel like they were contributing so they kept them up.

At least they weren't like the many families who got so caught up in the fervor they donated all their pots, pans and cutlery and then suddenly found they couldn't replace them because of course all the foundries were turning out stuff for the war.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

haakman posted:

You missed a do.
Wasn't that an Atari game?

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I just had a quick google of "WW2 monopoly set" and it looks like there might have been versions manufactured with wood and paper pieces in the war rather than metal, so maybe it was one of those and the story got somehow twisted to your grandparents donating the metal pieces directly rather than the manufacturer stopping using metal during wartime?

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
Does anyone here think that, should Labour win, they will be able to quietly put the Brexit process to bed by some political sleight of hand? I for one certainly hope that this talk of ''respecting the referendum result'' is simply an electoral tactic, and that with regards to the EU, sanity will be resumed with a Corbyn victory- after all, a sufficiently bad Brexit is likely to sink Labour's manifesto spending pledges when the pound tanks, trade deficit widens, inflation rises and tax receipts plummet.

Lord_Adonis fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 31, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jabby posted:

Probably because taking five days to do the fieldwork in the middle of a general election campaign isn't really a snapshot of public opinion.

Reguardless, other polls have had labour on 36% or above that entire time. It is odd some of the polls are diverging so markedly, and proof that we can't be too hopeful yet.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hoops posted:

I mean of the people chanting for Jeremy Corbyn.

Also: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/31/readers-vote-conservative-first-time-general-election?CMP=fb_gu

My head hurts from reading the tortured logic of anyone voting for the Tories.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think it's a full do before the second do. More of a de.

Trust you to be looking to get the De in, eh lads eh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord_Adonis posted:

Does anyone here think that, should Labour win, they will be able to quietly put the Brexit process to bed by some political sleight of hand? I for one certainly hope that this talk of ''respecting the referendum result'' is simply an electoral tactic, and that with regards to the EU, sanity will be resumed with a Corbyn victory.

They probably could but it would likely cost them an election as any win would likely be very fragile. I also rather doubt Corbyn would if he had any say in the matter.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Trust you to be looking to get the De in, eh lads eh

I don't understand this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lord_Adonis posted:

Does anyone here think that, should Labour win, they will be able to quietly put the Brexit process to bed by some political sleight of hand? I for one certainly hope that this talk of ''respecting the referendum result'' is simply an electoral tactic, and that with regards to the EU, sanity will be resumed with a Corbyn victory.

Corbyn is, first and foremost, a man of principle. He wouldn't go back on the referendum.

• Locked thread