Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Uncle Jam posted:

If you're super concerned about refreezing then I'd probably stop eating sushi from any restaurant in the US except for 3 or 4 specific places.

Most people don't realize this, but when I was looking up the safety of using frozen shrimp for ceviche, I indeed discovered that it's actually safer to eat seafood that's been flash-frozen. I believe the EU even requires it is restaurants for fish (and possibly meat?) that's going to be eaten uncooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a contribution to the retail thread. I got a mailer for them today. Which one should I get first?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

The gently caress did you do to get on that mailing list?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How much weight is that? When I was lucky enough to live within biking distance of my work there was a grocery store on my route, so I'd just buy enough to eat for a night and a day after my shifts. Wasn't more than 20lbs at any given time, usually less.

I've fit over 60lbs on a bike before, split between four panniers and bungee cords on the back rack. Groceries don't come close to that weight. It looks funny though; I'm about to have to do another once-a-year purchase of the super bulky stuff and that can be annoying.

Bikes own, using bikes for things that get double-takes on the highway owns more.

With correct gearing and good balance, you don't even have to be in shape (you'll get there, though).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you don't have a car or driving license at all, I'll admit bulky things are a pain in the rear end. But if you have a car, you can just swing by the supermarket and get those bulky/heavy things in large quantities as you're doing something else, and still walk/bike easily to and from the grocery store for daily things. You're not using that much extra fuel if you stop off at the grocery store on your way home from doing something else.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

It was bundled with a bunch of other low class mail adverts.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a contribution to the retail thread. I got a mailer for them today. Which one should I get first?

that is a hell of a registered trademark

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

When we get those at the Goodwill a manager has to up price them because all of us hate those creepy things and won't correctly value it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

When we get those at the Goodwill a manager has to up price them because all of us hate those creepy things and won't correctly value it.

Hide them in the manager's office. And one in the bathroom.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I strongly advise everybody check out the "Fashion and Pop Culture" section of Discendo Vox's link. Who wouldn't want this gracing the mantelpiece?

Or your truck grill :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

A steal at $140

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy how the company seems to specialize in terrifying babies and also monkeys.

E: And, uh..

Boris Vallejo paintings made into models?

E: Wait wow it's giving me the UK site so my "patrotic" tab is all loving royal babbys.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 1, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm going to guess by existing. Spam mail has just gotten ridiculous in the past few years.

I've been occasionally getting spam about horrendously overpriced makeup and jewelry for bored upper middle class white women.

I am not a woman, do not live with a woman, and do not have a girlfriend or wife.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hi there.

(read the description)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Chuu posted:

If that's the coffee shop I'm thinking of (how many coffee shops have a DeLoran on the wall?) hearing that story is an eye opener. I always thought they were making good money considering how relatively expensive that place is and how packed it gets. Was absolutely worth the money though; had one of the best cappuccinos of my life there; and I regret never trying the baked goods now.

No wonder all the really good independent cafes seem to go out of business within a year.

I should note (because obviously you know exactly what I'm talking about) that the coffee shop is doing well and good, it's just the bakery that spun off that bombed. I'm pretty sure they're even more successful now (and they do have really loving good coffee), I think they're expanding quite a bit.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe
Don't worry by 2024 our entire national economy will be driven by coffee shops.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

fishmech posted:

I thought the Tiger Direct retail storefronts with CompUSA branding got dropped a few years back? If you go on the CompUSA site now they don't even list any of their own products, it's just some sort of search engine for Amazon etc.
IIRC TigerDirect had set up outlet stores with their own branding before their parent company purchased CompUSA. With the CompUSA purchase, they took over 16 CompUSA locations but also rebranded their existing TigerDirect outlets as CompUSA, and ran them all according to the TigerDirect outlet model.

Then they bought Circuit City, which they didn't use for anything but website branding. In 2012 they changed their mind and dumped both brands to consolidate everything under TigerDirect again. Last year, Systemax sold the division to PCM and closed all but 3 retail locations.

hakimashou posted:

Costco doesnt use shopping bags I don't think, they always reuse product boxes when they pack your stuff up for you to take home.
Costco doesn't need to use shopping bags because everything they sell is in a giant package that's already the size of a shopping bag.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
RadioShack suddenly closed more than 1,000 stores — and now only a handful remain.

quote:

RadioShack closed more than 1,000 stores over the weekend, leaving the chain with just 70 company-owned stores left in operation.

The 96-year-old electronics retailer shut down most of its stores just two months after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

At the time of the filing, RadioShack parent company General Wireless Operations said the chain would close 200 of its 1,500 company-owned stores. A few weeks later, that number grew to 552 closures.

Now, after the weekend's mass closures, just 70 company-owned stores remain in operation, along with 425 stores owned by franchisees.

Holy poo poo. That was fast.

edit:
http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-kors-is-shutting-down-at-least-100-stores-2017-5

Michael Kors will shutter 100 to 125 stores as well.

edit2:
http://www.businessinsider.com/payless-is-closing-more-stores-2017-5

Payless says it may close another 408 stores (112 immediately and 296 more if they can't get cheaper rent) on top of the 400 it's planning to close already.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 1, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I've definitely noticed the two malls near me that still seemed busy the last few years now have several vacancies. Hard to tell if its amazon or stagnant wages causing it (prob both).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

got any sevens posted:

I've definitely noticed the two malls near me that still seemed busy the last few years now have several vacancies. Hard to tell if its amazon or stagnant wages causing it (prob both).

Since you have a seahawks avatar which one is it in the area out of curiosity?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can't be Southcenter because it's madhouse lately.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

OneEightHundred posted:

IIRC TigerDirect had set up outlet stores with their own branding before their parent company purchased CompUSA. With the CompUSA purchase, they took over 16 CompUSA locations but also rebranded their existing TigerDirect outlets as CompUSA, and ran them all according to the TigerDirect outlet model.

Then they bought Circuit City, which they didn't use for anything but website branding. In 2012 they changed their mind and dumped both brands to consolidate everything under TigerDirect again. Last year, Systemax sold the division to PCM and closed all but 3 retail locations.

Probably because Tigerdirect sucks.

gently caress even Newegg isn't half of what it was. Everyone gets crushed by Amazon.

I'm seeing a lot of ads for Jet, and their prices are cheaper than Amazon's. I wonder if they manage to do some real damage.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah I assume Southcenter along with Northgate will be two of the last malls left standing in the region.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Southcenter/landing. Even SS has several empty spots now. When I go there it's only half as busy as it used to be

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The thing about retail is you train absolutely badass employees with a killer work ethic into these management positions...who are then qualified and motivated to destroy any entry level office job where they get paid as much or more plus weekends and holidays off

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

OhFunny posted:

Holy poo poo. That was fast.
"Fast" is an odd word to hear about RadioShack's hilariously drawn out death. I had to check when the Onion's Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business article was written and it was over 7 years ago.

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Probably because Tigerdirect sucks.

gently caress even Newegg isn't half of what it was. Everyone gets crushed by Amazon.
I'm not sure what the deal with TigerDirect's retail stores was, it was probably a bit experimental, but the obvious way that it contrasted with the original CompUSA, Circuit City, and Best Buy was that it was much less flashy and much more obviously a discount-ish store. That was probably a bit more realistic with computers becoming increasingly commodified, but if that failed, then the entire idea of a "computer store" is probably just boned forever.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Micro center by me does fine. But they have their own in house brand of computers, so you can get a desktop priced like you built it yourself without building it. And most of the store is stuff like routers or electrical outlet internet connector dodads

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

I'm seeing a lot of ads for Jet, and their prices are cheaper than Amazon's. I wonder if they manage to do some real damage.

When jet launched their thing was to "make $0 on sales, make it all from the membership" and to fulfill the "cheapest place to buy" thing by just drop shipping from other stores and eating the price difference. I don't know if they still that, but its hard to see how they could get ahead of Amazon with the original model. They'd need tens of million of paying members.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

There goes my local Radioshack. I remember I was in there once, because I needed an HDMI cable in a hurry. Once I saw how much they were asking I decided I didn't need it that badly, and ordered it from Amazon instead.

Ziv Zulander fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 1, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

RBC posted:

Technically possible? People have been walking to the grocery store with these things for decades. I'm guessing you just live a lovely american city where you have to drive everywhere. Too bad.
I live in Munich at the moment, but yes in most American cities not-driving is pretty painful.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I just strap all my groceries to my bike's pannier rack. I got crazy thighs though, so this may not be practical for you.
Biking is good and cool, but I think a bigger issue than fitness for most is that almost all of the US has awful bike infrastructure. Full bike-unism now imo

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Boywhiz88 was right all along.

I just argued that some of us in Geek Squad legitimately care about the people that we serve. Hubert just got the rest of the company in line with that vision. I've eased up over the years, and do my best not to talk about BBY or GS on SA. Good to know that GBS thread is burned into people's brains.

EDIT: it's been touched upon in here but Joly gave us a great vision. He understood that the salespeople are the backbone, and if they're happy and trained then they can do good work. Geek Squad has benefitted from providing a comprehensive online support experience, it's constantly changing and it's so much better than when I started in this position back in '12.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 1, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
is Best Buy dead yet?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

FizFashizzle posted:

is Best Buy dead yet?

I will say that if Joly leaves, I'd be interested to see if they can get someone as good as him. I think that without him as CEO, we probably would be having a very different conversation about Best Buy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's pretty reasonable honestly. It's just setting you up with contacts to come give you estimates for a finder's fee. It's not like you're setting up taskgoat for when you need a goat right now.

My sister runs a goatscaping company, and mostly contracts out to local municipalities that need areas around like hydroelectric dams cleaned up, or dog parks where you don't really want to blast in there with chemical agents. Her business is probably half that and half easy as hell jobs where wealthier people hire them to clean up their yards that take no time at all so people can show off how environmentally conscious they are.

Here's one of her goats wearing a bucket as a hat:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 1, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Nice

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

That's awesome. I'm curious as to how effective they are at kudzu.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The origins of Buckethead, finally revealed!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah they'll destroy kudzu, and pretty much anything under ~8 feet high.

Once they finish off everything green, they'll strip the bark from the trees starting from the smallest and work their way up. They're insatiable. They just eat and poo poo, except once every hour the leader will gather them all together and they'll sit down to rest for a few minutes.

They also don't suffer from poison ivy / oak.. though they're very friendly and love to slobber that all over you. They also won't go near running water. One very convenient thing is if you walk through a brush area with the leader, they'll eat along that path first and spread out from there. Oh and if it rains, they'll run for cover and refuse to budge. They're pretty huge, so not really what people are used to from petting zoos and the like, so when doing suburb jobs they'll usually bring along an adolescent or one of the miniature goat rescues they have for people and their kids to play with.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You're forgetting the best part about keeping a donkey or a mule in case coyotes or wolves appear.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FizFashizzle posted:

You're forgetting the best part about keeping a donkey or a mule in case coyotes or wolves appear.

What does the donkey do? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Kalli posted:

Yeah they'll destroy kudzu, and pretty much anything under ~8 feet high.

Once they finish off everything green, they'll strip the bark from the trees starting from the smallest and work their way up. They're insatiable. They just eat and poo poo, except once every hour the leader will gather them all together and they'll sit down to rest for a few minutes.

They also don't suffer from poison ivy / oak.. though they're very friendly and love to slobber that all over you. They also won't go near running water. One very convenient thing is if you walk through a brush area with the leader, they'll eat along that path first and spread out from there. Oh and if it rains, they'll run for cover and refuse to budge. They're pretty huge, so not really what people are used to from petting zoos and the like, so when doing suburb jobs they'll usually bring along an adolescent or one of the miniature goat rescues they have for people and their kids to play with.

Fascinating. I had the impression that kudzu grew more if you ripped it up but I'm not sure if it's the plant I'm thinking of.