Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

The problem with the chants and the crowds is that it's being done by people who actively paying attention and getting involved.

Elections are decided by old people who's deeply held politics are based off of half remembered headlines from articles they never read and who's interaction with the outside world is sneering at the Indian lad selling them their milk.

That's always true, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

I urge you to stop posting about me.

I won't reply if you don't make nonsense and dishonest claims :shrug:

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

TheRat posted:

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/870020852963614720

"Why does she go around saying things that are just not true?"

That was surprisingly brutal. The gently caress has happened in the last fe days that everyone's turning on the Tories? Has the national conscience shortage finally been addressed? Did Jiminy Cricket clone himself?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

winegums posted:

That was surprisingly brutal. The gently caress has happened in the last fe days that everyone's turning on the Tories? Has the national conscience shortage finally been addressed? Did Jiminy Cricket clone himself?

Close elections sell more papers. And they're still downplaying it a lot, mind you. They could easily be 100 times harder on May and the Tories.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/870040061001248768

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winegums posted:

British public spiteful and petty, not overly choosy about their targets.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is odd

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/870040480179945473

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
David Davis needs to work out what Brexit will do to Dutch Courage imports before he next appears on TV.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Hoops posted:

Why have the Tories had such a horrible campaign? I know Labour got a new team in but it's not like the Conservative party have no idea how to do what they need to do in a general election.

Lyndon Crosby is not really as good as he's been hyped up to be. Much like Karl Rove people like to talk about how he's a Machiavellian genius but really he just really hammers on staying on message and this Dril tweet.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/870039936245927938

these 'don't knows' are why we should go doorknocking and phonebanking

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Is that public expectation? It's the only way I can interpret that.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pissflaps posted:

I want labour to win.

He says crossing his fingers

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

No it's what the public want.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gum posted:

He says crossing his fingers

It'd take more than crossed fingers.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

First reply to the tweet has the question (Yes)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lord of the Llamas posted:

post as you wish, provided you've made a thorough inspection of page 306 of this thread

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

jBrereton posted:

No it's what the public want.

That seems improbable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

It'd take more than crossed fingers.

imagine a left wing leader who hadn't had mp's constantly denigrating him in the press for 2 years . The funny thing is if his current polling is correct then they definitely get the blame for loving it all up

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lord of the Llamas posted:

"I'm never wrong"

"Here's where you're wrong"

"Don't talk to me or my son ever again"

:discourse:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hoops posted:

Why have the Tories had such a horrible campaign? I know Labour got a new team in but it's not like the Conservative party have no idea how to do what they need to do in a general election.
Hubris, but you can empathise with it and understand it given the information they had at the time. Its just incredibly funny to watch. I'm still certain that they're going to win next week and they may even do well with it, but its been so much fun watching Corbyn flip this election on its head and showing the world what hes made of.

Seriously though, it would be glorious if May fucks this up and loses the majority. Its like when people looked at Trump's election and pointed out that its like America looked at the Brexit result and thought "amateurs, *this* is how you gently caress up your own country", except its the Conservatives looking at Hilary thinking that they can go even worse.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

That seems improbable.
explain the phrasing otherwise (although the tweet has been deleted?)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

imagine a left wing leader who hadn't had mp's constantly denigrating him in the press for 2 years . The funny thing is if his current polling is correct then they definitely get the blame for loving it all up

Nah mate, Corbyn just got magically good the second election rules for broadcasting came into play. Nothing to do with his own party conspiring to get rid of him before he even won the first Labour leadership election.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's been removed, what did it say?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

it looks like they've just deleted that, so with that and what Gum said I assume someone accidentally labelled the numbers wrong in the tweet

Party Boat posted:

It's been removed, what did it say?

possible outcomes from an election, about 67% "preferring" a Tory majority or words to that end, but it seems that poll may have actually just been expected outcome rather than what people want

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

jBrereton posted:

explain the phrasing otherwise (although the tweet has been deleted?)

I think it was a mis-tweet. You were right about the original wording, but perhaps that wasn't the actual question.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Party Boat posted:

This feels like desperation from the Sun, and I think it reflects worse on May than anyone else.

https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/870005670661304320

It's a way of making her weak performance look better. "She would of smashed it if her dad weren't dead"

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Angepain posted:

post as you wish, provided you've made a thorough inspection of page 306 of this thread

I'm fairly confident that reminding someone that they will be called to account on their claims (even if they did occur a whole six weeks ago) during a general election is well within those rules.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Spangly A posted:

disability cuts killed twice the amount of people the IRA did

it's not loving relevant

if you're going to engage in whataboutery at least stick to related stuff. like referencing the UVF or RUC crimes. a non sequitur just makes you look silly.
and trying to reduce either of these to points scoring over death counts is embarrassing simplistic nonsense.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Can't remember exact wording but it was "Regardless of your preference blah blah blah who's gonna win?"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

jabby posted:

Emily Thornberry gatecrashing Dominic Green's interview is well worth a watch. You can just tell she is loving loving the opportunity to really lay into the Tories in a way that would never have been allowed in Milliband's day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skp86Yc84rw

Love thornberry to bits

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

Only among those who would have blamed them regardless.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

It's a way of making her weak performance look better. "She would of smashed it if her dad weren't dead"

Makes me think "wow May would rather throw a grieving ally under the bus than debate Corbyn"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerv posted:

if you're going to engage in whataboutery at least stick to related stuff. like referencing the UVF or RUC crimes. a non sequitur just makes you look silly.
and trying to reduce either of these to points scoring over death counts is embarrassing simplistic nonsense.

you know you're talking to someone who lost family to terrorist attacks during The Troubles, right?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gum posted:

Can't remember exact wording but it was "Regardless of your preference blah blah blah who's gonna win?"

No, it was 'Public Preference for Result', meaning which result would the public prefer. It was bizarre because it said over 60% would prefer a Tory majority and only 7% a Labour majority. A lot of the replies were asking if it really meant public prediction of the result, and it's since been deleted so it was probably wrongly worded.

EDIT: Yup.
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/870043721508802560

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Namtab posted:

That's the intent but I haven't seen many respond that way

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

This is dumb as gently caress.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Gum posted:

quote:

Regardless of what you would like to see happen at the general election, what do you think WILL be the result of a general election on 8th June?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gum posted:

It wasn't regardless of your preference, the preference bit was in there in the context of who do you want to be in charge. That might have been what was meant, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pissflaps posted:

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/870043066945744897

Will the dam burst on the Tory's Brexit firewall or will they limp over the line having blown the biggest polling lead in UK political history?

• Locked thread