Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lots of "well let's not jump to conclusions it might not be racist" in the comments. It's literally impossible for racism to exist for this chunk of America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Radish posted:

Lots of "well let's not jump to conclusions it might not be racist" in the comments. It's literally impossible for racism to exist for this chunk of America.

They were probably just going to comment on his spending habits but ran out of spray paint.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i'm disabled and can't work don't cut my medicaid but cut welfare for those other people that also can't work or don't make enough.
Wait till they realize that every program they're on is welfare

They are welfare

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

celtics fans strike again

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

evilmiera posted:

If you ask someone: Which party is more likely to try to cut Medicaid and similar programs the answer will always be the GOP. For someone who worked all his life he sure doesn't seem like he was alive during the tenure of any Republicans.

I mean it doesn't even matter if you think cutting it is a good or bad thing, just check the voting records. Just look at the party line, or hell just ask people around you with better memory than you.
This isn't even stupidity, this is willfully erasing reality from your mind and replacing it with fantasy.

It doesn't matter.

Some people are so incredible self-focused and tribalistic that they earnestly believe since Trump espouses many of their views that he will additionally protect them, personally, from any fallout due to those views.

Trade war with China that threatens to murder US economy? Trump will bring back American manufacturing and tariffs and reopen all our factories!
Gutting health care? He'll single out my policy and protect/subsidize it, because he'll know I'm one of the good ones!

They believe they elected some kind of White Working Class Santa Claus, with his naughty and nice list and cadre of magical elves who'll MAGA. It's about a tossup whether the realization this is not the case will sink in before they die.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

GIS 1970s LA skyline vs. today's.

There are stories of entire water systems across the country being rehabilitated due to the EPA's efforts. Don't buy the bullshit.

CARB would like a word with you.

But yeah, the issues with the EPA are how it's hands are tied and how it must rely on states.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

This thread isn't moving a thousand posts an hour, so I guess this just isn't really a big deal?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Radish posted:

holy gently caress

seems to be a lot of overlap in the venn diagram of sports fans/trump supporters/loving clueless culturally inept intensive loving morons

asdfgasjiodbfuiasbdf8ouibhasdf

i like sports too but i don't openly because it always attracts conversations from people like this goodddammnnnn

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pander posted:

It doesn't matter.

Some people are so incredible self-focused and tribalistic that they earnestly believe since Trump espouses many of their views that he will additionally protect them, personally, from any fallout due to those views.

Trade war with China that threatens to murder US economy? Trump will bring back American manufacturing and tariffs and reopen all our factories!
Gutting health care? He'll single out my policy and protect/subsidize it, because he'll know I'm one of the good ones!

They believe they elected some kind of White Working Class Santa Claus, with his naughty and nice list and cadre of magical elves who'll MAGA. It's about a tossup whether the realization this is not the case will sink in before they die.

"He won't deport MY illegal immigrant husband since he's a good one!"

skylined! posted:

holy gently caress

seems to be a lot of overlap in the venn diagram of sports fans/trump supporters/loving clueless culturally inept intensive loving morons

i like sports too but i don't openly because it always attracts conversations from people like this goodddammnnnn

I used to think the only way a white person could be racist was if they admitted it but now that's probably not enough.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Unzip and Attack posted:

GIS 1970s LA skyline vs. today's.

There are stories of entire water systems across the country being rehabilitated due to the EPA's efforts. Don't buy the bullshit.

The Clean Air Act and clean water act are huge successes because the EPA carries a giant baseball bat in the form of the FBI and the EPA has some very good legal personnel writing the laws. The problem is the average EPA employee does not understand what's being enforced or what, resting on their BA in Biology laurels

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Yup, this is fine.
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeed/status/870034455750201344

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

arbybaconator posted:

This thread isn't moving a thousand posts an hour, so I guess this just isn't really a big deal?

we are all suffering from scandal fatigue and no consequences have been rendered yet so

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

there's been two goddamn nooses found within this week at the National Museum of African American History and Culture

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/870038282209419264

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skylined! posted:

holy gently caress

You just gotta find the right sports

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Ekster posted:

If you thought Bush was bad just wait until Trump has to deal with a serious catastrophe.

I don't expect Trump to do that bad in the event of a catastrophe. He will let the qualified people handle the problem and read out a generic prepared statement. Look at how he allows the military to carry out strikes without his authorization. I

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

The Clean Air Act and clean water act are huge successes because the EPA carries a giant baseball bat in the form of the FBI and the EPA has some very good legal personnel writing the laws. The problem is the average EPA employee does not understand what's being enforced or what, resting on their BA in Biology laurels

So what? It's not important for every person in the support apparatus of a large organization to understand the grand scheme. The EPA is highly effective and some employee "not understanding" does not hinder that.

Also, you're moving goalposts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/869961955259416576

Also not racist!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

....she's one of the good ones?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

nj bro you just described a bureaucratic institute working as intended

are you a loving oil speculator or something what the gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skylined! posted:

holy gently caress

an nfl owner thought it was cool to say out loud that his fanbase wrote impassioned letters to not sign a qb who had the gall to take a knee to protest police brutality.

there were no such letters when the same team signed a player who was arrested for domestic violence nor when he was suspended for that charge.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

that sounds like something you'd see in unREAL, except it wouldn't be a mistake but an actual ploy for ratings

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Radish posted:

Like leftist outrage about her aside, what possible benefit does she give to Democrats by sticking around? At the very best she's the most polarizing figure to motivate Republicans to freak out and even politically neutral people don't seem to like her much.

You know I'm about has hard left as they come but the Hillary hate is really annoying to me. Sure she's flawed, sure she's a DLC flunky but her heart has always been in the right place. She's a woman who whatever her faults dedicated her life to the service and betterment of others. Yeah she didn't do it perfectly and I will always hold her vote for Iraq War Resolution against her, but enough already. She's not running again. She just cares about the country and the people and so she's going to continue to do what she always did and speak out and act. I'm not going to fault her for that.

And you know what. She's right about a lot of this poo poo if you actually put your Hillary hate away for a minute and pay attention. While I doubt that this Covfefe poo poo is some sort of 3 dimensional chess move and it's far more likely that it was a simple typo and accident,. the reality is that it's chewed up an entire news cycle, everyone has spent the day going on and on about this Covfefe poo poo like it matters in any way shape of form. So while Trump and his cronies may not have planned for this they sure as gently caress took advantage of it.

Time chewed up on literal loving nonsense rather than discussing the systematic dismantling of decades of progress on social and ecological issues.

While Trump may not be the genius he thinks he is. The reality is that the people who put him in power are not all bumbling idiots. Even the Russian poo poo is mainly functioning as a distraction to the nefarious crap these assholes are actively engaging in broad daylight. Oh and for what it's worth, Clinton was trying to call Trump out on the Russian poo poo during the election too but for some reason (sexism most likely) it was ignored while everyone went crazy about her emails.

Hillary didn't lose the election, we all did. So stop acting like she is solely responsible for this poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

outrage isn't a finite resource.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I worked with EPA, DOT-PHMSA, and BLM folks in my past job (pipeline right-of-way & material contract leasing) and at least in my experience the practice is: state level employees do all the initial legwork, feed that info to the Feds, and then Feds levy a heavy fine after their own investigation. If your experience with EPA is lackluster then y'all should probably blame your state level employees that look the other way.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

Barbe Rouge posted:

that sounds like something you'd see in unREAL, except it wouldn't be a mistake but an actual ploy for ratings

Unreal literally did do this, with the football player and the traitors flag bikini woman.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The article isn't very clear on it, but did Nunes sign off on these or not? My understanding is the committee had these ready to go and was just waiting for Nunes to sign off, being head of the committee and all.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Blitz7x posted:

I've never worked with a less effective organization than the EPA

The epa is a victim of its own success tbh, friend

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Today was loving stupid and I'm watching yet another news piece on "convfefe" so honestly we should all be embarrassed and I'm ok with Hillary scolding us for it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

evilweasel posted:

dc, like almost all cities, is filled with correct-thinking people who loathe republicans

That's why I said just poetic and left out the justice part. A real hurricane flooding DC would suck so for many people who do not deserve it while the people who do go gently caress off home to whine about taxes and welfare.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Today was loving stupid and I'm watching yet another news piece on "convfefe" so honestly we should all be embarrassed and I'm ok with Hillary scolding us for it.

I'm at least getting some enjoyment out of the stupid coverage of a stupid typo turning into "why can't he just admit it was a typo?!".

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

STAC Goat posted:

Why is that a thing? It's clearly just a typo for coverage.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

With what's happening at the EPA I think it's more likely we will have a serious environmental catastrophe

Imagine this admin handling a deepwater horizon situation. How many days would it before they put out a statement on it?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Imagine this admin handling a deepwater horizon situation. How many days would it before they put out a statement on it?

Haha oh thos crazy oil companies always looking for a faster way to extract oil

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Everyone would have just had their laughs and moved on had the administration not doubled down on it for whatever unfathomable reason.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

And what credibility would any statement have?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spacebump posted:

Everyone's brain broke and allowed a dumb joke to take over the day and become news.

Which like... It happens. Some people probably needed the break. But we should have the dignity to be embarrassed when the adult walks in the room and scolds us.

One of Hillary's problems has always been that no one likes the adult in the room. And she loves being it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 1, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

Senate Intelligence Committee has already subpoenaed Flynn, and is getting some cooperation from him. I think they haven't subpoenaed Cohen yet, but the House Intelligence Committee still has Nunes hanging around so I wouldn't expect much out of Cohen until the Senate committee issues one.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Everyone would have just had their laughs and moved on had the administration not doubled down on it for whatever unfathomable reason.

that reason is "lord trump can never be wrong!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Everyone's brain broke and allowed a dumb joke to take over the day and become news.

Which like... It happens. Some people probably needed the break. But we should have the dignity to be embarrassed when the adult walks in the room and scolds us.

One of Hillary's problems has always been that no one likes the adult in the room.

yea it's just just wording but sounds like everyone else's problem not hers

• Locked thread