Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy gently caress that last chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eonwe posted:

holy gently caress that last chapter

I know, right??!

Dodged another hiatus. As always Lord Mune, DPP, and staff know how to correctly adapt Miura's masterpiece.unlike a certain animation house

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I believe in Casca.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I....I can't believe that it doesn't seem so far out of reach that with in the next few years I may actually get to see the end of both A Song of Ice and Fire (by way of the show) and Berserk. There are no words...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even if we're going into the final part of Berserk, I'd be surprised if we're not at least 150 chapters away from the end.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So what would be the theoretical climax be? Casca tricking Griffith into making himself vulnerable for an attack? Making him finally admit that he regrets the loss of the real band for a hollow dream that never ends?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Guts and Casca flip Griffith off together and he suicides in shame.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Crabtree posted:

So what would be the theoretical climax be? Casca tricking Griffith into making himself vulnerable for an attack? Making him finally admit that he regrets the loss of the real band for a hollow dream that never ends?

If Griffith falls, it's gotta be due to his own actions.

Fundamentally, the God Hand has never stopped being human - they're still very much characterised by human desires, if not to an even greater degree. Griffith is ambition personified - so it seems to make sense that ambition will be his undoing as well. That's the beauty about character-driven stories: you can't imagine certain characters NOT acting the way they do, once you get a clear picture of them. I just can't imagine that Griffith would not do something petty and stupid, even as a god, if he's just defied in a very personal way. The Slap might be one such chink in his armour, but it's clearly not devastating enough to make him commit an error (yet... who knows who exactly ordered Rakshas to attack).

I can imagine things heading to a final confrontation between Guts and Griffith, not because Guts choses to, but rather because he ends up as the only one left in Griffith's way (for who knows what). Ultimately, he does not kill (or even defeat) Griffith, but because of Casca and him, Griffith ends up making that final error, something very personal that leads to things unraveling. I could imagine Void playing a role in that. And in the end, Rickert gets the kill. :colbert:
Because holy poo poo, Rickert is sneakily getting one hell of a character arc, that boy needs one hell of a capstone

I imagine there will be lots of rad demon battles along the way

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rickert is the only member of the Band that didn't get the sacrifice brand. That's gotta mean something.

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

I worry that Farnese might not make it out of this part of the story in one piece. Being so deeply invested in Guts' and Caska's happiness, I think she'd put her life (or mind?) on the line for that. And she's a connective tissue for a lot of the group's members - Serpico, Rodrik, Schierke... Caska? ... yeah, I could definitely see Caska's restoration end up with the party fracturing.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
:sbahj:
Stop shuffling off scren you HIDEOUS COCK, they're ESCAPING TO THE SIDE.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Casca ends up choosing Farnese over Guts, leading Guts to go gently caress up Griffith's poo poo because at this point why not.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Even if we're going into the final part of Berserk, I'd be surprised if we're not at least 150 chapters away from the end.

And at the ideal release rate of 12 chapters a year, that's still 12.5 years longer I have to bargain with the reaper.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Andrigaar posted:

And at the ideal release rate of 12 chapters a year, that's still 12.5 years longer I have to bargain with the reaper.

Fear your mortality? Begin the Invocation of Doom!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Torquemadras posted:

If Griffith falls, it's gotta be due to his own actions.

Fundamentally, the God Hand has never stopped being human - they're still very much characterised by human desires, if not to an even greater degree. Griffith is ambition personified - so it seems to make sense that ambition will be his undoing as well. That's the beauty about character-driven stories: you can't imagine certain characters NOT acting the way they do, once you get a clear picture of them. I just can't imagine that Griffith would not do something petty and stupid, even as a god, if he's just defied in a very personal way. The Slap might be one such chink in his armour, but it's clearly not devastating enough to make him commit an error (yet... who knows who exactly ordered Rakshas to attack).

I can imagine things heading to a final confrontation between Guts and Griffith, not because Guts choses to, but rather because he ends up as the only one left in Griffith's way (for who knows what). Ultimately, he does not kill (or even defeat) Griffith, but because of Casca and him, Griffith ends up making that final error, something very personal that leads to things unraveling. I could imagine Void playing a role in that. And in the end, Rickert gets the kill. :colbert:
Because holy poo poo, Rickert is sneakily getting one hell of a character arc, that boy needs one hell of a capstone

I imagine there will be lots of rad demon battles along the way

Griffith's current biggest flaw I think is him trying to believe that he's above and beyond his lingering humanity, which isn't to say that his own ambition should not be the most significant factor to undo him as now he has his Dream Kingdom and no where else to climb for it. However, with how worried he was when he materialized into the world after Tower of Conviction that he'd still feel things for Guts or Casca, yet shifted blame for his pointless actions of saving them upon the baby that he's possessing as the reason he's defending or feeling things - he clearly thinks he shouldn't have emotions towards them still. But even after the Eclipse, they are still people of great importance to him or else they wouldn't be sacrifices. And so that's why I'd think he'd take the bait of personally inviting Guts or Casca to witness his dream and even possibly offer them places in Falconia so he could have his cake and eat it too after damning it to the chain of souls.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Having changed the world, the powers of fate now work against Griffith and the only one who can save him is the one outside of fate?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Nebakenezzer posted:

Having changed the world, the powers of fate now work against Griffith and the only one who can save him is the one outside of fate?

Well more in the sense that Griffith possibly seeks validation of his Kingdom from someone that would matter to him. That's what he tried to get from Rickert before the slap. Now the only two people that would matter enough to Griffith to make him avoid feeling like his victory is meaningless is Casca, and more importantly Guts. The wheels of Causality are spinning right now and Griffith may be worrying that now he's accomplished his dream, the dust has settled and there is nothing much more to go from here; that he'd regret what he's done. Griffith is a creature of ambition and what could destroy him the most is having his victory to be hollow and empty. Motivation enough for him to sacrifice Falconia itself, the only place possibly left for humans to live if not the last place that is inhabited by humans in the whole world, in desperation to find a greater height to aspire to.

Griffith may yet have another role to play that needs to be triggered in the proper way for a great final Invocation of Doom.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Midland wished for Griffith in a world where he wasn't king. Now that he is king, people will wish for something else.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

so i just caught up after being forced to stop by the fact it stopped for years

stuffs happenin huh, how about that?

jumping back a bit, i wish something actually came of erica fondly recalling guts' to 2 people who very much knew exactly who she was on about - seemed to just get immediately sidelined, even if rickert is building his own lil gang of... slightly less than savoury people

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Eh...its not terrible enough to be annoying, but not good enough to be surprising.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I didn't think this scene was as terribly animated as the rest of the episode, but Susumu Hirasawa is definitely doing some heavy lifting here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
why do they do that textured shading stuff that just floats in front of the actual 3D objects, it looks awful

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's trying to give it some of the feel of the manga. They add it in compositing into the shadows instead of just directly texturing it on the characters. It's the least thing that's wrong about the adaption.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ccs posted:

It's trying to give it some of the feel of the manga. They add it in compositing into the shadows instead of just directly texturing it on the characters. It's the least thing that's wrong about the adaption.

Well it makes it look like a PS2 game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck that's terrible

still the same pointless camera swiveling, still the same horrendous sound design, still the same complete lack of decent animation or editing, with added bonus's of completely ineffective lighting and piss poor framing

there is not one ounce of improvement from when this series started

ya'll are suffering from stockholm's at this point

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well it makes it look like a PS2 game.

this is how the PS2 game looked, and while it still looks and sounds pretty bad it at least had a decent grasp on how to frame a shot and how to light a scene so it looks like poo poo is on fire.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Hey Chief posted:

I worry that Farnese might not make it out of this part of the story in one piece. Being so deeply invested in Guts' and Caska's happiness, I think she'd put her life (or mind?) on the line for that. And she's a connective tissue for a lot of the group's members - Serpico, Rodrik, Schierke... Caska? ... yeah, I could definitely see Caska's restoration end up with the party fracturing.

I'm somewhat concerned for how she'll react, but considering her self development since her separating from the church I think she'll handle things a lot better. She's become aware of her evil side, wallowed in self pity and hatred, but has done so much good as a result. Her protecting Casca has taught her how to value a person's life, her learning to become a witch has granted her the ability to protect the group and heal wounds. She's become very attached to Guts, but it's a much healthier attachment, as opposed to torturing him when they first met.

She has incrementally learned to become a better person through a collection of very small steps, from being responsible for a disabled woman, to surviving very dangerous situations where she had to take action instead of relying on others, to healing a man she once took pleasure in causing harm, to protecting a group of people with skills she once thought to be an abomination. She may still be vulnerable and naive, but her realisation that she was a terrible person has lead her to live a more fulfilling life and she can see the result of her actions in others. Gut's praising her again and again has been a big help, along with Schierke's guidance.

It'll be a big challenge for her self worth, how Casca and Guts act towards each other will put a strain on her I'm sure, but I'm really excited to see what Casca has to say to Farnese.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

SatansBestBuddy posted:

ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuck that's terrible

still the same pointless camera swiveling, still the same horrendous sound design, still the same complete lack of decent animation or editing, with added bonus's of completely ineffective lighting and piss poor framing

there is not one ounce of improvement from when this series started

ya'll are suffering from stockholm's at this point

this is how the PS2 game looked, and while it still looks and sounds pretty bad it at least had a decent grasp on how to frame a shot and how to light a scene so it looks like poo poo is on fire.

No, I'm just so used to it that its not even outrageous in being an absolute bomb, just depressing. The metal coloring is also laughable.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I watched it in 144p on my phone and I think it looks fine.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
lol at the neatly assembled pile of gore that he winds up on.

and Isidro's gesticulation gave me autism

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Honestly the anime looks way better in stills or when nobody is moving. Like it's still bad but it looks like something someone could make and think was okay.

But then people start moving and it's just a disaster.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

a lot of this is the method of delivery hampering though too. I haven't done so, but if you emulated this and only bumped the render res up, it would come out way ahead of the anime.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

My dream of a Berserk x Inferno Cop crossover grows more real with each passing second.

Disappointed that no one commented about the cameo in the last chapter from ADON CORBOLWITZ, LEADER OF THE BLUE WHALE HEAVY KNIGHTS!

Goddamn the Golden Age ruled.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 1, 2017

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Farnese can handle some of this but the eclipse if she sees it is pretty loving bad so I would not be surprised if she falls apart and they have trouble "retrieving" her from that world?

Also she's definitely developed a lot but it's strange to me that she just completely left behind some aspects of herself, like her sadism just disappeared overnight???? I feel like it's not that easy for her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Farnese can handle some of this but the eclipse if she sees it is pretty loving bad so I would not be surprised if she falls apart and they have trouble "retrieving" her from that world?

Also she's definitely developed a lot but it's strange to me that she just completely left behind some aspects of herself, like her sadism just disappeared overnight???? I feel like it's not that easy for her.

Well, her current preferred weapons are a set of very spiky vine whips, so I guess she's simply channeling her kinks in a useful direction for the party.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hot take Berserk needs to end with Caska and Guts brutally x-cut Griffith who shouldn't get one single solitary redemptive moment because he's the hugest rear end in a top hat.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 1, 2017

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Rodyle posted:

Hot take Berserk needs to end with Caska and Guts brutally x-cut Griffith who shouldn't get one single solitary redemptive moment because he's the hugest rear end in a top hat.

This is the coldest take

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

i think if anyone's gonna get ruined by witnessing the eclipse it's gonna be the literal child

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Casca might invade Farnese's body, then Farny will be left behind. :ohdear:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Balobam posted:

i think if anyone's gonna get ruined by witnessing the eclipse it's gonna be the literal child

To be fair, at least the girls have had something of a prep course for The Eclipse in the Troll Arc, the Horse, The Pagan Cult from Conviction, probably some other terrible things I'm forgetting. It probably won't loving matter, because what they'll see, hear and possibly even feel in there IS GOING TO BE FROM CASKA'S PERSPECTIVE so - um - good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't know if anyone can handle the Eclipse. Three out of three people who went in and survived are absolutely not okay.