Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nalesh posted:

First is if I go for a war race, I can barely get a single war started by the point where everyone around me have made defensive pacts with each other, and it pretty much just develops into an AI circlejerk after that.

Second is that if I go a non war race, I'm not really sure where to go from there after federations have started popping up, and not sure how big my standing army should be.

For the first one, be careful with declaring rivalries. Having the same rivals as another empire is like +25 opinion and that can quickly lead to your rivals declaring non-aggression pacts then defensive ones. edit: Also successful conquests lead to other empires seeing you as a threat and can lead to the same thing. As for standing armies, honestly unless you're dealing with a deficit you should probably stay close to your naval cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What'd be a good race setup for the first one by the way? Mod traits are fine.

Also would it be possible to go space america in this? Going to war with other factions and liberating them to make them friends? :v:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Also would it be possible to go space america in this? Going to war with other factions and liberating them to make them friends? :v:

You can declare war to "liberate" planets, which will create a new empire from the liberated planets that share your governing ethos and have an opinion bonus with you. Shouldn't be too hard to get them into a federation after that, or even possibly vassalize them. Pair it with charismatic and you're probably good to go.

As for the ideal war species, sort of depends on what you want to focus in on. At the very least repugnant is going to be a free trait. Decadent too if you're going for the slaver type. Anything that boosts mineral income is going to be handy for starting an early game war, so the industrious and strong traits and the mining guilds and slaver guild civics are handy. Strong is worse than Industrious, but it's not too hard to get both. Also, don't be afraid to go over your naval cap. It's not that big of a penalty to maintenance costs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nalesh posted:

The environmentalist (or whatever, the one that gives you less consumer goods requirements) trait is obscenely over powered right now. Intelligent is also pretty decent. You can take weak without too many problems to give yourself a few extra points to play with, doubly so if you give yourself syncretic evolution as an empire trait. The long lived trait is also useful for keeping your leaders around.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Captain Oblivious posted:

Perfect. Immortal. Machines.

A synthetic race gets +20% to all pop yields, 200% habitability, immortal leaders and a host of leader type specific bonuses.

It's true, but my people refuse to give up loving.

Piell posted:

Also you have to make them all by hand

By the time you can upload to synth bodies your core systems should be full anyway and sectors building by hand is functionally equivalent to them building automatically.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cyrano4747 posted:

The environmentalist (or whatever, the one that gives you less consumer goods requirements) trait is obscenely over powered right now. Intelligent is also pretty decent. You can take weak without too many problems to give yourself a few extra points to play with, doubly so if you give yourself syncretic evolution as an empire trait. The long lived trait is also useful for keeping your leaders around.

I still prefer the Silicoid approach, AKA extremely adaptable. gently caress all y'all, I'm gonna have half the galaxy colonized while you're still trying to figure out how to terraform things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

gently caress it, here's a screen shot of my latest species from my most recent play through. This worked INSANELY well.

The non-adaptive bit doesn't hurt much if you run syncratic evolution, as your buddies won't have it. They might not be bright but they're good enough for shoving out the door in a colony ship. Militarist with conservationist works obscenely well for cranking out a big fleet fast and winning an early war. Use your brain dead evo-buddies as cannon fodder. Once you conquer a neighbor you should have a whole different type of ecosystem opened up for colonization.

edit: if you really want to easy mode it start with missiles. They're really good early game when everyone's loving around with corvettes. Transition to ballistics for mid game and a mix of stuff for late game.

Or just start ballistics. That works really well too. I just hadn't done lasers since launch and wanted to dick around with them again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Piell posted:

Also you have to make them all by hand

That's what I'm worried about. I still haven't filled out my core system cap (x0.25 planets) and if I have to keep building pops everywhere it'll drive me crazy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, I finally got around to starting a new campaign, and got the big middle finger from the RNG. My home system is like 3 stars away from the galactic core, and there's another small-ish empire a short ways down the arm from me. I have to expand in the adjacent spiral arm :negative:

I'm not ready to crush this guy just yet. He's got more colonies than me, and anyway they're kind of friendly because we're both materialists and my humans are xenophiles. But, man, getting wedged between the galactic core and another empire sucks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

So, I finally got around to starting a new campaign, and got the big middle finger from the RNG. My home system is like 3 stars away from the galactic core, and there's another small-ish empire a short ways down the arm from me. I have to expand in the adjacent spiral arm :negative:

I'm not ready to crush this guy just yet. He's got more colonies than me, and anyway they're kind of friendly because we're both materialists and my humans are xenophiles. But, man, getting wedged between the galactic core and another empire sucks.

To prevent this, the console commands are your friend: Before starting a new game, I always take a short peak with the "observe"-command to see if something obnoxious like this is sitting around close to me. Then I'll just type in "play x" next and presto, I'm back in the game! Or I'll just restart if my neighbourhood is totally hosed.

Of course even restarting until you get your perfect start doesn't always help: In my most current game, Stellaris took revenge on me by spawning the Dathnak-anomaly five times in a row. I saved those bastards three times, than I gave up and just started to ignore them. Mostly because I secretly feared I would be running out of gas giants to put them in at that rate. :shepface:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

The non-adaptive bit doesn't hurt much if you run syncratic evolution

Non-adaptive is brutal. Not only can it possibly limit your early-game starting planets, but it's an across-the-board growth penalty for your main species all game.

Sendentary and Repugnant are free points, abuse them liberally.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
Is it possible for a game to bug out and not give any Guardian aliens/tech? I'm playing a large galaxy and I'm far in - got battleships and a 40k fleet. Only just met first Guardian after exploring almost all the map. It's a wraith. To make matters worse, when I killed it nothing happened - didn't get a battle summary, no special project, nothing.

Can games bug out and not give anomalies too? I swear I havent come across one for hours in this game..

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I started an ironman game for the purposes of trying to get that achievement for making everyone into robots. I ended up spawned between a fallen empire and some fanatical purifiers who blocked my hyperlane paths out of the spiral arm. Luckily I saw that Sol was not only two jumps from my homeworld, but also in the middle of a world war. Since that's an achievement I decided to go for it before quitting. So I made some assault armies, gave them some attachments, and invaded Earth. Didn't get the achievement.

I've got a mod installed that unlocks the auto-explore tech for everyone at the start of the game. I don't know if that's the issue or not. When I started the campaign the screen said I could earn achievements. Did I miss some condition beyond "invade Earth during a world war" or was the game mistaken about me being able to earn achievements?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The screen about whether or not achievements are possible is broke as gently caress. Chances are that mod screwed it up for you.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's a shame. I guess I'm done with achievements then because there's no way I'm going to stop using this mod. I have no idea why they patched in an auto-explore research instead of just unlocking auto-explore from the start.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

TTBF posted:

That's a shame. I guess I'm done with achievements then because there's no way I'm going to stop using this mod. I have no idea why they patched in an auto-explore research instead of just unlocking auto-explore from the start.

It comes up pretty early. I've never really noticed it being an issue since the last patch.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TTBF posted:

I started an ironman game for the purposes of trying to get that achievement for making everyone into robots. I ended up spawned between a fallen empire and some fanatical purifiers who blocked my hyperlane paths out of the spiral arm. Luckily I saw that Sol was not only two jumps from my homeworld, but also in the middle of a world war. Since that's an achievement I decided to go for it before quitting. So I made some assault armies, gave them some attachments, and invaded Earth. Didn't get the achievement.

I've got a mod installed that unlocks the auto-explore tech for everyone at the start of the game. I don't know if that's the issue or not. When I started the campaign the screen said I could earn achievements. Did I miss some condition beyond "invade Earth during a world war" or was the game mistaken about me being able to earn achievements?

One trick to finding out if your mod setup is cheevo compatible is to go to the multiplayer screen and if you don't get any available games then it's not compatible. As a general rule, the only mods that are achievement compatible are just cosmetic (and even then some purely cosmetic mods still don't work). Would be a good thing to just have the game say whether it's currently capable of getting achievements though.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Is it possible for a game to bug out and not give any Guardian aliens/tech? I'm playing a large galaxy and I'm far in - got battleships and a 40k fleet. Only just met first Guardian after exploring almost all the map. It's a wraith. To make matters worse, when I killed it nothing happened - didn't get a battle summary, no special project, nothing.

Can games bug out and not give anomalies too? I swear I havent come across one for hours in this game..

Some things only award stuff to the one that got the killing blow. Was there another fleet in that system that mighta sniped it from you?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i hate war in this. you either win decisively or lose decisively within 10 seconds or spend forever hopping around each others planets invading them cause the enemy never just wants to get it over with and do a definitive fleet fight (which, even if they do barely matters for war score)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The thing about warscore is that it works in small wars but gets really tedious when the civilizations start being big.

Which becomes an enormous problem when a certain major galactic event that hinges on the warscore system goes off.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Out of all the horrible suggestions this thread has produced, I don't recall anyone ever suggesting a policy that just auto-closes your borders to everyone, so I'm gonna go ahead and throw my lot in for that one.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

But that would significantly reduce the amount of clicking you need to do, so it'll never happen.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Good point. It also doesn't gut a major part of the game that people enjoy, so I can see now why no one suggested it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
If nothing else it should absolutely happen automatically for fanatic purifiers (and their hive mind equivalent), yeah

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People who enjoy the micro game in Stellaris as it is are seriously aids infected

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'm ok with the micro of choosing what buildings to put on a planet, but I'd sure appreciate a planet-wide "auto upgrade all buildings" toggle.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
You should really be able to apply planetary edicts from the planets and sectors screen

Furthermore why are sector edicts not a thing yet that seems like a pretty basic extension of the idea

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mondian posted:

I'm ok with the micro of choosing what buildings to put on a planet, but I'd sure appreciate a planet-wide "auto upgrade all buildings" toggle.

That too, yeah. If we got an auto-upgrade toggle (or just buildings auto-upgraded on research, though I guess that wouldn't work with labs) and the aforementioned border policies that would go a long way toward reducing some of the more fiddly clicking time sinks while you were at peace.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Captain Oblivious posted:

Furthermore why are sector edicts not a thing yet that seems like a pretty basic extension of the idea

But that might make sectors useful instead of a punishment.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Corbeau posted:

But that might make sectors useful instead of a punishment.

That's 95% of why I play with the minimum number of habitable planets.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

It comes up pretty early. I've never really noticed it being an issue since the last patch.

The last few games I've tried did not have that as the case for me. I had two games where I'd already surveyed 1/3rd of a large galaxy before it showed up. I grabbed the mod after I noticed that re-researchable techs had begun to pop up but I didn't have auto explore. I'll give it another shot though. Maybe I just had really bad luck.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
regardless of when it comes up, gating a basic UI feature behind a tech (a tech that's kind of crap otherwise, at that) is a bafflingly bad design decision

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Doesn't it also give +50% Survey Speed? That is a good bonus, at least before they nerfed PSC anyway.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

Doesn't it also give +50% Survey Speed? That is a good bonus, at least before they nerfed PSC anyway.

Surveys are super quick as it is, the majority of survey time is traveling from object to object.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

PittTheElder posted:

If it gave 50% bonus noncombat sublight speed to science ships, that would be great, since they spend the vast majority of their time jetting from body to body in gravity wells. Survey speed increase is certainly a thing, but it means they'll spend less time to accomplish the thing they spend the smallest proportion of their time doing.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm fine with when it shows up, it seems to pop around the time I've done most of my nearby exploration and am getting tired of telling science ships to do things. I do really wish it was much cheaper. It feels pretty bad to spend a year+ researching 'you don't have to click as much'.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not even researching it most of the time, I have too much fun planning the routes for my science ships. Generally only after most of the map is explored do I finally break down and research it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You can cheese it into existence pretty early if you dump a computer scientist into physics. It's right after the +5% research tech.

What kills me is my initial corvette exploration stage. I have in the past started a game, split them up, contemplated the 50+ clicks I was about to engage in, and closed the game to go play something else. "Go visit every system nearby I haven't visited" should not be that hard.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

Non-adaptive is brutal. Not only can it possibly limit your early-game starting planets, but it's an across-the-board growth penalty for your main species all game.

I play as non-adaptive robot start often, since they start just 2 techs away from droids it works out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Sectors are a lot less odious than other games I've played, and honestly, I was pretty tempted to throw most of my planets under sector management since I got kind of sick of shuffling poo poo around. You wanna see lovely forced sectors, play Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence.

Anyways, I binged on this game this past few days. I hadn't played since launch, where I liked it, but shelved it when a stupid bug ate my game. I went and got all the DLC for it and played it again, and, well, like I said, I binged it, so I enjoyed it a lot.

I wrote a lot of words about what transpired. Too much to put in here in good taste, so I put it on pastebin. Nothing worth reading unless you like dumb space anecdotes. [https://pastebin.com/Fsg6LJy3

In terms of gameplay stuff, tho, some thoughts.

- I probably could stand to bother customizing ships. I'm not sure how big a deal it actually is; the interface is not that forthcoming/straightforward about customizing stuff or the impact of doing so as, say, Galactic Civilizations 2.is. I suppose its all there, in the after battle reports, to see what damage was done or whatnot, but the whole processes seems to have the problem of being kind of over complex, and also kind of shallow in terms of outcome. The whole system seems a lot less flexible, in general.

- Another thing I miss from GalCiv is the logistics skill, which limited the amount of ships you could have in a fleet. I just cruised around in a deathball. Sometimes enemy fleets tried to play evasive, but then I just went ahead and steamrolled their planets, one after another, until they had to give up. Helped that I had vassals, who were running around with smaller fleets, and thus were suited to mop things up while I crushed their larger fleets.

- Planetary invasions are... well, it seems like there's stuff going on with it, but who friggin cares I guess. Army buff stuff seems pointless. Better army units seem pointless. Roll up with a fleet, blow up their stockades, then dump 30 assault troops on their head and dust off. You don't even need to maintain a garrison to hold territory, which seems pretty borked. Full bombardment, for all its displayed as something kind of rude to do, doesn't do much in terms of loving up planets. I'd feel that ground wars should be a lot more difficult, or at least, require some large scale planning and have a lot more devastating impact on the planet. You don't even have to worry about attrition for your own armies, generally, which is both nice for reducing micro, but also kind of lame, since it just makes the whole thing pretty mindless.

- Slavery unrest was underwhelming. Unrest in general was. You just build around 5 defensive armies, then never care again. They hardly cost much.

- I had way, way, way too much food. Its a boring system; I wish there was some kind of supply line mechanic going on. Nothing you'd have to micro, but just like, if you've got a world that runs a 25 food deficit, then blockades or things like that should become much more of a concern. Or something to represent the planning that would have to go with supplying an intergalactic armada and invasion force. If not logistic lines proper, then just something like, stockpiling food planet side and setting up automatic shipments to other worlds or forces, or carrying around supply barges alongside your fleets. It'd help discourage the deathball tactic, in any case.

- I really like how the game has a lot more of a sense of permanency in terms of populations, ethics, and such, or just that sociological stuff is represented at all. In GalCiv, or gently caress, most 4x games in general, you go to war once, crush them, and then that race is pretty much dead forever and you're kind of left wondering what happened to all those people you conquered/assimilated. In this game, In this one, you get a lot more sense of space really being populated, and those populations being more than just a resource. I'm honestly kind of surprised Paradox put a literal genocide option in their game, but something about the way the pop system all come together helps emphasis the actual abject sociopathy in doing so, more than it would be if population / demographics were merely scales or bar graphs.

- For all the above, tho, I think conquered peoples are a little too compliant when it comes to being conquered and enslaved, and I'm not sure ethic drift alone is enough to represent the development of ethnic/nationalist blocs within a state. I wanna have some section of my territory end up being a bunch of space boonies. Some kind of culture system, I guess. It'd make doing things like shipping enslaved races off of planets a bit more meaningless / necessary, as a means to destroy identity, for instance. Man, I feel like an rear end in a top hat for even typing that.

- Last one is kind of a narrative thing I guess, but man, for all the background stuff you find talking about precursors and prior civilizations and the existence of the fallen empires, I kind of question how such things could arise. At the end of my game, I had begun transforming large sections of the galaxy into new worlds, mining the hell out of everything, and blowing up primitives more or less on a whim. I'd be hard pressed to think how the clock could be turned back at all on it. There's really no sense of decline, at all possible, for the galaxy at large. Once a world is occupied and covered in industry, there's not much currently in the game that can change that. Not much entropy in the system, really. I guess minerals don't ever run out either to give that sense of decline, although if they did, that'd just leave the galaxy feeling more used up than it already does, at the end of a game.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 1, 2017

• Locked thread