Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Nethack is not an RPG. Your role as a player is entirely defined by the starting race and class.

Nethack isn't an RPG you're correct but not for the reasons you think, it's a dungeon crawler with RPG elements. I guess with some semantic gerrymandering you could construe it as a classical CRPG but if you wanted to play six degrees of seperation Call of Duty's multiplayer could be portrayed as an RPG.

Point here is CRPGs were basically pen and paper campaigns moved to the computer. They allowed multiple solutions to problems and generally incorporated similar formulas. Their defining features were non-singular solutions (when they felt like it) and character creation that mirrored that of PnP RPGs. In Wasteland's case it's Mercenaries Spies and Private Eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the best rpg ever made (planescape torment) uses an engine that's just a digital version of AD&D 2.5 or w/e so that follows

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
planescape is not the best rpg ever made

its good dont get me wrong but the best rpg ever made is dwarf fortress

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

i do occasionally. waiting for the new DF update that's gonna flesh out adventure mode a ton.

my personal reccomendation in this vein as of late is Armored Commander, which is a really great roguelite (its basically nothing like rogue) where you play as a commander of a Sherman tank in WW2. Very unique and very fun.

i think the definition of rogue-like has changed over time. it no longer mean a game like rogue. today it means "gameplay mechanics are more important that graphics, also maybe turn based"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

basic hitler posted:

you're free to share but you are not free to do so without being criticized!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the other hand every opinion in this thread is presumably subject to criticism because it's the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i think the definition of rogue-like has changed over time. it no longer mean a game like rogue. today it means "gameplay mechanics are more important that graphics, also maybe turn based"

i shudder to think that old x-com is considered a roguelike to many people, let alone new xcom :barf:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

planescape is not the best rpg ever made

its good dont get me wrong but the best rpg ever made is dwarf fortress

nah that poo poo's only like 6/10 because of the poo poo graphics and the RNG nature of everything can easily yield a poo poo experience that will send you back to generating a new world for 30 minutes

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

SpaceClown posted:

Nethack isn't an RPG you're correct but not for the reasons you think, it's a dungeon crawler with RPG elements. I guess with some semantic gerrymandering you could construe it as a classical CRPG but if you wanted to play six degrees of seperation Call of Duty's multiplayer could be portrayed as an RPG.

Point here is CRPGs were basically pen and paper campaigns moved to the computer. They allowed multiple solutions to problems and generally incorporated similar formulas. Their defining features were non-singular solutions (when they felt like it) and character creation that mirrored that of PnP RPGs. In Wasteland's case it's Mercenaries Spies and Private Eyes.
yeah but if nethack isnt an rpg neither is Wizardry. You make some valid points here, certainly, and what constitutes an rpg is fairly nebulous. I don't think it's right to marry the concept to it's PNP roots and conceits. DF is not an RPG btw. It is a dwarf simulator.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah doesn't DF have more in common with top-down management games like Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper in the end?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dwarf Fortress is much more fun to read about than to play.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Barris posted:

yeah but if nethack isnt an rpg neither is Wizardry. You make some valid points here, certainly, and what constitutes an rpg is fairly nebulous. I don't think it's right to marry the concept to it's PNP roots and conceits. DF is not an RPG btw. It is a dwarf simulator.

the definition of a computer game RPG started as "a game with stats, like D&D" but that obviously doesnt work any more because thats literally every game now. Call of Duty is an RPG :v:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The development of regenerating health was overall a good thing because it allows for every encounter to potentially go full out and throw everything at you.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The Xen level in Half Life 1 and all the alien levels after it absolutely ruled and produced some of the most magical gaming memories I can recall. Total seriouspost.

Then again back then I used to play with cheats on all the time so for me it was primarily about enjoying the art direction and having fun invincibly shooting infinite ammo at aliens and noclipping past the really tedious parts while still oogling at how strange and cool that little universe was.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Universe Master posted:

The development of regenerating health was overall a good thing because it allows for every encounter to potentially go full out and throw everything at you.
You are an inhuman monster. Aside from Halo 1 I've never enjoyed regenerating health. Turtling is worse than having to figure out a room of enemies like a puzzle, even if it means dying 200 times.

----------

TRPG stories universally suck, even the original Final Fantasy tactics. Well, the first Front Mission was enjoyable in a "Metal Gear" kind-of way. Ogre Battle/Ogre Battle 64 are infinitely better than Tatics Ogre.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Universe Master posted:

This is correct in theory but in practice it means devs don't actually design encounters anymore they just fling enemies at you.

There is definitely room for both systems, though, and regen games have saturated the market to the point where a new FPS without auto-regen automatically has a point in its favor from me not because it's better but because it's different.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

You are an inhuman monster. Aside from Halo 1 I've never enjoyed regenerating health. Turtling is worse than having to figure out a room of enemies like a puzzle, even if it means dying 200 times.

----------

TRPG stories universally suck, even the original Final Fantasy tactics. Well, the first Front Mission was enjoyable in a "Metal Gear" kind-of way. Ogre Battle/Ogre Battle 64 are infinitely better than Tatics Ogre.

Halo 1 doesn't have regenerating health

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Probably why he enjoyed it

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah doesn't DF have more in common with top-down management games like Evil Genius and Dungeon Keeper in the end?

only if you play fortress mode

the game really shines and comes into its own in adventurer mode.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Jesus loving christ, there's so much nerding in this thread now my acne is coming back.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"I am a really cool person" - A goon desperately tries to project to a thread.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Doom 2016 had the compromise system of "You can have lots of health, but it's inside monster bodies and you have to fight for it." which I also liked.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

hawowanlawow posted:

Um, excuse me, sir; Halo 1 had regenerating shields. It did not, in fact, have regenerating health. This is an important distinction and if you're going to participate in serious adult discussions you would do well to get it right.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

hawowanlawow posted:

It was probably the first truly mainstream FPS that had a regenerating shield system which is kinda the same thing. It was a massively influential title, and was probably a factor in the proliferation of regenerating health games that followed. fart.

e: great, pre-nerded

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Um, excuse me, sir; Halo 1 had regenerating shields. It did not, in fact, have regenerating health. This is an important distinction and if you're going to participate in serious adult discussions you would do well to get it right.

my point exactly

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

This thread blows when it's nerd slap fights panickedly trying to defend their opinion,s

Just relax your sphincters and let the poo poo post ease its way out, quit straining so hard:

Horizon Zero Dawn never interested me but i was stoked for ReCore for the double jump & sick air dashing (no xbone tho)!!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

hawowanlawow posted:

my point exactly

If they'd called it something different it would matter.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

poo poo's tame as heck in here

I liked neverwinter nights and nwn 2. I completed them both but tapped out of both bg1 & 2.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

heroes of newerth was objectively better than dota and lol before it went f2p

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

cod: mw was a more seminal game in terms of design than hl2

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

If they'd called it something different it would matter.

?

cod:mw was the poo poo, but gently caress martyrdom

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Phantasy Star Online, while not a bad game, was not a proper Phantasy Star game.

Jeza posted:

cod: mw was a more seminal game in terms of design than hl2

In terms of development dollars redirected as a result I'd say you're right.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I Was a big fan of MGS1 and I had no problems playing as Raiden in MGS2 when it came out cause even 15y/o me understood the point was to show how cool snake was from a diff POV

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The best Metal Gear game stars Raiden.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

hawowanlawow posted:

?

cod:mw was the poo poo, but gently caress martyrdom

They call shields health and health something else...soul, testicular fortitude, whatever, somehow this changes the nature of the mechanic.

Is this a "my immersion!" thing?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

The best Metal Gear game stars Raiden.

Dead On

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

They call shields health and health something else...soul, testicular fortitude, whatever, somehow this changes the nature of the mechanic.

Is this a "my immersion!" thing?

Nah, it had both shields and health. Halo 2 ditched the health in favor of stronger shields + cod-style regenerating health

Also energy weapons did more damage to shields and ballistic did more when shields were down

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MGS4 Raiden sucked, I didn't like them making him dark and broody and a secret badass to appeal to western criticism. Raiden is at his best when he's a loving nerd who gets tricked and owned constantly:

MGS2 :rock:
Revengeance :rock:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I didn't actually play MGS4, only watched the cutscenes...dark and broody didn't seem like an apt description, more like depressed and suicidal.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

VideoTapir posted:

I didn't actually play MGS4, only watched the cutscenes

So you've played the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bioware games are trash on a level that really outshines how trashy other trash video games are

their trademark is "romance options written by people who have never experienced romance, or indeed any other emotion towards another living being"