Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Might as well hope Alpha to be translated.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Edit: Whoa, an ominous page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Broken Loose posted:

I mean, we said that about Moon Dwellers, and then V came out and a shitload of people bought it. No numbers, but I have anecdotal evidence of a ton of English-speaking fans all bought V (who never imported SRW before) including people who are new to the series. Just look at this thread, for starters.

I'm hopeful.

I tried to buy it off Playasia in February. It was sold out until April 1st.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, it seems kinda silly that developers are surprised that if you open your game to expand from the population of Japan to...the world, you pick up a few more sales that it's worth even a haphazard translation effort.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How could they talk openly about sales in English speaking areas outside of Singapore without licensees getting annoyed though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

How could they talk openly about sales in English speaking areas outside of Singapore without licensees getting annoyed though?

Yeah, this is the thing I wonder about. Though I imagine at worst you'd have No Macross Ever which wouldn't be the worst loss if it meant No loving Frontier Ever Again.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

ImpAtom posted:

No loving Frontier Ever Again.

I can live with this.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think generally they would just generally classify those as Singapore/Eng speaking Asia in sales reports anyway? Like I'm sure that whatever sales data they get back isn't going to mention that an American bought a wallet card to buy the eng version digitally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The GIG posted:

A decent number of Japanese publishers seem to really want to go all in on SEA territories so I wouldn't be surprised.

KoB posted:

Most of them have said that their international releases are more important than ever.
Sales in Japan are dwindling, which is why most JP companies are reaching out to other countries. JRPGs on steam, SEA releases, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also macross delta is really crying out to be in SRW, since it has amazing music and a bunch of great characters that are sadly held back by kind of haphazard plotting, especially in the second half. I do hope it gets to be in at some point.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
It better have the idol group as a unit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

also macross delta is really crying out to be in SRW, since it has amazing music and a bunch of great characters that are sadly held back by kind of haphazard plotting, especially in the second half. I do hope it gets to be in at some point.
I'm also looking forward to Delta in SRW, though I wonder if/when it debuts it won't be alongside the new Macross coming out next year.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Endorph posted:

Honestly I'd be fine with Macross never being used in a mainline SRW game again if it means we keep getting SEA English versions

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm pretty sure any game that gets a SEA version will not have Macross because of the thing. SS size Basaras would be amazing but rip. And yeah, playasia was sold out of V and Singapore PSN cards at the time of release and for a little while after. The only other thing I can think of people getting Singapore cards for was Nioh and even then that was out in the rest of the world within the week iirc so I doubt that accounted for much compared to V.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Does Harmony Gold hold the license everyone but Japan?

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Endorph posted:

Sales in Japan are dwindling, which is why most JP companies are reaching out to other countries. JRPGs on steam, SEA releases, etc.
Thanks, Japanese NEETs and children, you've finally saved the SRW series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davzz posted:

Thanks, Japanese NEETs and children, you've finally saved the SRW series.
i think more specifically it's the lack of children

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

KoB posted:

Does Harmony Gold hold the license everyone but Japan?

To grossly oversimplify: They don't, but they think they do, and they fight so hard about it that nobody particularly wants to wrangle the rights back from them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the bit where one of the harmony gold guys derisively went 'do you guys really want to see robotech frontier? robotech 7?'

because. yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

i like the bit where one of the harmony gold guys derisively went 'do you guys really want to see robotech frontier? robotech 7?'

because. yes.

God, seeing what they would do to Macross 7 would be amazing.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
How are the non-Alpha PS1 SRWs? I'm thinking about grabbing them off PSN. It looks like most of them are remakes, aside from Shin?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

God, seeing what they would do to Macross 7 would be amazing.
All of the songs would be sung by people who can't sing for poo poo. Gamlin Kick would be cut for run time purposes.

Also, what is up with the Will Riker avatars?

Getsuya posted:

How are the non-Alpha PS1 SRWs? I'm thinking about grabbing them off PSN. It looks like most of them are remakes, aside from Shin?
Complete Box is basically a compilation set of a few games (3 + F/F Final, and I think EX as well) with a...questionable soundtrack. If you want to see the Classic timeline in higher definitions (for the time period, mind), go for it. Just be prepared for all the quirks of Classic SRW, such as attacks performed at range 2 outwards eating a damage penalty because gently caress you.

Shin SRW is the weird experimental one with realistically proportioned unit sprites and is where the original concepts of the SRX TEam debuted. Major changes from their modern counterparts include Ryusei being a bit more of a jerk and Aya having romantic feelings towards Ryusei. Also, Master Asia is an alien. Also also, Voltes V disappears for good after about 15 stages unless you take the Earth Route path (IIRC). Shin SRW is Voltes V's debut in the series, for the record.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AradoBalanga posted:

Also also, Voltes V disappears for good after about 15 stages unless you take the Earth Route path (IIRC). Shin SRW is Voltes V's debut in the series, for the record.

Early SRW was weird.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Can't skip the attack animations? Maybe I'll just play Alpha again instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
In terms of actual gameplay I'd say few if any of the pre Alpha games are worth bothering with these days

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

All of the songs would be sung by people who can't sing for poo poo. Gamlin Kick would be cut for run time purposes.

Also, what is up with the Will Riker avatars?

Someone bought people a bunch of them. I want my old one back but last time I tried to change they just re-bought it for me. :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had a weird thought when I listening to SRW soundtracks while out jogging just now: did "MX" ever end up meaning anything to the plot of SRWX? It wasn't a reference to the final boss in any way I can think of, that was a different abbreviation with a double meaning.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wasn't the hero army called Magnate X?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

I forget what the default was, I am sure I called them the Asuka and her loyal servants or something. But like, they talk about the alpha in Alpha as meaning all the new unknowns they got, Z is Zodiac which is obviously closely related to the plot, etc.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Early SRW was weird.

haha yes weird definitely not the devs just not giving a gently caress :shepface:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Race Realists posted:

haha yes weird definitely not the devs just not giving a gently caress :shepface:

It was weird regardless.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I forget what the default was, I am sure I called them the Asuka and her loyal servants or something.

It was Magnate Ten or X, yeah. And on top of Toei Kouji's usual suggestion and Shinji's Neon Squadron Evangelion, Asuka does go with 努力根性のセカンドレッド、惣流・アスカ・ラングレーとその忠実なるしもべ達.

MX doesn't allow enough characters or kanji in the squad name, though! :argh:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
smh if u didn't name your army the purupurupurururus whenever given the chance

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Someone bought people a bunch of them. I want my old one back but last time I tried to change they just re-bought it for me. :smith:

What was your old avatar anyway? I always think of the Iceman one from years back..

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

What was your old avatar anyway? I always think of the Iceman one from years back..
The little dancing Mercy gif was his last one, IIRC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Broken Loose posted:

smh if u didn't name your army the purupurupurururus whenever given the chance

I usually go with the name of my college RPG club.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

AradoBalanga posted:

Shin SRW is the weird experimental one with realistically proportioned unit sprites and is where the original concepts of the SRX TEam debuted. Major changes from their modern counterparts include Ryusei being a bit more of a jerk and Aya having romantic feelings towards Ryusei. Also, Master Asia is an alien. Also also, Voltes V disappears for good after about 15 stages unless you take the Earth Route path (IIRC). Shin SRW is Voltes V's debut in the series, for the record.

Aya had romantic feelings towards Amuro in Shin, which was even weirder.

Shin is a very strange game that made some very bad choices. But I think it's still one of the highest selling SRWs?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Well, you question is answered by some nice anonymous person who is super nice.

MarsDragon posted:

Aya had romantic feelings towards Amuro in Shin, which was even weirder.

Shin is a very strange game that made some very bad choices. But I think it's still one of the highest selling SRWs?

Aya is bad at romance. No matter what. She always makes the wrong choices.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

AradoBalanga posted:

Complete Box is basically a compilation set of a few games (3 + F/F Final, and I think EX as well) with a...questionable soundtrack. If you want to see the Classic timeline in higher definitions (for the time period, mind), go for it. Just be prepared for all the quirks of Classic SRW, such as attacks performed at range 2 outwards eating a damage penalty because gently caress you.

Minor correction, Complete Box is 2, 3 and EX.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Nephrite posted:

Minor correction, Complete Box is 2, 3 and EX.
Whoops, my bad. Could have sworn it also included F and F Final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

F and F Final did get standalone PSX releases, so you might be thinking of that.

• Locked thread