Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

how long has Kingdom Hearts 3 been in production? FF15 took like what, 8 years and several iterations, and it was obvious by chapters 8-13 of that game that it limped to the finish line. How is this company so loving bad at game production when everyone else can get poo poo done in 2-3 years?

I think it's been in official production since 2013-2014? They probably worked on it some after BBS, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/869918642305204228

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ubisoft is saved.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I figured this would be their new logo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a magic circle to ward off hostile takeovers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mordja posted:

Ubisoft is saved.

Worked for the Dreamcast.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

DLC Inc posted:

FF15 took like what, 8 years and several iterations, and it was obvious by chapters 8-13 of that game that it limped to the finish line.

ff15 was effectively cancelled by it's publisher and given to a new studio 3 years before it released. it's just they own the ip and they didn't change some character designs or it's style. the only work that carried over is the kind of stuff thats knocked out in the first 4-8 weeks of a project by the director and a few concept artists before they actual get a full crew on it. it's like saying prey was in development since 2006 instead of 2013.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a magic circle to ward off hostile takeovers.

Vivendi is a seabear

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

The last guardian was awesome

Gotta love how fashionable it is these days for people to rent it, play the first hour, and decide it sucks.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

DLC Inc posted:

how long has Kingdom Hearts 3 been in production? FF15 took like what, 8 years and several iterations, and it was obvious by chapters 8-13 of that game that it limped to the finish line. How is this company so loving bad at game production when everyone else can get poo poo done in 2-3 years?

FF15 was originally announced as FF Versus 13 back in 2006. It was reannounced as FF 15 at E3 2013 during the PS4 launch conference. So it came out 10 years after the original announcement, 3 years after becoming FF 15.

Not sure when KH 3 started development but that was also first revealed at E3 2013.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Mr President posted:

FF15 was originally announced as FF Versus 13 back in 2006. It was reannounced as FF 15 at E3 2013 during the PS4 launch conference. So it came out 10 years after the original announcement, 3 years after becoming FF 15.

Not sure when KH 3 started development but that was also first revealed at E3 2013.

Yeah, when you get into reboots and new iterations, the term "development time" starts to get a bit confused.

Take the Gamecube Kirby game announced back in... 2004/2005? That became vaporware (since this was back when Nintendo didn't announce only stuff they were 100% certain was going to come out), and went through three reboots before a finished product finally came out in 2011 an entire console generation later (Kirby's Return to Dreamland). And we only even know about two of those reboots because the developers said that had happened behind the scenes. In that case, it in theory took ~6-7 years to come out, but in reality it was more "the original game got cancelled, two other games were started up and then cancelled behind the scenes, and then a game came out with basically no connection to the originally announced title outside of a few nods to the fanbase".

For a better example, take Duke Nukem Forever's legendarily long development until it finally made it to market. The final iteration (the one that came out and sucked) didn't have an outrageous development time or even that shaky of a development (given the claims about it being 90% done at the time of the original cancellation), but that was built on the backs of several other iterations abandoned for one reason or another.

FF15 I think would fit into the latter example more than the former, but it's hard to tell how much was leftover from when Versus 13 got canned and how much was entirely new when the idea to reboot it as FF15 first hit Square.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm still waiting for Project HAMMER to resurface

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm still waiting for Project HAMMER to resurface

Wasn't there a much hyped OG Xbox exclusive with hammer based gameplay that also vanished?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Twitch schedule

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Why are they still doing the PC Gaming show. Does anyone actually watch it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh yeah gimme those loving reaction shows

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Oh yeah this game looks really sweet, can't wait"
hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's the good poo poo right there

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Infinitum posted:

"Oh yeah this game looks really sweet, can't wait"
hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh that's the good poo poo right there

I liked the Shenmue 3 one on GameTrailers when they started climbing on chairs and screaming.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJTWEEi6BM

never not post this

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Will Adam Sessler do a line of coke live on screen this year?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Infinitum posted:

Oh yeah gimme those loving reaction shows

Someone call 911, I'm having an XBox reaction.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's it

Yeaaaah baby tell me all about how much of a risk it's gonna be for the dev team to pull off

I'm so loving cloooosssseeee

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm so happy for those guys, that they finally got to play Shenmue 3

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Someone call 911, I'm having an XBox reaction.

This is why you carry an epipen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That said I don't mind Giant Bombs simulcast occasionally, but I do like to just sit back and enjoy the gently caress out of the conference and sperg it up in thread

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Infinitum posted:

That's it

Yeaaaah baby tell me all about how much of a risk it's gonna be for the dev team to pull off

I'm so loving cloooosssseeee

The Last of Us Part 2 is going to redefine video games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I maintain that E3 2015 was so intense that it killed Game Trailers

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm so happy for those guys, that they finally got to play Shenmue 3

Shenmue 3 is a MOBA now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FF8rzyZbho

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You mean to tell me she wasn't freaking pumped about that ESO update?!?!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm just so loving excited about VIDEO GAMES

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Infinitum posted:

I'm just so loving excited about VIDEO GAMES

Yeah same.

:yeah: :same:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So did they just pay some gently caress to sit there and freak out?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yes, it's called video game journalism.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You've just discovered the secret to Ubisoft conferences.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinitum posted:

You've just discovered the secret to Ubisoft conferences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecffZBdhAUU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That right there is a prime example of why the Nintendo Direct style of reveal is the correct way to go. Just show off your poo poo in 100% the best light possible all with the simple press of the play button.

That said we wouldn't have the comedy E3 cringe hours we've come to know and love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VGdUVfd98

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ubisoft iceream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I for one hope in all vain that the Bethesda press conference involves Todd Howard coming out and saying that the Fallout IP now belongs to Obsidian and then Josh Sawyer runs in and stone cold stuns Howard before announcing Fallout New Vegas 2. Really I just want a good Fallout game in a cool setting again :negative:

• Locked thread