Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nut to Butt posted:

It's actually possible to decline a Nobel prize, but that would've required Obama to have a scintilla of personal integrity.

Seriousposting here for a second but I don't think that's exactly fair. That's probably meant for people who for whatever reason can't accept the award on moral grounds, like maybe for some religious reason, or they're worried that what they're being recognized for could have bad ramifications down the road (like Nobel himself and the invention of dynamite). Obama rejecting it because they made a mistake choosing him would have come off as weird and rude and not a great thing to start his presidency with either.

Obama wasn't a great president but it's kinda weird how people always like, blame him for being awarded a prize by a bunch of foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"If Hillary Clinton is up for another presidential run, would that be a good thing for your party?" CNN anchor Dana Bash asked.

Emanuel was not quick with an answer.

"You know, look, you're asking something that—we're not even first through the midterm election. She hasn't even declared, for me to say that—" he started.

Bash pressed him, but Emanuel insisted that the question was "not a good question."

"You know, I love you," said an increasingly flustered Emanuel. "It's not a good question. OK? So the question is, it's not a good question."

"Why not?" Bash asked. "She sounded like she could be a candidate again. Would you think that's a good idea? You're a party leader."

"I happen to love Hillary, and I think she's full of energy," Emanuel said of Clinton, who was recently overcome by a coughing fit while delivering a commencement address.

He then went on to explain that it didn't matter what was in his head, but rather what was in her heart.

"And I happen to think there's a lot of time between now and the presidential [election], and she has to decide whether that's in her heart," he said. "We have a lot of time between now and the presidential election of 2020. Hillary has a lot to offer. The core question is not whether I think she would be a good candidate. It's whether she wants to run"

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
At this point I think we can dispense with any vestige of cloak-and-dagger.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There is no lmao big enough, they're actually going to do it

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

"If Hillary Clinton is up for another presidential run, would that be a good thing for your party?" CNN anchor Dana Bash asked.

"It would kinda disprove the existence of a loving God"

Hell, same

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Someone stop her before she loses again

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

nigga crab pollock posted:

no they were actually very happy, as Obama was the best president we've ever had

Poll: Most don't think Obama deserved Nobel award

The Peace Prize

Our Laureate: Neda of Iran

The Peace (Keepers) Prize

NBC's Lauer: Not to Be Rude, but Obama Hasn't Done Anything

Hilarious . . . And Sad

Hopes And Prospects (Amnesty International Lecture)

Obama's Nobel for Good Intentions

A Weighty Prize

Obama and the Nobel: He loses by winning

Another Fine Mess: Comics Whack Obama

A Nobel for a Good Two Weeks?

Palin, Vaughn, Rabinowitz Win Awards

Obama's Nobel and America's Popularity

Obama Wins Booker Prize

Riddle: Why didn't Barack Obama win the Nobel Prize for Literature?

Obama's Nobel Is Premature, Historians and Political Scientists Say

What Obama Should Do With His Nobel Peace Prize

Brooks, Marcus Discuss Potential Peace Prize Backfire, Rangel Controversy

Bolton: Decline It

Obama's Nobel: Mixed Blessing at Best

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
no but now that everyone's seen how bad trump really is she's sure to win! it's in the bag!!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Streak posted:

no but now that everyone's seen how bad trump really is she's sure to win! it's in the bag!!

I want to go home to that alternate timeline people are always bringing up. :(

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

Seriousposting here for a second but I don't think that's exactly fair. That's probably meant for people who for whatever reason can't accept the award on moral grounds, like maybe for some religious reason, or they're worried that what they're being recognized for could have bad ramifications down the road (like Nobel himself and the invention of dynamite). Obama rejecting it because they made a mistake choosing him would have come off as weird and rude and not a great thing to start his presidency with either.

Obama wasn't a great president but it's kinda weird how people always like, blame him for being awarded a prize by a bunch of foreigners.
I think it was weird, presumptuous, and not a great decision on their part, and declining would've been the correct thing to do, especially given the typical moral demands made upon a person occupying the Presidency. It's possible to decline something gracefully, and doing so would've tempered expectations rather than indulging the worst of their euphoric delusion. I don't blame anyone who wants to accept $1.4 million no-strings-attached, but as Barack Obama said in 2010, "I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money." and I think his point had probably been reached by the time he was elected President of the richest and most powerful nation in history. Call me crazy.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The_Franz posted:

In the memoir of the former director of the Nobel Institute they admitted that giving him the award was a mistake.

God help you if you dared publicly question him getting the award at the time though.

LOL. Obama didn't even want to go pick it up in person.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
From memory, the winner for the Nobel Peace Prize was decided by a bunch of Norwegian career politicians because it's a joke award. They were likely going to lose the next election, so realised this was the only opportunity to meet Obama who at that point was a worldwide phenomenon. They voted Obama for that reason.

The award itself has been meaningless since Kissinger won it while conducting a bombing campaign.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

how about otto von bismarck

yeah he's pretty poo poo. so's that pol pot dude. hmm...think i'm gonna need to work on this for a while

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

T.S. Smelliot posted:

"You know, look, you're asking something that—we're not even first through the midterm election. She hasn't even declared, for me to say that—" he started.

Bash pressed him, but Emanuel insisted that the question was "not a good question."

"You know, I love you," said an increasingly flustered Emanuel. "It's not a good question. OK? So the question is, it's not a good question."

"Why not?" Bash asked. "She sounded like she could be a candidate again. Would you think that's a good idea? You're a party leader."

"I happen to love Hillary, and I think she's full of energy," Emanuel said of Clinton, who was recently overcome by a coughing fit while delivering a commencement address.

He then went on to explain that it didn't matter what was in his head, but rather what was in her heart.

"And I happen to think there's a lot of time between now and the presidential [election], and she has to decide whether that's in her heart," he said. "We have a lot of time between now and the presidential election of 2020. Hillary has a lot to offer. The core question is not whether I think she would be a good candidate. It's whether she wants to run"

That's a really roundabout way of saying "She's going to run again and it's a terrible idea"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Obama Did Everything Wrong

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
that's not an approved talking point you loving worm, why don't you wriggle around a bit you gently caress, you PIECE OF poo poo

lol

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Was this thread where people were optimistic about Booker?

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/868878055246352384

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/868883621947604992

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Was this thread where people were optimistic about Booker?

i dont think anyone was tbh

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
There was one Dem thread where people were talking about him as the great hope for 2020.

"lol," and such.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Accretionist posted:

There was one Dem thread where people were talking about him as the great hope for 2020.

"lol," and such.

wtf why

didnt he go out of his way to defend bain capital in 2012?

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Il Federale posted:

wtf why

didnt he go out of his way to defend bain capital in 2012?

Yeah. At the end he compares the Bain Capital ads that Obama ran to Reverend Wright attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXpALlY4SVU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary is a victim. You democrats gave her nothing. NOTHING.

http://www.politico.com/video/2017/05/31/clinton-i-was-the-victim-of-an-assumption-that-i-would-win-063268

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

booker sucks rear end and most everyone already knew it.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Instead of $80 Jeb! guac bowls we can buy $80 Corey! miniature snow shovels?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://fortune.com/2017/05/31/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-election-russia-code-conference/

quote:

Media Coverage of Her Goldman Sachs Speeches

Both Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump criticized Clinton's decision to give paid speeches to Goldman Sachs after she ended her tenure as Secretary of State, decrying that she embodied the establishment and would need to answer to Wall Street as President.

But Clinton defended her decision to give the speeches, explaining that they were among the many speeches she gave to multiple groups, and pointing out that Swisher and Mossberg had Goldman Sachs at the conference she was currently speaking at.

"Why do you have them [Goldman Sachs] here?" she asked Swisher.

Swisher responded that the bank had paid.

"They paid me," said Clinton. "Men got paid for the speeches they made. I got paid for the speeches I made. It was used and I thought it was unfairly used but it was part of the background music."

Turns out it was foreground music.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

feminism means being as corrupt and awful as men.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
hillary clinton and trump are similar in the sense that they are both pathological liars who are equally unwilling to accept any responsibility for their self-inflicted fuckups and neither should be involved in politics on any level

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i want to know what's in this but i dont have the stomach to watch it and there's no transcript. :saddowns:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Homestar Runner posted:

hillary clinton and trump are similar in the sense that they are both pathological liars who are equally unwilling to accept any responsibility for their self-inflicted fuckups and neither should be involved in politics on any level

yeah don't tell a partisan shithead that though they'll just throw an autistic shitfit over the internet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LOL

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
My wife peels and eats babies like grapes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all the women in my life only came around to gay marriage when it was politically convenient and not decades ago.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

feminism means being as corrupt and awful as men.

Also committing war crimes and starving people death so multi-national corporations can improve their bottom line.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

amanda marcotte really is quite a special person isn't she? I truly envy anyone lucky enough to be in that social circle.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

etalian posted:

Also committing war crimes and starving people death so multi-national corporations can improve their bottom line.

lol i still can't imagine how she thought that was a valid defense. hmmm this thing people think is super lovely is cool for me to do as well. obama got a lot of poo poo for his stupid speech giving once he was out of office. i love how the rich are just totally braindead.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i still can't imagine how she thought that was a valid defense. hmmm this thing people think is super lovely is cool for me to do as well. obama got a lot of poo poo for his stupid speech giving once he was out of office. i love how the rich are just totally braindead.

Make Haitians starve again is a really inspiring slogan.

60 cents a day sounds too high to me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

etalian posted:

Don't insult men like that. Women leaders are worse.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/01/european-queens-waged-more-wars-than-kings.html

Women in national leadership start more wars.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

etalian posted:

Democrat.jpg

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Democrat.jpg

thats a good picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

what the hell kinda weak weed is that lol