Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

No sorry I don't read any of the missives , I just pop in for the funny pictures , tweets and gifs

This is why I am the worst of the Derek alts. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Another ED cockpit

http://imgur.com/a/8gXEd

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Geesus Chirst.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vaper. Checks out.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Probably the best summation of Vampire I've ever heard. It's kinky because it's "dark and mysterious" and apparently it gets big girls hot?

Further more..

The Titanic posted:

The otter guys and I sat outside looking and feeling a bit awkward

Was that one of the guys trying to touch your no-no spots? He looks like he'd be into the kinky poo poo.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

people bring up the escapist letter because not only was it apparently slowly smashed out by a guy who has to look at his keyboard before he types, it's funny as gently caress that the CEO of a multi-million dollar company would write something as insane as that

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
why do people think CEOs of multimillion dollar companies are any different to the rest of us? One of the big lies of capitalism?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Chev posted:

You know what decals are? Like sprays in FPS games. They were first created to be used for sprays, bloodstains or bullet holes but they're more generally handy because they basically allow you to slap a texture on a mesh without needing texture coordinates or specific geometry for it. The so-called "3d decals" are just taking that idea and extending it not just to color, but normal map and material properties. This helps with representing small scale details like rivets without wasting polygons.

Take this computer from Alien Isolation:

The screws all over it are such decals. You can see in the wireframe they're just flat polygons laid over the computer mesh without being connected to it, each rotated a bit differently to make them look less uniform. Same for several other indentations. Yet in-game they'll be correcty lit and look as if they were part of the computer.

That is really loving neat. Always fascinating to learn the new poo poo they come up with to bring out detail without just throwing more polys at it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I love the evolution of "the guy harassing me online can be seen in this photo (that's him in the wheelchair)" to "targeting disabled people"

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

people bring up the escapist letter because not only was it apparently slowly smashed out by a guy who has to look at his keyboard before he types, it's funny as gently caress that the CEO of a multi-million dollar company would write something as insane as that

Of course that was before Donald Trump ran for and became president... Now having someone powerful in a respected position make silly rants online is passe.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

starkebn posted:

why do people think CEOs of multimillion dollar companies are any different to the rest of us? One of the big lies of capitalism?

I'm sure Roberts puts on his pants one leg at time as the rest of us. Mocapped, clipped through, etc.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

starkebn posted:

my expectation is by that point, there's enough layers of other people to get between the rich guy and the audience and say "hey maybe doing all that cocaine and writing this letter was a bad idea"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DarkRefreshment posted:

Probably the best summation of Vampire I've ever heard. It's kinky because it's "dark and mysterious" and apparently it gets big girls hot?

Further more..

Was that one of the guys trying to touch your no-no spots? He looks like he'd be into the kinky poo poo.

Hehe.

I'd have traded that otter for them. They were sort of emo and lost but awkward kinds. Too weird for the emo life with their style, too normal to be fully vested. I think they just all wanted to be lorded over by the pasty dude.

The rest of the events are probably not for the Star Citizen thread!

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Hey guys I just want to say: rebel Galaxy might be my favorite space game ever. It completely changed my taste in music, I listen to blue saraceno, nick nolan, and Henry's funeral shoe now. Amazingly fun game when you're drinking and want to chill out!

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

celewign posted:

Hey guys I just want to say: rebel Galaxy might be my favorite space game ever. It completely changed my taste in music, I listen to blue saraceno, nick nolan, and Henry's funeral shoe now. Amazingly fun game when you're drinking and want to chill out!

RG is really good and amazing music. Just sadly really short. Still worth it though.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm sure Roberts puts on his pants one leg at time as the rest of us. Mocapped, clipped through, etc.

"I've got a fever and the only prescription... is more pledging!
Ben, before we're done here... you'll be wearing gold plated diapers.
Never question Chris Roberts! Roll it!"

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 1, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Farking morons.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=5567184&viewfull=1#post5567184

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Funny how even actual backers don't know that the number is bullshit.

What makes you think they don't know? :grin:

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

Further more..

The otters were my favorites. They had tattoos, they ate spicy food, they fished, and they beat up bad guys. The toads that lived on beaches and used poison were the worst.

I love otters. The retard moles were pretty good guys too.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Meanwhile, over there...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

I love the evolution of "the guy harassing me online can be seen in this photo (that's him in the wheelchair)" to "targeting disabled people"

And ever since his ban on reddit, they've been targeting a disabled person too! Disabled his posting, that is!

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
When it comes to release dates more than a year out I tend to try to quell my enthusiasm as much as I can, and just try to remember to check up on it every once in a while. This was my disposition when it came to Star Citizen. After reading the OP, I'm pretty drat glad I never drank the koolaid. Still, it's a drat shame, but I guess some people just don't realize that not all great ideas are meant to work, and a truly great leader is one who can compromise between reason and ambition.

The public elects a visionary to fight in an arena of bureaucrats because knowing what bureaucrats do is a bureaucrat's job, and regular occupied members of society don't have time to understand the dynamics of why this vision hasn't been acted on before. An idea is not what puts dinner on the table, a plan alone won't boil your potatoes.

But enough of that. It's making me really start to appreciate the Infinity project and all of its history until this point. There was a lot of hype garnered for it back in 2007-8 when the first demos were released, but the engine's massive code base remained largely owned by the one mastermind, and as a result the project still chugs along today with an actual prospect of getting released this decade, with a framework built for potential. When it releases, it releases... But at least I'm confident it will.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Best thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6egpmk/pets/

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
What ever happened to procedural birds?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Tonigh, on "I dream of SC"... Hacking the planet!
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6efjha/hacking_in_this_game_must_be_deeper_than_a/

Those are the most upvoted replies, btw.

bonus:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 1, 2017

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

no_recall posted:

What ever happened to procedural birds?

For months after the game releases something that's called beta (or ideally the SQ42 prelude that they can't sell as pre-alpha) Citizens will be starting sentences with "whatever happened to... " puzzled about the piece of melted garbage that they will receive.

It's going to be depressing, but I'm sort of looking forward to it.

Fear not Citizens! CIG's pre-alpha looks better than all of AAA games, so your money is well placed.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They are really doubling down on dreams lately, citizens don't even wait for CR to come and dream up something for them. Sure I gave this old hack 15000$ but the game I imagined and played for 1000 hours in my head was totally worth it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Has anything happened this year? Is it out? Is PC gaming saved?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

trucutru posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6efjha/hacking_in_this_game_must_be_deeper_than_a/

bonus:

10 PRINT"CHRIS ROBERTS PRESENTS CHRIS ROBERTS'S STAR CITIZEN, A CHRIS ROBERTS GAME"
20 INPUT"DO YOU WANT TO OPEN THE DOOR (Y/N)?";A$
30 IF A$="Y" THEN B=1
40 IF B=1 THEN PRINT"DOOR OPEN COMMANDO": GOTO60
50 PRINT"ACCESS DENIED":GOTO10
60 PRINT"YOU JUST CLIPPED THROUGH THE DOOR FRAME AND DIED.":END

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
When will we be able to watch CIG fake .avi vids and "ingame footage" presentations? Can't wait for new desasters, fuckups and lies, sorry, I meant postponed schedules and dream features.
Is there a fair/convention/event/convention before Gamescom in August?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

10 PRINT"CHRIS ROBERTS PRESENTS CHRIS ROBERTS'S STAR CITIZEN, A CHRIS ROBERTS GAME"
20 INPUT"DO YOU WANT TO OPEN THE DOOR (Y/N)?";A$
30 IF A$="Y" THEN B=1
40 IF B=1 THEN PRINT"DOOR OPEN COMMANDO": GOTO60
50 PRINT"ACCESS DENIED":GOTO10
60 PRINT"YOU JUST CLIPPED THROUGH THE DOOR FRAME AND DIED.":END

Just when you think these nutsacks can't get any more loving detached from reality. They never cease to deliver

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
This pays for 10 cat taxes:

The cat's name is actually "kitty", so it's Kitty the cat with a kit kat inside a CAT scanner.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

Chev posted:

You know what decals are? Like sprays in FPS games. They were first created to be used for sprays, bloodstains or bullet holes but they're more generally handy because they basically allow you to slap a texture on a mesh without needing texture coordinates or specific geometry for it. The so-called "3d decals" are just taking that idea and extending it not just to color, but normal map and material properties. This helps with representing small scale details like rivets without wasting polygons.

The screws all over it are such decals. You can see in the wireframe they're just flat polygons laid over the computer mesh without being connected to it, each rotated a bit differently to make them look less uniform. Same for several other indentations. Yet in-game they'll be correcty lit and look as if they were part of the computer.

So, it's just an advanced form of bumpmapping?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

trucutru posted:

bonus:

1. Buy hacking tool "UniHack v1.32433" for US$19.99
2. Equip hacking tool in-game.
3. <USE> *

* Star Citizen is never coming out.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's not unreasonable to assume that Star Citizen will contain hacks given that it's developed by them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Chev posted:

God I love how much the Alien Isolation guys went all in on the 70s/80s future aesthetic. That is a sweet looking NotCommodore NotPET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Oh boy, dreams development time: the "hacking" compiler should throw inane error messages if you forget to put the correct syntax in the right place. Just like my old C compilers from my college days.