Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

hotsauce posted:

This place will never allow it to be good, just you wait.

It committed the heinous crime of not being a Pixel and must be cast into a volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The durable body part seems really interesting.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

Wireless headphones are nice, but I haven't seen a pair of Bluetooth headphones that can last 10 hours without charging (2 30 minute commutes, 8 hour day, 1 hour lunch).

I have these:

Anker SoundBuds In-Ear Sport Earbuds, Magnetic Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with 8-Hour Playtime and CVC 6.0 Noise Cancellation, IPX4 Sweatproof for Running, Workout, Gym - Sports Earphones with Mic
by Anker

Link: http://a.co/bBKNS7B

You can find them for around 10-$20 if you look around. At that price, I have two pairs incase one dies. If you are commuting, that means you have a bag or something. I just keep a usb battery and I can charge them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Re: Essential phone:

That camera in the notification area is really :psyduck: a lot of apps full screen and use that screen space.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I imagine that they'll modify things so that Immersive Mode (fullscreen apps) don't use the top few mm of screen.

Have they said the actual resolution? If I were designing it with that cutout, I'd have a 17:9 ratio or something close so that Immersive/Fullscreen apps can have a 16:9 space to display on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Re: Essential phone:

That camera in the notification area is really :psyduck: a lot of apps full screen and use that screen space.

It's a 20:9 aspect ratio screen. So, not using the area where the FFC is intruding would result in a more typical aspect ratio when doing full screen video or immersive mode.

It's an odd decision, but not fatal.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Andy Rubin:"Can you rebrand you Mix phone with a hole in the middle of the screen?"

Xiaomi: "Say no more."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

whatever7 posted:

Andy Rubin:"Can you rebrand you Mix phone with a hole in the middle of the screen?"

Xiaomi: "Say no more."

I mean, they both have a ceramic back, but literally no other specs or design is the same. Different size and aspect screen, different cameras, different SoC, different size battery, 6gbps short range wireless.

Not denying that Xiaomi may be the ODM, but it's clearly not a rebrand if anything existing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I put in a "reservation" for whatever that's worth after noticing the size. Slightly smaller than a non-XL pixel with top tier internals. The 360º camera is actually something I'd use hiking, etc., and the whole package with the add on camera is the same as a 128GB pixel anyway. I guess we'll see how well they make use of those ~*SpEcS*~.

I'll most likely reevaluate and make the final call when it becomes available, but I think this will be a nice upgrade from my 6P. It would probably be the first phone since my Moto v710 that I don't put even a thin a case on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, that's why I put in the reservation, it was no commitment. I'll make the call when they actually say I can buy one. We'll see how things develop.

I'm actually eyeing up the greenish one right now since the coloring is so unique. But you can only reserve black or white right now. So, there most likely situation is I hold back until the other color is available which should give time for reviews to come in and have more leaks develop for Pixel 2.

At any rate, I like it because it's another clean Android option out there that's cross carrier compatible and it's made by someone that should know what they are doing from a software perspective. It still may be a train wreck, but it should be an interesting one.

My biggest gripe with the Pixel right now is physical design. I want something more durable that I don't have to hide with a case. I miss my MXP in that regard. The phone was a tank.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I realize it's been brought up before but holy poo poo the battery life on the G5+ is unreal. Especially coming from a Nexus 6 with a worn the gently caress out battery.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

The 360º camera is actually something I'd use hiking, etc.

I'm not holding out much hope for decent looking images from a tiny fisheye with a 180 degree FOV but it would be nice to have on hikes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The evolution of the modular stuff is kinda interesting​by itself.

LG was purely internal which really put a damper on hot swapping since there was no internal battery.

Moto stuff is hot swappable and versatile, but constrains the device in shape and dimensions to maintain compatibility.

This only needs to line up with the power pins/magnets. I'm not sure what the range of the 6gbps wireless is (might be mm range so not a ton of leeway in positioning.) But the attachments in general might accommodate a greater variance in device form factors down the line and still maintain compatibility. (Or, possibility an adapter for proper positioning across device form factors.)

It's honestly not a huge draw for me, but I don't see a ton of downsides with the inclusion.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does it actually charge on the work charger? Perhaps the voltage isn't high enough and it's flipping between charging/not charging constantly and that's stopping it from coming up.

It's charging. I can't tell if it's slower than the charger at home. I changed the cable on the work charger and I'm seeing the same thing, so I'm thinking it's the power strip.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Modular phone poo poo never appealed to me. I'd much rather just have a nice phone that doesn't need add-ons. Plus I just figure it's always going to end up obsolete in short order as phones improve.

Look at the Moto Mods; they have a battery which gives your phone amazing run times, but there are already phones with awesome battery life that don't need a bulky add-on. There's the camera mod, which doesn't take particularly good photos and other phones are already including a second zoom camera and are continually getting better image sensors. The JBL speaker mod? Boomsound and other phones with stereo speakers sound fine, and it can't compete with dedicated Bluetooth speakers. The projector? How many times have you wanted a lovely dim projector attached to your phone that lasts an hour?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

The JBL speaker mod? Boomsound and other phones with stereo speakers sound fine, and it can't compete with dedicated Bluetooth speakers.

Actually, have you heard it? It's actually pretty decent and blows away any internal speakers.

I love using it with the phone around the house because I have a nice little self-contained TV.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Except the Moto phone probably has the best battery life sans the Moto mod add on than any other Android phone

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

Actually, have you heard it? It's actually pretty decent and blows away any internal speakers.

I love using it with the phone around the house because I have a nice little self-contained TV.

Why wouldn't you want to chromecast the music on a TV or sound system?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Chromecast is kinda bad though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

whatever7 posted:

No music, watching stuff. If I'm going laundry or cooking or something, just easier to grab it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

grimcreaper posted:

Chromecast is kinda bad though.

Good. You mean good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't engage.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

No music, watching stuff. If I'm going laundry or cooking or something, just easier to grab it.

If I cook or go to laundry I wear bluetooth earphones.

Anyway for the 5 people out there that believe in the modular stuff they now can pick up G5 modules for pennies. It's like buy Samsung NX lens after they discontinue the system. And HP TouchPad.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 1, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Instead of Modular Phone poo poo, let's just have a convention where there are solid mount holes a precise distance above and below a usb-c port for a phone 'extension' to click into.

That wouldn't let them lock you into proprietary 'modules', though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wouldn't call the Moto stuff failed yet. 2nd generation of phones is coming out soon that's compatible with the mods and there are still a lot in active development.

Still waiting for that teased Tango more though.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Good. You mean good.

I have a chromecast and it sucks. Probably user error. Drains my phones battery pretty quick.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
So, did anyone buy a Keyone?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

grimcreaper posted:

I have a chromecast and it sucks. Probably user error. Drains my phones battery pretty quick.

What? It's connected to your WiFi and your phone only sends it commands, through the wifi. What? ??

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah mine too it's because it's using all the phone's hardware itself to power the chromecast with its wifi and 4K is a lot of wifi. You guys who like it must just have good wifi so it doesn't drain as much battery from your phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nerdrum posted:

So, did anyone buy a Keyone?

It's hosed and an ultra niche product and as such is doomed to fail

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The drat tv been draining my drat toaster power. It's loving up my drat toast. gently caress!!!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

What? It's connected to your WiFi and your phone only sends it commands, through the wifi. What? ??

I have the limited edition Battery Cast. It was the potato prototype from google. It was co developed with key members of FYAD.

But yeah i dont ubderatand it either in all seriousness. Does it with 2 different phones. Just absolutely eats the battery

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I bought a Chromecast when it first came out and the quality was poo poo and there was noticeable lag. I got a fire stick later which was good and allowed casting and now just have a random chinabox connected to my tv. I've failed at life in innumerable ways

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

It's hosed and an ultra niche product and as such is doomed to fail

But enough about OnePlus

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I have, and compared to my Flip 3, which I consider the largest portable speaker I would buy (fits in my jacket pocket), it doesn't compare.

Hey, if it works for you and you consider it worthwhile investment, who am I to really say? JBL has always done good things when it comes to audio in my opinion (I spent a grand or two outfitting a car with JBL amps and speakers back in the day). I'm more concerned about how useful that mod will be in a year or two when Lenovo decides to go in a whole 'nother modless direction.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Except the Moto phone probably has the best battery life sans the Moto mod add on than any other Android phone

Yeah, my big phone Mate 9 routinely gets 8+ hours of SOT and will last 2 days without a problem. No mods required and it has high end chipset that outperforms current Snapdragon 6xx jobs. It is a large phone with a big battery though. Really, I don't mean to knock Motorola phones, I loved my '14 X, Nexus 6, XPE, and G4+, but the mods do nothing to make a great phone imo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The spacing of those buttons in relation to the width of the screen is infuriating

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blue Train posted:

The spacing of those buttons in relation to the width of the screen is infuriating

It's a big phone, they're quite acceptable in every day use.

E: Also, the less than great touchscreen​ responsiveness I complained about with the Mate 9 in the past seems to have been fixed with recent software updates. I can honestly say if you're looking for a large phone (bigger than a pixel XL), it's a solid buy.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 1, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I bought a Chromecast when it first came out and the quality was poo poo and there was noticeable lag. I got a fire stick later which was good and allowed casting and now just have a random chinabox connected to my tv. I've failed at life in innumerable ways

My chromecasts all work flawlessly and never lag. I also use 3 of them at work as digital signage and they own there, too. Chromecast problems are the fault of the router, my friend.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Smythe posted:

My chromecasts all work flawlessly and never lag. I also use 3 of them at work as digital signage and they own there, too. Chromecast problems are the fault of the router, my friend.

Yeah, I still use my 1st Gen Chromecast that I bought when they first went on sale and it works fine.

The only thing that screws up my home network these days is my God drat Panasonic inverter microwave that kills all 2.4GHz wifi connections. gently caress that thing. Doesn't heat food worth poo poo either.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The biggest problem with Chromecasts is that Gen1 only had 2.4GHz.