Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spaced God posted:

lmbo if you think they're gonna can Sessions and his replacement won't be insane.
I for one welcome either 4 years of Sessions, or our new AG Joe Arpaio

Oh hey, look, someone who doesn't realize that cabinet members need to be confirmed by the Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jaxyon posted:

like "she literally praised reagan for his work on AIDS"

Someone wasn't around when this happened

it wasn't considered valid then

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MustelaFuro posted:

In what page of this thread are the practical repercussions of Trump leaving the Paris Agreement discussed? I'd like to learn more about that.

Tldr version: what goods a treaty if the second highest carbon emitting country gives zero fucks? Other nations gonna say gently caress it too.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

This is a bad argument. Rex Tilerson is a secretary of state and he's not qualified for anything. Paul Ryan is a senator and he's not qualified. Same for Sessions, or Rumsfeld, and plenty of others. There are a lot of people who are senators or who have served in high government posts who are absolute evil idiots. I make no judgement of Hillary in this post, but serving as a senator or a Secretary does not in itself imply a person is competent. You have Tim Walberg as an example just a few posts up.

Paul Ryan is not a senator, the path of Hillary's career leading into Secretary of State does not mimic Tillerson (incredibly anomalous version) in any way, nor did her tenure there raise red flags in the way that his has thus far.

It's not entirely clear what makes for a qualified presidential candidate-what is clear is that by any objective reasonable* metric, Hillary was one.

*"When you voted for the war in Iraq, the most disastrous foreign policy blunder in the history of America, you might want to question your qualifications. When you voted for trade agreements that cost millions of Americans decent paying jobs, and the American people might want to wonder about your qualifications. When you're spending an enormous amount of time raising money for your super PAC from some of the wealthiest people in this country, and from some of the most outrageous special interests ... Are you qualified to be president of the United States when you're raising millions of dollars from Wall Street whose greed and recklessness helped destroy our economy?"

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 1, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Game over man

https://twitter.com/ScottPresler/status/869708638251864065

quote:

Organizers of an anti-Muslim demonstration planned for June 10 announced Wednesday that they’ve canceled the event. Organizer Scott Presler [photo] cited Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler’s “inflammatory” requests to cancel other protests, which he said endangered people who might attend them.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/feds_to_revoke_permit_for_pro-.html

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

gently caress, they're getting better at framing him in a way that doesn't make him look incompetent.

I know nothing he said was loving true, but the people this is targets don't loving know that or care...

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
I'm beginning to get legit worried that Rachel Maddow has been poisoned by the Russians.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

lol the bitch broke his Starbucks boycott I guess.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

weekly font posted:

lol the bitch broke his Starbucks boycott I guess.

Does anyone else think he looks a little bit like a young long haired Paul Ryan?

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug
Who the gently caress is that and why should I care?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Never heard of him, but he looks like a twerpy douche.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

It's becoming unlikely that he forgot ALL of these loving meetings with Russians. He definitely perjured himself in his confirmation hearings.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

What ever happened to the Nazis who actually look like they're ready to start RaHoWa any day now? Like giant, skin-headed Aryan types who spend all day working out and hating Jews.

These modern Nazi types look like little nerds who couldn't even curl an ez curl bar.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Coca Koala posted:

This is incredible, do you have the full citation or the article it's from? I googled Mettler 2010 and didn't get anything meaningful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/opinion/our-hidden-government-benefits.html

https://journalistsresource.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/PerceptionGovt-KochMettler-022812.pdf

44% of Social Security Recipients "have never used a government program."

lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 1, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Skex posted:

I'm beginning to get legit worried that Rachel Maddow has been poisoned by the Russians.

either history is going to redeem the poo poo out of her or we are all going to forget what journalism is as we adapt to speaking russian

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Zil posted:

Does anyone else think he looks a little bit like a young long haired Paul Ryan?

kinda got scott stapp

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Skex posted:

She hasn't tweeted in a week :ohdear:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Mustached Demon posted:

What ever happened to the Nazis who actually look like they're ready to start RaHoWa any day now? Like giant, skin-headed Aryan types who spend all day working out and hating Jews.

These modern Nazi types look like little nerds who couldn't even curl an ez curl bar.

He said, when 5 men have been murdered by Nazis in the last 10 days.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I don't know who Jeff Lord is (beyond a Trump sycophant), but he's a moron. He was on Anderson Cooper a few minutes ago, trying to argue with a straight face that Kushner is "just like Robert F. Kennedy" because presidents usually use family members to establish other diplomatic channels. He also essentially argued "B-b-but Obama used a senate aid in his administration!".

David Priess was Anderson's other guest, and he shut that down pretty quickly.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mustached Demon posted:

They're still lifting in practice for RaHoWa, the twerps are the media guys

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Paracaidas posted:

Paul Ryan is not a senator, the path of Hillary's career leading into Secretary of State does not mimic Tillerson (incredibly anomalous version) in any way, nor did her tenure there raise red flags in the way that his has thus far.

It's not entirely clear what makes for a qualified presidential candidate-what is clear is that by any objective reasonable* metric, Hillary was one.

*"When you voted for the war in Iraq, the most disastrous foreign policy blunder in the history of America, you might want to question your qualifications. When you voted for trade agreements that cost millions of Americans decent paying jobs, and the American people might want to wonder about your qualifications. When you're spending an enormous amount of time raising money for your super PAC from some of the wealthiest people in this country, and from some of the most outrageous special interests ... Are you qualified to be president of the United States when you're raising millions of dollars from Wall Street whose greed and recklessness helped destroy our economy?"

This post brought to you by the GOP, manufacturers of low-content talking points since 1981.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

skylined! posted:

either history is going to redeem the poo poo out of her or we are all going to forget what journalism is as we adapt to speaking russian

I think Skex was referring to her missing her show again. I haven't watched this week but I just turned it on and saw she's not there. She apparently hurt her back bad last week.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know who Jeff Lord is (beyond a Trump sycophant), but he's a moron. He was on Anderson Cooper a few minutes ago, trying to argue with a straight face that Kushner is "just like Robert F. Kennedy" because presidents usually use family members to establish other diplomatic channels. He also essentially argued "B-b-but Obama used a senate aid in his administration!".

He's a man paid by CNN to defend Donald Trump. You should probably stop watching cable news.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

you were watching professional wrestling and jeffery lord is paid to be the heel

Taerkar posted:

This post brought to you by the GOP, manufacturers of low-content talking points since 1981.

i...didn't know bernie got the GOP talking points

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jeffrey Lord was in the Reagan Administration or something but over the last 18 months he's shown a complete and total willingness to defend ANYTHING Trump says or does but almost never with a straight face.

I was going to reference the time he enraged Van Jones by saying the Democratic Party was the party of the KKK in response to the David Duke stuff but I now realize how mundane that seems in retrospect.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Majorian posted:

Oh hey, look, someone who doesn't realize that cabinet members need to be confirmed by the Senate.

Oh hey, look, someone who doesn't recognize yet that the Dems won't have the backbone to A) hold up any appointments and B) take back the senate in 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Ask him his stance on Jesus' time in the wilderness and the conversation he had with Satan while there. Something about not testing God or something like that. Plus the many mentions of humans being shepherds of the earth spread through the bible.

You can't reason someone out of a position that they didn't reason themselves into.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

skylined! posted:

kinda got scott stapp

Speaking of him

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

STAC Goat posted:

I think Skex was referring to her missing her show again. I haven't watched this week but I just turned it on and saw she's not there. She apparently hurt her back bad last week.

Yeah, couldn't find any news regarding why she was out and when they said that she was out again it occurred to me that it's not exactly unprecedented for Putin to take more direct action to silence troublesome critics.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

pumpinglemma posted:

You say this like it's unjustifiable. Any remotely qualified candidate would have beaten Trump in a landslide. She failed to beat him at all, and now the entire world gets to pay the price. Meanwhile, she refuses to admit any blame and is currently trying to use #TheResistance to resurrect her political career. Obviously she's not as bad as the actual Republicans, but every single person who could have stopped this plane crash and didn't deserves our utter contempt.

She's more than competent. She's talented. So was Bill.

If you think she's bad at this and that's why she lost you're exactly what I"m talking about.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

I seriously want to know how any of these individuals could believe they never used a govt. social program. What do Republicans consider to be a social program? Is it just anything those 'losers' other than them use?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Oh hey, look, someone who doesn't recognize yet that the Dems won't have the backbone to A) hold up any appointments and B) take back the senate in 2018

Doesn't matter. Someone like Arpaio would never get through. Realistically, if Sessions were to step down, Senate Republicans would be so spooked that Trump would need to nominate a moderate to get him or her through.
But hey, keep up the :smug: bro.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hastings posted:

I seriously want to know how any of these individuals could believe they never used a govt. social program. What do Republicans consider to be a social program? Is it just anything those 'losers' other than them use?

Your first mistake is trying to understand the dogma as if it were developed by rational actors.

Well, actually your first mistake is thinking that anything matters.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hastings posted:

28% of people who are literally getting a check from the government (and not on social security or disability) don't think they have ever used a government program.

I don't even know where to begin trying to correct that.

It's not even just republicans. It's Americans.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

awesmoe posted:

i...didn't know bernie got the GOP talking points

Most of those things are populist in nature and the GOP has been running on a pseudo-populism plank for quite a while. It's why Reagan is still so beloved by them and why they've thrown themselves into Trump.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hastings posted:

They believe those programs are only for people of color and desperately poor people, not upstanding moral whites like them. They believe this because they're told it constantly and because self-worth is mixed up with social class to an insane degree. Hence how you get the assholes saying stuff like 'I was on food stamps, no-one ever helped me!' because anything they have is proper assistance for good upstanding citizens, not *welfare* for parasites.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hastings posted:

A program literally called "Welfare" where the gubbmint pays all expenses. The programs they use are meant for hardworking real Americans and simply help out :downs:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hastings posted:

that little citation at the bottom about the submerged state - that's what one professor calls the package of government subsidies that aren't visible to people or easily rationalized. like if you get food stamps, it's hard to say that isn't a government program. but the government permitting you to write off your mortgage interest payments as a deduction on your taxes, is that a government subsidy? (it totally is, but when people - especially wealthier people - say well that's a tax cut, not a subsidy like food stamps, then they're all i earned this the only moral welfare is my welfare etc.)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paracaidas posted:

He said, when 5 men have been murdered by Nazis in the last 10 days.

The Portland guy also looked like a dweeb.

Edit: there's a good crop of 3%ers here. They're mostly CrossFit nerds who think they're reincarnations of Sparta.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Night10194 posted:

They believe those programs are only for people of color and desperately poor people, not upstanding moral whites like them. They believe this because they're told it constantly and because self-worth is mixed up with social class to an insane degree. Hence how you get the assholes saying stuff like 'I was on food stamps, no-one ever helped me!' because anything they have is proper assistance for good upstanding citizens, not *welfare* for parasites.

If you look at the tabs in the second link, about 40% of the people on food stamps who said they have never been on a government program are non-white.

• Locked thread