Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd think they would at least have to think about it long and hard, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

an adult beverage posted:

Does A&M fire Sumlin this season if it's another 8-5ish year?

A&M AD not so subtly said Sumlin either has a great season or is gone

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Most likely. The AD said that Sumlin knows he has to win more games this season, but he also said that post season evaluation will likely be subjective.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

Been to Snow's, can confirm best brisket status. The chicken is just as good.

I must have gotten it on a bad day... the brisket was good, but not near my favorite.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Spintzel posted:

A&M AD not so subtly said Sumlin either has a great season or is gone

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Time you bust that Nutt

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Things I Hope Oregon Fixes:

The defense.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"Big Ten Baseball" isn't a phrase I have ever heard, ever. Do we even have it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My main hope for MSU this season is that it doesn't have another Baylor situation on its hands. I can barely even think about actual football.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
According to CBS Auburn's AD would like to move to the east. That would cause a few problems with schedules, probably not going to happen but entertaining to consider.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My #1 hope for next season is for Georgia Tech to field a defense that actually puts pressure on the quarterback. Last year we were ranked #114 in the FBS for sacks, the third-worst record among P5 teams. I can't count the number of times in the Paul Johnson era that we've made lovely quarterbacks look like stars (hello Logan Thomas)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okay when are you going to name the lovely qbs op

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Azrial posted:

According to CBS Auburn's AD would like to move to the east. That would cause a few problems with schedules, probably not going to happen but entertaining to consider.

Good news. If Texas and OU move to the SEC, he can.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Good news. If Texas and OU move to the SEC, he can.

Texas doesn't fit in with the SEC, El Penis.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pakled posted:

My #1 hope for next season is for Georgia Tech to field a defense that actually puts pressure on the quarterback. Last year we were ranked #114 in the FBS for sacks, the third-worst record among P5 teams. I can't count the number of times in the Paul Johnson era that we've made lovely quarterbacks look like stars (hello Logan Thomas)

I sat front row at most georgia tech games this year and I was amazed by how small the linebackers were.

Like, smaller than me.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Stuff I hope UGA fixes:

1. An offensive line. Really I don't see how it could be worse, and spring games being spring games, it doesn't seem like our 1st string o-line could keep up with our 1st string defense. We have a super nasty backfield with Chubb, Michel, Holyfiled, Herien, and Swift. If we can't run with the, what the hell man. Also, I think that Eason would be a bit better if he had a few seconds to make a throw instead of being under pressure every single snap.

2. Jim Chaney's play calling. Everyone used to gnash their teeth about Bobo doing something dumb, but when Bobo did dumb stuff, UGA was averaging over 35 points a game. I'm not totally convinced Chaney is going to get us where we need to go in the long run. We don't really have any offensive style or consistency as it stands.

3. General game management. Smart was a first year head coach, so I expected some growing pains, so hopefully he grows into the station and learns more of the game-day stuff.

4. Turf at Neyland Stadium so nobody blows any ligaments

Really defense was ok enough to keep us in every game we wanted to be in last season with the exception of maybe Ole Miss. If we can polish the turd that was the 2016 offense and turn it into something serviceable, we should at least be competitive.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'd take not losing to Tech

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Pakled posted:

One of the few bright spots in those in-between ACCCG appearance years was Logan Thomas steamrolling people every other game. Too bad he had ghosts for an O-line and RB and Scot "A Guy Who Knew Tom Brady" Loeffler as his QB coach and OC.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

:smug:

Things I hope Kentucky fixes this year

- D-Line - It's not necessarily a good thing when your safeties have more tackles than your defensive linemen. New position coach this year, so maybe a fresh take will help. Matt Elam has been the biggest disappointment, maybe because there was so much hype after turning down Alabama to stay in state, but he has shown nothing on the field. Outside linebackers are really good and help with the edge, but if you can't defend up the middle teams will just run all over you. Again.

- Dropped passes - Got better last year under Lamar Thomas but still too many. I mean, if Jeff Badet, as good as he was, catches that ball against Georgia, that was pretty much game over. Bobbling it right into the defender's hands was a huge momentum shift. There are others but that one still stands out to me.

- 31-year losing streak to Florida - I think that number is right; it's too depressing to actually look it up. Last year's debacle aside, they were really close the two previous years and arguably should have won both (especially 3 years ago, the play clock hit loving zero). Maybe last year can be chalked up to coming off that embarrassing meltdown against Southern Miss, or their quarterback getting absolutely destroyed on the very first play. Either way, this team should be miles ahead of where they were last year, and they get the Gators at home. Hell, if the Cubs can win a World Series, then anything's possible... Right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

If he wins 8 in the regular season he stays, barring some kind of spectacular embarrassment along the way. 7-5 and he's probably gone.

Probably worth watching what SMU does under Chad Morris this season, if they make the leap and win 10 games there will be a lot of support for bringing him in (he's an A&M alumn). With the Texas high school resume + OC experience + stop at a G5 Texas school there will be a lot of Art Briles comparisons (in a good way).

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 1, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Azrial posted:

It's never been a secret that they want to, there's just no good way to manage it without some corresponding changes. Either you go to nine conference games (great) but have to designate two permanent opponents to preserve the Iron Bowl and 3SIO (which means you're throwing away the benefit of more frequent cross-division rotation you'd otherwise get out of a ninth game); or Bama comes to the East as well and whatever argument you want to make about their long-term prospects post-Saban, it sure looks like you've hosed up the competitive balance (and nobody in the East would consent to that). It's an interesting offseason story that our AD is saying it out loud for once but any solution still seems years away.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sash! posted:

"Big Ten Baseball" isn't a phrase I have ever heard, ever. Do we even have it?

We do, except for Wisconsin oddly.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It's never been a secret that they want to, there's just no good way to manage it without some corresponding changes. Either you go to nine conference games (great) but have to designate two permanent opponents to preserve the Iron Bowl and 3SIO (which means you're throwing away the benefit of more frequent cross-division rotation you'd otherwise get out of a ninth game); or Bama comes to the East as well and whatever argument you want to make about their long-term prospects post-Saban, it sure looks like you've hosed up the competitive balance (and nobody in the East would consent to that). It's an interesting offseason story that our AD is saying it out loud for once but any solution still seems years away.

Trade Mizzou to the ACC for FSU. Auburn in the east, put FSU in the west.

Although to keep the iron bowl that would mean Tennessee loses the Bama game. Which I wouldn't like even though we get pummeled every year

e: could have Florida play FSU and have UT's west game be LSU.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 1, 2017

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Jordanis posted:

The defense.

Preach.

Also,
-Offense could be more explosive

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Things for Bama to fix:

1. Run

2. The

3. drat

4. Ball

(Optional) 5. PAWL

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
What Virginia Tech needs to fix:

1. OL: Holy poo poo our OL sucks. Our LT and LG are both pretty good, should be NFL players. The rest of our line is just awful. I highly doubt this improves due to only recruiting barely recruited OL.
2. RB: Probably more to do with the previous issue, but we've also had our depth just destroyed by injuries the last few years. Would be nice to have a top 1-2 to feel good about this year.
3. QB: Our QB last year was serviceable and on occasion very good. He could not make a read to save his life, and his deep ball was atrocious. He left a year early to go to the NFL, and was not drafted. Hoping to see Tr-FR Hendon Hooker take the starting nod over R-FR Josh Jackson, simply due to being a hyper athletic 6'6" DT QB who can sling it vs a smart coach's son with limited athleticism.
4. DE Depth: We have two very good starting DEs. I hope by fall we have two capable backups ready to go.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Things Arizona Needs to Fix

1. The defense
2. The offense
3. The special teams

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Things Texas Tech needs to Fix:

Run Defense
Pass Defense
Option Defense
Turnover Defense
2 Minute Defense
15 Minute Defense
Scoring Defense
Total Defense

In other words, Tech's defense sucks.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Jordanis posted:

The defense.

Well, it couldn't get much worse!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

I know we've talked about this before but remind me how hot Kingsbury's seat is?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
wrong thread

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

kayakyakr posted:

Things Texas Tech needs to Fix:

Run Defense
Pass Defense
Option Defense
Turnover Defense
2 Minute Defense
15 Minute Defense
Scoring Defense
Total Defense

This has been pretty much the story since Spike, though, iirc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

literally the only B1G game that will matter at all next year won't get primetime because Fox wanted the game but also has Game 4 of the World Series that night.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DJExile posted:

literally the only B1G game that will matter at all next year won't get primetime because Fox wanted the game but also has Game 4 of the World Series that night.

this isn't Ohio state v Iowa!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

Big Ten football shouldn't be played at night anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Big Ten football shouldn't be played

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJ, don't make me post the gif again.

You know which one I'm talking about.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MY POINT REMAINS :colbert:

Randaconda