Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Whoa, I have just discovered audiobooks, and they are awesome. :2bong:

I'm thinking of getting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Name of the Rose in the current Audible sale. Good choice, or should I consider something else?

What about Kazuo Ishiguro's books? Worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Aardark posted:

I'm thinking of getting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Name of the Rose in the current Audible sale. Good choice, or should I consider something else?
While the half-off sale has been pretty great for some books, if you're looking at two and they run more than $12 each even after the sale discount it's cheaper to just get a Platinum membership. Then you can hang onto it for a while to get membership deals and either cancel before renewal or just stay subscribed.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I signed up for Audible a few months ago and apparently forgot about it until now, so I already have a few credits in my account. I'm definitely staying subscribed, since right now I have a job where I can wear headphones all day. I used to just listen to bullshit podcasts, but audiobooks are way more fulfilling.

Also, I tried out their returns process, and it blew my mind a bit. You can just return any book within a year of purchase for any reason (including "didn't like it") with two clicks. Pretty awesome.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bought another "meta" fiction book, "Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1".

It's kind of similar to the podcast series "How To Succeed in Evil", in that it centers around the activities of a consultant for villains of "the fantasy realms".

I have quite a few books narrated by Jeffrey Kafer now; he's absolutely solid.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Aardark posted:

Whoa, I have just discovered audiobooks, and they are awesome. :2bong:

What about Kazuo Ishiguro's books? Worth getting?

Get remains of the day read by Dominic West, this is something that should be mandatory for everyone imo. It's read beautifully and will rip your heart right out of your chest. I went in blind and ended up sobbing uncontrollably on a train.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone have favorites in the Kindle Unlimited selection? They have a shitload of audiobooks for the cost but it seems like a good number of them are self-published crap or YA dystopian sparkle vampire book series

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Syrinxx posted:

Anyone have favorites in the Kindle Unlimited selection? They have a shitload of audiobooks for the cost but it seems like a good number of them are self-published crap or YA dystopian sparkle vampire book series
Oh man, self-published audiobooks? Is that better or worse than GraphicAudio's full cast production with background music and sound and musical cues straight from a 90s RPG game

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I have 4 (soon to be 5) credits...and I'm at a loss on what to get.

What are some good space operas?

Are the Dresden Files worth getting if I've already read the books?

Horror would also work. Horror seems like it would be hard to get right in an audiobook, but The Bird Box was surprisingly good.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Devorum posted:

Horror would also work. Horror seems like it would be hard to get right in an audiobook, but The Bird Box was surprisingly good.
Allen Steele's Coyote would serve you pretty well. I do not make any profits from sales of the series

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Devorum posted:

John Dies at the End, by David Wong. Hex, by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn. Horns, by Joe Hill. Night Film, by Marisha Pessl.

Mostly horror there, some thriller/mystery.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Devorum posted:

James Marsters does a fantastic job with the Dresden Files, so it depends on whether you like the books enough to want to go through them again. I certainly did.

For space opera, perhaps the Expanse series? I've only read them, so I don't know how good the audiobook version is though. There's an excellent TV adaption that just finished season 2 as well.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Leviathan-Wakes-Audiobook/B00P9XDQFY/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1493213626&sr=1-1

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Devorum posted:

I enjoyed Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Facetious posted:

Bought another "meta" fiction book, "Villains Rule: The Shadow Master, Book 1".

It's kind of similar to the podcast series "How To Succeed in Evil", in that it centers around the activities of a consultant for villains of "the fantasy realms".

I have quite a few books narrated by Jeffrey Kafer now; he's absolutely solid.

Never heard of this before but the sample was good and 2 hours in, it's definitely a strong recommend. Very funny stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Never heard of this before but the sample was good and 2 hours in, it's definitely a strong recommend. Very funny stuff.
The whole genre of supervillains as protagonists and evil consulting, is criminally underused, imho. I'll have to check this one out as well.

The only third example of the genre I can think of is the "Blackjack" series, which is really just about a dude who's a superhero and kills lots of people while he figures it out.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked Forging Hepheastus, about a group of Supervillain recruits.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Syrinxx posted:

Marcus Sakey's 'Brilliance' Series is pretty good, as is the "Wayward Pines" trilogy by Blake Crouch.

"Off To Be The Wizard" and the 'Magic 2.0' series by Scott Meyer.

Also, anything and everything by Octavia Butler, especially the "Xenogenesis" series (sometimes referred to as "Lilith's Brood").

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
So Frank Muller died and didn't finish The Dark Tower. Sad.

learnincurve posted:

Get remains of the day read by Dominic West, this is something that should be mandatory for everyone imo. It's read beautifully and will rip your heart right out of your chest. I went in blind and ended up sobbing uncontrollably on a train.
I enjoyed this book about the sad butler's miserable life. Thank you for the recommendation.

Aardark fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 4, 2017

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Aardark posted:

So Frank Muller died and didn't finish The Dark Tower. Sad.

He died like a decade ago, but I didn't know that until after I finished his Moby Dick reading and was extremely bummed. That guy effortlessly nailed some notoriously difficult prose with style.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

It does suck about Muller, but at least they brought in George Guidall, who is a spectacular reader (though as a big fan of Gravity's Rainbow I'm somewhat biased).

Oh, and Stephen King himself for one book. That's... less spectacular.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone buy and try one of the recent glut of "gamer lit" novels?

i.e., Critical Failures, Scott Meyers' Magic 2.0, LitRPG, etc. Basically anything cribbing Sword Art Online/Tron/Ready Player One/Reamde

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mister Facetious posted:

i.e., Critical Failures, Scott Meyers' Magic 2.0, LitRPG, etc. Basically anything cribbing Sword Art Online/Tron/Ready Player One/Reamde

Magic 2.0 is a fun series, book 3 was really good and I just picked up 4. It sometimes gets a bit too goony for my tastes but it kind of makes sense considering the characters and the author himself mostly seems aware it's goony. The bigger problem for me is that Luke Daniels is the narrator and since I like Space Opera I have probably over 50 audiobooks with him narrating and he can't do many different voices so yeah.

Critical Failures is a series in which every character is an unlikable rear end in a top hat who tries to dick over everyone else. It's enjoyable if you like that kind of thing.

NPCs is really good fun D&D world parody book. It's a lot more light hearted than Critical failures and I think it's a lot better too.

LitRPGs
Awaken Online - Cribs heavily from Accel World for a western Lit-RPG and the author in general seems extremely well read in the genre and can write words well too. It's actually really good.
Phantom Server - A Lit-RPG written by some old Russian dude who probably has never played a video game in his life and wrote this novel on his windows 95 computer and just wrote a science fiction book in the genre based off only reading other things in the genre.
Continue Online - It's about depression and loss and a guy trying to get into this new game as a distraction it's a lot more literary and words than most of the genre. First book has like a total of 1 combat scene ever. It's either a love it or hate it one for the genre.

Those are probably the only LitRPGs worth getting unless you really really really like to hear about STATS AND LEVELS. Way of the Shaman is probably the "best" of the more traditional ones and I would avoid The Gam3 and Sector 8 like the plague as they are really bad.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 10, 2017

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Magic 2.0 is a lot of fun. The narration is good enough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not specifically "gamer lit" but if you want some humorous light fantasy, the first 7 or 8 of Robert Asprin's "Myth Adventures" books are pretty breezy and cool. Can't speak to the quality of the audio versions but the samples I just listened to sound fine.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

why would anyone with a brain want to listen to that crap

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I enjoy meta-humour and irony.

And it can't be worse than anything written by Stackpole Kevin J. Anderson Alan Dean Foster or... ugh, Salvatore. :barf:

Serious answer: None of the authors I like have anything coming out for at least a few months/a year, with the possible exception of Jim Butcher.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 12, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010
REAMDE wasn't terrible to listen to if you keep in mind that it's Stephenson trying to write an airplane bookstore thriller and kind of failing at it. I didn't refund it, so I guess its worth a listen :shrug:

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

I liked Reamde, but the narrator is comically awful at doing accents (especially the Scottish one).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Audible is having another 2 for 1 sale for the next week. I would totally recommend Ghost in the Wires and the Things They Carried.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

XBenedict posted:

Magic 2.0 is a lot of fun. The narration is good enough.

Seconded, Thirded, whatever. The whole Magic 2.0 series is really great.
Kind of a dumb funny adventure you can turn your brain off for.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The first Magic 2.0 book was dorky fun but I thought it kind of drained the concept and couldn't see where the series would go from there and I never bothered with the follow ups.

Are they worth it? Do they go somewhere interesting because "computers are magic" can only carry a series so far.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
The other books are more of the same, nothing really new but enjoyable.

If you liked that you might like "We are legion" by Dennis E Taylor.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

General Emergency posted:

The first Magic 2.0 book was dorky fun but I thought it kind of drained the concept and couldn't see where the series would go from there and I never bothered with the follow ups.

Are they worth it? Do they go somewhere interesting because "computers are magic" can only carry a series so far.

I actually really liked the 3rd book. It involved team good guy getting thrown into a very poorly programmed video game like fantasy world by the villain and are unable to escape unless they beat the game, which is a buggy unfinished mess with a hack plot.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sounds like the eighties movie Dungeonmaster.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I actually really liked the 3rd book. It involved team good guy getting thrown into a very poorly programmed video game like fantasy world by the villain and are unable to escape unless they beat the game, which is a buggy unfinished mess with a hack plot.

Has anyone read the new installment yet?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Any audiobooks y'all would recommend specifically for kids? Taking a long car ride with my 5.5 and almost-4 year old this weekend. Something less advanced than Harry Potter (he can more or less keep up, she can't) but more advanced than...I don't know, the Gruffalo, but particularly with a reading that would hold their attention.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Habibi posted:

Any audiobooks y'all would recommend specifically for kids? Taking a long car ride with my 5.5 and almost-4 year old this weekend. Something less advanced than Harry Potter (he can more or less keep up, she can't) but more advanced than...I don't know, the Gruffalo, but particularly with a reading that would hold their attention.

Roald Dahl, maybe? Patricia C. Wrede's Dealing With Dragons series? James Herriot?

Tanith fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 1, 2017

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl
i liked Stuart Little when I was a kid. It is a good length and sort of meets between picture and chapter book.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Habibi posted:

My brother's two kids are both about 6 months younger, and he just uses a Surface with Disney films wedged in between the front seats. :v:

If you want Stephen Fry, he did a Winnie the Pooh collection:
- https://www.audible.com/pd/Winnie-the-Pooh-Audiobook/B002VA98V4

A. Lee Martinez has some YA fiction that might be a good listen for young children:
- https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Emperor-Mollusk-Versus-the-Sinister-Brain-Audiobook/B0078U4P7O
- https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-F...f_rd_s=center-4

Rudyard Kipling is a personal favourite of mine:
- https://www.audible.com/pd/Kids/The-Complete-Just-So-Stories-Audiobook/B002V0JUY4

And seconding Roald Dahl and the Stuart Little author. Also, Charlotte's Web.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Habibi posted:

League of princes, it's a light-hearted all family comedy that is a parody sequel to a bunch of Disney movies your kids probably already saw. It also has Bronson Pinchot narrating who is AMAZING.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Kids/The-Heros-Guide-to-Saving-Your-Kingdom-Audiobook/B007W4FB5Q?qid=1496323720&sr=1-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Tanith posted:

Patricia C. Wrede's Dealing With Dragons series?

I second this one. They're really fun.