Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

She's more than competent. She's talented. So was Bill.

If you think she's bad at this and that's why she lost you're exactly what I"m talking about.

Her campaign slogan was 'I'm with her'. That is loving malpractice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Taerkar posted:

Most of those things are populist in nature and the GOP has been running on a pseudo-populism plank for quite a while. It's why Reagan is still so beloved by them and why they've thrown themselves into Trump.

This thoroughly flawed definition of populism brought to you by the GOP, halfassedly hiding it since August 3, 1980.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Taerkar posted:

Most of those things are populist in nature and the GOP has been running on a pseudo-populism plank for quite a while. It's why Reagan is still so beloved by them and why they've thrown themselves into Trump.

Fun fact: Obama also ran on a populist platform, and won both times.

Democrats who run on populist platforms tend to win. Those who don't, frequently lose.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

boner confessor posted:

that little citation at the bottom about the submerged state - that's what one professor calls the package of government subsidies that aren't visible to people or easily rationalized. like if you get food stamps, it's hard to say that isn't a government program. but the government permitting you to write off your mortgage interest payments as a deduction on your taxes, is that a government subsidy? (it totally is, but when people - especially wealthier people - say well that's a tax cut, not a subsidy like food stamps, then they're all i earned this the only moral welfare is my welfare etc.)

Social Security 44%

Cash Assistance/TANF/Welfare 28%

These people are literally getting a check from U.S. Treasury.

I can maybe see the SS people being dumb and saying, "But I paid into SS, so it isn't a government program!" But what about the other group?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Office Pig posted:

I lust for Chuck death.

Chuck Asay. Chuck Woolery. Chuck whatever this cuck's name is. Seems like a lotta chucks suck.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Social Security 44%

Cash Assistance/TANF/Welfare 28%

These people are literally getting a check from U.S. Treasury.

I can maybe see the SS people being dumb and saying, "But I paid into SS, so it isn't a government program!" But what about the other group?
Perhaps it is in indictment of surveys as reliable data.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
https://twitter.com/CNN/statuses/870092791325626368

gently caress this planet, I'm done with this shithole

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Caros posted:

Her campaign slogan was 'I'm with her'. That is loving malpractice.

And? Not a lot you can do about sexism other than not be a woman.

She didn't run an incompetent campaign. She got more votes even and survived a strong primary challenge.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Apoplexy posted:

Be sure to keep an eye on the Rose Garden tomorrow, I hear we're making progress on that front.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Refusing to acknowledge you benefit from government social programmes isn't a dumb American thing, it's a dumb human thing. I'm fairly certain if you asked anyone who receives something like a family tax credit whether they believed they were on welfare, a substantial number would say no, regardless of country.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Hastings posted:

I seriously want to know how any of these individuals could believe they never used a govt. social program. What do Republicans consider to be a social program? Is it just anything those 'losers' other than them use?

Easy. "government social program" is free money for lazy poors who don't pay any taxes. Things like social security and the mortgage interest deduction don't count because I pay my taxes, and I'm just getting back what I paid in.

It's flawed, but there's a logic to it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

She didn't run an incompetent campaign. She got more votes even and survived a strong primary challenge.

I have a higher opinion of hilary clinton as a person and a public servant than most people on this forum do but she ran a loving awful campaign and its okay to accept that

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jaxyon posted:

President Donald John Trump

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Jaxyon posted:

A competent campaign would not have made the easily avoidable blunders that hers did in "Blue Wall" states.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would like to point out that once again on a slow news day without a fresh Trump Scandal this thread went from running a meme into the ground to arguing over the Democratic Primary.

Its really pretty remarkable once you start watching for it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

awesmoe posted:

I have a higher opinion of hilary clinton as a person and a public servant than most people on this forum do but she ran a loving awful campaign and its okay to accept that

Nah she ran an OK campaign and I hate her.

Like I said a lot of hillary hate is based on a ton of poo poo is not really rational. She could have done better but the hatred of her has very little to do with that.

This is in response to the guy asking why people hate on her so hard and the answer is realistically that it's a break from hating on Trump.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

A competent campaign would not have made the easily avoidable blunders that hers did in "Blue Wall" states.

Nor would it have deliberately ignored advice from two people who won the presidency twice because of a belief that their strategy is inferior to yours.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I would like to point out that once again on a slow news day without a fresh Trump Scandal this thread went from running a meme into the ground to arguing over the Democratic Primary.

Its the palette cleanser needed before the next Trump turd drops.

Going Full Trump 24/7 would drive even the most hardened and optimistic person off the edge.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

It's the #1 derail

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
if she had a dick and ran the exact same campaign she almost certainly would have won

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

*right hand begins moving to the keyboard of its own accord, I clutch and pull at it desperately with my left but it moves with an unholy strength* Bernie would have won

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

if she had a dick and ran the exact same campaign she almost certainly would have won

well and presented as male

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress Hillary chat.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm also a little worried about Maddow, since someone brought up poisoning.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
I admire Hillary, but I really think she needs to go fade into the background for awhile or at least be politically involved on a smaller scale. She is trying to push herself as the face of resistance, but the problem is that she is not that likeable, and this is the time for new, progressive faces. And her response to Trump's typo while having a shred of truth, was pretty embarrassing and dramatic. We don't need intelligence to be ascribed to him to feel better about our losses. What we need is for Trump to be dressed down, taken to the cleaners and come across as the strong option.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
To bring the thread back to trump, I honestly admire his committment to doing what he thinks is right regardless of optics:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-moves-to-return-russian-compounds-in-maryland-and-new-york/2017/05/31/3c4778d2-4616-11e7-98cd-af64b4fe2dfc_story.html posted:

The Trump administration is moving toward handing back to Russia two diplomatic compounds, near New York City and on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, that its officials were ejected from in late December as punishment for Moscow’s interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Apoplexy posted:

This stuff usually turns out to be a hoax.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hastings posted:

I admire Hilary, but I really think she needs to go fade into the background for awhile or at least be politically involved on a smaller scale. She is trying to push herself as the face of resistance, but the problem is that she is not that likeable, and this is the time for new, progressive faces. And her response to Trump's typo while having a shred of truth, was pretty embarrassing and dramatic. We don't need intelligence to be ascribed to him to feel better about our losses. What we need is for Trump to be dressed down, taken to the cleaners and come across as the strong option.

people complained when she was gone for a few months

then they complained that she was back

it's almost as if they are just complaining

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mustached Demon posted:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zil posted:

Does anyone else think he looks a little bit like a young long haired Paul Ryan?

https://i.imgur.com/C3jwFHv.jpg No one cares about this one.

Mmmmmmmmm no not really.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, I don't think the problem with "I'm with her" was sexism.

ozmunkeh fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 1, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nothus posted:

Easy. "government social program" is free money for lazy poors who don't pay any taxes. Things like social security and the mortgage interest deduction don't count because I pay my taxes, and I'm just getting back what I paid in.

It's flawed, but there's a logic to it.

Social security is literally our money. It's run by the government and used for more things than retirement, but it is disingenuous as gently caress to tell someone in their 70's on SS, that they are receiving a hand-out.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

This stuff usually turns out to be a hoax.

there was another one found 4 days ago, though. I'm hoping it's a hoax still, but it doesn't sound like a one-time thing :(

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

ozmunkeh posted:

She was a dogshit candidate who ran a dogshit campaign and got her rear end handed to her by a fat loving child with dementia.

No she was an OK candidate who should have won and there's a lot of reasons why she didn't but we're definitely going to blame her alone because of reasons that are definitely not irrational hillary hate

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Pull up thread PULL UP

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Going back to that video about the town hall meeting, this just makes me furious about our system

The GOP and Trump are dividing the country further and further, and they give no fucks. It's all about the money

None of them will admit that this division is wrong, because they're in their safe spaces. And people like Hannity only add fuel to this poo poo fest

loving assholes, the lot of them

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

awesmoe posted:

To bring the thread back to trump, I honestly admire his committment to doing what he thinks is right regardless of optics:

As I learned from reading the /r/politics thread on the subject: Trump is now 1/3 on undoing poo poo Obama did to punish Russia. Almost 2/3. Sanctions, ejecting spies, and closing these facilities. Sanctions are about to go boom, we know that much. How much longer before he lets in the same spies Obama booted as punishment for loving with the elections? I can't imagine it'll take until the end of summer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm also a little worried about Maddow, since someone brought up poisoning.

What, is she sick or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Rachel maddow is fine, you guys, she is on memorial day vacation like most tv personalities.

• Locked thread