Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

revmoo posted:

No way that thing will ever put out decent sound

Don't know about this one in particular, but these school players can typically put out decent enough sound, so the kids in the back of the classroom could hear it easily. And when in doubt, you can use the headphone jack to hook it up to some external speakers. :v:

This isn't going to be my main turntable, for sure. Just been wanted something to handle 78s, and the portability (well, 20 pounds of portability) is an added bonus. They're notorious for heavy tracking, so I probably won't be using it on my main collection with any regularity.

Califone apparently still makes these, but now they look just like overpriced Crosleys.

Schremp Howard posted:

Did McGraw-Hill ever press any vinyl? That's the only company I can remember making audio we used in school. It was basically the Old Testament but used for vocabulary.

There are a few listings on discogs, but I'm sure there's a lot more out there.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

"Decent sound" is subjective? I mean yeah they get loud as hell but they aren't exactly good reproducers.

My partner teaches preschool, I got him an old Califone for Christmas one year, he uses the hell out of it with thrift store records and old children's stuff. His kids love it because they've never seen one before.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I ended up buying a turntable yesterday, a Rega Planar 1. A hefty enough purchase, but I'd just bought three records (to go with the two I already had) and didn't have anything to listen to them on. I'd been thinking about this for quite a while, so while it was impulse in actually handing over the cash, the record player has been on the cards for a while.

Now I need to figure out buying habits. There's a few record stores in town, mostly second hand places. One I've been through seems to deal in a lot of popular second hand stuff with trade-ins from people clearing out their old 80s and 70s records. It's not exactly the most pleasant place to shop. Another guy, who had some second hand players seems to deal in whatever can be picked up cheaply and turned around. There's very little I recognise there, and what I do recognise is less acclaimed albums from bigger names. There's also places selling new records, one chain store and another independent, but then you're looking at €28 for rereleases of staples and discographies of huge bands.

The final place I went to is run by a guy I have a lot of respect for. He's selling stuff from anywhere between €10 and €25 for second and new. I picked up three albums there yesterday (which prompted me to buy the record player.) If you go purely on Discogs prices these albums are easily available, and don't go for much. Like an album I picked up for €13 going for $3 online. When you take into account shipping, and all that there's still a mark up in the store, but because the shop is run by a guy who's doing a lot I have to feel whatever savings I'm losing from not being thrifty is being made up by a store that has a pretty decent collection of both new stuff for lower prices than the chain stores, old stuff that's somewhat knowledgeably selected for the the store, and the ability to listen to anything open, and spend a couple of hours browsing through there. Plus it's a newly opened place, by a guy running from a flea market previously who gave me a fair bit of time when I was noodling around wanting to buy but not buying.

What I picked up yesterday;

Della Reese - Della at Basin St. East (€13) - (Probably the best sounding recording I listened to while browsing.)
Joan Baez - Come From the Shadows (€15 Brazilian recording) - (Shamefully I'd never heard of her, but I liked the cover, and her pained singing suited my hangover.)
Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs (€20 new) - (He had all of the Syd Barrett's main recordings, unlike everywhere else, and they were all cheaper than anywhere else locally I had happened to see them.)

All that came to €48 in total, but he knocked it down to €40. And given what I've said about it being a nice place, run by a decent guy who seemed happy for me to take my time at 11am on a Tuesday morning it's worth supporting the place.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Luna just announced a new covers LP and an instrumental EP hell yeah

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
New poo poo:

I'm real loving excited to aggravate my neighbors with this Diamanda album.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Carpenter Brut's triple LP album TRILOGY is up on Amazon UK and FR for pre-order. They usually sell out in a heartbeat, depending on quantity so if you want it, better place your order quick.

Only two decent songs (and one excellent music video) and I'm still debating. Between this and preordering the Cigarettes After Sex album, I've made some choices lately.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Mrenda posted:

If you go purely on Discogs prices these albums are easily available, and don't go for much. Like an album I picked up for €13 going for $3 online.

Also take into account condition and country location. Lots of times it may look like a record is $3 on discogs but it's for a g copy or in another country. Try to look for the price people are charging for vg+/vg+ or better.

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
So my half brother passed away a few years ago, and his mother asked me if I wanted his vinyl collection. I was only recently able to pick it up, and now have the daunting task of cataloging the whole thing (my guess is I've got 2-3k albums). I plan on keeping a small collection of stuff that interests me, and selling off the rest.

I've started cataloging with discogs, and I've looked at their grading guide, but since I have no experience with vinyl I'm not very confident in the quality levels I'm assigning. How do I figure out if what I think is "very good+" is what someone interested in buying thinks is?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm not even close to a profession grader, but I look at the difference between, say, VG+ and NM- as if there is any visible blemish on the record surface at all. If there's even so much as a fine inaudible scratch it can't be more than VG+, NM is for records that are unsealed but could pass for totally unplayed. Between VG and VG+, VG has a few more scratches or imperfections than VG+, still inaudible but maybe you hear a pop or two if you have a really sensitive turntable.

Basically the varying degrees of "VG" are for if the record has visible imperfections but still sounds great, then it drops down to G if you start hearing poo poo that affects the music or see really obvious deep scratches, dimples, groove wear (not-shiny surface), etc. In other words just don't worry about it, most people aren't going to gripe over you thinking something is VG+ when it's closer to VG, as long as you don't try to pass off a G as a VG.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Phearson posted:

So my half brother passed away a few years ago, and his mother asked me if I wanted his vinyl collection. I was only recently able to pick it up, and now have the daunting task of cataloging the whole thing (my guess is I've got 2-3k albums). I plan on keeping a small collection of stuff that interests me, and selling off the rest.

I've started cataloging with discogs, and I've looked at their grading guide, but since I have no experience with vinyl I'm not very confident in the quality levels I'm assigning. How do I figure out if what I think is "very good+" is what someone interested in buying thinks is?

It might be worth it to get a professional to help you. That is a lot of records to go through and grade.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Who wants their own personalized picture disc? You do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVZwPLzjqeI

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Vinyl thread help!!! What was the album the came out with a black man rising out of the water?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Who wants their own personalized picture disc? You do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVZwPLzjqeI

I want to get a picture disc that's a recording of me reading posts from this thread for the length of an LP. The image on it will be Anthony Fantano drinking Drano.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Vinyl thread help!!! What was the album the came out with a black man rising out of the water?

Holy diver?

He's not black, but the cover is dark...

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Thundercat - Drunk

e: a 4x10" vinyl release is the dumbest loving thing, too

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

JehovahsWetness posted:

Thundercat - Drunk

Oh poo poo yeah.

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not even close to a profession grader, but I look at the difference between, say, VG+ and NM- as if there is any visible blemish on the record surface at all. If there's even so much as a fine inaudible scratch it can't be more than VG+, NM is for records that are unsealed but could pass for totally unplayed. Between VG and VG+, VG has a few more scratches or imperfections than VG+, still inaudible but maybe you hear a pop or two if you have a really sensitive turntable.

Basically the varying degrees of "VG" are for if the record has visible imperfections but still sounds great, then it drops down to G if you start hearing poo poo that affects the music or see really obvious deep scratches, dimples, groove wear (not-shiny surface), etc. In other words just don't worry about it, most people aren't going to gripe over you thinking something is VG+ when it's closer to VG, as long as you don't try to pass off a G as a VG.

Thanks, that actually helps a lot!

sporklift posted:

It might be worth it to get a professional to help you. That is a lot of records to go through and grade.

I know it's a lot of work, but I'm interested in going through the whole collection anyways to pick out what interests me. I figure I'll give it a shot and find someone else to do it if it ends up being too much.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

JehovahsWetness posted:

Thundercat - Drunk

Counter point, more sleeve art

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Phearson posted:

sorry for your loss (if you guys were close, even so, that sucks), but that sounds like an incredible opportunity to get to know the guy I suppose and a lot of records, holy cow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Isaac Hayes - Black Moses?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

Thundercat - Drunk

Yeah, I love the album but it's a chore to listen to on vinyl.

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?

dorium posted:

sorry for your loss (if you guys were close, even so, that sucks), but that sounds like an incredible opportunity to get to know the guy I suppose and a lot of records, holy cow.

Thanks, and yea, that was my thought. We got along well, but didn't see each other much because we lived a number of states apart. I knew a little about his love of music, and this gives me an opportunity to explore that more.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Depending on where you live, it might be worth looking into some local record stores that could take the whole collection off of your hands. If you have any local friends that collect (a lot) they'd be able to point you to the ones with the best rates.

There's a place where I live that always surprises me with how much money I get back from selling a chunk of stuff I don't want.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enos Cabell posted:

I'd love to have it but this and the almost $40 price tag kind of derailed that

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Phearson posted:

Thanks, and yea, that was my thought. We got along well, but didn't see each other much because we lived a number of states apart. I knew a little about his love of music, and this gives me an opportunity to explore that more.

You should pick one record at random a day and show it to us for the next 8 years

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDamZjCbkI

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

JehovahsWetness posted:

Thundercat - Drunk

i always think of this cover when i see that one

(good album - get it as well)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Enos Cabell posted:

All you need is a record changer. Problem solved.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
don't those only really work if the side order is alternating? i got my cousin the who's Tommy and it was record one: 1/4, record two: 2/3 to make better use of that

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Hah, my 78 year old mother in law made fun of my record player because it didn't flip sides automatically like her old one did.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Those things will scratch the poo poo out of your records. I know, I had one.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Phearson posted:

Thanks, that actually helps a lot!

I know it's a lot of work, but I'm interested in going through the whole collection anyways to pick out what interests me. I figure I'll give it a shot and find someone else to do it if it ends up being too much.

Of course go through them first. That's gonna be the fun part. Grading that many? Sucks. Vinyl dorks are almost as bad as comic nerds regarding condition. That would be a nightmare to sell (especially individually) if you are new to the record game.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
there's a guy at the music festival I'm at with a few crates of records. they're fine records but the prices are amazingly bad, 15-20 dollars over normal prices.

his booth was swarming with dudes in tank tops and plastic sunglasses getting taken for a ride though so more power to him.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Carpenter Brut's triple LP album TRILOGY is up on Amazon UK and FR for pre-order. They usually sell out in a heartbeat, depending on quantity so if you want it, better place your order quick.

This is up on Amazon US now if you don't want to dick around with shipping from the EU.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

winter 2016 finally came around and Hyper Bleep Blooper finally shipped, the packaging is insane and also way too glossy to get good pictures of,
http://imgur.com/a/yhQ4s

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SeXReX posted:

winter 2016 finally came around and Hyper Bleep Blooper finally shipped, the packaging is insane and also way too glossy to get good pictures of,
http://imgur.com/a/yhQ4s

Did Aqualung steal your records?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

BigFactory posted:

Did Aqualung steal your records?

yeah that's what he's stuffng in his coat

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

stay depressed posted:

there's a guy at the music festival I'm at with a few crates of records. they're fine records but the prices are amazingly bad, 15-20 dollars over normal prices.

his booth was swarming with dudes in tank tops and plastic sunglasses getting taken for a ride though so more power to him.

That guy's cool

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Hell yeah my dude

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/06/trent-reznor-releasing-quake-soundtrack-on-vinyl/

Quake soundtrack is getting a vinyl release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://imgur.com/a/fkw3c

In case anyone cares, here's a few pictures of that much maligned LPbin I picked up a little while ago. I'm not exactly Ansel Adams, sorry about the kinda crappy pictures. Not much to say - it's exactly what I expected and I like it. Particleboard with a veneer. Had to put it together and took about an hour. Generally seems well designed and solid. I haven't moved everything into it yet, but it doesn't feel unbalanced at all with just having the top full. I forgot to click on the shelf liner option when I ordered it so I'll have to put something in there to keep the records from sliding around.