Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raylen posted:

I love when they advocate for violence against their detractors but then get all up in arms when their supporters are attacked. I know it's an easy setup to use out of the GOP playbook but it's starting to get pretty transparent. Or the whole "TRUMP NEVER ADVOCATED VIOLENCE" when he implies a "second amendment solution" to Hillary.

They pulled the whole "imagine of Conservatives said and did things like they do about Trump and his family" thing and that always makes me laugh out loud. It must be fun living in a totally deluded bubble where your absurdly false nonsense never gets challenged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Deadulus posted:

Yeah if they were gonna go with something like that. It should've been something more like 'She is with you'.

That's...actually a pretty good one, I have to say.:stare:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grassy Knowles posted:

Except that you've deliberately been paying into it. That was your responsibility in the social contract, which you have fulfilled by that age. Do not allow them to frame the debate. It's not a handout; it's thievery to take it away.

Alright JFK jokemans help me out here. Should we, as liberals, frame social security as welfare in order to destigmatize welfare in general? Or do we frame social security as a mandatory retirement account as part of working in America?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

These just aren't enjoyable like they were during the campaign

https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/870090101765931008

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

logger posted:

All it took for a white-supremacist in Portland to kill a few people was to be told not to yell at Muslim women on a bus.

We can only hope it was something like Jeff Sessions feeling homesick, but at times like this it should be considered a threat that someone would go through with that outside an African American History Museum.

I mean, it IS a threat and should be treated as such. And like its the entire reason "Hate Laws" exist because there's stuff that should be treated more seriously because it has history and can spark a dormant fire very easily.

But I do think its probably likely it was the extent of some racist rear end in a top hat's courage. At least until getting away with it makes him want to do something bigger or inspires someone with a little more conviction.

Josh Lyman posted:

Ok. Now not only have Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee tried but Hillary has nearly 24 hours after it started. Can we officially bury this one now?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 1, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder if the Portland murders will result in people not being cordial with crazy white supremacists on public transit and instead just straightarming them immediately.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Majorian posted:

What would "taking this seriously" look like, just out of curiosity?

Not accuse it of being a false flag, for one.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, it IS a threat and should be treated as such. And like its the entire reason "Hate Laws" exist because there's stuff that should be treated more seriously because it has history and can spark a dormant fire very easily.

But I do think its probably likely it was the extent of some racist rear end in a top hat's courage. At least until getting away with it makes him want to do something bigger or inspires someone with a little more conviction.

Look, I'm not meaning to dump on people here, because I'm pretty sure most of you agree with me in different words. But the guy who does this today is the same guy posting racist YouTube comments 6 months ago. Daily escalation is the name of the game now, and any attempt to underplay this cannot be tolerated.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

apokaladle posted:

Yeah, no, if the first responses are "lol fake" then those very people aren't taking things seriously. I'm so loving sick and tired of seeing people "chill" while this poo poo accelerates daily.

One person in the thread said it was a hoax.

I'm sorry about the chill comment. I only said that because it is hard not to be scared by this poo poo.

People should stand up for others when they're witnessing injustice; however, it's not something that we can stop.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Guys, her campaign slogan was "Stronger Together", which is a decent summary of how she was trying to position the Democratic Party, big tent and all that. It just wasn't a great slogan.

I don't want to get involved in primary bickering but her slogan simply wasn't "I'm With Her".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

apokaladle posted:

Look, I'm not meaning to dump on people here, because I'm pretty sure most of you agree with me in different words. But the guy who does this today is the same guy posting racist YouTube comments 6 months ago. Daily escalation is the name of the game now, and any attempt to underplay this cannot be tolerated.

Yeah, I don't think we're disagreeing. We're both saying to treat the act of vandalism as a serious thing because it could escalate to violence. Again, its the answer to the question "Why do we have Hate Crime?" This. This is why we treat otherwise mild crimes like vandalism more seriously if they carry dangerous historical significance.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 1, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's real you doofuses http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/noose-found-national-museum-african-american-history-and-culture-180963519/

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Apoplexy posted:

Calling Bernie race-blind is a disservice to everyone living below the poverty line, who are disproportionately a racial minority.
I don't think being really good on class and having a blind spot for race are mutually exclusive, even though a lot of race-based problems are exacerbated by class (and vice versa). What I was trying to get at with "race-blind" is that I always got the sense he thought that if you could solve America's class problems then most of the racism would just melt away. That said, Hillary had exactly the opposite problem. My feeling (which is basically irrelevant since I'm a white Brit) is that Bernie was probably the better of the two for poor minorities, but neither of them were ideal.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder if the Portland murders will result in people not being cordial with crazy white supremacists on public transit and instead just straightarming them immediately.

You can assume someone making a public outburst like that is armed since that would be a likely reason for being that brazen.

The white supremacist movement needs to be squashed immediately. Unfortunately, the best tactics towards fascists are fascist tactics.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

STAC Goat posted:

I have no doubt about that, but I also worry that if they were caught during the act they would have literally hurt someone.

I also have no doubt that if they killed someone while trying to hang a noose in front of the African American History Museum the victim would have been vilified by the right, because that seems to be where the country is these days.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

They pulled the whole "imagine of Conservatives said and did things like they do about Trump and his family" thing and that always makes me laugh out loud. It must be fun living in a totally deluded bubble where your absurdly false nonsense never gets challenged.

In all fairness, liberals do the same thing but not with violence and poo poo except for the shithead Antifa losers. For example, talking heads constantly are saying poo poo like "If Hillary was President, she'd be facing impeachment right now!!!" All hypotheticals aside, Trump is just flooding the zone with all kinds of garbage.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Egbert Souse posted:

You can assume someone making a public outburst like that is armed since that would be a likely reason for being that brazen.

The white supremacist movement needs to be squashed immediately. Unfortunately, the best tactics towards fascists are fascist tactics.

Well, I mean, the government could investigate them and try to take them apart.

But oh yeah, Jeff Sessions said the DOJ wasn't doing that anymore.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Here is a news so you will all shut up about that person

https://twitter.com/Evan_Rosenfeld/status/870071829431320576

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raylen posted:

In all fairness, liberals do the same thing but not with violence and poo poo. For example, talking heads constantly are saying poo poo like "If Hillary was President, she'd be facing impeachment right now!!!" All hypotheticals aside, Trump is just flooding the zone with all kinds of garbage.

Its not the hypothetical that's eyerolling. Its the selective memory/vision about all the poo poo conservatives throw at Democrats. Like, they literally pretend no one said or did poo poo towards Obama. Which is a level of delusion I just still haven't processed.

In some alternate world Sean Hannity or Laura Ingraham go on some show where the host just plays one of those Daily Show highlight reels of hypocritical statements.

And, like, the Hillary thing is less eye rolling when there were Republican Senators promising to start impeachment procedures on Day 1 of Hillary's Presidency for the same sort of stuff we know Trump has done.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 1, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Raylen posted:

In all fairness, liberals do the same thing but not with violence and poo poo except for the shithead Antifa losers. For example, talking heads constantly are saying poo poo like "If Hillary was President, she'd be facing impeachment right now!!!" All hypotheticals aside, Trump is just flooding the zone with all kinds of garbage.

Hitler said that the only way to stop fascism was with violence against the fascists before they gained power. So, yeah, SHITHEAD ANTIFA LOSERS TRYING TO STOP FASCISM HOW DARE THEY

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Raylen posted:

"If Hillary was President, she'd be facing impeachment right now!!!"

The Republicans are still trying to burn her at the stake about Benghazi even after 11 investigations failed to find her culpable, so I don't see how this is incorrect.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Threats like noose in museum tell other racist poo poo bags that they're not alone. The jackass who left the noose might be too chicken poo poo to do anything but it just might be enough to push the next Dylan Roof forward.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

That part right there makes it a hand out of sorts. At the very, very least it's a free retirement account all Americans qualify for regardless of where they work. That's a handout.

I'm operating under the assumption that most people receiving SS checks are retired people who payed into it during their careers.

If I'm wrong, just link me something that says otherwise.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

logger posted:

I have no doubt about that, but I also worry that if they were caught during the act they would have literally hurt someone.

Possibly, but that's why progressives need to be careful. We may not love the cops, but if we had witnessed something like this, that would be a good situation in which to call them. The guys who died or got injured in Portland are loving heroes, and need to be remembered as such, but there's a lesson in their deaths/injuries too. We need to follow their example and stand up for people who are being harassed by racists/homophobes/whoever, but we also need to keep our eyes peeled for weapons or other dangers. In this situation with the museum, there's not much we can do about the situation as it stands. All we can do is resolve to do our best when we see something bad going down. I think we're all on the same page on that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ReidRansom posted:

gently caress yeah, surveilling the press!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Apoplexy posted:

Hitler said that the only way to stop fascism was with violence against the fascists before they gained power. So, yeah, SHITHEAD ANTIFA LOSERS TRYING TO STOP FASCISM HOW DARE THEY

Hitler was completely full of poo poo whenever he publicly talked about the Nazis rise to power so don't use him as a reliable narrator you idiot.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Apoplexy posted:

Hmmm yes, let's use violence to stop the violence. That always works!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ReidRansom posted:

This seems bad.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

That's the problem with the abbreviation. When people proudly talk about how anti antifa they are, it slightly obscures the double negative.

^^ that bit above is real fascist tactics while we're on the subject :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

I'm operating under the assumption that most people receiving SS checks are retired people who payed into it during their careers.

If I'm wrong, just link me something that says otherwise.

I'm operating under the same. I'm claiming the management of the money people pay into it counts as a handout.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

This is the moment covfefe became president.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Deadulus posted:

Yeah if they were gonna go with something like that. It should've been something more like 'She's with you'.

See, this guy gets it.

"Make america great again."

"Change we can believe in"

"Yes we can."

Those are actual campaign slogans that don't suck rear end. I'm with her sounds as resigned as the majority of Clinton voters felt come election day. Yeah, she sucks but the other guy is an orange lunatic so I guess, I'm with her.

"She's with you" "She's with me" either of them hit the same buttons and don't sound like something I'd say before pulling the trigger.

theflyingorc posted:

That's not actually her campaign slogan.

It's one if them. It also speaks volumes that I, a guy who watched approximately eight billion hours of election news coverage, don't know what Hillary Clinton's campaign slogan is but that I can name like... Four trump ones.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

Who cares what most Trump voters did? What matters were those voters who usually vote D, but didn't this time around. Those voters swung those Blue Wall states.

and pretty much every one of those i've talked to hated hillary's guts but agreed with her policy positions if you neglected to mention that hillary held the same position. if you did they'd turn around and say they disagreed

they don't even know what the blue wall is

there's a lot of reasons hillary lost but competence isn't it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Article says it's FISA as well, but I thought that could only be used if at least one party was a foreign agent.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

What could go wrong?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Caros posted:

See, this guy gets it.

"Make america great again."

"Change we can believe in"

"Yes we can."

Those are actual campaign slogans that don't suck rear end. I'm with her sounds as resigned as the majority of Clinton voters felt come election day. Yeah, she sucks but the other guy is an orange lunatic so I guess, I'm with her.

"She's with you" "She's with me" either of them hit the same buttons and don't sound like something I'd say before pulling the trigger.

It's one if them. It also speaks volumes that I, a guy who watched approximately eight billion hours of election news coverage, don't know what Hillary Clinton's campaign slogan is but that I can name like... Four trump ones.

The election is over

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

This is a very bad thing that should not be allowed to happen.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

Soiled Meat

Captain Invictus posted:

Once again this is the exact same poo poo that happened during the Nixon Administration.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
i mean people barely talk about voter suppression because they're so eager to talk about how hillary deserves all the blame

even in this thread, where it comes up more than most places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

Pillbug

apokaladle posted:

That's the problem with the abbreviation. When people proudly talk about how anti antifa they are, it slightly obscures the double negative.

^^ that bit above is real fascist tactics while we're on the subject :(

I'm not totally anti-Antifa. I'm just against using violence to somehow force fascists to think differently. It's literally playing into their narrative of "Oh look at these violent extremists! We need more security and surveillance to take care of them!"

• Locked thread