Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Five Hole
Dec 18, 2012

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't mind replay? Takes a bit of the inconsistency out. I just don't know why it takes so long most of the time. That should have been called back after like 3 looks at the replay

QUIT TRYING TO TALK SENSE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

it's insane how good the Penguins goaltending has been this playoffs, they should just joint Conn Smythe it to Fleury/Murray

gently caress Pittsburgh, but this is def legit true.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't mind replay?
yes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

loving LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOl

I hope a shark eats you

Edit: offsides review is poo poo like 99% of the time though

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

just when you think playoff posting has reached a high, this game happens

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Spring Break My Heart posted:

it was meant very specifically for the crazy 10 m offside completely blown calls. i think briere and duchene were the big ones?

What are you saying, you can only do an offside challenge if it is super duper obvious?

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't mind replay? Takes a bit of the inconsistency out. I just don't know why it takes so long most of the time. That should have been called back after like 3 looks at the replay

Agreed. The alternative is that there is the rare chance that a bad, missed offside call has large influence over a game of importance.

Five Hole
Dec 18, 2012

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

The three goals will make the sound, toot, and toot, and toot.

Like the angels trumpet the coming of the divine.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rinne used up all his good in the first three rounds

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

If the NHL is going to keep the replay they need to make the offsides call based on the plane of the blue line, no more of this "skate has to be on the ice" crap.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hip Now and Wow! posted:

If it's too close for the linesman to notice, then it's probably not actually going to have an effect on the play, especially if the goal happens a minute after they enter the zone. It's just a waste of time, and even then it's not a guarantee they'll get the call right.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

grack posted:

If the NHL is going to keep the replay they need to make the offsides call based on the plane of the blue line, no more of this "skate has to be on the ice" crap.
:agreed:

edit: although parallax effect can throw a wrench into that, especially if the skate is high enough

Kale
May 14, 2010

Thanks for sucking all life out of the finals again their pens

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

grack posted:

And inconclusive calls need to stand.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

uh? interference? what?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

holy poo poo that is actually the weakest call i have ever seen

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

So you don't call a charge but you call that??

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
As an Ottawa fan this makes me feel a bit better. Still, go Preds :(

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I'm so confused by NHL officiating.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crosby got a penalty? Whaaaaaat?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

shyduck posted:

edit: although parallax effect can throw a wrench into that, especially if the skate is high enough

i have no idea why nbc doesn't do it, but you can counteract this by showing synchronized angles simultaneously

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
So leaving feet is ok now? Noted

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao that call

I loving hate the penguins and all but bad officiating just ruins loving everything

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

like the preds dude didn't even try selling it. if he had sold it it'd be one thing , but givme a fokken break

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Also performance reviews for referees done by an outside agency.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

ITT we all post our truths

im: drunk

how you liking those Plinys?

this poo poo is pretty good btw

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good soup! posted:

lmao that call

I loving hate the penguins and all but bad officiating just ruins loving everything

I wish I could blame the poo poo performance of the Preds on the officiating

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
:lol: Crosby's face when the whistle blew

We all made the same face, man.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm so confused by NHL officiating.

you're not alone I think the refs are too

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

shyduck posted:

Even so it would be better than what they have now. I get that the skate being on the ice has been the standard for offsides for decades but if the NHL is keeping the offsides challenge it has to be simplified, and made more obvious. Like, what advantage could possibly be gained when a player is straddling the blue line but his back skate is like, 2cm off the ice?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Revol posted:

What are you saying, you can only do an offside challenge if it is super duper obvious?
im saying that the actual reason that they implemented was because of a series of completely blown calls where the refs had no idea what was going on instead of anything on the borderline, and thus his post was incorrect.

id be fine if the standard were "super duper obvious". but the least they could do is not have it affect plays where it was fractionally offside and then the goal is scored a minute later on nothing even remotely close to a rush chance generated via offside

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

when was the last time officiating was this consistently awful throughout playoffs

also that loving horn is objectively loving terrible god drat

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Math You posted:

As an Ottawa fan this makes me feel a bit better. Still, go Preds :(
it makes me feel 10x worse.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Guys, what if the Preds weren't actually good, but the Blackhawks, Blues and Ducks were just really, really bad?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

okay, i think we are officially past the point where even the pens can choke this lead away

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the penguins are going to win the stanley cup, in 4 games

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

subban and malkin with the stupidest fight ive ever seen

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good soup! posted:

when was the last time officiating was this consistently awful throughout playoffs

also that loving horn is objectively loving terrible god drat
officiating in this years playoffs is not any worse than it normally is.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Bang Me Please posted:

how you liking those Plinys?

this poo poo is pretty good btw

I live near trve brewing

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

what a poo poo fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

:stare: malkin and subban